Localization vs Original

Tolvir

Was I the only one to have immediate Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time flashbacks?

Yes?

... Okay.

No, you weren't. This is especially odd for me as I didn't care about OoT that much

Edited by MCProductions

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was I the only one to have immediate Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time flashbacks?

Yes?

... Okay.

I like Kaden as a name much more now. Before I was just kinda eh about it.

Yes you were, mine flashback was Majora's Mask

No, you weren't. This is especially odd for me as I didn't care about OoT that much

sorry

Edited by maybe

After looking at these changes, I honestly regret not pre-ordering the Special Edition. Hopefully my local stores may have one when someone cancelled their's (not holding my breath).

In the Japanese version's defense, the aggressive undertones are probably more obvious if you're a native. I've seen Awakening from both sides and I can see why it's difficult to directly translate some of the things, and a lot of the times I try to translate stuff I end up making the sentences extremely long in order to convey the full message the Japanese text carries.

I'll be getting the JP version tomorrow, and chances are high that one of my favorite streamers will be playing the ENG version, so I'll see for myself. I really doubt the ENG version would be so much more better in comparison but at least they did a good job if so many people are happy about it. As long as the characters are in-character and realistic I can't complain.

NeptuniasBeard has now done Chapter 9 and Kana's paralogue: https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/4599p3/differences_between_the_localization_and/

[spoiler= Really Long Text Block]

Chapter 9

• Title: Kingdom of Gods --> Of Love, Peace, and Chicken GreaseLand of Gods

• "Principality of Izumo" has been shortened to "Izumo"

• Corrin says Izumo looks beautiful. In the original he says it feels divine.

• In the original, Azura doubts if Nohrians actually attacked Izumo. In the localization, she feels the opposite

• The people of Izumo are now "Izumites"

• When the Izumite asks who they are, Corrin tells Azura that they admittedly look suspicious. Azura tells him not to worry and explains the situation to the guard. In the localization, Corrin greets the Izumite and explains the situation himself.

• Azura and Corrin are more wary of Izumo in the localization.

• In the original, Sakura says she hopes they get to meet Izana soon. In the localization she expects to wait around for a while according to rumors she's heard.

• Izana offers Corrin food and drinks. In the original he asks them to relax.

• Izana was voted best hair in Izumo 5 years straight in the localization. His greeting is significantly longer overall

• In the localization when Corrin wonders if they're at the wrong place, Izana gets an extra line where he claims his house is the rightest place of all

• In the original, Sakura finds it surprising that a neutral country has so many doctors. This line is skipped in the localization

• The room Izana suggests they go in is explicitly called a spa in the localization.

• Localized Corrin is surprisingly more oblivious to the room Izana guides him to.

• In the original, when Corrin asks Izana if they're reallly in a relaxation room, he comes clean and says it's really an execution room. In the localization, he says it could be considered the relaxation room, as they will sleep forever in it.

• In the localization, Zola wonders if Corrin even remembers who he is before introducing himself

• Corrin gets an extra line where he tells Zora he just doesn't give a fuck who he is

• When Corrin asks where Izana is, Zola changes the subject by showing off his desperate need for attention. In the original, he answers that Izana is in the prison

• Kaze praises Hinoka for being correct in her suspicions. In the original, he praises her for her plan working

• Azura says she had suspicions as well and thanks Hinoka for actually acting on her instincts. In the original, she says she was afraid Zola's men would have caught onto Hinoka's plan, then asks if Corrin and Sakura are safe

• Zola gets an extra line where he says he'll win even though they saw through his disguise

• Zola tells Corrin that he's naive and sheltered to think he'd tell them where Izana is just because he lost. In the original, he throws a tantrum and says he doesn't have to tell him anything (IN ALL CAAAAPS). Both forgetting that Zola already told them Izana was in the jail

• In the original, Zola get's a few lines as he slowly tries to get out Leo's name. This is skipped in the localization, probably because Leo wasn't even on screen as Zola was adressing him

• In the original, Leo calls Zola a disgrace to Nohr's soldiers. In the localization, he says he's a disgrace to the whole kingdom.

• In the original, it is heavily implied that the entire plan was orchestrated by Leo(or he was at least in on it), as he wants to kill Zola for losing. The localization implies the plan was all on Zola, and Leo wants to kill him because he finds Zola's methods deplorable.

• Leo just sort of leaves Zola alive for some reason after threatening Corrin in the original. In the localization, Corrin convinces Leo to let Zola live (the difference here is that Leo actually acknowledges it), and Leo says they'll settle the score another time

• Izana wants to ditch the feast for a pajama party with bonbons in the localization

• Izana also had his own luxury cell in the localization, so Corrin is slightly less sympathetic

• Izana carelessly jokes that Ryoma and Takumi fell into the Bottomless Canyon. He's more serious about the possibility in the original, and has a more serious portrait to match

• Localized Corrin is skeptical of fortune telling in general.

• "Oh ancient gods... what's up?"

Kana's Paralogue

• Title: Blood Dragon's Fate -> Dragon's Blood

• Kana considers breaking into song at such a lovely day. In the original she wonders what to play.

• Kana tells the invader to get away because they look weird, then asks what they want. In the original she sits there puzzled.

• Corrin gets an extra line where he says he'll soak the fields with their blood (just right there, next to his daughter...)

• Corrin repeatedly tells Kana to get the hell out of dodge in the localization

• In the localization, Kana's transformation is preceded by her slowly slipping into her dragon form (though this is only shown through text, her growling cut off her sentences). In the original, it was done instantly.

• While both Corin's are surprised at Kana's transformation, localized Corrin seems to be under the impression that she shouldn't be able to transform

• In the original, Corrin implies there are only a few enemies and that he'll have to fight them solo. In the localization, he implies there are many more enemies and he calls his army to help (so... what the hell were they doing?)

• In the localization, Kana says she dreamt that she turned into a dragon.

• Kana asks Corrin if she's in trouble for turning into a dragon. He replies that he's actually very proud of her. In the original, she finds the idea of becoming a dragon weird. Corrin says it's not weird and that he also has the power.

• Localized Corrin throws in an apology for not visiting her enough to explain the situation.

• In the localization, Corrin namedrops Azura as the one that gave him the dragonstone. In the original, he just states that he had Kana's powers sealed.

• In the localization, Kana agrees to stay behind only if Corrin promises to visit more often. She only agrees in the original.

• Corrin gets an extra line where he states that he did all this to protect Kanna before relenting and taking her out of the deeprealms.

• Kana says "I love you" in dragon. Original Kana forgot her roots!

Edited by Hunter Saltblood

"Oh ancient gods... what's up?"

Lost it when Izana said that. This game is going to be extremely entertaining.

Anyway I think they're doing a good job with the localisation. Most of the changes in the story seem to be for the better or at least understandable. I also really like how they portrait Corrin. That line about bloodshed could've been omitted though.

NeptuniasBeard has now done Chapter 9 and Kana's paralogue: https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/4599p3/differences_between_the_localization_and/

Kana's Paralogue

• While both Corin's are surprised at Kana's transformation, localized Corrin seems to be under the impression that she shouldn't be able to transform

I think the reason for that is because Ryoma, Hinoka, Takumi, and Sakura (as well as their children) can't transform.

Unless Corrin married one of them or he is near the end of Revelation, he still believes that he's related to the Hoshidan Royals, so he probably thought that the ability to transform into a dragon is incredibly rare instead of being a result of being directly related to Anankos. This ability showing up twice in his lifetime is probably surprising to him.

Edited by Luankachu

While I prefer the original, localization is necessary.

I mean, no matter how much I bellyache, how would you guys get the game otherwise?

I feel some changes aren't necessary... I mean "Leo"? But those are petty things. The overall picture is, that people like me are just being picky.

My issue with most comparisons here, though, is that cultural context isn't taken for most people. Especially since Hoshido is fantasy Japan. Characters and their associated tropes have "quirks" that generally wouldn't fly for you. Which obviously confirms the trend that you like the localization better... because that's the purpose of it.

I like it better because I'm looking for the "Original Japanese experience", which most of you aren't.

You guys are the target audience of the localized product. Why wouldn't most of you prefer it when it's being tailored to you and your cultural values?

Edited by shadowofchaos

I mean, no matter how much I bellyache, how would you guys get the game otherwise?

I feel some changes aren't necessary... I mean "Leo"? But those are petty things. The overall picture is, that people like me are just being picky.

My issue with most comparisons here, though, is that cultural context isn't taken for most people. Especially since Hoshido is fantasy Japan. Characters and their associated tropes have "quirks" that generally wouldn't fly for you. Which obviously confirms the trend that you like the localization better... because that's the purpose of it.

I like it better because I'm looking for the "Original Japanese experience", which most of you aren't.

You guys are the target audience of the localized product. Why wouldn't most of you prefer it when it's being tailored to you and your cultural values?

What about the "original experience" makes it better than the localization other than the fact that it's original?

Obviously you have your Persona 1's and such. Terrible localizations that butcher the games. But you also have stuff like Ace Attorney which tends to read better than the originals. Take Justice for All: head of localization Janet Hsu took out Director Hotti's comments about "fixing" Pearl and replaced them with a nurse because his grabby animation put it over the top. Sometimes, a localizer flat out improves the game by adding nuances that didn't exist before. Fates seems to be doing this to be honest.

Edited by Ms. Andrews

Some of us want something a bit closer to the original experience than what we've got. I myself don't care too much one way or another; the localization is definitely looking better than Awakening's overall.

As for "Leon->Leo", if they keep his son's name the same it would be Foleo, son of Leo.

Also, some of us can be rather confrontational/passive-aggressive about things; just ignore them.

What about the "original experience" makes it better than the localization other than the fact that it's original?

Some people want to experience it the way the original creators meant it?

Like how some people don't want dubs and want to watch Kung Fu movies in original Chinese with subs?

Or how people don't like watching Harry Potter in anything but English when they don't know it?

Bug fixes are pretty much fixes they would have done anyway had they had a chance to fix them in the original.

I'm from Asia. My values are probably different from yours in regards to certain things. I just prefer the Japanese experience, because... well you have a Japanese fantasy country. The character "improvements" in the localization apply to you. Not so for me.

"Tends to read better than the originals".

Tell me, have you read it yourself in Japanese, not through the eyes of someone else's translation? Do you have the language fluency in both languages to justify your opinion for me and not just yourself?

Also, some of us can be rather confrontational/passive-aggressive about things; just ignore them.

Too late, I responded. Edited by shadowofchaos

I gotta say tho, I pretty much jumped ship on anything FE related (to the point of me missing the SFS Contest...) when the localization/censorship hater shitstorm rolled in, and I was pretty content to just go silent and just wait for the game myself to play it and all. The way I see it, my opinion is just that, mine. I usually prefer to play the game in English in a form that's comfortable to me, which leads into Rey's great comment a couple lines above. And who knows, if I like a game enough, I may go out of my way to get both the localized version and the JP version (this is the case with Tales of Vesperia and Odin Sphere, especially the former because PS3 Vesperia IS the Complete version).

That said, I am very glad to hear that the hatred is dying down and people are seeing that Treehouse is doing a good job. From the stuff i've seen, I'm not too much of a fan of Fates' story as opposed to Tellius, but if the localization adds more character/quirks/substance/etc to the game i'm all for it.