Comparing the amiibo event(s) dialogue (between JPN and ENG)

Kirokan

Hi everyone!

Between helping Vincent out with the Making of Fire Emblem book and doing other projects, I saw GameXPlain made a video with the first encounters with the amiibo characters in Fates.

I decided to take a look at them with their Japanese originals, for anyone else who is curious. There are some changes, mostly character-based, and in some cases omitted events. If you're curious, take a look at them below!

I provide in depth analysis on each post, and please remember this is not a criticism or a look at which is better, and simply to satiate curiosity. I do however provide some personal opinions on how some things could have been conveyed better, but that is all it is. xD

Marth

Lucina

Robin

Ike

Ike probably had the least changes overall, Robin next. Marth had his tone changed (he was very informal, now made formal) and talks more in Japanese (and arguably has better characterization for the brief bit of dialogue he has). Lucina is the one that changed, her formal stiffness dropped slightly, and some other minor changes ended up making an overall moderate/major change, I felt. But that's the summary of a summary.

I'm looking forward to them releasing second encounter videos, or comparing those when the games come out too. If anyone has links to videos that already show these, please feel free to share : )

Marth is at his best when he's super formal, so no complaints there. I love Lucina's as well. As for Ike and Robin, meh. I couldn't really care less about either.

The one thing I did notice is how blatantly Smash they are, and I don't know if I like that. I don't like it when series reference Smash itself such as the Smash ability in Kirby. I do enjoy Kid Icarus's jabs, but that's because it's Kid Icarus. Here it feels slightly... Awkward? I don't know what I mean honestly, but I'd rather they'd be themselves like Enherjar rather than Smash characters.

Marth is at his best when he's super formal, so no complaints there. I love Lucina's as well. As for Ike and Robin, meh. I couldn't really care less about either.

The one thing I did notice is how blatantly Smash they are, and I don't know if I like that. I don't like it when series reference Smash itself such as the Smash ability in Kirby. I do enjoy Kid Icarus's jabs, but that's because it's Kid Icarus. Here it feels slightly... Awkward? I don't know what I mean honestly, but I'd rather they'd be themselves like Enherjar rather than Smash characters.

To be fair, they're not overly obvious with the Smash references. Yes, the references are there, but at least they don't state outright the last thing they remember is fighting against Bowser or a yellow electric mouse.

To be fair, they're not overly obvious with the Smash references. Yes, the references are there, but at least they don't state outright the last thing they remember is fighting against Bowser or a yellow electric mouse.

"I was launching the other fighters…

Or were they launching me…?"

They're that close.

In Japanese, the only Smash Bros reference was made by Robin, if that helps. Lucina simply mentioned she was on a lonely path/road, rather than people around her giving applause. I'm actually most surprised Ike didn't make any reference in either version, as I assume people have played his game the least. xD (I guess Marth may be in that category too).

Indeed, Marth I always imagined more formal, so was surprising to read the Japanese dialogue. It's been awhile since I played FE11 and 12 though, so I don't quite remember how he spoke in that... though the informality fit with the nostalgic feeling better, I thought.

So many things going on in so many of the minor details. xD

Smash is likely referenced because they're amiibo are from the Smash line. I imagine it would have been different if they were from an actual Fire Emblem line.

Indeed, I mentioned this as a likely cause for the Robin reference on their post. Strange they made Lucina do it too in the localization only.

Thank you for writing up these comparisons. I'm always interested in seeing what was changed between different versions of a game, even if in this case... well, it's hard to see the purpose behind some of these changes. I'd like to see an interview with the translators at some point, but I guess those aren't the most common thing...

Thank you for writing up these comparisons. I'm always interested in seeing what was changed between different versions of a game, even if in this case... well, it's hard to see the purpose behind some of these changes. I'd like to see an interview with the translators at some point, but I guess those aren't the most common thing...

You're welcome. I love looking at differences too, and am just as confused about some of the changes. I am not advocating for super literal translations or anything, but some of those make little sense to me. xD

I really, really wish localization would release notes later on for things that were changed, from names to a few things in the dialogue like the above, too... That would be a dream come true! I know Capcom's localizers do that with Monster Hunter games sometimes. xD

I think that's exactly what they are, Einherjar. Smash is a game about amiibo coming to life and fighting eachother, and Einherjar are cards that come to life and fight. Neither of them are the actual characters themselves, and are often inaccurate in both design and personality. They're the same thing.

These Einherjar just happen to be the same ones used in Smash 4.

You're welcome. I love looking at differences too, and am just as confused about some of the changes. I am not advocating for super literal translations or anything, but some of those make little sense to me. xD

I really, really wish localization would release notes later on for things that were changed, from names to a few things in the dialogue like the above, too... That would be a dream come true! I know Capcom's localizers do that with Monster Hunter games sometimes. xD

Same. It would be nice to see their notes and reasonings for a lot of the names at least. Though, if they did that, we'd still have some people who wouldn't listen to their reasons or write it off as dumb excuses.

I think that's exactly what they are, Einherjar. Smash is a game about amiibo coming to life and fighting eachother, and Einherjar are cards that come to life and fight. Neither of them are the actual characters themselves, and are often inaccurate in both design and personality. They're the same thing.

These Einherjar just happen to be the same ones used in Smash 4.

I agree.

It should also be noted that Marth's personality and demeanor - while significantly different in this localization - are also rather different in the Shadow Dragon localization. If you compare the FE12 Fan Translation with the FE 11 Localization, you notice a very different personality. Why? Because the Localization has to both 1) Give the player important information and 2) Portray the character as a hero. The Translation is only going to seek to do the former and so you have weird values dissonances occasionally and other interesting bits like difference in focus (the individual Vs. the group you mention in your analyses).

This could also be why Lucina is different. Remember Metroid: Other M? One of the reasons Samus was written the way she was in that game was because she was intended to be portrayed as a badass to a Japanese audience, but when they went to localize it, the man responsible for Metroid refused to listen to the changes and M:OM went to be a reviled game because Western audiences didn't understand or appreciate what was going into the "This is what makes Samus a badass" train of thought. It's possible that changes made to Lucina are intended to better emphasize her as a heroine...or that it's not the same Lucina (like Severa, Owain, and Inigo tell us when they interact with her).

If anything, I don't think this is the Alt!Lucina that you recruit and control in Fire Emblem: Awakening. I think this is a grown-up Baby Lucina who lived in a post-Grima defeat world and wound up here because a wizard did it.