Frozen's mapping and spriting thread (plz leave feedback)

Frigid

I couldn't quite tell what was going on still. The colors, though slightly better, still didn't help with the shape.

[spoiler=some edits to scale and magnified]3e6ec96b50.png

I hope you do not mind, as showing you some of the things I would personally change is easier than out right explaining myself; I tend to unintentionally express myself in a vague manner. Here is your work in the center with my edit to the left and four vanilla swordmasters to the right.To start, the colors are still not up to par with the vanilla sprites. Lightest skin tone is shared with any white that battle sprites may use-- that was the first change I made, easily done by matching the face to the sword and to the armor white, and that white stolen from an official sprite (which I do recommend you get accustomed to in the meanwhile until you understand and can manipulate a digital palette efficiently as it is easier). Another thing that you do more in your sprite that the official do not is the over use of border. Border lines aren't necessarily a bad thing, but on a piece so small as a battle sprite, it takes up precious space and comes off too stark. The same can be done by the darkest shades to give a pseudo border. The head was slightly blobby and I wasn't sure what the hair was supposed to be, so I just made something up (spiky hair protagonist was a safe bet haha). For the heads, I'd tell you to just splice off the official sprites and edit from there. The size of the sprite was also quite...stumpy. I stretched his near leg and pulled his torso up a little to remedy that. I added curvature to the katana, as I assumed you were reaching for that and not a skinny rapier-esque katana. It's also no touching the ground, yeah? If it is supposed to, disregard the disconnected shadow on the ground. Hiding the far arm by about a pixel helps with his stout look that gave him a forward facing position, or worse, if he was supposed to be facing left, a Rob Liefield anatomy. Hair usually has three shades, and skin has four (for a lighter complexion, this is usually brown, peach, light flesh, and white). I wasn't sure what was going on with the rest of the design exactly, such as the shoulder pads, the coat collar, the chest piece, etc., so I just left them mostly alone. This wasn't meant to be a "Hey bby lemme do that for you," but just a pointer to help you improve and get you in the right direction, thusly it isn't a finished work. Anti-aliasing is your friend, and it would be a good idea to practice it as it improves sprite quality substantially. Avoid pillow shading (kind of what the hair was having?) and banding (what the far leg, the one on our right, had).

Most importantly, keep up the hard work. None of the experienced spriters got to where they were overnight!

Edited by Princess Peachar

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Peachar I don't mind edits, in fact I like them and I feel I learned quite a bit from this (though I ended up mimicking your edit a lot, which fills me with a bit of shame). My stuff is free to use and edit anyway (and I'll make sure this is something worth considering someday), so it's not an issue. But yeah, thanks.

ajuhsw2.png

I took your advice into account, except for the white (I don't like it since I feel it's really restrictive on what palettes you can come up with (especially since this sprite has white in the armor)). I added 1 more color to the skin and 1 to the katana. I know this (and the extra hair shade) puts me above 16 colors, but I'm not too bothered by that. Having 16 or less colors is definitely something I'm gonna try with most of my sprites, but if palette control and hack insertability get in the way of what I want to design, then I'll have to go with the later.

Fates ate up quite a bit of my time, but I'm back, and I revamped the Swordmaster sprite.

o8tjnSR.png

I ended up sharing colors in ways I said I wouldn't do, but oh well.

Which helmet should I go with?

Also, I made a map based on the Cheve map from Fates.

zuHtz97.png

EDIT: Does anyone know a good reference for black colors? I don't think there's an official palette with black colors in the games.

Edited by Frozen_Blades81

• 2 weeks later...

So, it's been some time since I last showed up here.

I, unfortunately, haven't had internet for quite a while. I can post from my phone, but I still don't have internet in my laptop, so I haven't been able to post my progress.

So, uh, yeah I'm still spriting I guess. I'm gonna try to post my progress through my phone later.

Why don't you just tether WiFi from your phone?

I... Didn't know you could do that... Wow.

Thanks, man. You're my hero.

9nCmEBd.png

Finally got started on the animation. I put Lloyd's sprites there as reference, but I decided later to do my own thing for the pose before the strike.

I also made another map based on Fates, this time of Palace Macarath (which I now realize has a few mistakes. Dammit)

wdAtJGE.png

nQvttUy.png

Fixed the map up a bit. I get the feeling there's something wrong with the wall on the right, and the side stairs leading to the top-right area, but I'm not sure how I'd fix them.

Oydtwb6.png

Another Fates map, this time based on the Hoshidan Plains. Took a lot of liberties on this one.

EDIT: Fuck me.

OBuo4Lz.png

• 2 weeks later...

Do you mean the castle map? 'Cause if so, it wasn't supposed to look like a winter map.

But yeah, I'm back and stuff.

I'm laying off of animations for a bit and learning portrait splicing.

RHgT38K.png

First splice ever. I used quite a few pieces for the head (I even used a beard on the hair), then lazily threw it on Gale's body.

Any criticism? Plz?

Also how do I change the thread title

You change thread title by using the full editor on the first post.

Lots of different sources shows on the hair, and not really in a good way. There are lots of strange and conflicting strands especially in the bangs. The head is definitely too small for the body, may be because it's a female head on a male body or the head might be small in general. Check your proportions. The scar doesn't look quite right, more like a line across the face than a scar. Scars are difficult to make look good, you should take a look at the scars on vanilla mugs.

I, uh, kinda need help with the face and hair (and the cape, and all the other parts that are wrong in ways that aren't obvious to me). I've tried quite a few times and I really don't know what to do.

Also, any pixels that aren't in the palette are leftovers that I haven't changed yet.

Oh no this guy!

Well, using Kent as a reference, he's slightly smaller than the usual head-size. I'd recommend finding vanilla portraits that're close to the things you're trying to fill in and copy those. (The face seems pretty difficult to match since no one quite does that, probably hybrid Seth and Kent and Valter?)

It looks like for the clothes, armor, and skin you can straight copy your reference for lighting and it'll translate fine.

From a straight up overlay of the original art his eyes have shifted closer to his nose. I'll rummage up an edit in a bit.

[Edit: ouU6x.png ish? I just placed the eyes for an example, didn't really try shaping them. ]

Edited by Lenh

• 1 month later...

I did not spend a whole month procrastinating no sir not at all.

I've been doing a bit of splicing lately. The body on the 2nd one is half-custom (it's an extension of the body of a generic FE6 priest).

qnM6nUn.pngI1LSaUE.png

FEXNA sizes are cool. I also edited my 1st splice.

ViQZfE4.png

Oh no this guy!

Gahahaha!

The puush pic died before I got to see it in detail. Is this okay?

BksXIiV.png

The mugs have some proportional issues and pillow shading... plus that latest girl has an odd bump on her face, rather than a smooth outline to the cheek.

That Bishop/Monk... love the pompadour idea. XD

Body for him and the armor dude look a little messy/improperly shaded right now tho.

I love your maps though. :0

Edited by ErrantShepherd

1czNWwm.png

Not sure about the eyes and ear.

Ear looks 1-2 px too low, and the eyes don't look mirrored correctly-- the eyes and ear themselves look good, though.

The neck shading could be improved quite a lot, the cape has some weirdness in the center and where it goes over his left pauldron (on the righthand side of the canvas).

LzLUW1V.png

Their left shoulder doesn't really connect to the body. I think it should be pulled in maybe all the way up to 3-5 pixels and make the neck's bottom curve more steadily, like it does on the other side.

The... pauldron, I assume, on their right shoulder looks far too nested to the shoulder-- unless it's supposed to be cloth?

I can't understand what the thing behind the pauldron is supposed to be.

I like the hair. :o The ear and face read very nicely too.

The thing behind the pauldron was supposed to be a bunch of arrows.

D3g9TNv.pngXkSY0BX.png

Better?

I also made another one.

ibyexBf.png

There's a stray color in the eye, took care of it after posting the image on imgur.

The thing behind the pauldron was supposed to be a bunch of arrows.

Ohhh.

I definitely think you should keep it-- I just couldnt' tell what it was. I would recommend having some of the outline color to separate the fletching on the arrows a bit better, but essentially not too much.

ibyexBf.png

Her chin looks like it shunts inward one pixel and then droops downward an extra pixel.

It looks very nice, especially the hair drop shadows.

But the locks on her face-- the locks themselves-- look a little strange to me, and I can't really pin down why.