Team Four Star Taken Down...More Youtube Controversy

Sentacotus

So...yeah the latest in Youtube fuck ups. Apparently Team Four Star despite not monetizing their main channel and having a subscriber base of over 2 million has been taken down for "copyright claims"...not to mention they also put disclaimers before their videos.

https://twitter.com/teamfourstar/status/702310243238215680

Edited by LordTaco42

This is legit scary and I worry about some of my favorite YouTubers. They're not like 2mil subscriber big but I know some of them do it as their full time job. Many of them have talked about quitting because so much of their content might infringe on copyright.

I agree what Youtube's policies at this point regarding fair use and copyright really doesn't help anyone at this point. If you're a smaller channel you get your shit stolen and can't do anything about it. If you're a bigger channel you get shit taken down for no reason at all despite any disclaimers or non-monetization. Its too black and white. It actually makes me wonder if content makers are better off just running their own sites where they post their stuff. Of course if that got popular then you know Youtube would try some bullshit to claim that "video sharing" is their idea and thing so you can't do it.

Edited by LordTaco42

I agree what Youtube's policies at this point regarding fair use and copyright really doesn't help anyone at this point. If you're a smaller channel you get your shit stolen and can't do anything about it. If you're a bigger channel you get shit taken down for no reason at all despite any disclaimers or non-monetization. Its too black and white. It actually makes me wonder if content makers are better off just running their own sites where they post their stuff. Of course if that got popular then you know Youtube would try some bullshit to claim that "video sharing" is their idea and thing so you can't do it.

Now that's another scary thought. That sounds like some Fine Bros shit.

Now that's another scary thought. That sounds like some Fine Bros shit.

I guarentee you that's what would happen IF that ever caught on and drew enough of Youtube's user/subscriber base away. They have unparalleled dominance over internet video sharing especially being owned by google. If anything rose to challenge that they'd have their lawyers all over it. As it stands right now Youtube already costs them massive amounts of money to keep up they can't afford losing their video sharing dominance.

I guarentee you that's what would happen IF that ever caught on and drew enough of Youtube's user/subscriber base away. They have unparalleled dominance over internet video sharing especially being owned by google. If anything rose to challenge that they'd have their lawyers all over it. As it stands right now Youtube already costs them massive amounts of money to keep up they can't afford losing their video sharing dominance.

1. IIRC, monopolies are illegal (at least in America); a giant monopoly would be forced to be broken up into smaller companies so as to generate competition.

2. People don't necessarily need to set up their own sites -- they can migrate to other video sharing sites like Dailymotion and such.

1. IIRC, monopolies are illegal (at least in America); a giant monopoly would be forced to be broken up into smaller companies so as to generate competition.

2. People don't necessarily need to set up their own sites -- they can migrate to other video sharing sites like Dailymotion and such.

1. Yes they are although that doesn't seem to stop ISP companies from effectively having regional monopolies. Not that it directly correlates to this but the point is they can still happen and I can see Youtube/google swindling their way outta it.

2. They don't need to I just see it as a way to bring competition to Youtube unless something like Facebook does it. While there are things like Dailymotion out there they simply are not on the scope or scale as Youtube. Not yet at least. I'll actually be completely honest with you I hadn't heard of it until you mentioned it.

You wanna lose fans? This is how you lose fans.

I really hope Peanut Butter Gamer and Did You Know Gaming? don't get taken down. They are pretty big names in the YouTube space and apparently that doesn't matter anymore.

Like I said in a previous topic, companies are more concerned with money and legal rights than they are the fans they want to keep. The internet, not just YouTube, has become terrifying...

You wanna lose fans? This is how you lose fans.

I really hope Peanut Butter Gamer and Did You Know Gaming? don't get taken down. They are pretty big names in the YouTube space and apparently that doesn't matter anymore.

Like I said in a previous topic, companies are more concerned with money and legal rights than they are the fans they want to keep. The internet, not just YouTube, has become terrifying...

Well its like anything else really that gets big and catches on. It starts out small claiming to be a place that fosters creativity in an innovative way but of course grows bigger over time as more people use it. As that happens you inevitably need more infrastructure and organization to support it which costs money...so things become corporate and with that you have all the legalities and issues associated with large overhead and profit margins. Its just one negative side effect of it.

So the channel is back now:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TeamFourStar

But it seems like that it got gutted really bad before it was removed.

Of course, we all know that only a very popular channel like this has even a chance for Youtube to react that fast is because a lot of people will make noise about it. So this changes little about how shitty the situation for video producers is.

Edited by BrightBow

Yeah just noticed its back up now. Thats good, I don't think there website was ever down though so we'd still be able to watch their videos anyways.

Yeah fortunate for them. It honestly seems more attractive to do that now in days.

Edited by LordTaco42

First world problems right here.

If not getting paid for your work is a first world problem to you. Although I would hope talented people like the folks at TFS would have no trouble finding work somewhere else before they would die from starvation. The connections they made through their work at the show should help too. Heck, it did help them to some smaller roles on official DBZ productions already. Still, not everyone is in such a comfortable situation. And obviously we TFS fans aren't really affected by this, seeing how TFS has their own homepage and their Patreon support should ensure that Youtube's struggles won't ever kill of DBZ Abridged entirely. It's nevertheless disturbing just how quickly Youtube's automatic systems can kill of a channel, especially for smaller video producers who don't have enough fans to make enough noise for Youtube to have an actual human being take a look at the case. Then of course there is also the issue of abusing the system for censorship, although that seems to backfire usually.

Edited by BrightBow

Youtube is only concerned with saving their own ass. While you wish they would do more to protect the fair use protections of their users, it's hard to say they don't have reason to automate the process because of the vast amount of companies ready to come down and sue them over copyright.

If not getting paid for your work is a first world problem to you.

Hold up.

YouTube is a FREE website where you can host videos and can choose what it leaves up and what abuses copyright laws. If you want to talk about money, then start with the fact that these videos should be hosted on a website that is NOT free.

Their loss.

Hold up.

You're right. I shouldn't bother arguing with someone who whines about "first-world problems" in a forum dedicated to a video game series in a topic dedicated to a web show. What was I thinking?

You're right. I shouldn't bother arguing with someone who whines about "first-world problems" in a forum dedicated to a video game series in a topic dedicated to a web show. What was I thinking?

Wow, you completely missed the whole point.