Dub Wars: Japanese or English?

SatsumaFSoysoy

Japanese or English: You can only choose one...  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Branch of Fate - Choose Your Path

• Boku wa eranda! (Japanese)
    • I've decided! (English)
    • Refuse to choose a side (both are good)
    • Both suck
    • JOIIIIIIN SMASH

The game is out in America, and we've had a taste of the English dub from the Treehouse demos and whatnot. So I'm interested...which dub of Fates do you guys like better?

You can certainly state your opinion (I believe)...but try not to start a flame war. Surely, even a subjective topic can be discussed camly...?

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game is out in America, and we've had a taste of the English dub from the Treehouse demos and whatnot. So I'm interested...which dub of Fates do you guys like better?

You can certainly state your opinion (I believe)...but try not to start a flame war. Surely, even a subjective topic can be discussed camly...?

ca76c96b3ac5df05bd748815b3529b2b.jpg

I bet $50 people start throwing napalm around by page 2-3

English is high quality. People have these massive standards and would be disappointed by anything.

Is the dub as good as Cup of Tea stuff like Awakening or Xenoblade X? I doubt it. However, it's still really well done. Orochi is one of my favorite characters and her voice was a major component in that.

I've already dealt with enough arguments b/c of people on Facebook yelling at me so I don't even care anymore.

They both have good voices. I can't choose one.

See ya in Smash then lol.

Both have their merits in different areas. I like how the English version handled the second gen's S support deal much better. But Japanese!Effie and Japanese!Nyx will be sorely missed.

Really? I saw this pic of Male Kana getting shot down by three different girls in their S supports, and that's really sad... I'm not sure I'm okay with that.

But now that I think about it, that's not really about the audio.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

See ya in Smash then lol.

Really? I saw this pic of Male Kana getting shot down by three different girls in their S supports, and that's really sad... I'm not sure I'm okay with that.

Kana is like fucking ten years old. Thats why hes "shot down". Male Kana's voice is reflective of his age. Hes super fucking young. Even more so than the other second gens.

*Sees title. Oh boy.

I choose english for one reason: I can read it.

Edit: Oh, in the area of voices, I still prefer english for the same reason. They don't sound amazing (with a few excpetions) but I can totally live with it.

Edited by Blade_of_Light

Kana is like fucking ten years old. Thats why hes "shot down". Male Kana's voice is reflective of his age. Hes super fucking young. Even more so than the other second gens.

Yeah, he stated that he was like the youngest member in the army in his potential sibling support.

As for Dub vs Sub, it depends on several components for me. Like, some media has top-notch English acting such as Fullmetal Alchemist and Cowboy Bebop. Other times, I prefer the Japanese version. Honestly, though, as long as Crispin Freeman is in the cast, I will be waiting with my tongue hanging out like some kind of monster.

...Oh gods, I love that man's voice.

EDIT: For Fates, I like them both. There are some voices I dig in English (Odin, Jakob, Arthur, Sophie) and some I dig in Japanese (Niles why did they take you from me DIO voice, Nyx, Effie).

Edited by SaiSymbolic

I'm asking about the voice acting, instead of the entire localization experience, btw.

I would say more like 12 to 13.... But geez, Sakura and Elise get to have children, and he can't have a girlfriend...

The japanese is better. I dislike some english voices, and I think a lot of voices sound plain or without much substance or distinction.

Maybe the japanese feel a similar way about their voice actors, but to me it sounds like more emotion was put in.

I'm asking about the voice acting, instead of the entire localization experience, btw.

I would say more like 12 to 13.... But geez, Sakura and Elise get to have children, and he can't have a girlfriend...

People are gonna comment about localization regardless because audio and the actual content are linked.

While i agree that Sakura and Elise are too young for hanky panky, localization implies they are old enough. They totally kept Kana being pretty much ten though.

I still stand by Nyx and Effie, who are legit the worst voices in Nohr. Nyx especially. Oooommgggg

Honestly, though, as long as Crispin Freeman is in the cast, I will be waiting with my tongue hanging out like some kind of monster.

...Oh gods, I love that man's voice.

Both of these men oh lawdy.

People are gonna comment about localization regardless because audio and the actual content are linked.

While i agree that Sakura and Elise are too young for hanky panky, localization implies they are old enough. They totally kept Kana being pretty much ten though.

I still stand by Nyx and Effie, who are legit the worst voices in Nohr. Nyx especially. Oooommgggg

Agree about Effie's voice, though I admit i like Nyx's... but just not on her, if that makes sense.

They both have good and bad performances (Orochi doesn't sound stoned in Japanese, while the two Felicias are pretty much night and day). I'm fine with either.

The thing is, Nyx's voice makes perfect sense; if you've been cursed to not physically age, your vocal cords are no exception. There's something humorous about hearing a young teen snarking at everybody else and complaining about the young'uns. And then there's the morbidly cheerful "Another day, another sin".

Effie... it really depends on how much you cared about her Japanese character. I'm okay with the voice and am glad that most of her actual supports are intact, but I can perfectly understand you not liking it.

They both have good and bad performances (Orochi doesn't sound stoned in Japanese, while the two Felicias are pretty much night and day). I'm fine with either.

The thing is, Nyx's voice makes perfect sense; if you've been cursed to not physically age, your vocal cords are no exception. There's something humorous about hearing a young teen snarking at everybody else and complaining about the young'uns. And then there's the morbidly cheerful "Another day, another sin".

Effie... it really depends on how much you cared about her Japanese character. I'm okay with the voice and am glad that most of her actual supports are intact, but I can perfectly understand you not liking it.

Nyx's voice in the Japanese version still sounded young, except with zero pep in it imo, so the vocal chords thing still checks out I'd say.

I'm not too sure about Treehouse's take on Nyx, but it might just be because the difference is really really jarring to people who are used to thinking of Nyx as a sad and cold person. Same thing happened with Beruka (dat name tho).

Nyx's voice in the Japanese version still sounded young, except with zero pep in it imo, so the vocal chords thing still checks out I'd say.

I'm not too sure about Treehouse's take on Nyx, but it might just be because the difference is really really jarring to people who are used to thinking of Nyx as a sad and cold person. Same thing happened with Beruka (dat name tho).

Yeah, "Beruka" is taking things literally, but it also has a meaning fit for her character ("bearer of victory"). She generally did seem like she'd be on the younger end of the spectrum, due to her being shorter than Selena.

I feel like in general 2/3's of the shit that the dub catches is because those people are used to the Japanese voices. I remember being far from thrilled when we first heard things in the E3 trailer, but after watching it a few times I was okay with it.

I haven't heard very much of Beruka's voice, but when I heard the voice clip saying "You're heartless," I thought she sounded a lot like GLaDOS. Which I found fitting, for a cold assassin.

That line sounded like Aigis, which was incredibly confusing considering how Karen Strassman doesn't play her.

it sounded remarkably like aigis

Both seem to have their good points and the fact that there are differences makes each version unique. I only own the English versions since I don't own a Japanese 3DS and didn't know there was a way to read that in any form of English (since I can't read Japanese) but I can certainly see the appeal in finding out how different or similar the versions are, and the interest in checking out the game in its original form.

Guy, she literally squeaks in battle. They don't need to go that far.