Best Child Character?

SaMaster14

HP+5 is actually pretty solid in a game where the average HP is around 30.

I won't argue against that. But on the other hand, one of its promotions is one I might as well consider the worst class in the game for crit-related reasons, which I hold against it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only played Hoshido so far so I don't know much about the Nohr children yet but out of my child units are Caeldori and Rhajat are the most useful, they definitely came out the best. Caeldori is especially vastly superior to both Subaki and Hinoka.

My favorite paralogue is Kiragi's lots of flyers for him and his father and in my game mother who was a kinshi knight at the time to just go to town on.

Edited by Sarahtoga104

I won't argue against that. But on the other hand, one of its promotions is one I might as well consider the worst class in the game for crit-related reasons, which I hold against it.

Well, with Percy's luck and personal skill, I don't think you'll worry about random critical hits.

Nothing, because I was referring to Berserker.

Berserker's -CeV is not really an issue on character with sufficiently decent luck/weapon CeV. I ran Zerker Rinkah (around 22luk by endgame after pairup boosts, so not even particularly high) and the only things that had crit on her were other Zerkers, who has crit on literally everyone else anyway except like, Yato Corn (and Ryoma, but it's less about not having crit on him than not having hit on him)

http://56.media.tumblr.com/b348e836cdf1c831a848db8ab3faad22/tumblr_o3155glJUt1rbgrtpo1_500.jpg

AssSmacker+1 can't crit (or I can get Rinkah to 100% crit herself), but the other guy's Silver Bow doesn't have crit penalties. Not that he'd even do anything that matters if he has crit, though, considering he does like 2 damage. It's easy enough to negate.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Nothing, because I was referring to Berserker.

Is this a symptom of the new pair up mechanics? Berserker seemed to fit the role of "ultimate physical support" in Awakening, given its high Str and Spd and pair-up bonuses to the same stats. I know it got some painful nerfs (Certain Blow won't do what Hit+20/Hexthema did), but has it fallen that far?

Is this a symptom of the new pair up mechanics? Berserker seemed to fit the role of "ultimate physical support" in Awakening, given its high Str and Spd and pair-up bonuses to the same stats. I know it got some painful nerfs (Certain Blow won't do what Hit+20/Hexthema did), but has it fallen that far?

Levant has a overreacting amount of aversion towards any cev reduction regardless of how it works in actual practice. Berserker is fine, as far as Birthright Lunatic goes at least.

Granted Rinkah makes a really tanky Zerk (she hit 29 which is her def cap as a zerk with a +2 mod, so I upgraded the Oboro statue to raise it a bit), so she does take a lot less damage than your average Zerk to start with, but defense doesn't really matter when it comes to evading crits.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Fighter really ain't that special, if ya ask me... But I digress.

Personally, I'm rather fond of Ophelia because she's just too cute. (That said, I still don't have the game)

Oh, Im not suggesting fighter. He's fine as a wyvern. Going Zerker for rally str and axefaire is just fun and conveniently retains axe rank. Even if you don't like that, he can still go Axe!Hero for Sol at some point.

Velouria is a monster. She tanks everything and responds with killing everything. AND she can heal herself. She replaced Keaton in my team as soon as I got her.

Ophelia would be near perfect if she wasn't so fragile. I guess giving her low Def and HP is a way to counter the fact that she crits everything in front of her.

Nina ended up great in my first run too. Promoted her to Sniper and gave her a Killer Bow and she never left my team.

In terms of gameplay, favoring pairings where parents can help each other and any resulting good kids (especially if they have some outstanding niche/role other characters including parents don't).

Hp+5 Wyvern is pretty amazing. Very high luck is more hit and no random crits. A lot of people seem to like Effie as the mother but lately I prefer Camilla!Percy so she can get her hand axe ohkos (Arthur also gives 10, like 15 if counting Skl, extra hit in guard stance which also is clutch). And since I like Effie for Jakob’s pair up anyways.

Ophelia gives good items and can be a fast mage that doesn’t require much exp investment herself (but do need to marry off Odin). Forrest can be similar, and has >50% Mag growth in a mage class even with little mag growth inheritance from the mother. So can buff up Hp/Spd/Def or get interesting skills for a mage.

Velouria’s stats are all high and she’s very tanky and accurate. Possibly the only 6 move 1 range character I really like using (mounted move like Laguz would be so amazing..). Any physical mother works.

Caeldori is great, can be obtained fast, nice Bolt Nagi damage with Falco bases + Prodigy. (+Mag)Corrin+Subaki is okay also since Corrin doesn’t fly in most builds.

Nina with dat 9 move, bow might. Maybe even Shining Bow fun with a magical mother, since Niles doesn’t really care too much statwise who he pairs with. Also a Pass option without investing much into Niles, since he’s a nice Pair Up himself giving move and Spd.

Sophie/Siegbert are Cavs so I guess they should be mentioned, Sophie can be recruited early.

Percy is probably the most useful for C19 alone.

Edited by XeKr

Well, with Percy's luck and personal skill, I don't think you'll worry about random critical hits.

Ugh, I can't believe I have to state this again...

You do realize that Percy's tied to someone who screams "liability"?

It's more that they get an innate crit evade penalty, which screams "dealbreaker". Also, I'm not a fan of most weapon locked classes, as far as this game goes, which hurts them even more.

Berserker's -CeV is not really an issue on character with sufficiently decent luck/weapon CeV. I ran Zerker Rinkah (around 22luk by endgame after pairup boosts, so not even particularly high) and the only things that had crit on her were other Zerkers, who has crit on literally everyone else anyway except like, Yato Corn (and Ryoma, but it's less about not having crit on him than not having hit on him)

That... has more to do with it being harder than ever to make up for lacking Cev (most of the limited ways to try to do so have their own disadvantages)...

Levant has a overreacting amount of aversion towards any cev reduction regardless of how it works in actual practice. Berserker is fine, as far as Birthright Lunatic goes at least.

"Overreaction" isn't what I'd use to describe it. This is. (Of course, seeing people try to write off luck as useless or inconsequential is also a big one for me)

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

That... has more to do with it being harder than ever to make up for lacking Cev (most of the limited ways to try to do so have their own disadvantages)...

"Overreaction" isn't what I'd use to describe it. This is. (Of course, seeing people try to write off luck as useless or inconsequential is also a big one for me)

Did you actually look at the screenshot I posted

I didn't even try to negate crit on Rinkah--Berserker's -5cev is inconsequential given the right character--in this case, Percy's luck is bullshit high and way higher than Rinkah's which is merely average, and Rinkah still faces no crit from anything but the +20 crit class which just about everyone faces crit with anyway. And you should deal with Berserkers by either sending Corn or Ryoma at their face, or if they're a melee Zerk, just range them to death. Strategy, bruh.

You would have a point on Berserker on top of Arthur's luck with him specifically, but this is Percy we're talking about. Ya know, the one with really bullshit luck and extra CeV

You can't really take Berserker on its own without looking at who's using it and write it off immediately as a class. Context is everything. It's like Onmyoji is not a bad class but would I want Rinkah in it? Fuck no, but that doesn't make it bad.

Percy's tied to someone who can be a good pairup to several great characters. Arthur absolutely do not have to face combat. Why does he have to fight if you shove him on Effie or Cam and they just end up oneshotting everything anyway? Building support points works that way too.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Did you actually look at the screenshot I posted

I didn't even try to negate crit on Rinkah--Berserker's -5cev is inconsequential given the right character--in this case, Percy's luck is bullshit high and way higher than Rinkah's which is merely average, and Rinkah still faces no crit from anything but the +20 crit class which just about everyone faces crit with anyway. And you should deal with Berserkers by either sending Corn or Ryoma at their face, or if they're a melee Zerk, just range them to death. Strategy, bruh.

You would have a point on Berserker on top of Arthur's luck with him specifically, but this is Percy we're talking about. Ya know, the one with really bullshit luck and extra CeV

You can't really take Berserker on its own without looking at who's using it and write it off immediately as a class. Context is everything. It's like Onmyoji is not a bad class but would I want Rinkah in it? Fuck no, but that doesn't make it bad.

Percy's tied to someone who can be a good pairup to several great characters. Arthur absolutely do not have to face combat. Why does he have to fight if you shove him on Effie or Cam and they just end up oneshotting everything anyway? Building support points works that way too.

I did, actually. Anyways, it's more the principle that whereas most mono-weapon classes get bonuses to make up for being weapon locked, Berserker's saddled with a penalty as well, and that just turns me off big effing time.

As to your last statement, I think it's rather sad that that's bout the best Arthur can do. That, along with the fact that I'm not really willing to field someone just so they can serve as pair up fodder, means I'd rather just pass him over for someone who can actually pull their weight worth a damn.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I did, actually. Anyways, it's more the principle that whereas most mono-weapon classes get bonuses to make up for being weapon locked, Berserker's saddled with a penalty as well, and that just turns me off big effing time.

As to your last statement, I think it's rather sad that that's bout the best Arthur can do. That, along with the fact that I'm not really willing to field someone just so they can serve as pair up fodder, means I'd rather just pass him over for someone who can actually pull their weight worth a damn.

Principles mean nothing when you don't look at them in practice. The 20% crit more than enough makes up for the CeV that nobody but Arthur (and like, Kaze? but why are you running Zerk kaze anyway he doesn't have the ranks for that) really cares about. 100% Critical Rinkah is absolutely hilarious and great.

You don't have a lot of earlygame units. By the time you do, Percy is probably born and you can drop him anyway. If you tape him to Effie you can probably get Percy born as early as chapter 13-14, since it takes around 7 chapters for an S support.

Weapon lock really isn't a huge deal in Fates if you're a non-prepromote gen1. Unless you're Corn or Silas with 2 base ranks it's usually easier to only build 1 rank and neglect the other anyway considering how slow they are (for reference I have 3 Spearmasters and Hinoka's the only one with even an A). Gen2 has it easier with 2 weapons since Child Seal autolevel does some magic, but even then in cases like Shiro and Basara since he'll never use a tome unless you go Elise mom or something it's better to just grab Rend Heaven and go Spearmaster immediately.

Edited by Thor Odinson

The whole infinite reavers thing also makes monoweapon fine.

Also taking Arthur/Charlotte/Rinkah for Pair Up alone can be a smart option. A unit that ohkos at 1-2 range breaks a lot of nerfs that the developers were going for (but not completely..). One rounding units just lets you avoid tons of damage and greatly facilitates completing the chapter easily and efficiently. Like Ninjas will do 1 damage + 7 Poison, or just 1 damage if Camilla counter kills. It's the difference between being worn down and being effectively invincible. Similar story with the seals (-6 Def/Spd is a lot, so avoid it)

+4 Str can be a lot more than just 4/8 damage, and definitely more than an average combat unit.

Edited by XeKr

Principles mean nothing when you don't look at them in practice. The 20% crit more than enough makes up for the CeV that nobody but Arthur (and like, Kaze? but why are you running Zerk kaze anyway he doesn't have the ranks for that) really cares about. 100% Critical Rinkah is absolutely hilarious and great.

You don't have a lot of earlygame units. By the time you do, Percy is probably born and you can drop him anyway. If you tape him to Effie you can probably get Percy born as early as chapter 13-14, since it takes around 7 chapters for an S support.

Weapon lock really isn't a huge deal in Fates if you're a non-prepromote gen1. Unless you're Corn or Silas with 2 base ranks it's usually easier to only build 1 rank and neglect the other anyway considering how slow they are (for reference I have 3 Spearmasters and Hinoka's the only one with even an A). Gen2 has it easier with 2 weapons since Child Seal autolevel does some magic, but even then in cases like Shiro and Basara since he'll never use a tome unless you go Elise mom or something it's better to just grab Rend Heaven and go Spearmaster immediately.

Whether it actually means something in practice is irrelevant to me, though. Berserker was already one of my most hated classes before, and the crit evade penalty was enough to push them into the absolute most hated class as far as this game goes (I mean, hey, I'm one to shun an otherwise good unit just because even the rank and file that don't use enhanced crit weapons have crit chances on them (See: FE9 Stefan) - I don't want to take those kinds of chances literally every time that unit sees combat)...

BTW, exactly how many fights does it take to go up a weapon level (particularly A to S)? Is it the same as in Awakening?

Whether it actually means something in practice is irrelevant to me, though. Berserker was already one of my most hated classes before, and the crit evade penalty was enough to push them into the absolute most hated class as far as this game goes (I mean, hey, I'm one to shun an otherwise good unit just because even the rank and file that don't use enhanced crit weapons have crit chances on them (See: FE9 Stefan) - I don't want to take those kinds of chances literally every time that unit sees combat)...

BTW, exactly how many fights does it take to go up a weapon level (particularly A to S)? Is it the same as in Awakening?

Well if you don't like Berserker I can't make you but stop telling other people faulty advice because to everyone else what happens in practice do matter.

Wexp gain is way slower. Ryoma started out in chapter 14 with B rank swords and he's the only one with S rank and he literally got it right on the chapter 26 boss (just in time for some primetime hakagure dodgetanking, though). You're not getting an S rank unless you grind or your name is Ryoma. My Corn doesn't even have S swords and he's a lv 20 Swordmaster now. Going from E-D isn't too awful depending on what point of the game you're in--it's still a slog even early with physical weapons, not quite as awful for magic at least, but it's not /too/ slow early. If you're me and tryna get Breaking Sky to put on Ryoma in my castle now that it's postgame though, getting him these 3 extra levels is even pretty tough because E lances are ass. Going from A-S is godawful. I feel Takumi/Hinata/Rinkah/Corn has been at A forever.

Edited by Thor Odinson

I can't say if I can relate to your point of view that much since I'm literally running around with a Tome that lowers my crit evade by 20 just because the animation looks cool.

Clever use of Guard Stance is what prevents a lot of potential disasters in this game.

I think my Sophie is going to turn out to be one of the stronger units on my team. She turned out with really decent strength, skill, and speed, so she should make a good Paladin.
So far I've only gotten Sophie and Kana, and my Kana turned out pretty disappointing. I paired my Corrin with someone who I thought was going to be good based solely on what previous games have taught me, and it turned out to be a huge mistake. My Kana seems to have paid that price. Poor stupid awful Mozu.

Well if you don't like Berserker I can't make you but stop telling other people faulty advice because to everyone else what happens in practice do matter.

Wexp gain is way slower. Ryoma started out in chapter 14 with B rank swords and he's the only one with S rank and he literally got it right on the chapter 26 boss (just in time for some primetime hakagure dodgetanking, though). You're not getting an S rank unless you grind or your name is Ryoma. My Corn doesn't even have S swords and he's a lv 20 Swordmaster now. Going from E-D isn't too awful depending on what point of the game you're in--it's still a slog even early with physical weapons, not quite as awful for magic at least, but it's not /too/ slow early. If you're me and tryna get Breaking Sky to put on Ryoma in my castle now that it's postgame though, getting him these 3 extra levels is even pretty tough because E lances are ass. Going from A-S is godawful. I feel Takumi/Hinata/Rinkah/Corn has been at A forever.

Ehhh, my "faulty" advice is more on the better-safe-than-sorry side, as I see it... There's a REASON why I continually say that not facing crit chances is infinitely better than facing them... because it's cold hard fact. That 1% chance to crit can potentially translate into a reset, even if it's not outright fatal.

So no one knows exactly how many fights it takes to go up a weapon rank, is that it? I assumed it was the same as Awakening, but no one tried to corroborate or bust it.

The whole infinite reavers thing also makes monoweapon fine.

Also taking Arthur/Charlotte/Rinkah for Pair Up alone can be a smart option. A unit that ohkos at 1-2 range breaks a lot of nerfs that the developers were going for (but not completely..). One rounding units just lets you avoid tons of damage and greatly facilitates completing the chapter easily and efficiently. Like Ninjas will do 1 damage + 7 Poison, or just 1 damage if Camilla counter kills. It's the difference between being worn down and being effectively invincible. Similar story with the seals (-6 Def/Spd is a lot, so avoid it)

+4 Str can be a lot more than just 4/8 damage, and definitely more than an average combat unit.

My issue with reavers is more-or-less that they're too situational. The accuracy's definitely cause for concern if you don't have WTA backing you...