The game's growth system

Aegisoflove

How do you all feel about the current growth system?

I'm personally having a bad time. I haven't finished any of the routes yet, but at level 20 the unit with the highest strength was sakura at 19. I ended up promoting her into that bow wielding healer.

Edited by Aegisoflove

You're not the only one, then. I am frequently resetting due to poor stats, multiple levels of 0-1 stats a level. Every stage has me using pair up to hide a unit I don't want to get a poor level. I'm not so spoiled I need a perfect level every time, but my growths have been less than ideal, let's say.

Maybe you are used to Awakening... I have very good level up, i'm kinda rng blessed.

I feel like this is part of it. Awakening also had much higher caps, even before limit breaker.

As a Paladin, Stahl ended up maxed at 80 HP, 44 Str, 29 Mag, 41 Skl, 40 Spd, 43 Lck, 44 Def, 41 Res

A Paladin in Fates ends end up maxed at 60 HP, 31 Str, 26 Mag, 30 Skl, 30 Spd, 32 Lck, 32 Def, 32 Res

It's a difference of about 24% on average (26% if you remove Mag as a significant outlier). So it's no small wonder the gains feel less significant. On the flipside, each gain should be more meaningful against the caps.

Edited by Ezrius

Lunatic fixed growths are both a blessing and a curse. My first English run of Luna/Conquest has given me a ridiculous Corrin, yet at the cost of having a Niles who got 1 point of str at level 20/--. Not havng to worry about "losing" good levels is a nice feeling but when you get a stream of bad levels and there's nothing you can do about it that's so uuuggghhhh

Growths are still really high except for HP. Y'all are just having bad luck.

I remember when levels with only 2-3 stat gains were common and we liked it. The game should go back to FE6-FE7 level growths imo.

those were utterly awful

I actually could take Thracia or Mystery's growths because you can manipulate them, and Genealogy has high children growths anyway.

But the GBA games? Those growths were horrendous and it made me hate the game. A character could have perfectly servicable growths for the game itself but seeing such meager gains was infuriating. If GBA level growths were back, I'd stick to Fates and Awakening.

Hoshidan characters in general seem to have really poor growths. I'm thinking this is to offset the fact that you can freely grind.

Oboro wants to argue that, tbh.

Im not having a problem with growths tbh. I expected some units like Niles to be squishy, and Orochi to be slow as fuck.

Oboro wants to argue that, tbh.

Im not having a problem with growths tbh. I expected some units like Niles to be squishy, and Orochi to be slow as fuck.

Looking back at their growths, yeah, I think I'm wrong about that.

Growths have been toned down a slightly but not hugely.

Average sum of base character growths in Awakening was ~297 for non-children/non-spotpass characters

Average sum of the same for Hoshido exclusives is ~271 and ~284 for Nohr (~277 for shared characters not including Gunter because he really skews things with his craptastic growths).

Awakening class growths are roughly the same as Fates with the exception of HP and Luck. Awakening class HP growths were like 20-30% higher and didn't have Luck growths associated with the classes so it kind of balances out.

I think ya'll have just been unlucky.

Edited by Philranger

I've been playing on lunatic, and the growths are set in stone. I had to restart cuz the only unit that went over 14 strength was sakura. I even have a strength boon corrin with just 13 strength at level 20.

It feels bad. Fixed growths has me salty right now.

Edited by Aegisoflove

I've been getting some pretty bad growths as well. Its a bit more balanced than awakening now where stats like str don't have to be in the high 30s and 40s to max which I actually like. But it still is frustrating. Only thing you can do is pay the kind souls on mycastle who hand out skills like aptitude for easy pickings.

Bless them

I've been playing on lunatic, and the growths are set in stone. I had to restart cuz the only unit that went over 14 strength was sakura. I even have a strength boon corrin with just 13 strength at level 20.

It feels bad. Fixed growths has me salty right now.

The growths are fixed on a play through but change between different ones. Like, if you start another Lunatic file, the level ups will be different.

I'm pretty okay with the current system. I haven't gotten really unlucky except with Silas, who seems to be taking after his wife Orochi too much (I collectively refer to his family as "slow, slower, and slowest") but I'd say that the only really significant difference is in HP.

I suppose some of the problem (especially on Birthright) is that some characters start in classes that don't mesh well with their personal growths, so people think that they're getting unlucky. Reclassing helps a lot with that.

Edited by wvype

Here's what I observed: It would appear that a separate string of RNs is rolled for each unit you deploy and that is set in stone but changes only if you restart the chapter. This means that for a particular run of a chapter, even if you use Casual mode saves, that unit will always get the same level up regardless of RNs burned for hits/misses/crits. So basically level up RNs seem to be independent of ones used for battles. Don't know if the game still uses a RN for movement.

As someone who hates bad level ups, it renders some of my units useless for that chapter if I know they'll get a bad level up and they're close to a level up. But I'm not that petty where I need my units to gain 5 stats upon level up. However I only accept bad level ups if I know if it's a stat they don't get often and I deem it to be a worthy stat.

Edited by Magician Lugh