Bravely Second (out now in the US!)

Dotty

You can immediately learn a confusion ability from the moths in the woods NE of Ancheim, which makes it doable basically instantly!

At least you can buy the items...! I admit they're a bit expensive but as soon as I can start exchanging CP for pg it shouldn't be a problem for me.

...Never thought of this.

ANd it's a little late now...

I only thought of using Possession to get the move.

Abusing Extended battle gives you all you need generally.

It's funny, I didn't really like playing the demo of the first game but after trying the demo of Second I find myself enjoying it, I thought the opening cutscene when you move the 3DS around to see was very good. I plan on picking the full game up when I encounter it, maybe tomorrow.

Is it worth maxing available classes to level 4, or is it better to complete a skill (?) build and stay in your preferred class? I'm still learning the mechanics of the game.

It's funny, I didn't really like playing the demo of the first game but after trying the demo of Second I find myself enjoying it, I thought the opening cutscene when you move the 3DS around to see was very good. I plan on picking the full game up when I encounter it, maybe tomorrow.

Is it worth maxing available classes to level 4, or is it better to complete a skill (?) build and stay in your preferred class? I'm still learning the mechanics of the game.

For the demo, you can max jobs. In the full game, it's probably better to hop around and grab abilities since it takes a LONG time to max.

You can immediately learn a confusion ability from the moths in the woods NE of Ancheim, which makes it doable basically instantly!

At least you can buy the items...! I admit they're a bit expensive but as soon as I can start exchanging CP for pg it shouldn't be a problem for me.

Huh, thanks for the tip. TBH when I saw the available Catmancer monster abilities, I wasn't too impressed so I skipped the moth one. White Wind is definitely fun, but none of the battles have been too hard so far. Walking tank thingy notwithstanding.

For the demo, you can max jobs. In the full game, it's probably better to hop around and grab abilities since it takes a LONG time to max.

Huh, thanks for the tip. TBH when I saw the available Catmancer monster abilities, I wasn't too impressed so I skipped the moth one. White Wind is definitely fun, but none of the battles have been too hard so far. Walking tank thingy notwithstanding.

You can still find Aero Lantern on the first part of Miasma Forest on Chapter 5, in case you missed it before.

At which chapter are you?

Because the end of Chapter 2 and the end of Chapter 4 packed quite a punch.

The big twist/trick is not as effective emotionnally, but it was still well played.

Cast-Wise, tree charatcers are returning on the original 4 (Agnes isn't playabe, but she's pretty present (her actually taking Airy's role (and extending it) was a fun touch.)

I actually also appreciate the new asterisk holders. They (mostly) all have that tragic aspect to them.

Angeo Panettone was pretty great, and Geist is all kind of creepy (and quite annoying to fight. Though not as much as Revenant)

I actually didn't use much magic except the wizard's abilities (Healing is so much more effective with Items.). Postscript is pretty great though.

I'm currently in chapter 6. I do like the story and the moments you mentioned certainly count, but what I meant was that the story is still a bit more tame. There aren't too many moments like the first game with the Khamer and profiteur scheme, Mephillia having two kids kill each other, Derossa being Derossa and the somewhat detailed description of the poison gass attack. It gave a somewhat grim feel to the game.

The new Asterisk holders are pretty good though. I especially like Rev, Geist and the holder of the Bishop asterisk.

Edited by Sasori

I'm currently in chapter 6. I do like the story and the moments you mentioned certainly count, but what I meant was that the story is still a bit more tame. There aren't too many moments like the first game with the Khamer and profiteur scheme, Mephillia having two kids kill each other, Derossa being Derossa and the somewhat detailed description of the poison gass attack. It gave a somewhat grim feel to the game.

The new Asterisk holders are pretty good though. I especially like Rev, Geist and the holder of the Bishop asterisk.

I don't remember all the details of the firstgame.

Though Amphisbaena's description is really nightmare worthy.

ANd the few details we get about the Great Plague are quite bad

Yew being a bright-eyed idealist may make colour things differently.

On the new Asterisk's holders, with those three, I'd add Angelo Panettone, the holder of the Fencer Asterisk and Norzen.

Alright, so I managed to get my hands on this game. It took me awhile, all the closest gaming stores had little to no Nintendo products so I had to go a little further out, but the GAME store I found were selling it for £40, which was more expensive than I've seen elsewhere. I actually got it from Amazon for £32.

But anyway I'm enjoying the game as expected. I just got my first class crystal from the forest, would it be accurate to say Yew is better at being a magical unit than physical?

Yes, he has the best INT stat out of them all, and the worst STR (although the difference is so insignificant that it doesn't really matter who you pick).

Edited by Dotty

Yeah, it seems they tried to make it apparent who goes best with what kind of class. I'm guessing Magnolia makes a good mixed attacker? I have her as a Freelancer just now.

Also, I'm glad Yew is getting some attention from Magnolia, when Tiz came around it was like poor Yew didn't exist for Edea and Agnes (hope I spelled those right).

Has anyone done much connecting yet? I think I seen the game mention you can do it over the internet. The character/attack exchange thing looks interesting.

Yeah, it seems they tried to make it apparent who goes best with what kind of class. I'm guessing Magnolia makes a good mixed attacker? I have her as a Freelancer just now.

Has anyone done much connecting yet? I think I seen the game mention you can do it over the internet. The character/attack exchange thing looks interesting.

Kinda. She has the second worst STR and the second highest INT so I guess you could call her a less extreme Yew. She also has the best MND, so she's best at healing, but you probably don't have access to that yet, and the first healing spells you get are percentage-based anyway.

Yeah, summons are pretty helpful in a pinch!

Edited by Dotty

Yes, he has the best INT stat out of them all, and the worst STR (although the difference is so insignificant that it doesn't really matter who you pick).

The differences can be quite signifficative, though it's more extreme between the two best and two worst (for example, a s a Sorcerer, the Int difference is only one between Magnolia and Yew, or between Edea and Tiz, but even between Tiz and Magnolia it's quite significant (6 at level 90).

PSY, VIT are really weird stats, though. The classments are completely different from one class to another (For example Tiz have the best PSY as a Guardian, and the worst as a Patissier.

How weird...

EDIT : There's also some variations with the other stats...

Yew also have the highest DEX which makes it quite good with Bows and Guns.

Magnolia have the worst one

Magnolia is the fastest character and Edea the slowest.

Tiz is a fantastic tank, and is generally good at everything, save MP (worst) and Int (second worst)

Edited by Tamanoir

I think that you could make anyone work with any kind of job if you wanted to. I know several people that made Agnés their physical attacker in Default for laughs and didn't suffer at all.

6 points doesn't strike me as terribly extreme anyhow, though I admit to not knowing the damage formula.

Having said that, I did just have my entire party as Freelancers for a while so that I could get the treasured JP Up. It was really difficult since everyone was suddenly doing terrible damage, but I assumed there'd just been a difficulty spike.

Finally switching to other jobs again and now my party is easily managing thousands of damage, so I guess a few points difference could matter a lot, I dunno.

...And it's finally over.
There's still the post game, but it's mostly (K.O,)OK

Well, that was a great ride.

I think that you could make anyone work with any kind of job if you wanted to. I know several people that made Agnés their physical attacker in Default for laughs and didn't suffer at all.

6 points doesn't strike me as terribly extreme anyhow, though I admit to not knowing the damage formula.

Having said that, I did just have my entire party as Freelancers for a while so that I could get the treasured JP Up. It was really difficult since everyone was suddenly doing terrible damage, but I assumed there'd just been a difficulty spike.

Finally switching to other jobs again and now my party is easily managing thousands of damage, so I guess a few points difference could matter a lot, I dunno.

Not sure either how it works. But since there's a lot of damage multipliers, it could makes quite a lot in the end.

JP Up is honnestly not necesssary. Later on, with 1-2 extended battles, you can easily go up to 999 JP.

Extended battle made me extremely overpowered honnestly (I actually cut down the EXp gain for a while because of it...) (It's also because I tried to always complete the bestiary.)

Where are you, now?

Double posting to say that the demo is out now in the US.

Also...

[spoiler=Chapter 5 spoilers]Just broke the fight with Geist and Rev. Rev possessed Magnolia, and out of curiousity I tried to use Undo HP on her to see if it'd work, and it did, bringing her all the way back down to around 2000HP. After hitting her lightly a few times to get Rev out, he was left with only 1000HP. Crazy. Wish I'd tried doing it in the original Rev fight.

I think once you get the hang of the game it's really fun. The increase in boss levels certainly keeps you thinking, the latest boss I faced was the cat boss. I survived with only Tiz alive with actually 1 hp (I won via the counter stance).