CAVALIERS DEBATE!

Liz

i guess i'll jump the debate bandwagon and post this

which cavalier is better, Oscar or Kieran?

i prefer Kieran since he uses axes and generally makes a better tank

Edited by Anna the Tutorial Girl

Wait, there are more Cavaliers! But Oscar and Kieran are definitely the two best. All the Cavaliers in this game are amazing however, since the Paladin class is just incredible. You can end up with massively versatile characters, who all have pretty good stats, not to mention the massive Movement as well as Move Again.

A team with Titania, Oscar, Kieran, Astrid and Makalov is an incredibly awesome team. :D

Wait, there are more Cavaliers! But Oscar and Kieran are definitely the two best. All the Cavaliers in this game are amazing however, since the Paladin class is just incredible. You can end up with massively versatile characters, who all have pretty good stats, not to mention the massive Movement as well as Move Again.

A team with Titania, Oscar, Kieran, Astrid and Makalov is an incredibly awesome team. :D

lol! paladins are godly in this game!

i know there are more out there, but i wanted to make things simple

and plus, IMO they're the best paladins in the game

I have always hated paladins, but I guess I need to watch and interject if I am ever to become a good debater.

btw, I know kieran's A and oscar's B but what is their other supports

Oscar has better defense. Kieran has better offense.

Since they're both superinvincible once they promote (high hp, high def, high avo, and even Sol), Oscar's defense lead doesn't matter much anymore, while Kieran's offense win still does since they still can't kill everything in one round of combat. Therefore, Kieran is better.

say what? Kieran doesn't support Ike. He supports Oscar and Marcia (and Rhys). Oscar supports Ike, Kieran, and Tanith.

wait... (dang it's been a entire year since I last played this)

that's what I was thinking of

Edited by Shigeru Miyamoto

I have to say Oscar is better. Kieran is indeed stronger after promotion, but Oscar is quite usefull for the first several chapters.

Yes, but Kieran is better in the later chapters because of better offense.

It all matters on what's worth more. Killing things more easily than Oscar and surviving easily from midgame to endgame, or earlygame utility?

Axe users are precious early game, so Kieran. He's like a Boyd on a horse. Oscar has trouble killing armor knights and such, while Kieran one rounds everything.

I lean toward Kieran. Oscar has ridiculous avoid thanks to supports, but Kieran is better offensively and has no trouble staying alive. Both are excellent characters, though.

I used Oscar mostly, Titania being the other Paladin. Kieran sounds amazing from what I've read but I haven't given many characters a chance since I only did two playthroughs.

Next one makes me want to use all of them.

I dislike Oscar. He joins so early, he's more likely to get stat-screwed than the others.

Kieran is a little better for being able to hit so much harder. His speed is only barely behind Oscar's anyway.

I dislike Oscar. He joins so early, he's more likely to get stat-screwed than the others.

Kieran is a little better for being able to hit so much harder. His speed is only barely behind Oscar's anyway.

I used to think like that, but now I have a different view on that matter: he has more room to get screwed, but also more room to get blessed.

And I agree :D

Kieran's spd is actually slightly higher than Oscar's. (starting out, anyway. Kieran's base is higher by about 1, but Oscar has a slightly higher growth, so he wins by about 0.5 at the end. Not that spd later on matters at all, what with the Knight Ward and all.)

I used to think like that, but now I have a different view on that matter: he has more room to get screwed, but also more room to get blessed.

And I agree :D

Well, good point. Problem is when you're dealing with any statistical growth below 50%, you're more likely to get screwed than blessed, but I'm not saying it doesn't happen. After all, one of the reasons I like a lot of the Dawn Brigade units in Radiant Dawn is because they join early enough you know if you're getting blessed or not and if they turn out bad, you can dump them for someone who rocks later on.

If by "screwed", you mean get less than the average, then no, that's not true at all. You're more likely to gain a point that not, yes, but that's why the average is lower. If you were more likely to gain less than the average, then that wouldn't be the average.

If you mean something else

I mean due to the way random number genrators in general work, in any given sample size, the actual average is lower than the average listed for numbers below 50% and higher for numbers listed above 50%. Remember that these are percentages that do the determining, not percentages derived from being determined.

I'm not a math guru so I can't prove what I'm saying. A professor explained it to me once upon a time but I can't remember enough of the specifics to relate it.

It's not like the RNGs that are thrown your way for any given stat are somehow reserved in case they weren't high enough to get you the stat gain. If you've got 10 strength with a 30% growth, and you don't gain the stat, you're still at 10, not 10.3. If you don't gain a point of strength within the 3 or 4 levels on average it should take with that growth, you'll be behind, and still only have a 30% chance of increase, meaning you keep falling father and farther behind the average, on average.

That's kind of confusing. It's late and I'm having a harder time typing coherently so I apologize.

Edited by sandmanccl