Weird Story Moments for Spouses [[Spoilers!]]

Kakeyo

I've found, increasingly and irritatingly, that I have to fall back on fanfiction to make this game hit me in the feels as hard as it had the potential to do so. And normally, I wouldn't be complaining about that because fanfiction is what I live for, but... It's getting a wee bit egregious. I had both of my Kamuis married to my Nohr!Sibs, and I was constantly doing doubletakes at the "Sister/Brother" comments during the game. I finally ended up joking that apparently the relationship is a secret, and we're covering with the title until endgame, just to be safe. Or maybe it's a turn-on. Who knows.

I've heard the epilogues were very disappointing, which is sad, as I loved the epilogues in Awakening. And after coming off of the modified dialogue for the Lucina/Chrom situations as mother/spouse, I was hoping for something the same in Fates... I suppose though that all that coding was a reason why it never happened? I wouldn't know the first thing about creating or working with a video game. I'll just kind of sit back here with my laptop and try to tweak everything that bothered me in my fanfics until I feel better... I have debated on a full-game rewrite, but holy crap, the sheer work involved in that makes me back away at high speed.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the endings are rather slopped together for certain characters, especially women. As an example:

12782367_1685106668438009_1900962835_n.j12769557_1683638928584783_558205705_n.jp

Also worth noting is how contradictory Corrin's ending is with Kagero. Considering he worked alongside his spouse and all.

Edited by Duke of Dozel

I'm just kind of sick of generic dialogue. I understand that there are a lot of characters and that each character can potentially be your spouse/child/neither, but it kind of makes me really 'meh' towards the entire marriage thing at all. Your children never acknowledge you as their parent (other than Kana) outside of support conversations, your spouse doesn't care/doesn't seem to exist in any ending. It really drives home how divorced the story is from pairings this time around as if they really did just add it in at the end, and it makes me really apathetic towards it as a whole. The fact that you can marry siblings and no one bats an eyelash (including the sibling in question) reinforces that.

TL;DR: I pretty much treat story and marriage as two separate things, but I expected more/even a small improvement on Awakening after it actually got some pretty heartwarming, great variable scenes if you married particular story-related people.

EDIT: Oh, and I haven't actually done this but...

[spoiler=Revelation Spoilers]Crimson dying and only Ryoma caring despite her potentially being the mother of Corrin's child is jarring indeed. For how much they seem to acknowledge the popularity of the waifu aspects over at ol' IS, they don't seem to be able to commit to it very well.

The thing is... like how a majority of people see it, children are shoehorned into the story.

With how the siblings are main characters and interact so much with the plot... say... compared to Awakening with Chrom, Frederick and Liz/Lissa... generic dialogue is off with them. And you CAN NOT do anything about that without a HORRENDOUS amount of "if statements". Two lines of special dialogue for every possibly would have made you wait for the localization even longer.

And our European friends can tell you how painful enough it is for them.

Yeah, the endings are rather slopped together for certain characters, especially women. As an example:

12782367_1685106668438009_1900962835_n.j12769557_1683638928584783_558205705_n.jp

Also worth noting is how contradictory Corrin's ending is with Kagero. Considering he worked alongside his spouse and all.

Other ones I can think of:

Corrin x Azura, non-Revelation: "He worked alongside his spouse"...you mean his dead spouse?

Xander x Hinoka: She somehow becomes a general in Hoshido and Queen of Nohr at the same time.

Xander x Selena: He leads Nohr into an age of reform, then just up and leaves it, which is horribly out-of-character for him.

Effie x anyone and Elise x Odin: To be fair, this requires a pretty specific set-up. But you'd still think they'd catch that Effie can't remain Elise's best friend when Elise is in Ylisse.

Basically any time a royal retainer is said to have remained in service to their royal, while being off with their spouse somewhere else.

Edited by Abvora

The thing is... like how a majority of people see it, children are shoehorned into the story.

With how the siblings are main characters and interact so much with the plot... say... compared to Awakening with Chrom, Frederick and Liz/Lissa... generic dialogue is off with them. And you CAN NOT do anything about that without a HORRENDOUS amount of "if statements". Two lines of special dialogue for every possibly would have made you wait for the localization even longer.

And our European friends can tell you how painful enough it is for them.

Haha I am Australian, the pain is mine tyvm. And like I said, I understand there's shitloads of characters so it would be a ton of work, but it's still disappointing overall. The fact is there isn't even special dialogue for the main characters or one scene in Revelation. They are completely divorced from each other despite marriage and children's popularity, and that strikes me as strange and disappointing. As many of us have said, after Awakening, we expected one step forward, not one step back.

Corrin x Azura, non-Revelation: "He worked alongside his spouse"...you mean his dead spouse?

Xander x Hinoka: She somehow becomes a general in Hoshido and Queen of Nohr at the same time.

Xander x Selena: He leads Nohr into an age of reform, then just up and leaves it, which is horribly out-of-character for him.

Effie x anyone and Elise x Odin: To be fair, this requires a pretty specific set-up. But you'd still think they'd catch that Effie can't remain Elise's best friend when Elise is in Ylisse.

Basically any time a royal retainer is said to have remained in service to their royal, while being off with their spouse somewhere else.

lolz!

That dead spouse one killed me. Literally laughed aloud. I'm glad I saved that relationship for Revelations. >.>

Wow, that's embarrassing.

I mean, it's just...did they even care? I like to consider myself pretty liberal when it comes to giving the benefit of the doubt, but this is just unbelievable lazy on their part.

Edited by Phillius

(reads through thread)

Ugh, adding epilogues to the ever growing list of things from Fates that are in desperate need of a rewrite...

I mean, it's just...did they even care? I like to consider myself pretty liberal when it comes to giving the benefit of the doubt, but this is just unbelievable lazy on their part.

After all that has been witnessed, I am getting the feeling that they either A) Didn't care or B) were rushed out before they could fix all of the problems.

And to be frank, A is more likely than B...

(reads through thread)

Ugh, adding epilogues to the ever growing list of things from Fates that are in desperate need of a rewrite...

After all that has been witnessed, I am getting the feeling that they either A) Didn't care or B) were rushed out before they could fix all of the problems.

And to be frank, A is more likely than B...

If you or someone else writes a patch that fixes them, I will be forever grateful.

In Hinoka's case, I don't think it's that hard to be both at the same time... But in Xande x Selena... Plot hole???

If you or someone else writes a patch that fixes them, I will be forever grateful.

It'd be great to have custom endings for every one of them, but to actually get it in game I think you'd actually have to change the way it's programmed.

Every male has half a S ending and female have half an S and they get smushed together. Those who married the Awakening kids (or at least the boys iirc) has a different condition for that. Spouses of IKF!Corn also has a condition. If a hacker can extend these conditions instead to individual characters, then we can have actual custom endings.

I have no idea what's the current 3ds hacking capabilities on something like this, though.

Edited by Thor Odinson

The epilogue was just pathetic. "Let's take the same two lines and put them with every possible pairing while ignoring the supports. What's the worst that could happen?"

In my opinion the worst offenders were Laslow, Odin, and Selena. All three disappear and leave everyone behind, yet depending on who they get paired with, their spouse somehow stays with them, having them work with each other. I paired Laslow with my Corrin, so I basically lost both Laslow and Soleil who disappeared, yet Laslow apparently continued to support me despite being gone.

And it gets even worse. I paired Selena and Keaton together, and in their S rank, Selena clearly states that she'll be leaving after the war, just like the other two. Keaton claims he'll go with her no matter what. Guess what, he doesn't. Their epilogue doesn't even mention him trying to, just a "yeah she gone but whatevs".

The epilogue was always one of my favorite parts of Rekka no Ken and Sacred Stones, because it felt like it actually mattered. I'm super disappointed in Fates'.

The epilogue was just pathetic. "Let's take the same two lines and put them with every possible pairing while ignoring the supports. What's the worst that could happen?"

In my opinion the worst offenders were Laslow, Odin, and Selena. All three disappear and leave everyone behind, yet depending on who they get paired with, their spouse somehow stays with them, having them work with each other. I paired Laslow with my Corrin, so I basically lost both Laslow and Soleil who disappeared, yet Laslow apparently continued to support me despite being gone.

And it gets even worse. I paired Selena and Keaton together, and in their S rank, Selena clearly states that she'll be leaving after the war, just like the other two. Keaton claims he'll go with her no matter what. Guess what, he doesn't. Their epilogue doesn't even mention him trying to, just a "yeah she gone but whatevs".

The epilogue was always one of my favorite parts of Rekka no Ken and Sacred Stones, because it felt like it actually mattered. I'm super disappointed in Fates'.

That was my preferred Nohr pairing for her.

*dies*

Screw these epilogues. Screw 'em, I'm just headcanoning what everyone does after the war.

Huh? Isn't it mentioned in Selena's part of the S ranking epilogue that her husband goes with her, which is why there's that odd combination that results in Xander just leaving Nohr?

Edited by NeonZ

Huh? Isn't it part of Selena's S ranking epilogue that her husband goes with her afterwards, which is why there's that odd combination that results in Xander just leaving Nohr?

I'll have to beat endgame again to see (*cries*), but I thought I saw that Keaton stuck around instead.

Sounds like I am in for some major disappointment for the endings. Sad because its one of the things in my opinion that makes Fire Emblem so unique is the fact that it gives you an ending for all the characters. Not many games do that, even when it was really needed like in Mass Effect 3.

I'll have to beat endgame again to see (*cries*), but I thought I saw that Keaton stuck around instead.

In the Epilogue with my avatar said that both disappeared from the records after my avatar was claim as a hero.

Just to make sure my understanding of my current playthrough of Conquest was correct, I checked a walkthrough and the player paired up Keaton and Selena. Might or might not count as awkward for spouses, but it's still pretty funny.

*S-support*

Selena: "I might have to go somewhere after this is all over"

*Get Velour*

Velour: "Don't go anywhere!"

Selena: "I'm not in a hurry to go anywhere!"

I had a weird story moment at the end of Conquest Ch. 24 where Camilla (who at the time was MU's wife) repeatedly refers to MU as 'brother' to Hinoka. So um, yeah. Interesting to know that you're apparently brother first husband second to Camilla. ~___~ While I like her, anything that reminds me of Cersei Lannister is decidedly off-putting lol.

I had a weird story moment at the end of Conquest Ch. 24 where Camilla (who at the time was MU's wife) repeatedly refers to MU as 'brother' to Hinoka. So um, yeah. Interesting to know that you're apparently brother first husband second to Camilla. ~___~ While I like her, anything that reminds me of Cersei Lannister is decidedly off-putting lol.

tumblr_m3khlmpylO1r34fszo1_400.gif

"I wouldn't have married you if you weren't my BRRRRROTHER!"