PAPER MARIO: COLOR SPLASH

Anacybele

Gamers are so spoiled nowadays! XD

I think I see why Miyamoto might have made the suggestion. I think it's because Super Paper Mario was borderline not a Mario game. You keep talking about new characters, unique worlds and an original storyline, but SPM took those so far it really had little to do with Mario in the end.

It's a platformer, but there are other platformers out there. Other than that, if you replaced the four main characters with original ones, a few enemies with original ones, and question blocks with something else, it would literally just be an original game. It would still be related to previous Paper Mario games, but not the main Mario series. A lot of the new characters and enemies introduced didn't look that Mario-y either. (And no, just being cartoony and colourful is not enough.) Miyamoto might have felt like IS is abusing his IP a little (they weren't, but it can come off like that) and that's why he told them to take it easy with their next game.

However, the fact that they're doing it again is a bit worrying. I honestly wasn't expecting them to do that.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

snip

Sticker Star was an experiment and I give IS props for trying, but I think the problem right now is less SS existing and more it getting rehashed when a rather large portion of people wanted the exact opposite.

At least, that's how I see it.

Edit: Adding to this, I think a lot of people are upset since no one expected a SS clone given the issues with SS.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

Gamers are so spoiled nowadays! XD

I think I see why Miyamoto might have made the suggestion. I think it's because Super Paper Mario was borderline not a Mario game. You keep talking about new characters, unique worlds and an original storyline, but SPM took those so far it really had little to do with Mario in the end.

You could honestly make this complaint with Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga and Super Mario RPG and it would be just as ridiculous to say they went too "unmario"

Thing is, Mario is more interesting when the formula is defied, when new things interact with what we know, which is part of why people loved Thousand Year Door, Rogueport and by extension its world were VERY different, but had familiar elements as well.

Super Paper Mario also has very Mario like themes that were established thanks to the existence of previous Paper Mario games, but it has very surreal stuff as well that gave the game an identity. Sticker Star has no identity of its own and thats part of why it fails.

You could honestly make this complaint with Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga and Super Mario RPG and it would be just as ridiculous to say they went too "unmario"

The M&L series and SMRPG never did go 'unmario'. The new things in them were based on old things, such as Troopeas being based on Koopa Troopas and Choombas being based on Goombas. And even with the things that weren't based on anything, I still think that team has a much better grasp on what designs belong in the Mario universe. It's true for locations too - they weren't places that appeared in mainseries Mario games, but they felt like they could have.

On the other hand, SPM came up with its own art style and tried to run off with it.

On the other hand, SPM came up with its own art style and tried to run off with it.

I think it's important to note that SPM took place entirely outside the Mushroom Kingdom, so of course the worlds will look different.

Also... notice that there are pictures of Mario's partners from the first two games in his house. Sticker Star, on the other hand, completely ignored the rest of the Paper Mario series.

Also... notice that there are pictures of Mario's partners from the first two games in his house. Sticker Star, on the other hand, completely ignored the rest of the Paper Mario series.

Didn't Goombella and Parakarry have memos somewhere?

from what i've seen from this trailer i was really disappointed as it looks so similar to sticker star in terms of gameplay and structure. i don't even like it graphically because it seems ironically dull and not very vibrant. probably have a good soundtrack though.

Didn't Goombella and Parakarry have memos somewhere?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. It's a lot harder to find though. I consider it a metaphor for Sticker Star itself - the classic Paper Mario is in there; you just have to plod through a huge pile of garbage to find it.

GameExplain went over the various footage in all 3 directs and came up with some possibilities

Which if right, gives me some more hope for the game

Edited by Jedi

Ooh, according to that video, it could be kinda like the battle card system in Paper Jam! I really liked that, so this gives me more hope too! :D

Edited by Anacybele

I'm disappointed, because Paper Mario was just off-handedly announced, and it looks like it will follow in the footsteps of Sticker Star.

I hope people don't get mad at me for being nostalgic but the first three games had fantastic stories and were all fun. Sticker Star felt like it had no story. It's just another Mario game but with some RPG elements. No Partners. No towns or worlds to explore, no badges to collect for new skills, no heart, no soul of what made the original games wonderful.

Music has always been a good thing in Paper Mario though, so you can look forward to that unless they began to half-ass their effort with it.

I hope Color Splash has a well designed sound test.

SPM - "I have to pay coins to hear music? And it's random?"

PM:SS - "The track automatically changes after 30 seconds? And it only goes forward? And boss themes aren't included?"

Seriously, it's the one thing the PM series never got right.

GameExplain went over the various footage in all 3 directs and came up with some possibilities

Which if right, gives me some more hope for the game

Ehhhhh....

It's not as grim, but the World map just kills everything...

I never got sticker star so maybe I just don't know what to look for but it seemed like a Paper Mario game. You know as long as it has RPG elements like leveling up (which sticker stars apparently did not have). I'm just glad that the cards themselves don't disappear that would suck if you had to grind for them just to battle.

I never got sticker star so maybe I just don't know what to look for but it seemed like a Paper Mario game. You know as long as it has RPG elements like leveling up (which sticker stars apparently did not have). I'm just glad that the cards themselves don't disappear that would suck if you had to grind for them just to battle.

That was my biggest problem with Sticker Star, having to grind stickers.

My thoughts towards this game tho are rather simple tbh, if it's good, awesome, if it isn't, I still have the first 2 Paper Marios. Didn't like SS, and I despise SPM

What's wrong with a world map? I don't think I've ever minded having those in any game I've played that has one.

It just kinda kills exploration tbh. And that's something I always love about playing RPGs, so....

It just kinda kills exploration tbh. And that's something I always love about playing RPGs, so....

Sticker Star had plenty of branching paths, and this game seems to even have a different form of World Map.

Super Mario RPG had a world map.

Super Paper Mario had a world select, didn't it?

Even with no world map, TTYD had no exploration exhausted most areas were straight lines. The only area that did this was the Glitz Pit.

I don't understand how people will complain about every little thing that Sticker Star did. Most RPGs lack exploration in the first place.

Edited by Ms. Bunch

I hope Color Splash has a well designed sound test.

SPM - "I have to pay coins to hear music? And it's random?"

PM:SS - "The track automatically changes after 30 seconds? And it only goes forward? And boss themes aren't included?"

Seriously, it's the one thing the PM series never got right.

here's an idea

use youtube

The problem with Sticker Star's world map is that it gave the illusion of branching paths, when in actually the game is still pretty linear. If you want to enter world 2 or 3, you need items found late in world 1. Sure, you could technically enter world 3 before fighting Megasparkle Goomba, but when you're literally right next to him, why bother?

Well, the video pointed out that unlike Sticker Star's map, Color Splash's map isn't numbered or anything. It may actually have those branching paths.

Also, even if it was linear, I don't remember Super Mario RPG's map having branched paths, and people loved this game. Then again, I didn't get very far... I believe I got three of the stars though.

Well, the video pointed out that unlike Sticker Star's map, Color Splash's map isn't numbered or anything. It may actually have those branching paths.

Also, even if it was linear, I don't remember Super Mario RPG's map having branched paths, and people loved this game. Then again, I didn't get very far... I believe I got three of the stars though.

I've never played SMRPG, so I can't speak for it, but I just never liked the idea. I like trying to find where the new level is in the world. It gives a greater sense of being in the game... imo anyway.

yeah SMRPG didn't have branching paths and was mostly linear but had enough side quests and extra content and some hidden areas so it didn't really matter so if this game dosen't have them it might not be a detriment to the overall experience.

Xenoblade Chronicles X had a world map but that didn't kill the exploration aspect of it at all. At least I don't think so. As long as you have to go to those locations and discover them once before being able to "fast travel" to them.