When to use Master Seal?

SaMaster14

60 members have voted

1. 1. When do you use a Master Seal?

• As soon as the character reaches Lv. 10
    • Wait until the character maxes out their lower class
    • Depends on the character (explain below)
    • Depends on the game (Birth/Conq/Rev) [Explain below]
    • Other (Explain Below)

Awakening conditioned me that I thought the whole "free class upgrade at Level 21" was still in the game, so I never used the Seals until then. Otherwise it usually depends on which unit. I usually let Healers go to max first since they're arguably the easiest to level after Dancers (who cares about turn numbers when you can max Azura out in one map).

I got the habit from Awakening Lunatic to do 30-35 levels unpromoted to maximise exp gain and the exp drop-off here is very much a thing, so I like 20 for my frontliners.

However, it's not necessary. I think it very much depends on the situation--if unpromoted does perfectly fine for the map without needing too much focus on babying for a midgame+ party, then 20 is fine. If the character needs that boost/utility/w/e (I promoted Tsubaki at 14) then promote whenever they really need that benefit.

For me, it's really just a judgement call.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Depends on the character; I generally max out the level of main offensive units before promoting, but sometimes I promote healers at level 15 (depending on whether they're keeping pace with the rest of the team).

Haha, I was actually thinking about making a thread like this myself.

In most earlier FEs I usually favoured 20, because as soon as you promoted, you'd gain Exp like a 20/1 unit regardless, so your Exp intake slows and the levels you skipped end up mostly (though not entirely) "lost". In Fates this doesn't appear to be the case, promoting people does not slow their Exp intake (maybe by one level? I should run some numbers and check...).

I noticed that Camilla and to a lesser extent Leo had a major advantage over my units promoted at Level 20, that they could get access to skills more quickly. And there are some really good skills gained at 15 promoted, like the -faires, the -breakers, and Trample to name a few. But of course this "advantage" is artificial since you can create it in anyone else.

Of course the disadvantage is that if you do this, you're more likely to cap out and lose out on levels that way (barring Eternal Seals which are pricy). So I'm not sure what optimum is. Maybe around 15? Could depend on the expected "endgame level" of each route.

For dedicated staff users, I promote at Level 10 so I can give them a weapon as soon as possible. (Elise is actually doing fairly well as an offensive unit on my Conquest Hard run, but she is still my main healer.)

Otherwise, I normally wait for Level 20, especially if it will become my "endgame" file to do all the DLC, skirmishes, and so on. As I approach late-game, I may end up promoting before Level 20 for stat boosts and to start obtaining skills, especially if that file won't be my main.

I waited until level 20 with everyone, even the staff users.

In Birthright, I had Sakura take advantage of the challenge maps that popped up between each chapter, by having her spam heal my weaker units I decided to train a bit. In Conquest, I had Elise heal my units in chapters a lot, so she got there pretty quickly.

What's the consensus on lunatic runs? Is it better to run units to level 20 and then promote for the higher exp gains?

Depends on the unit, if its a MCU you normally want to hit 20 or cap un-promoted stats.

Utility units promote whenever

Great discussion! I'll probably hold off until Lv 20 for my main attackers, but master seal my healers/lower level supports earlier in my conquest game. The DLCs have been helping a lot with gold and helping pair units up to get the prologues. Boo camp helps a bit with exp early on too.

For birthright, I master sealed my main units around Lv 15 or so and by endgame I had about 10 units at max. I used the eternal seal on my avatar only. That being said, Ch 27 and the Engame on normal/casual with my units was extremely, extremely easy.

20 on most characters

But it if it's a character who's only weaponry is a staff or rod for healing. I sometimes promote them soon as they hit 10. BUT, I still may every once in a while use a Heart Seal at level 10 and level them to 20 in a different class while acquiring extra skills and their extra growths before promoting to a advanced class.

For me, it depends on the game, and other factors.

In Birthright, you can basically level up as many times as you want, as needed, so I wait until they've reached max level. I suppose it will be the same in Revelations.

I also treat healers this way in Birthright, because, again, resources aren't as scarce.

In Conquest however, I try to wait until they're max leveled, but sometimes that big stat boost that comes from a promotion is needed to help me beat a chapter, especially if my characters have been cursed by the RNG Goddess.

Healers in Conquest however will be promoted immediately, simply because I won't have enough resources to buy enough staffs to wait that long, and Heart Sealing them into another unit will cost me even more EXP. EXP that could be better served with another unit.

With that gold DLC however, I could use that to buy staffs, and rely on a surrounded enemy, with my units unequipped, damaging one of them while my healer racks up EXP by healing said unit. But, I assume this question is posed to us without regarding DLC.

9 times out of 10 you want to wait, but especially in Lunatic, some characters (i.e. Benny) have a critical statistical flaw (bad bases for their joining time, bad growth in a key stat) that can be remedied by a skill/promotional bonuses (Defensive Formatuon in Benny's example).

Edited by JothTheConqueror

It just really depends on your situation as a whole. I usually wait until 20, but sometimes its time to bite the bullet and promote a unit. That could be level 17 or level whatever.