Understanding this game's AI

Redwall

Just did everyone's favorite Chapter 19 Nohr.

The enemies had a slightly different pattern - if they could damage my tank, they would, unless they could get into range of a squishier unit next turn, in which case they went invisible and ran towards that unit. I'll try to draw it out in pictures.

|
|*   X    O
|-----------
* = enemy

X = tank

O = squishy

I think the logic might've been "if I can cloak and ignore the tank and dive the squishy units, do it, otherwise attempt to do some damage to the enemy before dying a slow and painful death". I think all of the "runners" had Pass, but I don't remember (and I'm not about to restart my game to find out).

This can be exploited, if you don't mind waiting around for turns. I suspect that this AI is unique to the chapter. . .unless there's units that go invisible somewhere else.

The kitsune's illusions go on a pattern. At the end of the player phase, if the kitsune has an illusion it will turn off and viceversa. But, some of them never use an illusion, like the ones that are aggresive since the start of the map.

One thing I don't like is that when the illusions make them untargetable, but not impassable, so they can and will block you if you are on a chokepoint. Then the ones with pass will ignore your tank if they can't damage it, and just go straight for your other units (and their ponies).

That's odd, I know a certain egotistical kitsune had his on for multiple turns. I think attacking turns it off, and any other actions allow it to stay on.

I really, REALLY want to see how I can exploit this.

Also for Lunatic Nohr chapter 22

the AI has changed.

On hard, the retainers and their groups would move if you got in range of one of their allies (the ones that have 2 range weapons) and assist them on the attack. Now they only move if you either attack one of their allies, or you get in a specific range ( with Subaki's group, if you get in range of the sages). On hard, you could bait Subaki by himself if you got on his range.

Does the AI ignore a target that they can't do damage to because their target is on a forest or something, or would they ignore that and attack anyway?

AI takes into account the damage displayed when attacking, so it takes into account stuff like Sakura's/Elise's personal skill, terrain, and Weapon triangle advantage/disadvantage.

I can for sure say that there are different AI patterns for different enemies. On Conquest/Hard Chapter 17, My Xander was basically a wall as no enemies would attack him, so placing him in a chock point would make the enemies get near him but will not engage him, even if the enemies had poison skills. However in Conquest/Hard Chapter 25, theres a certain section where your units would have to pass by a hallway with ninjas on the outside containing 2 poison skills(Snake Venom, and Grisly Wound). Even if a unit could not take damage from their attacks, they would still attack the unit from a distance knowing after the battle the unit would lose 40% of their HP. I think different enemies have different AI depending on the situation and if they have a specific role.

Edited by Aestury

I think the reason they wouldn't attack Xander was because he could counter attack and one shot them, plus the fact that they do no damage. The 3-range ninjas can't be counterattacked so they attack when they can do it.

I think the reason they wouldn't attack Xander was because he could counter attack and one shot them, plus the fact that they do no damage. The 3-range ninjas can't be counterattacked so they attack when they can do it.

This 100%

Edited by joshcja