Will There Be A Mod/Hack For This Game?

Mainly for Kiria's Reincarnation costume and whatever else Nintendo of America remove from the game's western release.

FYI Kiria's Reincarnation costume got changed in the Japanese release too. Just saying if you or others didn't know already.

Edited by FoliFF

FYI Kiria's Reincarnation costume got changed in the Japanese release too. Just saying if you or others didn't know already.

I know. Still doesn't change the fact that it was changed though.

I know. Still doesn't change the fact that it was changed though.

Valid point. However, any game and its content prior to release can be subject to change. It's a part of the game development after all. Still it's very likely in Kiria case it deemed to lewd even by JP standard to warrant its age rating.

Valid point. However, any game and its content prior to release can be subject to change. It's a part of the game development after all. Still it's very likely in Kiria case it deemed to lewd even by JP standard to warrant its age rating.

I believe the costume was changed due to another game featuring the song and "music video" in Japan. I don't know the Japanese name for this other game, but over here the game is called Wii Karaoke U.

Also, I'm pretty sure Nintendo/Atlus were expecting a higher age rating in Japan because they were originally expecting the game to be rated M in North America. Most ESRB M rated games in Japan end up with a CERO C or D rating for explicit sexual content.

And lastly, as far as changing content during development is concerned, all of that is fine but they shouldn't show the content or announce something to the public if they plan on making an obvious change in the future.

I believe the costume was changed due to another game featuring the song and "music video" in Japan. I don't know the Japanese name for this other game, but over here the game is called Wii Karaoke U.

Hmm I didn't know that, interesting.

Also, I'm pretty sure Nintendo/Atlus were expecting a higher age rating in Japan because they were originally expecting the game to be rated M in North America. Most ESRB M rated games in Japan end up with a CERO C or D rating for explicit sexual content.

I believe the rating would still be B or C in Japan since they are far more lax on that front compared to US. For them the sexuality in game doesn't need a mature rating since it's simply harmless fan service. All I know ESRB doesn't have a rating that would be same as cero C or pegi 16 which in turn isn't a M rating.

And lastly, as far as changing content during development is concerned, all of that is fine but they shouldn't show the content or announce something to the public if they plan on making an obvious change in the future.

True true, I'm just saying while it's uncommon to happen it happens time to time, especially during development time.

Edited by FoliFF

Hmm I didn't know that, interesting.

I believe the rating would still be B or C in Japan since they are far more lax on that front compared to US. For them the sexuality in game doesn't need a mature rating since it's simply harmless fan service. All I know ESRB doesn't have a rating that would be same as cero C or pegi 16 which in turn isn't a M rating.

True true, I'm just saying while it's uncommon to happen it happens time to time, especially during development time.

The rating would most likely be CERO C like Fire Emblem Fates since Camilla wears a similar outfit.

However, I can see why the costume could cause an issue if Nintendo was trying to include the song in a product with a lower age rating (Wii Karaoke U is rated CERO A for all ages, while #FE is CERO B.)

Wii Karaoke U features videos!? I thought it's audio-only, and the visual is always just Miis dancing!?

Fire Emblem Fates was rated CERO C because of the Nohr ending cutscene. I don't know if Camilla's outfit alone would contribute to this, but Tsubasa's Pegasus Form outfit suggests that Camilla's outfit isn't enough to warrant a C. It isn't that much worse.

And I think it's fine to have non-final game contents show up in trailers. Changes go both ways, after all. Few would actually complain about Lissa not having a yellow map sprite in the final Fire Emblem Awakening, and changes like Ike's flames changing to blue in Super Smash Bros. were praised.

Edited by nocturnal YL

Wii Karaoke U features videos!? I thought it's audio-only, and the visual is always just Miis dancing!?

Fire Emblem Fates was rated CERO C because of the Nohr ending cutscene. I don't know if Camilla's outfit alone would contribute to this, but Tsubasa's Pegasus Form outfit suggests that Camilla's outfit isn't enough to warrant a C. It isn't that much worse.

And I think it's fine to have non-final game contents show up in trailers. Changes go both ways, after all. Few would actually complain about Lissa not having a yellow map sprite in the final Fire Emblem Awakening, and changes like Ike's flames changing to blue in Super Smash Bros. were praised.

From my understanding it's the Japanese version only. I don't have the game myself, but it wouldn't be surprising if the Japanese version had exclusive content to differentiate the game from the western versions.

Uh, that cutscene has Kamui/Corrin running into Camilla's boobs. And I would say Tsubasa's regular outfits aren't too revealing compared to Camilla's and Kiria's original Reincarnation outfit.

To each their own. I'm starting to disagree with the practice because I feel it's a form of false advertising and a way for gaming companies to drum up hype for their game and get people to preorder the game faster.

To each their own. I'm starting to disagree with the practice because I feel it's a form of false advertising and a way for gaming companies to drum up hype for their game and get people to preorder the game faster.

I understand if you are being upset about Nintendo changing things when they localize the game for the West, but saying that they showed the previous Kiria's outfit to get more preorder or suggesting that if they show something early in development, that thing must absolutely stay in the final release* is quite reaching.

I'm not saying that it never happens but I don't think it that case they had the intention of deceiving potential buyers with any of the changes, even with the first trailer with "SMTxFE".

* I mean, in this case, this is something absolutely minor, a slight costume change, it isn't really in the same scale as... if they promised a multiplayer mode and then cancelled it. Or the trailers with "in-game footage" that look much better than the game actually looks, etc...

Edited by Avk

I understand if you are being upset about Nintendo changing things when they localize the game for the West, but saying that they showed the previous Kiria's outfit to get more preorder or suggesting that if they show something early in development, that thing must absolutely stay in the final release* is quite reaching.

I'm not saying that it never happens but I don't think it that case they had the intention of deceiving potential buyers with any of the changes, even with the first trailer with "SMTxFE".

* I mean, in this case, this is something absolutely minor, a slight costume change, it isn't really in the same scale as... if they promised a multiplayer mode and then cancelled it. Or the trailers with "in-game footage" that look much better than the game actually looks, etc...

Actually I wasn't thinking about #FE specifically when making that comment.

I was thinking more along the lines of how Nintendo of America announced the (very limited) special edition for Fates and waited about one or two weeks before release to officially confirm the removal of in game content.

Actually I wasn't thinking about #FE specifically when making that comment.

I was thinking more along the lines of how Nintendo of America announced the (very limited) special edition for Fates and waited about one or two weeks before release to officially confirm the removal of in game content.

Then this is about localization and not false advertisement, atleast in these cases.

I won't comment to much about Fates, since it's not too related to #FE and I didn't follow closely the american release of Fates, I'll just say that I think that the changes are mostly pointless but I can understand why they decide to do these changes after seeing how some people reacted to some elements of Fates or #FE (mainly referring to skinship and supports, I suppose that's what you were referring to ?).

I also suspect that meeting specific age rating has an influence on localization since they differ greatly between regions as it was mentioned earlier in the thread.

I don't think the way they handle localization will change anytime soon unless either they change the staff in charge of localization (I think they do a decent job) / the intern directives about localization or people become more open-minded.

no, so don't buy the game. by extension of your logic, since Eliwood isn't the game and he was shown in original the teaser, there needs to be a mod to put him in or else you can't buy it because it's false advertising/they changed their own game plans/etc.

also lol @ the conspiracy theory

no, so don't buy the game. by extension of your logic, since Eliwood isn't the game and he was shown in original the teaser, there needs to be a mod to put him in or else you can't buy it because it's false advertising/they changed their own game plans/etc.

also lol @ the conspiracy theory

Cool. Hopefully by me not buying the game it sends a message to Nintendo to not let other companies collaborate on their IP/franchises in the future because they'll sell bad if they do. /sarcasm.

And lol @ getting defensive over video games because someone hates being forced to preorder an extremely limited edition to have the "full" experience.

To my knowledge, nothing of the sort is possible right now on the Wii U. Maybe in a couple of years

There is modding for Wii U.

There's a Xenoblade X undub and gear restoration for Lin for example.

5.5.0+ FW exploits were gonna be released, but then the main hacker dude got his place raided (allegedly) so who knows when that's gonna come out.

Cool. Hopefully by me not buying the game it sends a message to Nintendo to not let other companies collaborate on their IP/franchises in the future because they'll sell bad if they do. /sarcasm.

And lol @ getting defensive over video games because someone hates being forced to preorder an extremely limited edition to have the "full" experience.

how am I getting defensive? there is nothing to defend, as far as I see.

I don't like the culture of pre-ordering (especially LEs/SEs) to get the full experience either, I don't get your point

and I don't want to debate anything either, I just wanted to laugh. so feel free to defend yourself, but it will change nothing. if you don't like being laughed at, too bad: people who think you're acting dumb will laugh at you. same with people who think I'm acting dumb. you can try to change or you can just accept that you will be laughed at and hold your head high with your beliefs, which is respectable. =)

(or you can be stubborn and get upset that someone is laughing at your beliefs, I guess, but there's no merit in that...)

• 3 months later...

Umm, to be fair, I thought people complained about censoring because it would start a domino effect of censoring stuffs in games because they can, some which can be detrimental. But so far in the game, I see nothing that AtlusUSA changed that detrimented the gameplay or story or characters in any way. So I think it's bit of a stretch to have a mod revert to Tsubasa in bikini (although I like her hiphop outfit) and the ages back to, well, under 18.

To each their own, I know. But it doesn't give the most positive reflection on the players.

on the topic of the wedding dress, that's the only change I am horrifically salty about, especially since her cleavage/lines indicating her cleavage is STILL THERE, they literally just recoloured her skin to white in her arms, chest & legs.

but anyway. what can you do. all other changes were so small that they SHOULDN'T have been done, but also so small that they shouldn't be causing this much of a fuss.

Edited by rinshiiya

So I found out that apparently, there is a suspicion that AtlusUSA will cut out a Hot Springs DLC (though there is no official confirmation)

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/04/western_localisation_of_tokyo_mirage_sessions_fe_features_costume_and_age_changes

Well, I can say that I am bummed, because we miss potential interaction between the cast and more about their personality. The other changes are more on the cosmetic side but this is an entire sidestory session. That's a shame really.

on the topic of the wedding dress, that's the only change I am horrifically salty about, especially since her cleavage/lines indicating her cleavage is STILL THERE, they literally just recoloured her skin to white in her arms, chest & legs.

but anyway. what can you do. all other changes were so small that they SHOULDN'T have been done, but also so small that they shouldn't be causing this much of a fuss.

This is how I feel about Kiria's Reincarnation outfit.

Nintendo didn't localize or change the outfit. They just photoshopped her skin color in the CG cutscene and the only piece of artwork featuring her wearing the outfit.

Edited by MMXZero

This is how I feel about Kiria's Reincarnation outfit.

Nintendo didn't localize or change the outfit. They just photoshopped her skin color in the CG cutscene and the only piece of artwork featuring her wearing the outfit.

Kiria's outfit was changed - they didn't photoshop different colors onto her character model like Tsubasa's wedding dress (which is totally ugh, it looks terrible and so obvious). It's pretty clear with Kiria that they actually redesigned part of her character model, gave her pants that don't at all look out of place unlike other localization-specific changes. I think the pants look cool - I always thought the original outfit looked kind of stupid, just the boots with only underwear looked weird. But everyone's gonna look at it differently.

On that subject, you said earlier how developers shouldn't show content in advance that will obviously be changed later. That's a rather unreasonable request - I'm pretty sure they did not show Kiria's original concert outfit, while at the time of showing it think "yeah we're totally adding pants later we just haven't gotten to it yet." A lot of work goes into designing these character models, and even simply putting pants on her is not as simple a task as the final product looks. I'm sure something happened after that trailer that they ended up either needing to change it (which could have been to achieve a desired age rating - this happens a ton of time with game development, or because of certain internal issues we'll never know about), or creative discussions among the staff ended up changing her outfit out of an artistic choice because they liked that better than the original design (not to mention Kiria's concert outfit probably went through dozens of design drafts and partial character models before that reveal trailer). These things happen CONSTANTLY in games before they're released. Just look at Twilight Princess's reveal trailer. Tons of stuff there that never made it into the final game.

And that's the rub with pre-release trailers and demos. The developers are trying to give people an honest look at what their game will be, but the development process is an ever-changing monstrosity that is hard to fathom unless you've been in the midst of it. Heck, I still look at the Twilight Princess reveal trailer and wistfully think on what could have been. And there are often artistic choices where I feel similar to you - I liked what they showed off earlier more than what the final product had. So I get the sentiment of "I liked this better, why did they change it?" but please don't take that to "they should never show off something in a pre-release trailer if it is going to be changed in the final product." Developers don't have the gift of future-sight or a time machine. They often do their best to show an honest representation of their game, and yet the sheer amount of times that pre-release trailers don't perfectly match the final product should make it abundantly clear that there are a huge amount of unforeseen complications that come up through the entire course of game development.

But I am with you on localization-specific changes - I do not feel they should have changed any of the outfits from the Japanese release. It's not like Westerners can't handle those outfits, and even the most risque of the ones in the Japanese release are fairly tame overall. It's a nonsensical localization choice that no one can justify.