Fire Emblem Fates: The Good and the Bad (spoilers)

Alex95

Good:

• The Avatar: Robin and Kris were fan-ficy cardboard cutouts, Corrin is at least a real character..
  • Pair-Up: Was overpowered in Awakening, works better here. Enemies can pair-up too.
  • Story: More well-written than Awakening's, characters actually die, choices matter.
  • Weapon Durability Removal: Not sure what this entails on harder difficulties, but on normal it makes the game significantly less tedious.
  • 3 Campaigns: This game does multiple versions without seeming like a cashgrab. (Shoutout to Pokemon) One game is harder than the other, which is also cool because there's more options and different experiences. Buy one, get the second for $20 is pretty awesome too.
  • My Castle: Nice little side-thing to do if you're bored with the main game.

Meh:

• Children: The deeprealm explanation was thrown in and weird, throwing them in some other universe where they age super fast is probably less safe than just keeping them at camp. Also some of the children are just reskinned Awakening characters.
  • Phoenix Mode: Did anyone want this?

Bad:

• Incest: You can marry your brothers and sisters. Not much more to say there.
  • Skinship: Is this a Japanese thing that I don't understand? Not sure what the appeal is, just seems creepy.
  • The original Soleil/MCorrin support: This deserves its own list item.
  • Diversity (or lack thereof): There's literally more people that can turn into animals than there are people with a darker skintone.

Outside of Pair-Up Dual System...Story isn't that different, somewhat better thanks to 3 different routes you could take. Characters do die in Awakening (Classic). DLC Routes is still 'Pay to get'...at 50% discount of the original price. Infinite weapon durability isn't as expanded, Lunatic it helps since you're not going to lose weapons so fast before you can afford to buy new ones (which would really suck if all your characters weapon's durability hit 0 and you were still in a battle). Phoenix Mode is for beginners who are new to the series or to the game and don't want to have to reset or restart a lot.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Takumi is an annoying little bitch who is basically the Japanese version of Trump. So, wait, Tojo? Yeah, I guess. Generally speaking I thought that the Nohr siblings were far more interesting.

I know the no durability weapons aren't a new thing, but it's new to me, so I'm trying to work with it. And, yeah, I just ignore what I don't want/like, but it's still there, and I can't do anything about that.

Oh, yeah, completely forgot about this creepy thing!

Since I'm kinda regarding this as a review, I might as well give it a score:

9.0 out of 10

While it (like pretty much any game ever) has it's flaws, I still find it to be a very enjoyable and amusing game. There are things that need improvements or things it didn't need, but I'm having a lot of fun with this game and it would please any Fire Emblem fan, both new and old.

Except that your Hoshido and Nohrian siblings aren't really your 'siblings'... S-Rank Marriage Dialogue using Corrin to marry any of your Hoshidian Royal Siblings proves it rather blandly regarding your relationship with them (Ryoma, Hinoka, Takumi and Sakura). I don't know about the Nohrian Sibling relationship but for a fact you're not related by actual siblings.

Lilith is actually your only true blood-Sibling in Fates.

my list:

The Good: Conquest's gameplay (more of that in FE15 pls) and Oboro (I really hope her popularity tells IS that we want more characters that are more like Jill and less like Ilyana and not that we want more anime girls with blue hair)

The Bad: Literally everything else

Edited by kantoorfarina

Except that your Hoshido and Nohrian siblings aren't really your 'siblings'... S-Rank Marriage Dialogue using Corrin to marry any of your Hoshidian Royal Siblings proves it rather blandly regarding your relationship with them (Ryoma, Hinoka, Takumi and Sakura). I don't know about the Nohrian Sibling relationship but for a fact you're not related by actual siblings.

Lilith is actually your only true blood-Sibling in Fates.

But in case of Hoshido, you don't know unless you actually do the S support or get that far in the game. In the case of Nohr, you still grew up with these people as your siblings for most of your entire life, it's a little weird to start banging them almost right after you hear you're not related.

Characters do die in Awakening (Classic). Phoenix Mode is for beginners who are new to the series or to the game and don't want to have to reset or restart a lot.

I meant characters dying in the story that aren't brought back with Xenologues. Phoenix Mode is pointless because Casual exists.

Edited by Alertcircuit

Good:

• Art direction
  • Music
  • Niles
  • Gameplay
  • My Castle

Bad:

• Literally only 2 same-sex marriage options
  • Conquest's story
  • How a lot of things that should've been a big deal are merely brushed over [think, a lot of events in Revelations]

Good:

• Art direction
  • Music
  • Niles
  • Gameplay
  • My Castle

Bad:

• Literally only 2 same-sex marriage options
  • Conquest's story
  • How a lot of things that should've been a big deal are merely brushed over [think, a lot of events in Revelations]

Conquest's Story isn't that bad really. I don't know much about Revelations since I haven't played it yet as I don't have it, so I can't say much.

my list:

The Good: Conquest's gameplay (more of that in FE15 pls) and Oboro (I really hope her popularity tells IS that we want more characters that are more like Jill and less like Ilyana and not that we want more anime girls with blue hair)

The Bad: Literally everything else

Hm...that's saying as if the content overall is a bit poor. I would rather say that the good would be how some of the character development that some characters undergo in each route. In a similar vein to me, the bad is how the content isn't as broad or how short the overall story is compared to the earlier series versions.

Good/improvements:

-maps

-objectives

-dual attack/dual guard mechanics

-music

- mycastle (most of it)

Bad/worse:

- min/maxing

- game is broken even easier than Awakening using mycastle

- story for everything but Birthright

- characters

- skillbuying

- children

- returning characters outside of DLC lords/avatars

Meh/Undecided:

- Infinite Weapon durability

- gay marriage + for inclusion - for implementation, at least it's inclusion helps point out bigot fans for ignoring.

But in case of Hoshido, you don't know unless you actually do the S support or get that far in the game. In the case of Nohr, you still grew up with these people as your siblings for most of your entire life, it's a little weird to start banging them almost right after you hear you're not related.

I meant characters dying in the story that aren't brought back with Xenologues. Phoenix Mode is pointless because Casual exists.

Ok, yeah, regarding your second point, not bringing back story-related characters (who you do get regardless of whatever) who die (once again for story purposes) and they can't return once they do die is something new. Phoenix Mode is basically Easy Mode x2.

Outside of Hoshido, you don't really learn that you aren't blood-related to Xander, Camille, Leo or Elise at all in the Conquest route, if at all you don't even learn about that so the only way is to look up information on sites. The Hoshido Royal Family actually tells you how odd it is that they thought of how they (Hoshido Royal Siblings) were siblings with Corrin.

Incest doesn't stop being weird/creepy just because you're only adopted siblings. The blood part really isn't as important as the power dynamics and the abuse of trust that a sexual relationship between siblings typically entails. Pairing up Corrin with Elise strikes me as particularly creepy, she's known him almost her whole life and worships him as her cool big brother, to take advantage of that seems squick as all hell.

At least if you pair up Corrin with Xander or Camilla you can argue that they're all old enough to make their own decisions (especially since you, as the player, are "making" Corrin's decision to chase after your elder sibling).

I mean the game encourages me to take everything related to pairing and children not seriously, so it's not as big a deal as it could be (I've seen people joke about wanting to bang their hot siblings in this game, and I don't have any problem laughing along), but if we take it seriously at all it's quite problematic.

Good:

• The Avatar: Robin and Kris were fan-ficy cardboard cutouts, Corrin is at least a real character..
  • Pair-Up: Was overpowered in Awakening, works better here. Enemies can pair-up too.
  • Story: More well-written than Awakening's, characters actually die, choices matter.
  • Weapon Durability Removal: Not sure what this entails on harder difficulties, but on normal it makes the game significantly less tedious.
  • 3 Campaigns: This game does multiple versions without seeming like a cashgrab. (Shoutout to Pokemon) One game is harder than the other, which is also cool because there's more options and different experiences. Buy one, get the second for $20 is pretty awesome too.
  • My Castle: Nice little side-thing to do if you're bored with the main game.

Meh:

• Children: The deeprealm explanation was thrown in and weird, throwing them in some other universe where they age super fast is probably less safe than just keeping them at camp. Also some of the children are just reskinned Awakening characters.
  • Phoenix Mode: Did anyone want this?

Bad:

• Incest: You can marry your brothers and sisters. Not much more to say there.
  • Skinship: Is this a Japanese thing that I don't understand? Not sure what the appeal is, just seems creepy.
  • The original Soleil/MCorrin support: This deserves its own list item.
  • Diversity (or lack thereof): There's literally more people that can turn into animals than there are people with a darker skintone.

I basically agree with most of this (I've already elaborated on incest), except move My Castle to meh (I don't care one way or another, but I will say that I like the shop system, it's up there with RD's for being actually convenient), and add Conquest map designs and lack of ninja reinforcements to the "Good".

Edited by Dark Holy Elf

Good/improvements:

-maps

-objectives

-dual attack/dual guard mechanics

-music

- mycastle (most of it)

Bad/worse:

- min/maxing

- game is broken even easier than Awakening using mycastle

- story for everything but Birthright

- characters

- skillbuying

- children

- returning characters outside of DLC lords/avatars

Meh/Undecided:

- Infinite Weapon durability

- gay marriage + for inclusion - for implementation, at least it's inclusion helps point out bigot fans for ignoring.

Actually for me, it isn't as easy as Awakening...

My Castle is actually harder in Fates to get good units from much stronger players as they will just about wreck your own team. Skill-buying is somewhat new but at the same time somewhat not needed for veteran players. Characters are bad? Min-maxing...I can't say it properly but going full glass cannon or fragile speedster is bad news for end-game battles and some streetpass battles. Aka, I tried with Swordmaster Elise in Conquest and things went sour in a Streetpass Fight.

Actually for me, it isn't as easy as Awakening...

My Castle is actually harder in Fates to get good units from much stronger players as they will just about wreck your own team. Skill-buying is somewhat new but at the same time somewhat not needed for veteran players. Characters are bad? Min-maxing...I can't say it properly but going full glass cannon or fragile speedster is bad news for end-game battles and some streetpass battles. Aka, I tried with Swordmaster Elise in Conquest and things went sour in a Streetpass Fight.

You don't need to even beat people. Some people leave their castles basically undefended. Or you can speed in and seize. It takes 0 resources to recruit. Skill buying ruins min/maxing by making the answer "just buy whatever" which makes pairing S ranks boring and pointless.

Incest doesn't stop being weird/creepy just because you're only adopted siblings. The blood part really isn't as important as the power dynamics and the abuse of trust that a sexual relationship between siblings typically entails. Pairing up Corrin with Elise strikes me as particularly creepy, she's known him almost her whole life and worships him as her cool big brother, to take advantage of that seems squick as all hell.

At least if you pair up Corrin with Xander or Camilla you can argue that they're all old enough to make their own decisions (especially since you, as the player, are "making" Corrin's decision to chase after your elder sibling).

I mean the game encourages me to take everything related to pairing and children not seriously, so it's not as big a deal as it could be (I've seen people joke about wanting to bang their hot siblings in this game, and I don't have any problem laughing along), but if we take it seriously at all it's quite problematic.

I basically agree with most of this (I've already elaborated on incest), except move My Castle to meh (I don't care one way or another, but I will say that I like the shop system, it's up there with RD's for being actually convenient), and add Conquest map designs and lack of ninja reinforcements to the "Good".

Corrin (any gender) with Elise isn't as bad, given that you know Elise enough. Corrin with Camille...well, just plays out how Camille normally acts around her 'sibling'. I don't know much about Xander yet, haven't gotten him yet in my Conquest playthrough. This game is meant to be light and dark while at the same time being serious and comical. That's what I love about it.

You don't need to even beat people. Some people leave their castles basically undefended. Or you can speed in and seize. It takes 0 resources to recruit. Skill buying ruins min/maxing by making the answer "just buy whatever" which makes pairing S ranks boring and pointless.

That's how some players are and that's nice of them to allow beginners to the game to get some breather space. I've seen some 1000+ BP Players leave their castle with units that aren't even equipped with weapons just to show that they want to help other players who just begun (even if said new players can't even defeat any of said enemy units unless the Avatar is set to roam around and leave the throne).

Well, this topic went on longer than I thought it would...

Yeah, it did drag out much longer than an average person could plan out. I'm sorry if I'm one of the root causes, I'm normally quiet and reserved, I decided to break that tradition about myself. Still, people gave their ideas (and complaints about the game and other people).

Possible Good Thing (if it ever happened): Allow players to use the speakers on their 3DS to speak to other players when using their Avatar.

That's how some players are and that's nice of them to allow beginners to the game to get some breather space. I've seen some 1000+ BP Players leave their castle with units that aren't even equipped with weapons just to show that they want to help other players who just begun (even if said new players can't even defeat any of said enemy units unless the Avatar is set to roam around and leave the throne).

Which is the default I'm pretty sure.

Regardless all of this makes Fates breakable even easier and faster than Awakening.

Which is the default I'm pretty sure.

Regardless all of this makes Fates breakable even easier and faster than Awakening.

Actually, by default, all units set in Streetpass Teams have their course of action set to 'Attack'. You have to manually reselect a different course of action to have them do otherwise. Most streetpass teams that I see that do kind things for players have the Avatar set to 'Attack' (with or without weapons/this allows players to seize with little to no challenge at all if the Avatar has no weapons) while everyone else has no weapons or healing staves/rods and are set to defend or hold (they won't move at all). Fates isn't that much easier compared to Awakening overall, I can agree that is certainly is easier that some of the earlier FE installments.

The Good

-Conquest maps/objective variety

-Attack/Guard system

-Hidden Weapons

-(most) Class outfits

-Music

-New classes

-New skills

-My Castle (most of it)

-Fantastic story premise

-Greatly improved class changing/skill acquisition system

-Refreshing Eastern aesthetic

-Oboro

The Bad

-The Story. Conquest is a trainwreck and the premise as a whole is mostly squandered.

-Excessive player worship

-The 3rd, DLC exclusive route that gives you everything and is required for the know the overarching plot of the game.

-Many female class outfits missing pants

-Children. Normally this would be in the "Meh" section but it makes horrible implications for the characters.

-Being unable to purchase limited equipment at other player's My Castles.

-Marx

The Meh/Mixed

-Unlimited Durability/Weapon Effects. It's an interesting system which I won't say is better or worse than previous games. I do think some weapons need to be better so forged irons don't dominate the game so much.

-Phoenix Mode. There reaches a point where you aren't even playing the game anymore.

-Awakening characters. The game could have made brand new characters instead. As much as I enjoy seeing old favorites, they should just stick to their own games.

-Dragon Vein. Sometimes it has creative uses, other times it's obligatory or boring.

But yeah, I don't like the game being split into 3 versions. I think it is a low brow cash grab, and worse than Pokemon. You could get the most important missing content in your version by trading Pokemon. In Fates you must pay $80 for the "complete" game. I am not sold on their claim that the 3 routes warrant 3 games. A great number of games in the past have offered diverse routes and options. Look at Fallout New Vegas, where most missions alone have multiple sides to choose, and you can even play the entire game by killing everyone. They still just sold it as one game. Star Fox is another example, you get different levels depending on which route you discover, but yet it is just one game. Nintendo can claim that, but put it in perspective, in comparison to these and other similar games already on the market, Fates is in no way worth $80 from having different routes alone. I have Conquest, I'll be buying Revelations and not Birthright.

Fates has an amount of content (per version) equal to many Fire Emblem games. There is some overlapping content so I'd say the $80 for 2ish games is appropriate.

Takumi is an annoying little bitch who is basically the Japanese version of Trump. So, wait, Tojo? Yeah, I guess. Generally speaking I thought that the Nohr siblings were far more interesting.

"We're going to build a wall to keep out all that Nohrian scum, and we'll call it Susano'o." -Takumi on illegal immigration

Edited by NekoKnight

Actually, by default, all units set in Streetpass Teams have their course of action set to 'Attack'. You have to manually reselect a different course of action to have them do otherwise. Most streetpass teams that I see that do kind things for players have the Avatar set to 'Attack' (with or without weapons/this allows players to seize with little to no challenge at all if the Avatar has no weapons) while everyone else has no weapons or healing staves/rods and are set to defend or hold (they won't move at all). Fates isn't that much easier compared to Awakening overall, I can agree that is certainly is easier that some of the earlier FE installments.

My prior post wasn't clear. My point is that it's not set to defend. So you could easily bate out whoevers on the throne, and fly in and seize.

I didn't say that Fates was easier than Awakening. I said it was easier to break the game. Don't be sloppy.

Edited by ckc22

The Good

-Conquest maps/objective variety

-Attack/Guard system

-Hidden Weapons

-(most) Class outfits

-Music

-New classes

-New skills

-My Castle (most of it)

-Fantastic story premise

-Greatly improved class changing/skill acquisition system

-Refreshing Eastern aesthetic

-Oboro

The Bad

-The Story. Conquest is a trainwreck and the premise as a whole is mostly squandered.

-Excessive player worship

-The 3rd, DLC exclusive route that gives you everything and is required for the know the overarching plot of the game.

-Many female class outfits missing pants

-Children. Normally this would be in the "Meh" section but it makes horrible implications for the characters.

-Being unable to purchase limited equipment at other player's My Castles.

-Marx

The Meh/Mixed

-Unlimited Durability/Weapon Effects. It's an interesting system which I won't say is better or worse than previous games. I do think some weapons need to be better so forged irons don't dominate the game so much.

-Phoenix Mode. There reaches a point where you aren't even playing the game anymore.

-Awakening characters. The game could have made brand new characters instead. As much as I enjoy seeing old favorites, they should just stick to their own games.

-Dragon Vein. Sometimes it has creative uses, other times it's obligatory or boring.

Fates has an amount of content (per version) equal to many Fire Emblem games. There is some overlapping content so I'd say the $80 for 2ish games is appropriate.

"We're going to build a wall to keep out all that Nohrian scum, and we'll call it Susano'o." -Takumi on illegal immigration

Regarding the Bad Part: Marx/Xander is 'meh' at least. The clothing issue is both meh and bad in a way that it is almost funny but inappropriate. Can't say much otherwise on Good and Bad other than Oboro is an awesome female character to have (personality and combat). Unlimited Durability should be mostly on Lunatic and somewhat on Hard. Normal doesn't really need infinite as it is already easy in most ways. Phoenix Mode, well, ignore it unless you haven't played any other game before Fates and just started playing Fates. Pricing per game (not DLC) seems right for me.

LOL at your comment on Takumi involving illegal immigration, made me smile and laugh.

My prior post wasn't clear. My point is that it's not set to defend. So you could easily bate out whoevers on the throne, and fly in and seize.

I didn't say that Fates was easier than Awakening. I said it was easier to break the game. Don't be sloppy.

'Sloppy'? As in not specific? Well, that's me whenever I get worked up about topics. I try to avoid being 'bland and sloppy'.

'Easier to break the game' to me is just making the game even easier than intended, which is more than likely what you are trying to imply to me. If so, I'm sorry for sounding arrogant.

I would rather like the commands that players can have their units in Streetpass fights (where others take on your streetpass team) would be Defend (your unit will not move from their current position but will attack/counter-attack anything in range if they are even equipped with anything) and Attack (roam around and attack anything is in rage while moving towards enemies again roaming works even without weapons on said unit). Then again that's how I would feel if I could use said options to set up my own Streetpass Teams.

t8G84AX.png

Outside of Pair-Up Dual System...Story isn't that different, somewhat better thanks to 3 different routes you could take. Characters do die in Awakening (Classic). DLC Routes is still 'Pay to get'...at 50% discount of the original price. Infinite weapon durability isn't as expanded, Lunatic it helps since you're not going to lose weapons so fast before you can afford to buy new ones (which would really suck if all your characters weapon's durability hit 0 and you were still in a battle). Phoenix Mode is for beginners who are new to the series or to the game and don't want to have to reset or restart a lot.

are you having fun responding to literally every post in this thread

Good: it's fun

Bad: the story is stupid

While I in general love Conquest's map design, replaying it I've noticed that some maps are a bit cheaper than others; some rely purely on surprise reinforcements when you've reached a part of the map where it's hard to regroup. Even if some hardcore people argue that anyone playing Conquest should be ready for that, those who DO restart will see the only twist coming. Chapter 14 is the prime example of this.

Then there's the two RNG maps in a row, 19 and 20, but it's like the medicine you had to take as a kid before you got your piece of candy with map 21.