Rend Heaven the Best Offensive Proc?

Rezzy

Is Rend Heaven the best offensive proc? I haven't done any hard math on it, but it seems to do about as much extra damage as Luna and has a much better proc rate as Skill x1.5. I find Astra and Lethality to have too low of a proc rate to be as good as other options.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to put too fine a point on it but...

Yes.

Too bad procs are pointless postgame when you can stack well over 120 raw damage with brave weapons and no proc is reliable in game until it's late enough to not matter.

It could pretty great on nhorian trust procstack breaker builds I guess.

Edited by joshcja

Not to put too fine a point on it but...

Yes.

Too bad procs are pointless postgame when you can stack well over 120 raw damage with brave weapons and no proc is reliable in game until it's late enough to not matter.

It could pretty great on nhorian trust procstack breaker builds I guess.

Good, I've been trying to build up a good unit logbook. I'll try to get this on as my units as I can.

Does Rend Heaven go off of whether the attacking unit is using a tome or physical weapon, or whether the defending unit has a tome or physical weapon equipped to determine strength or magic for the bonus damage?

I'd say not really - it runs off of the enemy's strength or magic stat depending on the user's weapon, which can be a problem.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I'd say not really - it runs off of the enemy's strength or magic stat depending on the user's weapon, which can be a problem.

The player's weapon? It seems that similar to how Luna already works since magic users usually have high resistance and physicals have high defense rather than vice versa.

The player's weapon? It seems that similar to how Luna already works since magic users usually have high resistance and physicals have high defense rather than vice versa.

Yeah, well, I would only really expect it to do much of anything if you're going physical vs physical or mage vs mage. Or going against a hybrid class.

Yeah, well, I would only really expect it to do much of anything if you're going physical vs physical or mage vs mage. Or going against a hybrid class.

Yes!

That's whay I don't use it and stick to Luna. My mages are always fighting physical attackers so....lol

Rend Heaven is clearly better than Luna for fighters. Strength is higher than Defence on a majority of enemies, and enemies with low Strength are typically physically fragile anyway so you probably don't need a skill proc.

I'm less sure for mages.

Not that I care much for Skill-procs anyway.

Rend Heaven steals half of the enemy's Str OR Mag based on the weapon damage you will deal to them with your current weapon. Which is the big flaw of it all \o/

It's good when it works, but it's crap, otherwise. Flats are more reliably consistent and basically just better, imo - especially for the RNG-Hell that Lunatic can be.

Edited by Rei-

Dragon Fang and Luna are more reliable, in my opinion, since they'll always get damage bonuses while it's entirely possible that Rend Heaven can be rendered completely useless (see also: when fighting Sorcerers with any physical unit or any of the physical units that have 0 Base Magic/Growth with magical units).

Lethality is great because Corrin can abuse it without equipping it thanks to Hoshidan Unity, Nohrian Trust and Quixotic all being easily obtainable thanks to MyCastle.

If we're going THAT far.... Also:

>Lethality

>Great

That's a laugh. Lethality's a Useless Useful Skill, especially if I have to waste extra skill slots on other skills that aren't that good just to make it "useful".

>Lethality

>Great

That's a laugh. Lethality's a Useless Useful Skill, especially if I have to waste extra skill slots on other skills that aren't that good just to make it "useful".

Also Enemy Dragonskin > Player's Lethality. Lethality is one of the worst proc skills once you start nearing the endgame. Using skills that increase damage via offensive stats also means that you need to check each unit during preparations to see which enemy is best for said skills (Rend Heaven and Dragon Fang). Dragon Fang makes more sense since it's going to be based off of the damage that you're doing. Luna and to an extend Aether are great regardless because you're doing normal damage most of the time or extra heavy damage whenever it triggers. Plus Luna combined with a Brave Weapon or a Killing weapon makes you a monster since only bosses are normally exempt from critical-hits (those with either high Luck or with Divine Shield/Dragonskin).

I really don't see how you can argue Luna is better than Rend Heaven on physical fighters. One adds half the enemy's Str to your damage, one adds half the enemy's Def. However, there are very few enemies who have more Def than Str (even Generals only have slightly more). The most common examples are probably pure mages like Onmyojis or Sorcerers, but those enemies are also fragile + not fast and thus easy to one-round without a skill-proc, and also don't have great Def anyway so neither skill proc will add much. Finally, Rend Heaven has a 50% better activation rate, so it's gonna be better against almost everything, certainly including Generals.

I really don't see how you can argue Luna is better than Rend Heaven on physical fighters. One adds half the enemy's Str to your damage, one adds half the enemy's Def. However, there are very few enemies who have more Def than Str (even Generals only have slightly more). The most common examples are probably pure mages like Onmyojis or Sorcerers, but those enemies are also fragile + not fast and thus easy to one-round without a skill-proc, and also don't have great Def anyway so neither skill proc will add much. Finally, Rend Heaven has a 50% better activation rate, so it's gonna be better against almost everything, certainly including Generals.

Did I say Luna was better than Rend Heaven on physical fighters? I was talking about damage overall when the skill triggers, so yes, Rend Heaven might be better. But which skill actually is better for when you want to do lots of damage? Say you're taking on a Malig Knight that had 70 HP, 27/27 Strength/Magic and 25/25 Defense/Resistance while using Mjolnir and Corrin has 10/60 HP and 30/30 Strength/Magic and is using a regular Silver Sword, which of the skills would do more damage if all hits were to connect and assuming a critical-hit occurred: Aether, Luna, Ignis, Dragon Fang, Rend Heaven or Vengeance? Astra isn't counted since you're doing less damage on heavily armored opponents (which happens as you get further in the game). Lethality is excluded because if it hits it guarantees to KO anything that doesn't have Divine Shield or Dragonskin, Miracle is not factored in. The enemy doesn't have Miracle, Dragonskin, Divine Shield, Pavise or Aegis equipped and is by itself, Corrin isn't using any tonics or supports and their only skill is one of the above mentioned offensive trigger skills. The stats are made-up to help simulate damage calculations. I just find that Rend Heaven isn't going to be the strongest skill possible, mainly in PvP where enemies can literally pull out some of the strangest set-ups.

Edited by Emblem Blade

My post was more a response to some of the comments I've seen saying Luna was better, not your post in particular, particularly the two posts which immediately followed my previous one.

Though even in your post, against that hypothetical Maligknight, Luna would add 12 damage and Rend Heaven would add 13, and the latter kicks in more often. I don't see how your example in any way changes my point.

Ok...but even then the damage difference is slightly notable. I was giving the stats since saying an offensive proc skill is better than others without giving possible stats of both the attacker and enemy makes it hard for me to believe that there's any single strongest offensive damaging skill in-game.

>Lethality

>Great

You really haven't gotten far in the game, I assume. Only explanation for this distasteful comment.

If your Corrin isn't aiming to be using...

Nohrian Trust

Hoshidan Unity

Quixotic

Vantage

Dragonfang or Aether

Paired with...

Lethality

Miracle

Pavise

Aegis

Aether or Dragonfang

Than you you're not striving for a one man/woman army or for the greatest Corrin that they can be.

Replicate may be considered but at a severe cost to synergy.

Edited by Pretty_Handsome

You really haven't gotten far in the game, I assume. Only explanation for this distasteful comment.

If your Corrin isn't aiming to be using...

Nohrian Trust

Hoshidan Unity

Quixotic

Vantage

Dragonfang or Aether

Paired with...

Lethality

Miracle

Pavise

Aegis

Aether or Dragonfang

Than you you're not striving for a one man/woman army or for the greatest Corrin that they can be.

Replicate may be considered but at a severe cost to synergy.

It's not - it's because Hoshidan Unity isn't very good (Rightful King wasn't very good in Awakening, why would it be good now), and Quixotic's out-and-out laughable.