Forced Restart?!

Natoryuu

So.. i'm new on this hacking stuff, so i don't know what i did wrong.. but i'll try to tell this in detail:
basically.. i just make reskin thing for personal use(not really a project) add a custom animation, change a mug.. then i use GBAGE to replace an already existed map sprite i don't know where is the free space(the only free space i know is D00000, so i insert one in there) so i just replaced an unused map sprite such as female Peer, queen, and female nomad then i try to play it.. everything is just fine up to chapter 2, then i reached the chapter 3.. that's where the problem is started, my game is keep RESTARTING by its own.
I'm trying to play it in a "clean" rom.. everything is fine so i saved the file, then i opened the .sav file in my hacked rom.. but still no luck, then i opened the "hacked" rom in gbage and feditor then save it to a fresh clean rom.. then the clean rom also stop working!.
that's when i realize the problem is not in nightmare module.. but the sprite itself, but i don't know what the hell is i do wrong.
Please for those who have an experience at hacking.. help me

(NOTE: FE7)

what is the sprite

can you explain the exact set of steps you used to insert the map sprite

Okay.. so basically, it was like this (i'm sure the problem is with GBAGE):

1. i open the GBAGE

2. i'm going to the peer(f) standing map sprite offset which is 37845C then replace it with a new map sprite(pupil)

3. since replacing peer(f) moving sprite is giving me a glitch, i change the move sprite pointer of peer(f) into mercenary(f) move sprite offset which is 083BD4E4

4. then i go to gbage again then go to mercenary move map sprite's offset, then i change it to a pupil move map sprite

that's all.... oh and i also insert one move sprite to the what they said a free space(D000000)

(in import bitmap, i just unchecked everything except for import graphic)

when you view your (inserted) graphic in GBAGE, is the compressed graphic (or whatever it says) box ticked?

it is. just to tell you i don't insert it in a free space, but in an already used offset, basically it was "replacing" instead of "inserting"... it is okay? or i really need to insert the graphic in a free space?.. but i don't know where to found the free space, they said the D000000 - E000000 is all free but it doesnt seem free to me, the only free space is D000000 :(

it is. just to tell you i don't insert it in a free space, but in an already used offset, basically it was "replacing" instead of "inserting"... it is okay? or i really need to insert the graphic in a free space?.. but i don't know where to found the free space, they said the D000000 - E000000 is all free but it doesnt seem free to me, the only free space is D000000 :(

It sounds to me like you overwrote whatever comes next because the graphic you're adding is larger than the one you're replacing. Try adding it on a fresh rom and leave the "Abort if new graphic is larger than old" checkbox ticked and see if it still inserts. If it doesn't, then insert into free space. D00000-D90000 is confirmed free space. It should either have a bunch of 00's or FF's.

It sounds to me like you overwrote whatever comes next because the graphic you're adding is larger than the one you're replacing. Try adding it on a fresh rom and leave the "Abort if new graphic is larger than old" checkbox ticked and see if it still inserts. If it doesn't, then insert into free space. D00000-D90000 is confirmed free space. It should either have a bunch of 00's or FF's.

D00000 is alright, i insert it there and it was working.. but what is the free space right after that? because i don't think i can insert it in D00001

D00000 is alright, i insert it there and it was working.. but what is the free space right after that? because i don't think i can insert it in D00001

You need to insert it at an offset divisible by 4 because pointers are 4 bytes long. So no, D00001 wouldn't work. I'm not sure what you mean by "what is the free space after that?". The entire range is free; you can paste it wherever you'd like in there, provided it doesn't extend past D90000 (that part looks empty, but actually isn't).

If you insert it somewhere new, don't forget to check the "repoint graphics pointers" box as well. You can do it yourself quite easily if you forget, though.

You need to insert it at an offset divisible by 4 because pointers are 4 bytes long. So no, D00001 wouldn't work. I'm not sure what you mean by "what is the free space after that?". The entire range is free; you can paste it wherever you'd like in there, provided it doesn't extend past D90000 (that part looks empty, but actually isn't).

If you insert it somewhere new, don't forget to check the "repoint graphics pointers" box as well. You can do it yourself quite easily if you forget, though.

i see.. well, me myself assumed that the free space is the one that you can ticked the "compressed graphic" is, and D90000 isn't, i tried insert sprite in a free space (between D00150 to D90000) and it doesnt work.. actually it give me a glitch

i see.. well, me myself assumed that the free space is the one that you can ticked the "compressed graphic" is, and D90000 isn't, i tried insert sprite in a free space (between D00150 to D90000) and it doesnt work.. actually it give me a glitch

The "compressed graphic" checkbox is on the Image Control pane. What you want to do is click "Import a bitmap". Then you enter the offset where you're inserting the picture in the "Graphics Offset" box. Since you're inserting in a new place, you don't need to check "Abort if new graphics are bigger than old" (because there are no old graphics) but you DO need to check "Repoint graphics pointers", otherwise the game's not going to find your new picture.

The "compressed graphic" checkbox is on the Image Control pane. What you want to do is click "Import a bitmap". Then you enter the offset where you're inserting the picture in the "Graphics Offset" box. Since you're inserting in a new place, you don't need to check "Abort if new graphics are bigger than old" (because there are no old graphics) but you DO need to check "Repoint graphics pointers", otherwise the game's not going to find your new picture.

i see, but it is fine if i don't check the "compressed graphic"?.. because everytime i insert a new graphic in a free space.. the "compressed graphic" box is disabled and i can't check it no matter what

Edited by Natoryuu

it's ephraim lord and great lord map sprite

also pupil and magus map sprite

okay so i actually don't know what "magus" means but where are you inserting each of these?

because if you insert one in D00001, then you need to leave space in the rom for the actual thing itself-- I have no idea how many bits each takes up though (you'd have to check with a hex editor).

i see, but it is fine if i don't check the "compressed graphic"?.. because everytime i insert a new graphic in a free space.. the "compressed graphic" box is disabled and i can't check it no matter what

You should only be able to check "compressed graphic" after you insert and then reload the image in GBAGE... if my memory is accurate.

I think that if you're completely unable to tick the box it actually means the insertion doesn't work, but I'll have to go fiddle with this myself now.

okay so i actually don't know what "magus" means but where are you inserting each of these?

because if you insert one in D00001, then you need to leave space in the rom for the actual thing itself-- I have no idea how many bits each takes up though (you'd have to check with a hex editor).

You should only be able to check "compressed graphic" after you insert and then reload the image in GBAGE... if my memory is accurate.

I think that if you're completely unable to tick the box it actually means the insertion doesn't work, but I'll have to go fiddle with this myself now.

well, i replace it to an used offset, 083BD4E4 for example, so it basically "replacing" instead of "inserting", all the offset i used are originally belong to an unused map sprite(queen, peer f, mercenary f, nomad f. etc) also like Tequila said, i accidently overwrote whatever come next because the graphic i'm adding is larger than the one i'm replacing, so basically.. the problem is Solved

but i still don't understand how to find the free space...

Edited by Natoryuu

I'm not exactly sure how I can be clearer. The space from offset D00000 to D90000 is free. If you look at it in a hex editor, the whole range is filled with either 00s or FFs (NOTE: Just because a space SEEMS to be free doesn't actually mean it IS. However, in this case, it has been confirmed free by virtue of many hacks using the space and not having the ROM crash).

So, basically, you don't have to go looking for free space. Just take our collective word that that area is, in fact, free, and you can put whatever you want in there.

Also, be care about replacing map sprites that don't appear to be used. The female nomad and queen are probably ok, but if you want to insert more it's probably worth repointing and expanding the tables (there's a guide by Skitty_of_Time (I think) on these forums that explains how to do this). I know that if you mess with some that don't seem to be used, like archer on a ballista, the game doesn't like that. So just make new entries. Yes, there's a cap of FF entries (255 in decimal), but it's kind of unlikely that'll be an issue.

I'm not exactly sure how I can be clearer. The space from offset D00000 to D90000 is free. If you look at it in a hex editor, the whole range is filled with either 00s or FFs (NOTE: Just because a space SEEMS to be free doesn't actually mean it IS. However, in this case, it has been confirmed free by virtue of many hacks using the space and not having the ROM crash).

So, basically, you don't have to go looking for free space. Just take our collective word that that area is, in fact, free, and you can put whatever you want in there.

Also, be care about replacing map sprites that don't appear to be used. The female nomad and queen are probably ok, but if you want to insert more it's probably worth repointing and expanding the tables (there's a guide by Skitty_of_Time (I think) on these forums that explains how to do this). I know that if you mess with some that don't seem to be used, like archer on a ballista, the game doesn't like that. So just make new entries. Yes, there's a cap of FF entries (255 in decimal), but it's kind of unlikely that'll be an issue.

oh i see, thanks for information!

so it means.. it's fine if i insert one sprite to D000000 and one in D500000?

oh and don't worry, i'm care about replacing an unused sprite i'll be inserting it in a free space if i know where is it and now.. i am :)

i like to avoid as much problems i can with my hacks eventhough it's only a personal uses

Edited by Natoryuu

Okay!, problems solved, thanks guys! looks like i made some mistake that's why i can't check the "compressed graphic" box, basically i just need to click import the map first, not going to the offset at first(which i usually do :3)

so it means.. it's fine if i insert one sprite to D000000 and one in D500000?

Here's how I'm currently doing things in my hack. Note that this may be a very bad idea (and hopefully someone tells me NO STOP DON'T DO THAT before I get too far).

Insert graphics at new place. Repoint accordingly.

Open in HxD (or hex editor of choice) and see where the new data ends.

Leave a few extra lines just in case the 00s are part of the graphics data (unlikely, but possible), or you want to change/replace the graphic with something a teensy bit bigger in the future.

Note the new offset of free space.

Always, always, write down your changes. It'll save you a headache down the line if, for instance, you have to revert to an older backup because you messed something up.

For instance, here's how my notes file looks like.

44fb532e68a96e171ba461ec44a50054.png

• 2 weeks later...

Here's how I'm currently doing things in my hack. Note that this may be a very bad idea (and hopefully someone tells me NO STOP DON'T DO THAT before I get too far).

Insert graphics at new place. Repoint accordingly.

Open in HxD (or hex editor of choice) and see where the new data ends.

Leave a few extra lines just in case the 00s are part of the graphics data (unlikely, but possible), or you want to change/replace the graphic with something a teensy bit bigger in the future.

Note the new offset of free space.

Always, always, write down your changes. It'll save you a headache down the line if, for instance, you have to revert to an older backup because you messed something up.

For instance, here's how my notes file looks like.

44fb532e68a96e171ba461ec44a50054.png

cool!, that's a lot information, thank you very much !