Is being naturally good at something a bad thing?

IceBrand

this is a problem that happens a l o t to kids who think they never have to study and then finally hit a subject they can't just coast through

edit cuz i spaced out an entire thought:

because they never bothered to develop studying habits or anything

Edited by Specta

Even though this is going to sound kind of conceited, I've heard from lots of people (and I kind of can see why) that I am naturally good at drums. But because of that I actually put more effort into it.

this is a problem that happens a l o t to kids who think they never have to study and then finally hit a subject they can't just coast through

e.g. my transition from middle school to high school

e.g. my transition from high school to college

e.g. my predicted transition from college to med school

e.g. my entire life

e.g. my transition from middle school to high school

e.g. my transition from high school to college

e.g. my predicted transition from college to med school

e.g. my entire life

lol

my GPA has held a nice and steady -0.5 slope for the past seven years.

you'll make it champ

if not smarts, then wit and charm ;)

you'll make it champ

if not smarts, then wit and charm ;)

actually good news is that my premed adviser said that I was a solid candidate for emory med because he was so happy I was a theater major. :')

actually good news is that my premed adviser said that I was a solid candidate for emory med because he was so happy I was a theater major. :')

damn gurl you got all three koalaties

Overall, it's a good thing, but too much talent and it almost always comes with its own neuroses. It's true that kids who are good in the beginning often get to that point where the mysticism of the prodigy wears off and you are like your peers, then you have to actually put the effort in to keep up. Many, instead of facing that effort, grow disillusioned and gain a ton of insecurity. They won't go for things that are hard and may become narcissistic, latching onto anything they are already good at, and refusing to nurture their ability. But talent that always has it easy has it even worse, because they won't know how to put in the effort when it really counts, and will make light of dire circumstances. It's like how teenagers think they invincible. If you never get taken down a peg as a kid, you'll keep thinking it until it gets you crushed, or killed.

Edited by Makaze