The Bidou Technique

Jedi

I'm not gonna bother learning it, as I'm too used to normal controls. Really interesting though.

I'm in a very similar boat, but the concept is just so cool.

I might toy with it some time.

I'm only used to the (old) 3DS controls -- I've never played using any other controller aside from the Gamecube controller, which I find too awkward for me to use, and the Wiimote, which feels uncomfortable in my hands and doesn't feel rather accessible in terms of button input.

I want to try this out really bad. Unfortunately I've got a huge tourney coming up in about a week, so the last thing I want to do now is start fucking with my controls.

If only you had a Hyperbolic Time Chamber eh?

I'm only used to the (old) 3DS controls -- I've never played using any other controller aside from the Gamecube controller, which I find too awkward for me to use, and the Wiimote, which feels uncomfortable in my hands and doesn't feel rather accessible in terms of button input.

You find the GC controller awkward? May I ask why, its not the first time I've heard that and I'm not saying "HOW DARE YOU" I'm just curious, considering I find it very comfortable personally.

I think this will actually be advantageous for players just trying to get into the scene, as it will be just another part of the competitive learning curve and not changing something fundamental that they've done for years.

With this new, innovative technique, the tryhards can... try harder?

It allows better frame movement and everything, but as ZeRo said those players who have been playing Smash for awhile its going to be highly awkward for them to adjust to it from the GC controller, so as Dan said, its actually a more advantageous technique to those newer to smash (or not entirely reliant on their GC controller muscle memory).

The dedicated smashers who live on tournaments and stuff, can't afford to have their consistency drop by trying something quite alien.

You find the GC controller awkward? May I ask why, its not the first time I've heard that and I'm not saying "HOW DARE YOU" I'm just curious, considering I find it very comfortable personally.

It's probably attributed to my extremely low exposure to home consoles (I don't own any home consoles and I hardly visit anybody who has one and if they do, it's usually a Wii and Wiimotes, with their corners, already hurt my hands) and much of my video game time comes from the PC, the DSi, and the 3DS (IMO, 99% doesn't really feel much of an exaggeration to me).

I tried to use the Gamecube controller a few times and it didn't really work out for me due to lack of usage and experience. I just don't have the same level of control I usually have on the 3DS, especially with the different placements of buttons. This can be seen with much how I struggled against bots in the lowest difficulty of Mario Kart Double Dash when I'm already proficient at Mario Kart 7 (3 stars on all difficulties including mirror 150cc) and find Smash Bros. Melee not far off from Smash Bros. Brawl (this is my personal experience speaking, I'm not saying that Melee is Brawl, but I have a harder time inputting controls since I have to sort of re-learn where everything is whereas for Brawl, the button locations aren't convenient at all on the Wiimote so I wound up spamming normal attacks and specials (lol, Falcon Punch spam and Stone spam) when I could have used shields and grabs).

And then, it's just me but I find the Gamecube controller a bit cumbersome. Feels better than the Wiimote but still alien since I'm used to the 3DS.

Edited by Roflolxp54

It's probably attributed to my extremely low exposure to home consoles (I don't own any home consoles and I hardly visit anybody who has one and if they do, it's usually a Wii and Wiimotes, with their corners, already hurt my hands) and much of my video game time comes from the PC, the DSi, and the 3DS (IMO, 99% doesn't really feel much of an exaggeration to me).

I tried to use the Gamecube controller a few times and it didn't really work out for me due to lack of usage and experience. I just don't have the same level of control I usually have on the 3DS, especially with the different placements of buttons. This can be seen with much how I struggled against bots in the lowest difficulty of Mario Kart Double Dash when I'm already proficient at Mario Kart 7 (3 stars on all difficulties including mirror 150cc) and find Smash Bros. Melee not far off from Smash Bros. Brawl (this is my personal experience speaking, I'm not saying that Melee is Brawl, but I have a harder time inputting controls since I have to sort of re-learn where everything is whereas for Brawl, the button locations aren't convenient at all on the Wiimote so I wound up spamming normal attacks and specials (lol, Falcon Punch spam and Stone spam) when I could have used shields and grabs).

And then, it's just me but I find the Gamecube controller a bit cumbersome. Feels better than the Wiimote but still alien since I'm used to the 3DS.

Ahhh ok, that makes alot more sense to me then, thanks for going into it.

• 2 weeks later...

Since my Internet sucks right now and there is no tourney close to me in the near future, I have been getting used to the Bidou - controls and I think I am going to stick with it.

If you don't mind me asking, what differences do you notice in your gameplay so far? (Both good and bad)

I've been thinking of switching to Bidou when the summer starts, since I'll probably be playing less of the 3DS version because I won't be in high school anymore.