Do you like Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link?

DarkDestr0yer61

Do you like Zelda 2?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Zelda 2?

I recently played through this game the first time and I was curious to know what SF thinks of Zelda 2.
I like it, but I can see why a lot of people dislike it. I don't feel like the game is too cryptic aside from the last dungeon, but oh my gosh I felt like the game was hard. Dying was also extremely frustrating because you had to walk back to the palace each time you die. Overall, I enjoyed the game.

I dig it. Its fun and i really like it. The thing i dont like about it, is the crushing difficulty after a certain point. The sixth palace is often a stopping point for me because it gets absolutely ball crushingly difficult around then.

Pretty solid game, and the inspiration for alot of Link's Smash moveset, easily the most challenging Zelda game in my opinion.

The music is great and I just enjoy how different it is, I remember watching both my Mom and Dad do their separate full playthroughs of it when I was little.

Edited by Jedi

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for The Adventure of Link.

I always played it (or Duck Hunt, which I... don't remember fondly... because I sucked at it) whenever we went over to my uncle's apartment when I was younger, and I liked it because it was different from Super Mario Bros 3 (which I like more, but sometimes you wanted something different). I sucked at it back then, but that's how I was with most games, and it was different from everything else enough that I really enjoyed it.

Looking back, however... It could've used some fine-tuning. I enjoy it for its uniqueness, but I wouldn't call it a great game (good, however, I could say it's good). All the same, I would recommend people play it, if only to see something unusual from the Zelda franchise.

Wish I could find a game that was like Zelda II, but better. There's probably at least one out there somewhere.

Also, I wish Link started with the up and down thrusts, instead of having to learn them from hidden wizards.

I like this game more than the original Legend of Zelda, but it's also extremely difficult. I don't find the NES Zeldas as timeless as NES Mario games, despite liking the Zelda franchise more overall. However Zelda 2 inspired a lot of future games, especially the 3D ones with more complex swordplay and magic. While these games end up being too cryptic for me to truly enjoy, this is one of the more outstanding titles in the NES's history and is a very memorable and experimental piece of work.

I like the game on concept, and I really enjoy going through most of the dungeons. What really sucks is that the difficulty curve is all over the place. Death Mountain is WAY too big a spike at that point in the game.

• 2 weeks later...

I look at Zelda 2 as an upgrade of the Capcom arcade game Trojan. Unfortunately, I don't think it has the unique charm over other hack n slash games to give it the edge over run n gun, platform shooters, and straight up brawlers.

Even from its brethren, the shield mechanic sticks out the most to me, and of course, Actraiser tops it for the same thing. If you claim the simulation part disqualifies it, there's actraiser II, and of course, games like Gargoyle's quest and the recent indie game magician's and looter's that followed Zelda 2 and improved on it enough to overshadow it.

Of its contemporary games that are "fair" to compare it to, the NES had Uforia, Shatterhand, Rygar, little Samson, Batman (and its source game ninja gaiden), and the first three castlevanias.. well maybe not simon's quest.

The SNES raises the standard with a bigger, badder castlevania , ninja gaiden, the before mentioned actraiser games, and mostly forgotten stuff like magical pop'n and doremi fantasy. (The SOTN style and modern castlevania's are unfair to compare to his kind of action game because of their different level philosophy)

The Sega Master system has a few, but if you are willing to collect SMS, you would already own Zelda2 for its influences in spite of its inferior gameplay.

But while those games I feel can overcome the genre difference and compete with the likes of Blaster master/Metroid/final fight/contra(in fun factor) and give the feeling of uniqueness by limiting you to mostly melee, Zelda 2 doesn't quite get there. Some of them are more similar to Metroid than I like(for a fair comparison, not for knowing they are better), while others have minor rpg elements like Zelda 2 itself does.