Localisation observations

While I'm 100% against the changes I'm pretty sure they made these changes because until color splash nothing big is coming out on the Wii U untill the fall, they just wanted to get more people to pick it up.

considering that they are redoing some lines I wonder if they went back and changed some of the FE characters names to the english localized names like Draug, Caeda (depending on how yo prononce it), and Tharja.

(I pronounce it Kay-da)

Edited by Captain Karnage

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently, I have to hold a short example on how to disagree. See: below.

I can't say I agree with that first statement. Mainly because I have never seen any ten-year old wear anything like that.... honestly, I think the outfit is kind of cute... for the most part. But to each their own.

Post above: No insults, simple disagreement.

How to respond: Bunch of different ways, really, so I'm gonna do my own thing.

It's possible that the kids I see, especially the girls, are dressed "up", in terms of age-appropriate clothing. That is, some parents will put their kids in outfits that are more suited for an older girl - but it seems to be kinda common where I am, so dunno. Shorts are pretty common here, for really obvious reasons.

It's an improvement from the bikini, that's for sure. If I'd been in charge, I probably would've gone for a spaghetti-strap dress or something - enough to be somewhat shocking (especially if it's something relatively form-fitting), but cut such that I can imagine someone Tsubasa's age wearing that.

Pretty sure the FE characters will get their localized names, or it'll be a case of "what's a Doga"?

That doesn't change what I said about the inconsistencies, or the fact that this is much more tame than other T games

Hyrule warriors http://zeldauniverse.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Hyrule-Wariors-Famitsu-image-41.jpg

Neptunia http://s20.postimg.org/kxzz1hywd/neptuniav_22.jpg

senran kagera on 3ds, just google it.

Even the model viewer in the fates accessory shop is more "lewd"

The reason it got that anticipation is probably for it's relation to the smt franchise. That's the only thing that makes sense because the changes are INCONSISTENT. That's key.

My other points about how an M rating would affect this still stand. It wouldn't get it, but still.

The ESRB does not work that way. Those kinds of recommendations are created based on what exists in that particular product, not what other titles have featured in the past.

Anyways this had buried the lede, NCL and Atlus will not become strained over localization drama. These are companies that have collaborated in the past and will continue to do so in the future when their objectives align.

considering that they are redoing some lines I wonder if they went back and changed some of the FE characters names to the english localized names like Draug, Caeda (depending on how yo prononce it), and Tharja.

(I pronounce it Kay-da)

Around 8:32, the text says her name is Caeda, but it sounds like she is pronouncing it "Shiida", so I am going to assume that there will have the characters name written as Draug but pronounced Doga, and stuff like that.

The ESRB does not work that way. Those kinds of recommendations are created based on what exists in that particular product, not what other titles have featured in the past.

Anyways this had buried the lede, NCL and Atlus will not become strained over localization drama. These are companies that have collaborated in the past and will continue to do so in the future when their objectives align.

What I said didn't influence them at all? Then I can't see what could possibly make them think this would warrant an M rating. The changes don't make sense as they are inconsistent, and there are plenty of examples of more objectionable content getting T ratings. If that's the case, I genuinely don't see any reasoning behind it. T ratings can get away with quite a bit.

I just wanted to say that these changes are not only annoying, but a bad business decision from what I can tell. Atlus may feel the same. I doubt it'll have much, if any impact on their relationship, but just wanted to point out a possibility of them seeing nintendo as dumb to not make my post completely off topic.

Edited by Glyth

The simple truth is that the rating system is somewhat arbitrary to a degree. There's kind of a magic line where once you show too much cleavage or ass you get slapped with an M rating regardless of the product. Personally I find it silly that some cartoon t&a is objectionable to the raters, but that's the system we got.

And then you have a games with more t&a than this that get t ratings. So the esrb is just incompetent, or the did take its relations into consideration. Tear down the establishment.

Whatever, I believe an M rating wouldn't have done any harm anyway.

Whatever, I believe an M rating wouldn't have done any harm anyway.

Sadly if you look from the perspective from a sales analytic T rating just sell better compared to M rating, generally speaking. So understanding their perspective having M rating will hurt your sales.

Edited by FoliFF

Sadly if you look from the perspective from a sales analytic T rating just sell better compared to M rating, generally speaking. So understanding their perspective having M rating will hurt your sales.

That would depend on the game and its audience wouldn't it. It's impossible to be certain, but I don't think it would in this situation.

Also, where did you get the data from?

Edited by Glyth

That would depend on the game and its audience wouldn't it. It's impossible to be certain, but I don't think it would in this situation.

Also, where did you get the data from?

I mainly spoke in a general sense. With a simple google search you will find many articles and statistic with visual graph even concerning video game rating and sales. You'll quickly find that most games have E to T rating and it's here the most sustainable revenue comes from, thanks to the causal audience. Heck, look no further than ESRB own website.

However, it's true it depends on the games genre and audience and most recent sales records comes from M rated games but the fact still remains that less people buy and play M rated games. Lets us not also forget Fate a T rated sold like a hot cake and broke a new record too.

Edited by FoliFF

Well it makes sense that if there are more T games made more revenue will be made from that. This doesn't look like a game that would appeal to casuals. I don't see why it would get an M rating in the first place.

If they were set on a T rating, they could release dlc that would change the content to how it was couldn't they? I don't see why they wouldn't release the hot springs dlc since it would be rated separately. Maybe it won't be part of the bundle, but released on the e-shop. The leaker could have misunderstood, maybe.

TMS #FE in Japan has the Cero B rating which is a Teen rating (PEGI 12 for EU). The game is made for teens as its target audience so one can ask oneself why should NA have a higher rating compared the other regions? They simply don't market the game for mature hardcore audience.

Sadly when it comes to ratings between the different regions there is a serious case of value dissonance where it's widely known that NA frown down upon sex and nudity where in EU and JAP don't. In turn in JAP they censor the violence instead. And yet as you pointed out when it comes to ESRB they are very inconsistent when it comes to rating and nudity in games with Teen rating. All we can do is roll our eyes and sigh in disappointment. Our only comfort is the game got an international release in the first place and all the changes that have been made are only cosmetic.

In case you didn't know even the Japanese release of TMS #FE had their share of some modified costumes, or to others censoring, to fit the Cero B rating. Prime example is Kiria intro concert where originally she wore battle panties while the release there were pants instead. IIRC it had something it conflicted with another game rating that had All-ages rating that shared one of the songs.

If they were set on a T rating, they could release dlc that would change the content to how it was couldn't they? I don't see why they wouldn't release the hot springs dlc since it would be rated separately. Maybe it won't be part of the bundle, but released on the e-shop. The leaker could have misunderstood, maybe.

Sadly DLCs are not allowed to have higher rating than the base game. If they do then they have to change the base game rating too.

It isn't like there hasn't been a difference like that before. Persona 4 for example. It's not like teens would be completely alienated because of that raring anyway.

NA's sexual prudishness is largely exaggerated. Sex is litterally everywhere in media. I don't see how people can say bikinis in this game would cause some sort of moral outrage. Especially with a game like this that appeals to a niche market, people wouldn't care. They would only be appealing to a very small minority of people that may not even exist in favor of everyone else. I find it difficult to believe that the esrb would be so inconsistent over a short period of time.

I knew about that change. Is it actually confirmed that that wa the reason for the edit?

Where does it say that? From what I've read, it's fine as long as it's optional and not a mandatory patch. You would just have to submit it to the esrb and get another rating for that specific content.

"Downloadable content (DLC) that will be appended to a previously-rated product need only be submitted to ESRB for rating if its content exceeds that which is in the existing "core" product. Otherwise, the rating assigned to the core product is applicable to the DLC as well. Where, however, DLC content exceeds the rating assigned to the core product, it must be submitted to ESRB and a different rating may be assigned to the DLC."

Edited by Glyth

Huh... I could have sworn dlcs weren't allowed to have higher rating than the base game... Might have confused with another rating system or simply I am plain wrong, oh well.

True there is sex everywhere in the media today but yet somehow the stagnation is still there especially in movies and video games. As Hardin said there is a magic line on how much skin you are allowed to show before it warrants a higher rating. Some tries to push it others don't.

As for the Japanese change, it was a while but I'm pretty sure it was one of the main reason for the edit. There could be other factors but I don't know how the CERO rating works compared to PEGI and ESRB.

Edited by FoliFF

I'm not entirely sure know if it's like that for pegi too. I would assume it's the same, but I'm up for full confirmation if anyone has it.

But like I said that would be appealing to such a small minority. Embracing cultural ignorance is dumb, that's why I don't like when content gets altered in certain ways because of "cultural differences." I find it especially annoying when it's as unnecessary as it is here considering the core audience. People wouldn't find anything wrong with this game. Lets not obsess over the .01% that people would throw a fit. Games with more sexual content come out with T rating. It is possible that they just were just especially prude with this one. I thought their "anticipation" thing served as a warning for a game that could be potentially be rated mature and may consider what the game may contain because of its relations as well. I don't know though. It at least didn't need to be changed to the extent it was.

Edited by Glyth

Remember that Dead or Alive games have been receiving M ratings for a few years now, and it's not like those games have gratuitous violence or sex. I would even say that DoA4 is no worse in terms of content when compared to the original release of TMS.

I don't play those games so I'm not entirely familiar. From what I see, it has more emphasis on sexualizing the characters, and some of the costumes I'm seeing are more revealing, and certain things tend to get emphasized when fighting. There is also jiggling. This game looks tamer. Also, DoA4 came out 10 years ago.

I'm not entirely sure know if it's like that for pegi too. I would assume it's the same, but I'm up for full confirmation if anyone has it.

You lost me there, what did you mean?

Anyway here is gamexplain video preview discussion.

Here's the written preview for those that are interested in.

You lost me there, what did you mean?

I was talking about if that rating system let you rate dlc higher.

If you look at this video, you can see the posters have been changed. Elenora seems to have a new costume that most likely replaces a swimsuit. I think the other person in the poster is maiko, and she also has a new costume to replace a swimsuit.

I think these were the costumes originally. http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y362/tophatant123/Wut_zpsdj4qefkc.png

I guess that whole scene will be changed as well.

Edited by Glyth

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-details-tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe-dlc-for-the-west/

All DLC that released in Japan is here – with one exception. At least for now, it doesn’t appear that the Hot Springs add-on content will be offered outside of Japan. This was comprised of extra swimsuits and programs that could be viewed on a television featuring the characters in the new costumes.

L.M.FUCKING.A.O

Someone at Nintendo Treehouse REALLY has something against swimsuits.

Edited by Jacien

Tis a shame if true. All the bad news gets me disappointed.
I might still get the game (cuz it still looks fun) but I might cancel my preorder for the special edition and prioritize other games.

It's just hard to get excited now.

Edited by Takeru

Tis a shame if true. All the bad news gets me disappointed.

I might still get the game (cuz it still looks fun) but I might cancel my preorder for the special edition and prioritize other games.

It's just hard to get excited now.

So what were you interested in the game for?

Because that line suggest very interesting things.

So what were you interested in the game for?

Because that line suggest very interesting things.

The story seemed appealing and the characters seem likable. The gameplay looked fun?

I only know little bits and pieces from trailers and articles. Regardless, it was enough to capture my interest.

This game isn't that high up my wishlist though—especially since news of other games I'm more interested in popped up.

Sorry to disappoint if you were hoping for me to point out something redeeming or noteworthy.

Edited by Takeru

more changes found

as someone pointed out in the comments notice that the lines near her pelivis are also gone

and here's a random thought from me

This change was probably caused by 3rd wave feminism outrage, the sad thing is 2nd wave feminism would have been outraged by this change

They're very dedicated to these changes. It's actually somewhat impressive.

Also, I couldn't help but notice that the Japanese typography is missing from the second video.

I kinda liked it but whatever.