FE:A Advice - Starting Out on the Game

How's it going, fellow Awakening-ers. My name is DolphinSquared. I am seeking help on starting out with a playthrough of Fire Emblem Awakening on the Road to Fire Emblem Fates in my region.

Just to set up the perspective of where I'm at, my last playthrough of Fire Emblem Awakening ended at Chapter 5 due to life matters. I still remember bits and pieces of the early game, so I know kinda where to start in my research. However, there are some details of the playthrough that I have trouble ironing out the details of how to map out my playthrough.

The following are the points that I have trouble on and how far I have gone in the planning stages.

1) Marriage and Children

In terms of Marriage, I have already decided to go the canon route and bring Sumia and Chrom together. I have also decided with the Olivia-Avatar pairing. However, for the other pairings, I am unsure of how to map them out so I can get the children with specific movesets. I intend to follow AbdallahSmash026's idea of making Severa the crit-beast she is made to be, but I'm not too sure about how to map out the marriages properly.

NOTE: I do know that if you want to get the children to learn a specific skill, you can change the parents as much as you like until you are able to take the paralogue.

2) Skill Sets and Job Classes

This is the main problem that I have understanding the mechanics of. I understand that characters have a specific set of classes that they can obtain, and that there's a certain way to pass down one skill to the children. But the thing is, I'm not too sure how the skill system works. Do every character get to keep all the skillsets they earn, or can you forget an old skill for a new one just like how Pokemon can forget moves to learn new ones?

3) DLC

At this point of time, all the DLC are released at the moment. I know what most of the DLC are and do, but I would like to ask if there's a specific way to do them to get the best experience of the game. Aside from the hardest difficulty DLCs, and the EXP and money DLCs, I am not too sure how to map them out.

That's all the questions that I have today. I will continue my research as I go through my playthrough in May before I get my copy of the Fire Emblem Fates. If you guys have any tips, feel free to leave them. I greatly appreciate every help I could get to make this playthrough a pleasant and smooth one. Thanks you so much for listening, and as always, have a splashtastic day.

WRT the skill system: A unit can have up to five skills. If they try to obtain a sixth, they must unequip a skill to make room for the new skill (the old skill is still re-equippable). As for the children, the skill they inherit is the last skill that the parents have equipped, assuming that they don't have said skill themselves (Chrom is a special case - he always passes down Aether to his daughters and Rightful King to a son, if he has one, even if he doesn't have them; he's not the only special case, but the other special cases are spoilers).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

When it comes to DLCs you can do them in any order and whenever you want after outrealms becomes available. Only thing really worth noting is the Future Past DLCs should be done late to end game due to spoiler reasons.

How's it going, fellow Awakening-ers. My name is DolphinSquared. I am seeking help on starting out with a playthrough of Fire Emblem Awakening on the Road to Fire Emblem Fates in my region.

Just to set up the perspective of where I'm at, my last playthrough of Fire Emblem Awakening ended at Chapter 5 due to life matters. I still remember bits and pieces of the early game, so I know kinda where to start in my research. However, there are some details of the playthrough that I have trouble ironing out the details of how to map out my playthrough.

The following are the points that I have trouble on and how far I have gone in the planning stages.

1) Marriage and Children

In terms of Marriage, I have already decided to go the canon route and bring Sumia and Chrom together. I have also decided with the Olivia-Avatar pairing. However, for the other pairings, I am unsure of how to map them out so I can get the children with specific movesets. I intend to follow AbdallahSmash026's idea of making Severa the crit-beast she is made to be, but I'm not too sure about how to map out the marriages properly.

NOTE: I do know that if you want to get the children to learn a specific skill, you can change the parents as much as you like until you are able to take the paralogue.

2) Skill Sets and Job Classes

This is the main problem that I have understanding the mechanics of. I understand that characters have a specific set of classes that they can obtain, and that there's a certain way to pass down one skill to the children. But the thing is, I'm not too sure how the skill system works. Do every character get to keep all the skillsets they earn, or can you forget an old skill for a new one just like how Pokemon can forget moves to learn new ones?

3) DLC

At this point of time, all the DLC are released at the moment. I know what most of the DLC are and do, but I would like to ask if there's a specific way to do them to get the best experience of the game. Aside from the hardest difficulty DLCs, and the EXP and money DLCs, I am not too sure how to map them out.

That's all the questions that I have today. I will continue my research as I go through my playthrough in May before I get my copy of the Fire Emblem Fates. If you guys have any tips, feel free to leave them. I greatly appreciate every help I could get to make this playthrough a pleasant and smooth one. Thanks you so much for listening, and as always, have a splashtastic day.

I thought Female Robin and Chrom was canon

This have been discussed to death... There isn't any canon pairings in this game! HOWEVER! Sumia and Female Robin with Chrom DO get most ship tease moments compared to any other ship in this game, but don't forget that it doesn't make them canon just for that.

Edited by FoliFF

Press X to show the range of all enemy units. Keep fragile units out of the pink area! Also, if a unit's low on HP and about to die, it would be a prudent idea to retreat more spaces than you think you need to.

How about you just follow the game and do what pairings you want and screw the "cannon" because in the end you make your own "cannon". Put whoever you feel works best for YOU.

On that note I am going to second Not_The_NSA with Olivia being one of Robin's worst wives.

Go for Lucina instead of Olivia it'll make F!Morgan stronger and Lucina'll benefit from M!Robin's support bonuses more than Olivia.

1. Olivia x Robin isn't great since Olivia is your only Dancer who is busy dancing and Robin wants a wife that can fight with Galeforce like Cordelia, Sumia, Lissa, Maribelle, Lucina, Severa, Cynthia, Gaius!Kjelle/Noire while using his S-Support bonuses.

Nothing is canon, so feel free to pair Chrom and Sumia elsewhere if you like (though their GOOD marriage options are few). Keeping them together is also great: Chrom!Cynthia is busted and Lucina will always be busted, unless her mother is Sully.

Abdallah is bad at Fire Emblem, so I'm not sure why you want to follow his advice... Also, what are you even looking for in "specific move-sets"?

2. All skills that are learned are kept so you can pick up good skills from bad clases, like Luna from Great Knight, and keep that skill as a Paladin.

3. I've all the DLC and Five Anna Firefight, R&R 1 & 2, and LBL 1 are all pretty meh. Besides the gamebreaking DLC like Golden Gaffe, R&R 3, LBL 3, and Exp Growth, Future Past is worth it. Apothesis is worth it if you like a challenge that can be played over and over again.

How about you just follow the game and do what pairings you want and screw the "cannon" because in the end you make your own "cannon". Put whoever you feel works best for YOU.

On that note I am going to second Not_The_NSA with Olivia being one of Robin's worst wives.

Go for Lucina instead of Olivia it'll make F!Morgan stronger and Lucina'll benefit from M!Robin's support bonuses more than Olivia.

Personally, I don't see the problem with him marrying Olivia - I say he should go right ahead and marry her.

Personally, I don't see the problem with him marrying Olivia - I say he should go right ahead and marry her.

Which is why I said for the OP to make their own cannon before I suggested marrying Lucina :/

Which is why I said for the OP to make their own cannon before I suggested marrying Lucina :/

Olivia is actually my personal choice. I want to go with at least one opening canon pairing (Chrom/Sumia) and one personal choice pairing (Avatar/Olivia). Plus it originally was Lissa until I saw Olivia.