By the end of the game who are Corrin's retainers?

kcirrot

Going through Corrin's supports, I see several options for his/her retainers. What I'm wondering is that there are clearly 3 stated retainers and up to about 6.

The three I think are undeniable are: Kaze, Jacob and Felicia.

REASONS:

Kaze

His A support with Corrin directly leads him to becoming Corrin's retainer. It doesn't get more definitive that that.

Jacob

In at least 1, but I recall more, he refers to himself as Corrin's retainer.

Felicia

With her, it's just her parallel to Jacob and role for a M!Corrin

As for the rest, I think there are arguments for Silas, Flora, and Gunther.

But that would leave Corrin breaking the custom of 2 retainers. So in your headcannon who is it. For me it's Kaze and Jacob for the reasons stated.

Corrin has way too many retainers, that much is clear. Gunther, Flora, Felicia and Jakob are established as Corrin's retainers from the beginning but Gunther leaves and may come back while Flora renounces (and in fact, implies she never felt any loyalty towards Corrin) unless you make the right choices, leaving only Felicia and Jakob as the definite retainers. Kaze might become Corrin's retainer, IF the player chooses to do so and Silas is more of a trusted friend and lieutenant than retainer.

So yeah, Corrin could pretty much end up with just Jakob and Felicia.

Kaze becomes a retainer only if you reach A support.

I've stated in other threads, but the term retainer has been so bastardized in this game to almost lose all meaning. Traditionally, it was given to lesser lords who served the lord in combat. Servants typically weren't retainers unless they were higher rank. So a majordomo could be considered a retainer, but the girl scrubbing the chamber pots probably wasn't.

At the beginning of the game, Gunter fits the title of retainer best in the traditional sense. Kaze can reach that title with the proper support. Silas is your friend, but never really becomes your vassal.

Jakob, Felicia, and Flora are more Battle Butler territory.

I personally head!canon only Jakob and Silas. According to in-game, it is Gunter, Jakob, Felicia, Flora and Kaze (if you attain A-rank with him).

Edited by SaiSymbolic

The only reason why MU has a lot of retainers at the start is because they were so sheltered and Garon needed the extra people to help with that. Kaze is the only one who volunteers to be one, and Silas, while technically having a high military ranking, could be an honorary retainer because of his devotion since he has the military to focus on, but still serves under MU.

Speaking of retainers and headcanons, in the "Heirs of Fate", aside from the children who state that they are retainers, I'd like to think Percy is Siegbert's second retainer, Caeldori is Shiro's second, and Mitama is Kiragi's second, with Sophie and Dwyer being male Kana's. Female Kana could have Selkie but it doesn't fit for me imo. If only it was Midori and Rahjat in that chapter instead of Selkie.

Edit: Forgot to mention this, but does it ever say that the royals only have two retainers, or is it only implied? They could very well have both battle retainers and servants instead of sharing servants who work for the royal family as a whole.

Edited by Vere

The only reason why MU has a lot of retainers at the start is because they were so sheltered and Garon needed the extra people to help with that. Kaze is the only one who volunteers to be one, and Silas, while technically having a high military ranking, could be an honorary retainer because of his devotion since he has the military to focus on, but still serves under MU.

Speaking of retainers and headcanons, in the "Heirs of Fate", aside from the children who state that they are retainers, I'd like to think Percy is Siegbert's second retainer, Caeldori is Shiro's second, and Mitama is Kiragi's second, with Sophie and Dwyer being male Kana's. Female Kana could have Selkie but it doesn't fit for me imo. If only it was Midori and Rahjat in that chapter instead of Selkie.

Edit: Forgot to mention this, but does it ever say that the royals only have two retainers, or is it only implied? They could very well have both battle retainers and servants instead of sharing servants who work for the royal family as a whole.

I forget which one, but one support mentions that each Hoshido royal has two retainers. Not sure about Nohr royals.

It's very likely that the other royals have more than two retainers, we only see more of Corrin's retainers cause he's the main character.

And Mikoto has 3 retainers.

There are at least 23 units in Fates that are the royal retainers. Do we really need more? I'm fine with each royal having two.

Kaze becomes a retainer only if you reach A support.

I've stated in other threads, but the term retainer has been so bastardized in this game to almost lose all meaning. Traditionally, it was given to lesser lords who served the lord in combat. Servants typically weren't retainers unless they were higher rank. So a majordomo could be considered a retainer, but the girl scrubbing the chamber pots probably wasn't.

At the beginning of the game, Gunter fits the title of retainer best in the traditional sense. Kaze can reach that title with the proper support. Silas is your friend, but never really becomes your vassal.

Jakob, Felicia, and Flora are more Battle Butler territory.

On the lesser lord definition, Silas definitely fits then, it's stated in multiple supports he is a noble. So does Jakob who is stated to be from a noble family. He wasn't specifically disowned and thus probably still technically a peer.

Just noticed this. On the bottom screen of My Castle, when you're checking your army, if you click a unit, it will give you a description of them. It states that Jakob, Felicia, Flora, and Gunter are the avatar's retainers. It doesn't say that for Kaze or Silas though (although I know about Kaze becoming one).

Just noticed this. On the bottom screen of My Castle, when you're checking your army, if you click a unit, it will give you a description of them. It states that Jakob, Felicia, Flora, and Gunter are the avatar's retainers. It doesn't say that for Kaze or Silas though (although I know about Kaze becoming one).

You can see the description just by clicking on their names on the status screen.

retainer should be considered as a soldier who assists/protects a royal at battlefields. In that case, nobody should be MU's retainer at the beginning, because he/she has never been on a battlefield before. After Garon sending MU out for the first time, Gunter and one of your server could be considered as retainers. Although I think they are just mentor and server who was forced to fight because your daddy is an old piece of s^^t, also from Kaze's support it seems like to become a retainer you should ask that person officially

retainer should be considered as a soldier who assists/protects a royal at battlefields. In that case, nobody should be MU's retainer at the beginning, because he/she has never been on a battlefield before. After Garon sending MU out for the first time, Gunter and one of your server could be considered as retainers. Although I think they are just mentor and server who was forced to fight because your daddy is an old piece of s^^t, also from Kaze's support it seems like to become a retainer you should ask that person officially

But the game itself mentions who MU's retainers are.

Gunter,Felicia,Jakob,flora and kaze( if A rank support is obtained) are Corrin's retainers. The Silas/Effie support points out that he isn't a retainer and just a close friend of corrins.

Headcannon wise, I have Jakob and kaze be the MU's retainers, Felicia becomes royalty through marriage with my MU, Flora quits to become leader of the ice tribe and Gunter retires.

Let's try and look at this logically first.

Flora, Felicia, Jakob, and Gunter are NOT retainers. Flora, Felicia, and Jakob are SERVANTS. Yes, they may also be Corrin's friends, but they still serve him and take care of all the menial things expected of a servant, such as laundry, cooking, and cleaning. It's their job to do those things. That they fight as well is likely because having maids and butlers who can serve as emergency soldiers is probably something Nohrian mentality decided made sense. It does.

Gunter may be argued to be one, but he's rather old to be a retainer for someone as young as Corrin. Additionally, if you look at his backstory revealed in Revelations, you'll see why he would probably have no desire whatsoever to actually be a retainer to any member of the royal family anyways.

Of all those previous mentioned, only Gunter actually COULD become Corrin's retainer. Unlikely considering his age, and his backstory from Revelations.

Sadly, Silas is nothing more then just an old friend of Corrin's. A very well trained old friend, whose been knighted. This of course means he could easily become Corrin's retainer if he was asked by Corrin to become so, or asked Corrin for the position.

In line with that, only Kaze, if you get him to A rank, is Corrin's retainer. Otherwise, Corrin doesn't have even a single retainer.

Now, that's just what logic tells me. I could very well be wrong, but I've seen nothing that proves to me otherwise.

My head canon however tells me mostly the same, up until we get to Silas. Since Kaze becomes Corrin's retainer once reaching A-Rank, I like to headcanon that Silas gets jealous, and asks for the same position. The reason I head canon this is because I think it fits to have Corrin, who is a prince of Hoshido and Nohr, to have a retainer from each country.

Let's try and look at this logically first.

Flora, Felicia, Jakob, and Gunter are NOT retainers. Flora, Felicia, and Jakob are SERVANTS. Yes, they may also be Corrin's friends, but they still serve him and take care of all the menial things expected of a servant, such as laundry, cooking, and cleaning. It's their job to do those things. That they fight as well is likely because having maids and butlers who can serve as emergency soldiers is probably something Nohrian mentality decided made sense. It does.

Gunter may be argued to be one, but he's rather old to be a retainer for someone as young as Corrin. Additionally, if you look at his backstory revealed in Revelations, you'll see why he would probably have no desire whatsoever to actually be a retainer to any member of the royal family anyways.

Of all those previous mentioned, only Gunter actually COULD become Corrin's retainer. Unlikely considering his age, and his backstory from Revelations.

Sadly, Silas is nothing more then just an old friend of Corrin's. A very well trained old friend, whose been knighted. This of course means he could easily become Corrin's retainer if he was asked by Corrin to become so, or asked Corrin for the position.

In line with that, only Kaze, if you get him to A rank, is Corrin's retainer. Otherwise, Corrin doesn't have even a single retainer.

Now, that's just what logic tells me. I could very well be wrong, but I've seen nothing that proves to me otherwise.

My head canon however tells me mostly the same, up until we get to Silas. Since Kaze becomes Corrin's retainer once reaching A-Rank, I like to headcanon that Silas gets jealous, and asks for the same position. The reason I head canon this is because I think it fits to have Corrin, who is a prince of Hoshido and Nohr, to have a retainer from each country.

Overall, I agree, but historically, it's not unprecedented for older nobles to be retainers for younger royals of higher rank. The titles are often inherited, with the son taking over the role of retainer once the original died. Since people rarely lived into their 60s back then, the idea of retirement was almost unheard of. A child of the king would be behind only the king in rank, so they'd pretty much have to have retainers of all ages, since there's no one of higher rank for them to serve.