I Finished Dangan Ronpa 2

Yeah I found 2 infinitely better.

[spoiler=not really a spoiler but putting it in just in case]danganronpa's story in general though is really stupid. The characters are cool though

Sophie, part of it is that I either didn't care about or disliked a fair number of the characters. I felt a little better inclined towards DR'1s cast for the most part. I mean, both casts include stupid and annoying characters, but at the end of 2 I didn't really care much about the cast besides Hajime, nor did I find 'em entertaining. Even one of the characters I felt like I was supposed to really like (Chiaki) I didn't really care that much about. I mean, she's definitely a very good person, but I felt like there was something lacking.

Short commentary on character details:

In 1 even the most awful character (Toko) had another side I liked. Meanwhile, I now think of Nekomaru Nidai screaming the word shit every time I go to the bathroom.

I'm quite fond of Fuyuhiko, but that's about the only character that I like. With a few exceptions I honestly found the mysteries a lot weaker this time around, don't get me wrong the first game still had it's fair share of obvious mysteries N037, but this time around I felt like I knew everything that was gonna happen, and who killed who before the class trial even started, which wasn't the case in 1.

I'm quite fond of Fuyuhiko, but that's about the only character that I like. With a few exceptions I honestly found the mysteries a lot weaker this time around, don't get me wrong the first game still had it's fair share of obvious mysteries N037, but this time around I felt like I knew everything that was gonna happen, and who killed who before the class trial even started, which wasn't the case in 1.

Interesting, I felt the opposite about knowing the cases. I had figured out the culprits or what happened in every case in the first game, but the only obvious cases in the second game were the first and fifth imo.

About the whole games, I think that the primary character cast (as in, Makoto/Kyouko/Byakuya vs Hajime/Chiaki/Nagito) this time around was way better than last time. Hajime >>>> Makoto, Chiaki > Kyouko (although Chiaki wasn't that great either) and Nagito is the best character across both games' casts. Can't really diss Byakuya since he was the redeeming part of DR1's primary characters.

On the other hand, DR2's secondary characters were weaker. I only cared (as in, had an opinion about) for Fuyuhiko, Nekomaru, Akane and Twogami - as opposed to only not caring about Yasuhiro, Sayaka and Leon in the first game (and even tbf, the latter two died first so there wasn't much to see of them).

As mentioned in reply to the quote above, I think the mysteries this time around were a lot better constructed. They weren't obvious, and the final pieces of the puzzle wasn't BS like in a couple cases of the first game. Although, I am of course talking about the mysteries, of which cases 5 and 6 were not. This pretty much brings me to the main problem I have with DR2, which is just that the main story sucks in comparison to the first game. There's no atmosphere, it goes into "wtf is going on" territory and the fact that I spent case 6 pressing A for 5 hours without ANY mystery solving (because it's either obvious or you're spoonfed it during the "investigation") just made the endgame feel like it was meandering and full of text for the sake of it. Case 5 was very obvious, and whilst the Thanatos Gambit was nice and the only unexpected part, it doesn't really excuse how obvious the whole setup was.

I also want to just special mention case 3 for having such a great premise. And then totally falling flat once the second murder gets revealed. Seriously after that point the story/motive becomes downright meh and the mystery becomes boring. Thankfully the game picks up again with case 4, but damn that was kinda a low point.

The first game felt lonely, like you were up against a terrifying foe. Case 5 had me on the edge of my seat. Case 6 was tough and figuring out the answer felt great, and then you win in the end but with a big question mark over what exactly you won. The second game is none of this, pretty much the moment Nagito dies the quality of the game drastically lowers. So despite the fact the mysteries and gameplay of DR2 are better, I think that DR1 is better. Does anyone else feel the same?

So late.

I never finished 2 because I kept getting stuck on that chapter you liked, but I watched a LP. But yeah, I feel the same about you in regards to the characters. I don't think a lot of people would though. They tend to like 2 better but eh.

So despite the fact the mysteries and gameplay of DR2 are better, I think that DR1 is better. Does anyone else feel the same?

Honestly, I'm not sure whether I like DR 1 or 2's gameplay better. For one thing, during PTA's in 2, I often found the timing to be weird. I'm sure I was pressing at the right time, but it'd still miss. Then if I just mashed the mouse button down I'd get combos and it wouldn't take off my combo for all the misfires. Seems like it doesn't care if you click when you aren't supposed to as long as you click when you are supposed to. DR1's equivalent of PTA (was it called something different?), you had to right click and then left click, I think, and I think you actually messed up if you clicked at the wrong time?

And I felt like hangman's gambit in DR2 took longer, sometimes you'd be waiting 30 seconds for the right letters to show up, or two letters would show up right next to each other and blow up as soon as they came on screen (this happened sometimes in the last few ones).

The sword game was usually funny though. One in case 4 is really great.

I liked white noise comments in DR2 better, but maybe I wasn't paying as much attention to DR1's white noise.

Oh, quick questions since I'm now playing DR1 school mode...if anyone knows, please answer:

-Do trip tickets carry over between playthroughs?

-I understand to get some sort of ending to school mode, I must finish all monokuma backups, but do I also need to get all those backups to unlock character endings?

Oh, quick questions since I'm now playing DR1 school mode...if anyone knows, please answer:

-Do trip tickets carry over between playthroughs?

-I understand to get some sort of ending to school mode, I must finish all monokuma backups, but do I also need to get all those backups to unlock character endings?

don't remember about the first one but yeah you need to get the true ending to school mode to get a character ending

i think you can get more than one character in a single playthrough at least

i wouldn't personally bother getting all character endings, it'll just be a rather boring grind

Honestly, I'm not sure whether I like DR 1 or 2's gameplay better. For one thing, during PTA's in 2, I often found the timing to be weird. I'm sure I was pressing at the right time, but it'd still miss. Then if I just mashed the mouse button down I'd get combos and it wouldn't take off my combo for all the misfires. Seems like it doesn't care if you click when you aren't supposed to as long as you click when you are supposed to. DR1's equivalent of PTA (was it called something different?), you had to right click and then left click, I think, and I think you actually messed up if you clicked at the wrong time?

And I felt like hangman's gambit in DR2 took longer, sometimes you'd be waiting 30 seconds for the right letters to show up, or two letters would show up right next to each other and blow up as soon as they came on screen (this happened sometimes in the last few ones).

The sword game was usually funny though. One in case 4 is really great.

I liked white noise comments in DR2 better, but maybe I wasn't paying as much attention to DR1's white noise.

Yeah I actually felt the same about the PTA. I just fever timed through all of them because it simply didn't work properly. But the Hangman's Gambit was actually fun and tense (DR1's version was a waste of time), sword game was fun, logic dive could have been harder but it's better than having Kyouko spoonfeed it; and then the manga game was a lot less about guessing wth the clues meant and more about filling in the gaps. I'd rather the manga game was gone entirely but it wasn't too bad this time around.

I think I preferred the nonstop debates in DR1 for being a little harder on time limits, but I can't remember. The "confirm truth" was neat but wish they used it more. They also didn't use weak point lock on much in DR2, compared to DR1, I don't really have an opinion on whether it was a good thing or not. But more diversity doesn't hurt.