Johan vs. Johalvier

Katie

Battle of the Axe Bros  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which Axe user do you pick

• Johan
    • Johalvier

Johan is, gameplaywise, the better choice bc horse emblem

but he's also not a character I like and he's not that great as a unit even on a horse anyway(axes suck in fe4), I'd rather just have Johalva sit on my bench and let Seliph/Ares/Leif whack everything into oblivion

Edited by Thor Odinson

Johalva has an easier time clearing the Arena when he gets to use the Killer Bow, and let's face it, Johan isn't going to be in your top 3 or 4 horses that get danced so he'll be just about as left behind as the footies, especially when rescue staff is in play. I'd say Johalva is better if you're ranking. If you're not, go with your gut, they're both decent-ish.

I'm pretty sure you can get either spell with either brother, it'd just be more roundabout to take over their castle. My memory is admittedly a little foggy on that one.

I'm pretty sure you can get either spell with either brother, it'd just be more roundabout to take over their castle. My memory is admittedly a little foggy on that one.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right, but since I use neither I just go with the one that makes it easier to get Resire

Edited by Nobody

In my mind it really doesn't matter, all either one of them is much good for is gumming dark mages with the hero axe in Chapter 7, and a horse doesn't matter there. I prefer Johan because he's funnier.

I guess if you somehow got crit on the Hero Axe in gen 1 they wouldn't be terrible but they both have pretty bad stats anyway. In a subs run, Johalva might actually be your best non-Leaf Bow user... which is something I guess.

Edited by General Horace

I pick Johan because:

1. I kill Johalvier for the Elite Ring. I keep on forgetting to pass it down...

2. Johan because I like his design better (that's not saying much) and he's a pretty amusing character.

Both aren't that great though. Not too much of a loss because the most of the second generation are pretty solid.

Johalvier is good with the axes and bows that matter. Sure, he doesn't have a holy weapon and he's infantry, but there's no deployment limits. The world needs ditch-diggers too, and your army needs guys who can help take a few hits and do a few murders. Given Hero Axe/Killer Bow, Johalvier does those things.

Is Johalvier the translation from the new, better patch or from FE13? Or, like ... both?

Johalvier is good with the axes and bows that matter. Sure, he doesn't have a holy weapon and he's infantry, but there's no deployment limits. The world needs ditch-diggers too, and your army needs guys who can help take a few hits and do a few murders. Given Hero Axe/Killer Bow, Johalvier does those things.

Is Johalvier the translation from the new, better patch or from FE13? Or, like ... both?

It's what's used in the new patch, yes, but the patch is far from the first thing to call him that.

Leaf definately wants a better weapon than the Hero Axe.

He's got enough access to use pretty much anything. I'd agree, I'd much rather stick him with one the Silver Swords. It's not like anyone else particularly useful has access to the Hero Axe though.

Leaf definately wants a better weapon than the Hero Axe.

This is also true, as is what Shin said. Axes aren't very good in FE4.

Edited by Matthewtheman

He has pursuit and continue so he'll just multihit until things are dead.

True, but he could also do that with the Brave sword or lance, which are lighter.

Honestly, I always pick Johalvier just because I like his animations a lot more. If I'm not going to actually use either of them, I might as well at least get the satisfaction of watching one of them waddle across the arena a few times a chapter.

Johalva. It's easier for him in the arena and is useful if you have a bad bow user, Lester at times. Also it's the easiest way to get resire.

Johan is cool, but I wanted Johalva because he's the only one who can become a warrior.

True, but he could also do that with the Brave sword or lance, which are lighter.

Brave weapons deactivate continue in this game, because the developers coded the brave effect as continue with a 100% activation rate, and continue can only activate once.

I should also note that units with bows equiped encounter different enemies in the arena than units without bows equipped, so johalva, hannibal, lachesis, arden, and lief can cheese their way past some arena enemies by equipping a bow and fighting someone easier instead (although this never works for magic enemies, who tend to be the same.)

>getting far enough with arden to get him to use bows

I actually considered not including him on the list for that reason (heck knows i haven't been able to promote him in any playthroughs), but i decided to include him for completion.

Edited by sirmola

Yeah, Arden's really hard to train to promotion, even if you actually like and use him like me. Some runs I just straight up make him pre-promoted, even on runs where I don't hax all the first gen units to be promoted with capped stats so I can get to gen 2 faster, simply because he's really hard to train to level 20.

• 2 weeks later...