Zelda OoT Fire Temple Controversy

Alex95

If you have a grey copy of Version 1.0 on N64, that is actually quite rare. Most 1.0 versions of the game are gold, around half the 1.1 versions are gold, and very few N64 1.2 versions, which is the first version to remove the chanting and censor the blood I believe, are gold.

Out of curiosity, I dug my copy as well and lo and behold, it's a grey 1.0.

I know it's the 1.0 version because of the chanting.

I actually have something rare!

Out of curiosity, I dug my copy as well and lo and behold, it's a grey 1.0.

I know it's the 1.0 version because of the chanting.

I actually have something rare!

1.1 has the chanting, so you have a 1.1 most likely

only 1.2 has removed symbols and chanting

edit: just so everyone knows 1.1 only had bug fixes, and thats it

Edited by animeapple

For reference, heres how you can check what version your cart is: OoT Cart Guide

Looking at just the code on the front of the cart alone, it seems I do have a 1.0 cartridge. However, it says it could be wrong, so I'll try out the "Fishing with Hover Boots" and the Shooting Minigame things later to actually confirm it.

1.1 has the chanting, so you have a 1.1 most likely

only 1.2 has removed symbols and chanting

edit: just so everyone knows 1.1 only had bug fixes, and thats it

A looked at and it's still 1.0.

Cause I remember playing with my friends once, and the hover bug in fishing pond happened.

But the other bugs didn't happen, oddly enough.

Can confirm. Used the Hover Boots to go fly fishing, but it gets better. I ended up accidentally leaving the Fishing Hole with the rod in my hands (which I know is not a new glitch), but the rod turned out to be invisible once I pulled it out. I decided to cast the rod and... Link's just gonna stare at the water for eternity. The game softlocked and I couldn't move. But at least I know for certain that it's a 1.0 cart!

I also learned that you can't use the rod unless you have a sword, which is... strange. I ended up saving during the portion in the Ganon fight where the Master Sword gets knocked out of my hand and I continued from there. I found the Sword back in my inventory screen, but I couldn't use the rod until I equipped it.

Also still, Link's model still has the Master Sword even when it's not equipped. Bit of a programming oversight there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwGVb8Ivb9E

This is the original Fire Temple music, which contains a sample of Islamic chanting taken from an open sound library.

However, Nintendo has a “no real-life religious references” policy, so when they found out they changed it for all future copies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5hpbYg22yA

This is the changed version that is currently used.

However, the "controversy" is little more than an urban legend, as Nintendo changed the music before the release date.

The only reason some copies have the original music is because they were already manufactured and it would've been expensive to replace them.

Why are you playing the original and not Ocarina of Time 3D?

Man now I actually wish I kept my OG OOT cart from back in the day. I got it from Blockbuster and it had none of the alterations.

Edited by LordTaco42

Man you actually made me drag out my cart. Its actually version 1.1, but it must have been among the first of those produced (due to me getting mine within a month or so of release). Though i could have sworn i did Swordless Link once. Unless it was another glitch i did...it was so long ago.

There are ways to perform swordless link in every version of OOT,including the 3DS Remake. The only distinction in version 1.0 is that it provides the easiest way to do it, by merely saving and quitting during the battle with Ganon after he knocks the sword out of your hand.

I have a 1.1, but it has a different color back (not gold, a different shade of gray). It's legit, but the different color back was odd.

That could just be a result of the gradual yellowing and browning of old Nintendo Cartridges from back in the day.

Edited by Lantairu

There are ways to perform swordless link in every version of OOT,including the 3DS Remake. The only distinction in version 1.0 is that it provides the easiest way to do it, by merely saving and quitting during the battle with Ganon after he knocks the sword out of your hand.

I ended up saving during the portion in the Ganon fight where the Master Sword gets knocked out of my hand and I continued from there.

I love when I can just do glitches unintentionally. Perhaps I should try this again and really experiment with it.

I love when I can just do glitches unintentionally. Perhaps I should try this again and really experiment with it.

Oh yeah, it's a ton of fun to mess around with. For instance, swordless link allows you to use C button items on epona, so there are tons of fun things to do with that. For instance, I believe if you use either the hookshot or deku nuts while on epona, you can go into first person and walk around.