More Unpopular Fire Emblem Opinions

Rezzy

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough, it is easy to remember when you look at it, but the interface in past games wasn't very intuitive.

Why should AS modifiers need to be "overcome"? The Fates weapon system is set up to keep all weapons useful in some capacity (they try at least). Steel weapons aren't supposed to replace Iron weapons, they are to give a damage boost to characters fast enough to ignore the AS penalty. In some games, the limiting stats were Strength + Speed. In Fates it's just Speed.

Yeah, luckily the new 3DS games have improved interface so it would be fine.

I wasn't really clear on this: they shouldn't be. What I meant is that both methods of influencing AS should be implemented side by side. The Fates' method on it's own without the old formula doesn't feel complete. It's like IS tried to do the same thing it did with constitution only without the constitution, at least with steel weapons.

In short, I'd like it if they maintained many aspects of the new system while bringing back the old AS formula.

Alright, I guess I can scrounge up a few...

- Nino's scene with Jaffar and Zephiel - not Ninian's, after Eliwood acquires Durandal - is the saddest / most touching in FE7 (and the series).

- I like Peri's, Effie's, and Felicia's voices. And most of the English voice cast. And (most aspects of) Fates' localization.

- I like stealth chapters, like the Prison Escape in Path of Radiance. There should be more incentive for avoiding unnecessary fighting IMO.

- The laguz were conceptually cool, but mind-numbingly boring in practice. Each one should have had multiple attack options (i.e. Fang vs. Claw, Beak vs. Talon) at the very least.

- Anna is the most emblematic (see what I did there) character of the series, and belongs in Smash over Robin.

- Games featuring dancers should make multiple ones available (I want my dancing Inigo dangit), even simultaneously. It wouldn't be OP if they just prevented Dancers from dancing for other Dancers.

- Chrom is foolish in invading Valm. Cherche and Henry being in the breeding pool makes no sense. That whole stretch of the game is an enjoyable-but-ultimately-futile distraction, and I blame Virion.

- The FreeLC Awakening paralogues are not Canon.

I'm sure I have more, but I'm tired. This has been fun though.

Alright, I guess I can scrounge up a few...

- Nino's scene with Jaffar and Zephiel - not Ninian's, after Eliwood acquires Durandal - is the saddest / most touching in FE7 (and the series).

- I like Peri's, Effie's, and Felicia's voices. And most of the English voice cast. And (most aspects of) Fates' localization.

- I like stealth chapters, like the Prison Escape in Path of Radiance. There should be more incentive for avoiding unnecessary fighting IMO.

- The laguz were conceptually cool, but mind-numbingly boring in practice. Each one should have had multiple attack options (i.e. Fang vs. Claw, Beak vs. Talon) at the very least.

- Anna is the most emblematic (see what I did there) character of the series, and belongs in Smash over Robin.

- Games featuring dancers should make multiple ones available (I want my dancing Inigo dangit), even simultaneously. It wouldn't be OP if they just prevented Dancers from dancing for other Dancers.

- Chrom is foolish in invading Valm. Cherche and Henry being in the breeding pool makes no sense. That whole stretch of the game is an enjoyable-but-ultimately-futile distraction, and I blame Virion.

- The FreeLC Awakening paralogues are not Canon.

I'm sure I have more, but I'm tired. This has been fun though.

I agree with all of those. I cried during the Nino arc, and she's one of my favorite characters. I always try to use her, even if she's hard to raise.

I agree with all of those. I cried during the Nino arc, and she's one of my favorite characters. I always try to use her, even if she's hard to raise.

Hahah, thank you! But... perhaps that means none of these were as controversial as I thought. :sweatdrop:

My reactions, playing the lead-up to 'Battle Before Dawn': "What? I haven't been crying... someone just left this bowl of onions here! That's all! ...Okay, so I was crying, but it was just because of how hard this chapter is gonna be!"

And, thank you for making this topic! It's made me think a lot, and I appreciate an environment where out-of-the-ordinary opinions can be expressed without immediately turning into an uphill battle.

Why not

-FE5 had some of the best gameplay mechanics in the whole series

-Dragon Veins (in most chapters) are a futile way to make up for the lack of good map design

-The VA for Japanese Fates was worse than the American VA

-I think the personalities of the GBA characters are better than the personalities of most characters from Fates and Awakening

-I actually like most of the armor designs in Nohr

-Revelation is actually really fun, if only for the characters

-Binding Blade (and the other GBA games) is really fun and one of the best in the series

-FE1 and 3 are wayyy better than FE11 and 12

I don't know how controversial these are, just thought I'd put my opinion

I think the personalities of the GBA characters are better than the personalities of most characters from Fates and Awakening

Not a unpopular opinion. One of FE7's most common praises among critics is its surprisingly deep character writing for its genre.

Granted, at the time of its release, it was compared to the likes of Advance Wars...

Not a unpopular opinion. One of FE7's most common praises among critics is its surprisingly deep character writing for its genre.

Granted, at the time of its release, it was compared to the likes of Advance Wars...

Really? Maybe I've been talking to the wrong people, but quite a few people I've talked to seem to think the GBA characters are boring. Or at the very least, feel like Awakening and Fates went much more in depth with characterization. Good to know that I'm not alone, though.

Ever since games started letting you purchase weapons in between chapters, weapon durability went from being a major consideration in planning to a minor inconvenience. Therefore, its removal in Fates was justified

Edited by Chad Thundercock

Two additional ones:

1. Caeda should be in Smash. (She was made into a Nendoroid, and is one of the main FE characters in Tokyo Mirage Sessions, so why not this?)

2. Weight vs Attack Speed could have been worked better.

Why not: Attack Speed = Speed - (Weight - (Carrying capacity modifier)), with the hand-carry capacity modifier being:

• (Constitution + Strength)/2
  • either Constitution or Strength, whichever the larger, or even,
  • Constitution + Strength/2 (or even Strength/3, if the un-slowed Attack Speed makes a unit overpowered)

Substitute STR for MAG for tomes.

Edited by henrymidfields

Another unpopular opinion: I like Birthight better than conquest. I don't like conquest very much

Your deluding yourself if you think Conquest is more popular than Birthright. Birthright sold marginally better than Conquest, and a lot of casual gamers enjoy Birthright. Now, I will say that your opinion applies to SF, but only here, except for maybe GameFaqs.

Seize the throne is the best objective

The games with no supports or very limited supports are better than the ones with supports

The only people that are bothered by FE11's gaiden requirements never played 1/3, because none of the characters were in the originals and so who cares about missing them or the experience that was never there.

Edited by ChibiToastExplosion

I'm honestly partial to rout over "seize the throne" and thing the latter is a pretty... needless goal. I think that if an entire game was only "rout the enemy" it has a pretty solid shot at still having some good variety and complexity to it. I also think "defeat the boss" is kind of needless. Stuff like "escape" or "defend" are alright though.

Another one I guess, I feel like fog of war is intrinsically a bad mechanic for a strategy-centered game that's particularly at its worst in Thracia.

I don't think removing weapon durability is a bad thing, since unlike in Gaiden they actually did it to make weapons more interesting as opposed to aggressively simplifying things.

This...this is not an opinion.

Perhaps not, but it does contextualize the rest of the statement, which is that I think the gaiden chapters are so pointless that there is absolutely no reason for them and thus no reason to pan the game so hard because of them.

I like seize the throne best, because it can contain all of the objectives if there is good map design. Have a rush of enemies for x turn, there is your defense chapter, and then attack. If you need to escape, still conquer the throne (imagine the reinforcements when capturing ostia, but to a much greater degree). I hate objectives that shorten a chapter - seize the throne lets you play a chapter as quickly, or as long as you like.

Xander and Corrin's relationship was the only shining diamond in the fates story. Although i agree conquest had the better plot of the 3

I don't like corrin x azura. I feel like their relationship is special but I can't see them as a couple..

I wish they didn't reuse character designs from awakening to fates it made me less interested in them (or at least I wish they had given them an entirely different personality..)

Chrom x Sumia is such a boring ship (not sure if this is unpopular but.. yeah)

Not sure if this one is unpopular either but I love Camus archtypes

I liked shadow dragon.

Edited by kisaragi

Perhaps not, but it does contextualize the rest of the statement, which is that I think the gaiden chapters are so pointless that there is absolutely no reason for them and thus no reason to pan the game so hard because of them.

Regardless of whether they were there in FE1/3, they're still maps. Just new. I don't want to have to go against the point of the game and all to unlock content. It's a stupid idea, especially since there are gaiden requirements in past games that encourage you to fight well rather than encourage you to fight poorly.

If IS was faithfully remaking FE1, we wouldn't have a weapon triangle or weapon levels.

Not trying to be rude or anything, I just don't really follow the logic.

-Implied ships in the story are terrible. Ninian x Eliwood literally came out of nowhere in FE7's story. Nino x Jaffar should not be romantic relationship. Roy x Lilina is boring and cliched. Sumia x Chrom, do I even need to explain? The only I really like was Seth x Eirika because it wasn't pushed as hard and only becomes relative during her supports.
-Isadora wasn't really bad as a unit.
-Fiora x Eliwood > Ninian x Eliwood.
-Nils is better as a character and design than Ninian.
-That last minute revival of Ninian was the breaking point of the game's story.
-Lyn's Tale wasn't that bad of a tutorial, but was still lengthy.

-Eirika was a better character than Ephiram because her best trait isn't "I Rek shit cause I'm Ephiram".

-Devil Axe was a good risk/reward weapon.

-Grinding is something that shouldn't be removed, but should limited.

-Children/Marriage doesn't mess with the gameplay and should just be reworked.

-Weapon weight was a good mechanic.

-Weapon durability being removed was good.

-Eirika has the best design of all of the female lords.

-Ike is overrated.

-Chrom is the worst lord in the series.

-Roy isn't bad, but is personalty is cliche.

-Sorcerers weren't super broken in FE13 as people said.

-FE13 has some good characters that got overlooked by others.

-The FE13 trio in FE14 are better than their old counterparts.

-Ninjas are overrated.

-There was no breaking point in the series.

-The GBA sprites was the best in terms of battle.

-The 3DS animations are better than the console animations.

-Most of the GBA designs looked very copy pasted when not counting official art.

-Xander<Ryoma.

-Kana isn't a bad unit/character.

-The localization of Fates wasn't bad.

-There was no true golden age of FE. It was always a good series that had it's perks and the gripes that people see in the recent games are blown way out of proportion.

*hides behind flame shield*

-Implied ships in the story are terrible. Ninian x Eliwood literally came out of nowhere in FE7's story. Nino x Jaffar should not be romantic relationship. Roy x Lilina is boring and cliched. Sumia x Chrom, do I even need to explain? The only I really like was Seth x Eirika because it wasn't pushed as hard and only becomes relative during her supports.

-Isadora wasn't really bad as a unit.

-Fiora x Eliwood > Ninian x Eliwood.

-Nils is better as a character and design than Ninian.

-That last minute revival of Ninian was the breaking point of the game's story.

-Lyn's Tale wasn't that bad of a tutorial, but was still lengthy.

-Eirika was a better character than Ephiram because her best trait isn't "I Rek shit cause I'm Ephiram".

-Devil Axe was a good risk/reward weapon.

-Grinding is something that shouldn't be removed, but should limited.

-Children/Marriage doesn't mess with the gameplay and should just be reworked.

-Weapon durability being removed was goo

-Ike is overrated

-Roy isn't bad, but is personalty is cliche.

-Sorcerers weren't super broken in FE13 as people said.

-FE13 has some good characters that got overlooked by others.

-The FE13 trio in FE14 are better than their old counterparts.

-Ninjas are overrated.

-There was no breaking point in the series.

-The GBA sprites was the best in terms of battle.

-The 3DS animations are better than the console animations.

-Most of the GBA designs looked very copy pasted when not counting official art.

-Kana isn't a bad unit/character.

-The localization of Fates wasn't bad.

-There was no true golden age of FE. It was always a good series that had it's perks and the gripes that people see in the recent games are blown way out of proportion.

*hides behind flame shield*

Agree with all of these.

I personally think shadow dragon was not that bad. Sure, the reclass system was pretty broken, and of course the game lacked support conversations but come on. The music and artwork was absolutely amazing! Also the the game had a MASSIVE verity of harder difficulties than normal mode. So you can't necessarily complain about the game being easy. But that is just my opinion. :smug:

I personally think shadow dragon was not that bad. Sure, the reclass system was pretty broken, and of course the game lacked support conversations but come on. The music and artwork was absolutely amazing! Also the the game had a MASSIVE verity of harder difficulties than normal mode. So you can't necessarily complain about the game being easy. But that is just my opinion. :smug:

I don't think Shadow Dragon is bad, I just think FE3 Book 1 is a better alternative.