More Unpopular Fire Emblem Opinions

Rezzy

I don't know how many of these are unpopular but....

-I don't care for Revelations story or place in the Fates trilogy. I only play it for the sake of having all playable characters.

-FE8 was the best GBA game.

-Ike ruined RD

-Past Part 2 of RD, the story goes downhill

-Miccy should ave been explored more as a character and not as a vessel for Yune.

-The Archanea saga of games had the best story out of all the games minus a few parts.

-Fates had the best implementation of kids since they weren't story based and did not overshadow 1st gen units.

-I like the direction the series is going.

-While I love Niles, same-sex options in Fates are meh and if there are other LGBT characters in future games, they should be improved.

-FE 11 and 12 were not that bad but could have been better.

-While I am a casual player, Conquest was better then Birthright.

-Grinding is okay and I think it should stay.

-My Castle should go and the Base from Tellius should return.

-Shuriken/Daggers should be nerved, they are too broken.

-Dismounting was good and should return (But I don't think Fatigue should and Capture is meh).

-Pair-up should be nerved more and have some cons and not just complete pros (Example guard stance should decrease stats, not increase them, but is weighed off by the fact their supporter can defend them occasionally).

-Less support options for characters.

-I dislike reclass and branching promotions and I feel like linear promotions should return (And potentially 3rd tier classes).

-I adore the Str/Mag split.

-Magic should be split up into Anima (Or Fire, Thunder, Wind), Light and Dark (The Magic triangle should return too).

-I like the current weapon system (Minus the Shuriken/Daggers being broken af), and I think it should stay, even if they bring back durability.

And I think that is it.

Edited by Azz

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unpopular opinion: Birthright is better than conquest in my opinion. I like the characters, and the story more. Conquest's story is just stupid to me. The first half is litterally: ''Im following orders from some crazy freak and I don't mind''

I wish corrin became a little evil actually, Even a little would do

I can understand people not liking Chrom, but I really can't agree with him being the worst in the series when Gaiden didn't do a whole lot for its lords and the GBA games, as good as Sacred Stones was, was REALLY bad about handling lords in general. There were two (arguably) good lords between three games that had six lords between them.

I also don't get why people think Ike ruined Radiant Dawn, when I really feel like the fault is on how Micaiah was handled. If they just did more with Micaiah and made use of the new protagonist they made for this game, they wouldn't have had to push Ike so much.

I also don't get why people think Ike ruined Radiant Dawn, when I really feel like the fault is on how Micaiah was handled. If they just did more with Micaiah and made use of the new protagonist they made for this game, they wouldn't have had to push Ike so much.

This so much. Micaiah's party did not get enough screen/fighting time and it was Yune who shoved her out of the picture, not Ike. The DB are always way behind Ike's group when I play, and even well behind the Crimean knights. It's so hard to train them up, even when you only focus on a few of them.

Ike gets so much unnecessary criticism for this when the story could've still been great with both him AND MIcaiah as the main protags. Ike doesn't need to be taken out completely. And how would that even make sense when this is a sequel to PoR taking place three years later? I just can't see any good reason for Ike to not have a significant role after he kinda just became Crimea's greatest hero.

But people will think what they will, we can't control it... We can only defend everybody's favorite blue-haired mercenary commander as best as we can. <3

Edited by Anacybele

-The FE13 trio in FE14 are better than their old counterparts.

Since when was this an opinion lmao.

Some more unpopular opinions.

While i dont really give a shit about how/why people play their games, i get really annoyed when people talk solely of shipping when it comes to FE.

Hinoka is actually a very very bland (and selfish) character.

Grinding has always been a part of FE for over half the series, it was just hidden better. (oh hai, arenas!) And people really need to suck it up and realize that.

Casual mode is awesome.

Ninjas are a bit too squishy for my playstyle.

Even in games where im ok with the story (like Tellius), i still push start and skip that shit after awhile.

Its to the point where i can love games with bad stories but fun gameplay. Because pushing start fucking rules.

Tellius has the best world building in the series. And more FEs need to world build like that.

Micaiah isnt the reason Radiant Dawn has narrative issues.

Micaiah is not a Mary Sue (thats Corn).

I like Ninian.

I really rather pick Bartre than Echidna, mostly because i just love Bartre that much. (Echidna is gr9 but...Bartre)

Oh yeah, im a pretty big Bartre fan. (i may have mentioned that one before)

I really think IS needs to not be so afraid to write much darker stories for FE.

I prefer the politicking plots way more than the Destroy The Big Bad Dragon/God Thing. In fact, im really tired of that plot and i want to see more full FE games about politicking. Does every game have to be a Greater Threat? How come consequences cant be the reason shit happens and people go to war? A full length game about something like RD's Part 2 would be bomb af, come on.

I wish corrin became a little evil actually, Even a little would do.

I'm in the middle of publishing my Fates Conquest Blogs over at Bulbagarden Forums, and I'm actually imagining Corrin/Avatar/myself as Walhart! Actually, a slightly evil (or even just somewhat sadistic) lord would be interesting.

Edited by henrymidfields

-Pair-up should be nerved more and have some cons and not just complete pros (Example guard stance should decrease stats, not increase them, but is weighed off by the fact their supporter can defend them occasionally).

Complete pros? You lose access to a unit when you use guard stance. Making your remaining unit WEAKER would make the mechanic almost pointless.

Fates making it impossible to save before the final chapter and the Epilogue is unforgivably regressive and whoever had the idea should be fired.

Probably not an unpopular opinion but I had to vent and idk how strongly people actually feel about it

Being unable to save before Epilogue was needless in Awakening aswell but at least its Endgame is short so I didn't care

Fates making it impossible to save before the final chapter and the Epilogue is unforgivably regressive and whoever had the idea should be fired.

Probably not an unpopular opinion but I had to vent and idk how strongly people actually feel about it

Being unable to save before Epilogue was needless in Awakening aswell but at least its Endgame is short so I didn't care

They did that?! Wow, that's really annoying and bizarre, I had no idea.

Archers are horrible.

They can't seem to do much other than shooting arrows, can't hit with 1-2 range unlike mages and just can't seem to have decent defense and resistance.

My other unpopular opinion is I hate how slow generals move in combat. Sure, the armor is heavy but seriously, just get on with it!

I just played through Birthright until now but I heard it's the same for the other paths

I just soloed C27 with Ryoma over and over (it's quicker than using a full team) until I got through Final, it's horrible

They did that?! Wow, that's really annoying and bizarre, I had no idea.

Think of it like the GBA-era endgames (Idoun, Fire Dragon, Demon King). Except all the GBA ones can be easily one-turned, while the Fates' ones. . .depends heavily on the route.

Some unpopular opinions:

I despise Conquest's story and think it's the single worst thing FE has put out

I actually started disliking all of the Nohr siblings more after playing Conquest

Eliwood is the best written of the lords in FE7

Mist is the best little sister character in Fire Emblem

The avatar system is slowly killing FE as we know it

Some unpopular opinions:

I despise Conquest's story and think it's the single worst thing FE has put out

Is this really unpopular? I've seen way too much bitching about Conquest's plot for me to see this as unpopular.

Hell, I've seen so many people complaining about Nohr's story that I put that I liked it as one my unpopular opinions.

Awakening has one of the best soundtracks in the series; Radiant dawn, one of the worst

Shadow Dragon is great and better than New Mystery

Edited by Nobody

I find it hard to even acknowledge calling Conquest's plot "the worst" as an opinion as much as just plain bitterness when Gaiden and the Elibe titles exist. Those games were built on an entire foundation of horrible decisions.

Is this really unpopular? I've seen way too much bitching about Conquest's plot for me to see this as unpopular.

Hell, I've seen so many people complaining about Nohr's story that I put that I liked it as one my unpopular opinions.

Sure, but how many of them actively think that it's the worst thing that FE has ever put out?

I find it hard to even acknowledge calling Conquest's plot "the worst" as an opinion as much as just plain bitterness when Gaiden and the Elibe titles exist. Those games were built on an entire foundation of horrible decisions.

Never played Gaiden and don't believe Elibe is the worst. FE6 and FE7 didn't have a main character that made me want to punch them in the face for being a stupid ass self-absorbed nitwit that the game wants me to believe is in the right and did nothing wrong.

Edited by Sunwoo

Look I haven't played Gaiden but it's a Flippin NES game I don't know what more you expect out of it...

Also I understand that some people have problems with FE 7 (which I don't agree with but whatever..), what I don't understand is what possible problem you have with FE 6, it doesn't have any weird plot points to get upset over. I understand if you think it's boring, which case I cannot understand why you would like (or at least be okay with) birthright the most boring story on earth. Though frankly my opinion FE 6 & 7 are up there in terms of writing with FE 9 & 4.

And dude don't call him bitter he is as entitled to his anger towards the story as you are.

Edited by Locke087

I'm actually one of those who thinks FE7's plot is pretty bad and I rank it lower than anything in Fates. At least the characters that die in Fates stay dead at the end of the game, but Ninian getting Dragon Ball'd at the end of FE7 is single-handedly the most offensive and player-insulting moment in the entire series.

FE4's writing is not that fantastic either. I love Gen 1, but Gen 2 is really dull for the most part and at the end it basically becomes Austin Powers. FE4 Gen 2 should be called Fire Emblem: The Lord Who Shagged Me.

Edited by Jave

I'm actually one of those who thinks FE7's plot is pretty bad and I rank it lower than anything in Fates. At least the characters that die in Fates stay dead at the end of the game, but Ninian getting Dragon Ball'd at the end of FE7 is single-handedly the most offensive and player-insulting moment in the entire series.

FE4's writing is not that fantastic either. I love Gen 1, but Gen 2 is really dull for the most part and at the end it basically becomes Austin Powers. FE4 Gen 2 should be called Fire Emblem: The Lord Who Shagged Me.

You know I had this nice little write up for you, but my browser crashed (really have to start typing in notes more I can't tell you how many times this has happens to me)... so I'm giving you the super tldr version of this post.

First Awakening resurrected every single plot important character though time travel bullcrap. So sorry if I find a singular resurrection in a plot where resurrection is well-established as possible, as several magnitudes less bad than that. Oh and not one playable character stays dead in Fates either they all "retire" even Scarlet. It's not like FE 7 does not already high body count, only one person comes fully back to life, and unless you do the incredibly cruel thing and marry Ninian to Eliwood ,she and Nils will go back though Dragon gate and never be seen again anyways.

I never said fire emblem 4 was the pinnacle of writing I said it was on par the stories mentioned. Also I love Gen 2, but it should be noted that all fire emblems have absolutely horrible endings. IS has no idea how to end stories, so I have a hard time faulting Gen 2 for that. Though I will admit that it would be flippin incredible if fire emblem 4 just ended at Gen 1, I would respect it just for the balls of ending like that.

Edited by Locke087

Oh and not one playable character stays dead in Fates either they all "retire" even Scarlet.

Actually, they do all die, if you play classic.

It's the fathers and some plot-important characters that stay alive.

Have you seen their death quotes? They are cleary dying.

Hana says how she's joining her father, Selena says she won't be able see everyone again, Izana says how he predicted his own death, Hisame says how he had a short life and so on.

They are dying. Where did you the idea that not a single unit stays dead?

Edited by Water Mage

Hana says how she's joining her father, Selena says she won't be able see everyone again, Izana says how he predicted his own death, Hisame says how he had a short life and so on.

Most of the units that father children don't really die, neither do any of the royals due to be needed in cut scenes. For example, Hayato can't die, since if Kaden has Selke, Hayato needs to be alive since he appears in the cut scene before Selkie's chapter.

Would it be an unpopular opinion that I really don't get the amount of criticism the story of 7 gets? Its a competent escalation of events from fighting bandits to corrupt nobles, an assassin guild all the way to the evil sorcerer pulling the strings. That and the smaller, more personal scale does make it stand out among the other stories.

The world building is definitely up to snuff thanks to the focus on only three countries. As a result all three are reasonably fleshed out.

You can blame the localization for it but during the roll though characters endings it will say that they retired and not died, even Scarlet which had a clear death in the game. I know it's a small thing but it bothers the heck out of me.