Chapter 19: Temple of the Manaketes

Terrus was kind enough to provide enough hint as to her location to allow Roy to correctly deduce it. Terrus and her Charmer were located in the Dragon’s Temple, home of Jahn, a manakete with a serious grudge against humanity and a desire to see the dragons rise again.

Elena wastes no time in riding for the Dragon’s Temple, company in tow. Terrus mentioned summoning Essence, and Pyres gaining Essence was the one thing Elena wanted to avoid above all else. Tellius’s fate rested upon how well the following manoeuvres were performed.

Hector looked at Lyn, chatting happily with Elena at the head of the pack. Despite what she thought, Hector only wanted what was best for her. He was ignorant as to how to make it up to her. He thought back to when she liked him. It was shortly after they fought Zephiel… Lyn’s charge into danger to save Zephiel… and it ended with her in pieces, with him for comfort…

“Lyn!” Hector blurted out. Everyone turned to him in shock. Lyn ignored him.

“Lyn… I… I really want to apologise… I know I screwed up. Bad. But Lyn, please… remember that night, after we saved Zephiel…” Hector said. Lyn stopped moving.

“Lyn… please… I like Florina. I want what’s best for her. And I admit… I’m not exactly what’s best for her. Lyn… do you really want to be ruled by hatred… again?” Hector asked. Lyn took in a deep breath.

“…Hector…” Lyn said.

“First time she said your name since that night,” Florina said.

“I knew there was a reason Lilina happened… all right. Hector, I’m trusting you again. But you’ve still got to earn it. And if you blow this chance… I can’t guarantee your head will still be on,” Lyn said.

“Oh, trust me… I accept that chance,” Hector said. He held out a small scroll. Lyn took it, and began studying it as the march resumed. She let out a curious noise.

“Elena!” another male voice called out. Elena turned, and saw Kalen attracting her attention.

“What, Kalen?” Elena asked.

“Elena… this is a little weird, huh? Us two knights with you two sisters?” Kalen asked.

“What on earth are you talking about?” Elena asked.

“Marriage!” Kalen said.

“Huh… Kalen, I certainly don’t remember agreeing to this,” Elena said.

“Uh… you did. When we got to Elibe, remember?” Kalen asked.

“…No. And I don’t plan to. Seriously? You’re not making this up?” Elena asked.

“Er… no?” Kalen asked.

“You’re crazier than Hector. Kalen, my dedication is to the Circlet, and the Circlet only. Emilyn needs me more than I need a husband. Aderyn makes for better fighting. Penelopy and Janiyah give better hugs. And I only need one person robbing me blind, and that’s always Yune,” Elena said.

“Wow… I guess you don’t need me, then,” Kalen said.

“Our relationship will never progress past commander and soldier. Maybe friends?” Elena said.

“Well… I can tell when I’m not wanted,” Kalen said.

“Not before damn time,” Elena remarked, moving forward.

“I don’t think he gets it,” Lyn said.

“After this, you’ll have to tell me how you and you-know-who did it,” Elena said.

“Hector left me alone because I went to Sacae while his hands were tied. I don’t think you’ll have the same luck,” Lyn said.

Roy opened the Dragon’s Temple, and everyone filed inside carefully. Lyn stepped forward a little more than the others, looking for something to get things going.

“Huh? Is that… it is! Lyn! Over here!” Nino cried out, running up to and hugging the older girl.

“Huh? Oh, Nino! It's good to see you too. But… I need to breathe… Urk!” Lyn said, smiling still.

“Oh! Sorry… didn't mean to…” Nino said.

“It's fine, Nino. How did you even get here? It's dangerous, stay behind me!” Lyn said.

“I chose to come here,” Nino said simply.

“Why in Mother Earth’s name would you do that?” Lyn asked.

“Because he asked me to!” Nino said.

“Who’s he?” Lyn asked.

“Can't tell you... she'd be mad at me. Really mad, actually,” Nino said.

“Nino...” Lyn said, wondering what was going on.

“Uh... look, do me a favour, okay? Come with me!” Nino said.

“Nino?” Lyn asked.

“See… the thing is, Lyn, there a bunch of people invading our world! They already destroyed two others! We have to stop them here! They plan to do just what Nergal did- unleash the dragons!” Nino said.

“Nino... who told you this?” Lyn asked.

“I can't say... Look, you don't have to commit. See that swordmaster… er, cavalier there? If you kill her, then we’ll be done! Her death will destroy enemy morale!” Nino said, pointing.

“I don't know... murder?” Lyn asked.

“They've destroyed worlds! This won’t be murder. Was killing Nergal murder?” Nino asked. Lyn stepped back, before looking closely at Nino’s hand.

“That mark… you're working with Pyres, then, aren't you?” Lyn asked.

“How did you know?” Nino asked.

“That woman you want me to kill… is my apprentice,” Lyn said.

“Pardon?” Nino asked.

“Nino… I don't think you know what you're getting into,” Lyn said.

“But… they…” Nino said.

“Don't you think it's very odd that they came here specifically to release the dragons? If they've destroyed two other worlds, I don't see how the dragons could be an upgrade,” Lyn said.

“But… The dragons toppled Hector like he was nothing!” Nino said.

“If they destroyed worlds, then how would the dragons help them compared to what power they must already possess?” Lyn asked.

“Uh…” Nino said.

“Isn't it also a coincidence that the very goal of this group you fear so much is to set out and do the very thing you fear the most? The thing you'd give your life to stop? Think of the destruction you're causing!” Lyn said. Nino hung her head in shame.

“Nino… What would Canas think? What did your Black Fang brothers think when you made this pact?” Lyn asked.

“Th-They would do what's right…” Nino said tearfully.

“Well, Nino? What will you do?” Lyn asked.

“…Jaffar!” Nino called out. Jaffar appeared from the shadows.

“What?” Jaffar asked.

“Go with Lyn and this… Circlet. If Lyn is being truthful, report back. If she is being tricked… Cut them down and return,” Nino said.

“As you wish,” Jaffar said.

“Nino… Very well… Come on, Jaffar,” Lyn said. Nino teleported away from the group, to a far end.

“Father… Uncle… Am I doing the right thing? I just don't know anymore…” Nino asked herself. Before Lyn could do more than reel at the surprise, an image appeared in front of the group. This figure was clad in the robe of a manakete, but Roy recognised him regardless.

“Jahn!” Roy said.

“Hartmut’s descendant… Roy, was it? I can’t say it’s nice to see you again... but I can’t say it’s completely horrible, either,” Jahn’s illusion said.

“Jahn, why are you cooperating with the Spirits? They’ll just take all of your energy and leave you for dead!” Roy said.

“But you forget, Roy… the power of the Dark Dragon is also within my own bounds. Here, in this Temple, I am able to perform a magic that will make it so that my Essence is near boundless. That’s not going to be made redundant anytime soon,” Jahn said.

“Oh snap,” Elena said.

“This is dangerous…” Ephraim said.

“All right, this’ll be a confrontation that decides Tellius’s fate. Jahn’s going to be summoning this Essence as we speak, so we need to get up there and stop him before he can generate enough for Pyres to level Tellius,” Tormod said.

“Nino will have thought of this… my Black Fang brothers will stop you,” Jaffar said.

“The Black Fang…” Ninian said.

“I am under no obligation to tell you anything about them,” Jaffar said.

“But they’ll be friends with Nino… if we can stop her, we stop the Black Fang,” Eliwood said.

“Time is of the essence. Let’s get moving!” Elena called.

Elena was the first to confront the Black Fang. The Soaring Hawk, Uhai, rode to face her. Both Uhai and Elena had their bow at the ready.

“I see you are of the Sacae… and yet… you do not look Sacae. Etrurian, maybe… no, Lycian…” Uhai said.

“I hail from the far country of Crimea. There’s no reason for you to have heard of it. I have learned bowmanship and fine swordplay from Lady Lyn, of the Sacae, however… make of that as you will,” Elena said.

“Then… let us fight,” Uhai said. His arrow sung quickly, and Elena dodged, the arrow cutting her hair very slightly. Elena growled, and spun an arrow onto her bow, firing at Uhai. Uhai moved with the speed of a soaring hawk, and Elena growled. She focused, and fired five arrows at once, aiming more for the manakete behind Uhai than Uhai himself. Uhai was fine dodging them, but Elena used the opportunity to come running and drawing the Sol Katti. Uhai smiled, drawing his own sword. Elena and Uhai began bringing the swords to each other, striking and parrying effectively.

“You’re good…” Elena said.

“I learned from the best teacher, experience. I will not deny the influence Thu’s readings have had upon you, though,” Uhai said. Uhai leaped into the air, and Elena realised her opportunity. She shifted slightly, moving to stand nearer the edge of the Temple. Uhai landed next to her, missing her by a hair, but his front horse hooves were landed on uncertain terrain. Elena took in a breath, before nudging the horse forward slighty, pushing Uhai and his mount down into whatever hades was in the Dragon Temple.

“When assassins are in play, you just have to fight dirty,” Elena said.

Yune found herself stopped moving, somehow. She looked around curiously, as a small shadow shot around her, before stopping in front of her. It was a thief, or maybe an assassin. Like her, wearing little, always ready to move. His scarred face smiled at her.

“Who would you be, thief?” Yune asked.

“Like you’re one to talk. I’m called Legault, the Hurricane,” Legault said.

“Yune, Princess of Daein,” Yune said.

“A princess? Yeah, right. I’ve seen rebellious princesses, but I don’t see thieves among them,” Legault said.

“You’re just not looking in the right places,” Yune said, darting forward, striking with her dagger. Legault’s dagger caught it, and pushed it away.

“You really should not make it so obvious you’re planning your strike, princess,” Legault said.

“I’m self-taught, what do you expect? My father wasn’t exactly one of the best thieves, either,” Yune said.

“Really? Then maybe you’d be interested in joining the Black Fang?” Legault asked. He lunged, aiming for Yune’s not-so-vital organs. Yune blocked, disarmed Legault, and dropped him to the ground.

“Second Law of Kunai: Never let your opponent keep their weapon,” Yune said, driving Legault’s dagger into his chest. Legault crumbed to dust.

“And I didn’t appreciate the almost-being-killed during your peace offering. It wasn’t very nice,” she added.

Livia was trying to weave and fly her way to Jahn, trying to stop him before it was too late. She found her wings facing a gust of wind, and she turned in shock. A mage knight was staring her down, a calculating look in her eyes.

“I am Ursula, the Blue Crow,” the mage knight said.

“Livia, Princess of Crimea. So you are of the raven tribe?” Livia asked.

“Raven… tribe? No, I am not of Sacae. I am of the Black Fang,” Ursula said.

“Right… you guys don’t have laguz. Besides, laguz were never known for magical prowess… well, herons, maybe,” Livia said. She focused, and summoned the twin blades Sol and Luna. She launched Luna at Ursula, holding it to approach Ursula. She started spinning Sol more and more rapidly, as Luna brought Ursula to a corner. Ursula hurriedly realised what was happening, and prepared another bolt of wind. Both Sol and Luna were released, Luna striking Ursula and dropping her, the wind hitting Livia for a bit, before Sol finished her off. Seeing that helped Livia’s Renewal gem work.

“…I always underestimate the strength of Crimean blood,” Livia remarked.

Aderyn spotted Nino next to a dragon, and realised that was where they needed to be. She charged, to be stopped by a flying tomahawk. Aderyn watched the axe return to the hands of a hero.

“Who are you?” Aderyn asked.

“I am the Mad Dog of the Black Fang, bird. And that’s my little sis you’re threatening there!” Linus said.

“Your sister is working with Pyres! I think that’s cause for concern,” Aderyn said. Linus drew a massive blade, and charged forward. Aderyn dodged, and clawed at Linus’s face. Linus slashed with his sword, pushing Aderyn away with a wound to her chest, but she had struck his eyes. Linus hurriedly bandaged them, and switched to his axe. He stomped with both feet, before spinning around in a circle. With a blood-crazed roar, Linus came barrelling towards Aderyn, axe coming up with a *whoomp**whoomp**whoomp* noise. Aderyn cawed, and struck the axe, sending it off balance. She let out a burst of light, before piercing right through Linus, destroying him.

“I’ll at least say your little stunt was a good way to compensate for blindness,” Aderyn remarked.

Janiyah was prowling through the Temple, and like Aderyn, found Nino and the dragon. She hissed, before pouncing. A sleek sword caught her mid-pounce, sending her falling to crash into a wall. Janiyah shook herself, and turned to look at her attacker. A swordmaster approached her.

“You are a fierce cat, all right… I am the White Wolf of the Black Fang,” Lloyd said, approaching.

“Nailah, then? Beast on beast… let’s see how I go,” Janiyah said. She began pouncing, bounding off Lloyd every time he looked like he was going to strike. Lloyd got the idea to thrust, which Janiyah quickly jumped on and charged in for the bite. Lloyd growled, and focused. He pulled back, creating five copies of himself, and Janiyah realised what was about to happen. She focused, and struck one of Lloyd’s first copies. She flipped from the attack, and struck a second on the attack. Continuing in this fashion, she managed to arrive into a position where Lloyd was pinned under her.

“Ferocious…” Lloyd said.

“I am Janiyah, daughter of the Commander of Donaregin, and future warrior of Gallia. I’d hope I’d be a little ferocious when it comes to dealing with my enemies,” Janiyah said. She bit Lloyd’s neck, finishing him off.

“Ells? Ells?” Emilyn asked, walking through the temple in fear. Elena had gone off without her, and for some reason she couldn’t quite explain, she hated that. She knew it was smart for Elena to lead the charge and her to stay behind with her magic, but…

“Emilyn Laguz?” a deep voice asked. Emilyn turned, and spotted a massive warrior approaching her.

“No… Emilyn Misaha Altina…” Emilyn said.

“You are… more shy than I had been taught. However, you must still be defeated… as the commander of the Black Fang, it is my duty to defeat you, daughter of Tormod,” the warrior said. Brendan Reed hefted up his axe, and cleaved down. Emilyn jumped back, her mind beginning to race. What was Brendan talking about? Brendan’s next axe stroke catching the clips of her robes, causing them to slip off, enticing Emilyn back into action. She cast a massive Cymbeline, using the flames as more of a distraction than a true attack. She pulled her robes back on, and tied a few makeshift knots to keep them in place. Emilyn looked back up, and cast a second Cymbeline. While the fireball was forming, Brendan spun his axe around, cleaving down. The Cymbeline caught the blade, melting it, but Emilyn didn’t dodge the remaining shaft and blunted metal. Emilyn dropped to the ground, watching as Brendan approached her. A whirr of an arrow sounded, and Brendan’s face contorted. He dropped to the ground, and Lyn relaxed her arrow.

“Lyn!” Emilyn cried out.

“I know how much Elena looks out for you… stay here, I’ll go get Roy or someone to keep you safe while we handle the big threat. As much as I’m willing to bet flashing the enemy might be a valid tactic… I’d rather you didn’t, at least in front of Elena,” Lyn said.

“I see… thanks, Lyn,” Emilyn said.

“Now it’s my turn to make sure Elena doesn’t wind up getting herself killed,” Lyn said, turning to rush.

“How?” Emilyn asked. Lyn took in a deep breath.

“Now that I’ve made amends with Hector… I think we should be able to…” Lyn started, before stopping herself. She rushed forward, leaving Emilyn looking lost and confused.

“I’ve done my work… They check out,” Jaffar said, approaching Nino.

“Ah… Thank you, Jaffar,” Nino said. Jaffar stared.

“Yes, Jaffar?” Nino asked.

“Now what?” Jaffar asked.

“You are free to do as you wish… I… will be joining Lyn and her friends,” Nino said.

“Then that is where I will go…” Jaffar said.

“Jaffar… Thank you… URGH! ARGH! GWAGH!” Nino said, dropping to the ground, clenching her hands.

“Nino!” Jaffar cried out.

I think not… Pyres said.

“Urgh… wha-what are you…. Urgh!” Nino said.

“Pyres… you forget our role… Your emotions cloud your judgement… I shall fix this…” another voice from within Nino said.

“Haah… No! I refuse…. Urgh… to fight my friends,” Nino said.

How very noble of you, Nino. Terrus, I have no such loyalties… you will destroy them… Pyres said.

“Urgh… J-J-Jaffar…” Nino said.

“Nino? Hold on!” Jaffar said.

“Y-Your…. final target… is... me…” Nino said, shaking her head sadly. Jaffar stepped back, in horror.

“I see now… that I w-was a fool… I don't want to… hurt my friends… So please… Jaffar… stop… me…” Nino said.

“Nino…” Jaffar said, looking at his companion. Nino’s eyes blinked, and turned a deep brown colour.

“Too late… meat…” Nino’s voice, merged with that of Terrus. She got to her feet, clapped her hands, and created a small Terra spell. Jaffar avoided it with a flip.

“Yes! You cannot bring yourself to right me!” Nino said.

“Wrong! I am the angel of death! Once given a target, they don't see another dawn… You will be no different…” Jaffar said, drawing his knife.

Aderyn and Janiyah, their encounters with Lloyd and Linus complete, arrived to face Jahn. He was standing at the end of a massive chamber, his legs entwined in the ground. Statues were creating manaketes. One by one, the manaketes slowly and confidently went to stand by Jahn, before having their Essence drained completely, sucked into the Fire Emblem. An ingenious bid for Essence, indeed.

“This ends now, dragon!” Aderyn said.

“…So, I’m being threatened by a jungle cat and an overgrown bird…” Jahn said.

“We will defeat you, dragon,” Janiyah said.

“…Not any time this century!” Jahn said. He reared back, and launched a stream of fire forward, sending Aderyn soaring skyward, Janiyah in her grip. Aderyn focused, and dropped Janiyah on top of Jahn, before diving in and scratching herself. Aderyn got Jahn’s eyes, remembering the tactic worked better against these false beings, while Janiyah had gone for his wings and neck. Jahn’s back wounds restored themselves, fires licking around his body with a tremendous might. Jahn blinked, and a pair of golden eyes reappeared.

“This… can’t be good,” Aderyn said.

“I have the strength of every War Dragon ever created! I’m not on my way out thanks to beasts!” Jahn roared, swatting the two laguz aside. Aderyn struck the wall, and reverted. Janiyah could hold her form, but there was a distinct shudder. Aderyn looked up, to notice Jahn rearing back… and…

“I give you credit, meat… You are swift, and your gift with a blade is admirable. But you lack one thing. You feel pain, physical and mental… You cannot bring yourself to harm me, you know your friend is dead and you still hesitate,” Nino said, having just completed a magical barrage with all six anima types, as well as a dark spell that seemed to summon the spirit of a fanged beast. Jaffar paused, neither noticing nor caring about said barrage.

“Nothing to say? We'll see soon how high your tolerance of pain is physically and mentally, as with this body I will tear you apart!” Nino said.

“No… I have…. been given a target… I have never faltered… I will not do so now… and allow Nino such anguish of what you will force upon her. I will mourn this for all my days… Prepare yourself, monster!” Jaffar said.

A shriek.

Aderyn was looking up, Jahn’s fiery doom set upon her. A bird’s shriek was not what she was expecting.

Though one with the swiftness of Zard’s wings should never be discounted in the hour of need.

Zard dived in and out, his talons clawing at Jahn, distracting him. His tail was sweeping, his breath was launching, but Zard’s speed remained an excellent tool in dodging it. Horse, armour and light feet echoed, as three more figures appeared. Zard flew back, reverting to base form, to help Aderyn up, as the three figures raised their respective swords.

“For Roy!” Eliwood cried out, swinging Durandal about, and jumping in the air. He pierced down on Jahn, before striking back up.

“For Lilina!” Hector added, spinning his sword like a top, before jumping and crashing into Jahn.

“…FOR ELENA!” Lyn finished, dividing into five, and striking Jahn several times over. Lyn reappeared normally, looking away from Jahn as he descended, the manakete-creating statutes breaking. Hector reached up to his face, feeling a new scar.

“Aderyn…” Zard said.

“Zard, that was awesome, and you saved our butts. Thanks,” Aderyn said.

“You’re welcome… Aderyn… I was wondering…” Zard said, a look on his face Aderyn recognised all too well. She had spotted it on Wright’s face not that long ago.

“You’re jumping on the bandwagon and proposing, aren’t you?” Aderyn asked. Zard’s hands flew to his mouth, and he turned a shade of crimson Aderyn didn’t even think Emilyn could do. Aderyn just laughed, and took one of Zard’s feathers to tuck behind her ear.

“I like you. You’re Penelopy’s brother, and I trust you. I’m certain that you would’ve born me at least one hawk regardless. But if you think you’re going to be my husband, you’re going to have to do a lot better than that,” Aderyn said.

“…I take it we’ll leave it at that?” Zard squeaked out.

“Grargh! Y-You! How could this… happen? It's written all over this meat’s pathetic mind you couldn't bear to see any… harm befall her… much less… be the hand that… deals it…” Nino, or more likely Terrus, said, on bended knee.

“If this is what it takes… To fulfil my contract… and Nino's last wish… then…. then so be it. If she truly is dead as you say, then you are nothing more than an interloper that needs to be removed. Thrice Nino has saved me… And now I shall save her from you,” Jaffar said. He spun his daggers around, before disappearing. A bright light appeared in Nino’s eyes, and Jaffar stepped back, a lethal wound in Nino’s body.

“No… this… can't be… Pyres! You wouldn't dare! You wou-” Nino said, before a red light appeared in her back.

“Argh! Jaffar?” Nino said, clearly speaking with Nino’s voice.

“I am here, Nino… I-” Jaffar said.

“It’s fine... you had…. no other choice…. Just promise me… Look after the little ones...” Nino said.

“I will, Nino… I promise…” Jaffar said.

“Good… I'm… so tired…” Nino said, before the colour had completely drained form her body. Jaffar stared in silence, his face impassive, but his eyes tortured. He looked up, to see Nino’s colour, as well as some odd kind of soil, absorbed into the Fire Emblem.

Well… as fun as causing inner turmoil amongst my enemies is, this Essence is sure to be enough for me to taste my goal. I won’t need much more Essence to finally level Tellius! Pyres’ voice said. Jaffar said nothing. Janiyah, Aderyn and Zard nearby, however, were more vocal in their horror. Pyres vanished, and the three turned to each other.

“We’ve no other option,” Janiyah said.

“We must return home,” Zard said.

“Return, and crush him once and for all. He is too close for comfort,” Aderyn said.

Everyone emerged from the Dragon Temple, relief and terror evident in their faces. Elena looked about, and spotted Jaffar trying to make a quiet escape.

“So where do you think you're going, mister?” Elena asked.

“Away… That's all you need to know…” Jaffar said.

“I disagree,” Elena said, tightening her grip on the Sol Katti, and pulling it out from its sheath slightly.

“Think what you want. It is of no concern to me anymore. I do not wish to fight you… however, you will not stop me,” Jaffar said.

“Yeah? Why's that?” Elena asked, blade drawn.

“I made a promise. I intend to make good on it,” Jaffar stated.

“…Copper for your thoughts?” Elena asked thoughtfully.

“Pardon?” Jaffar asked, confused.

“What's going through your mind right now? I've seen people cut down their best friend like this before… I’m sorry, it just doesn’t click…” Elena said.

“I did what I was asked… and it will haunt me forever more. You wish to know what I am thinking? Here it is… I keep replaying the moment in my mind… Wondering… what I could have done differently could I have…” Jaffar said. A single tear was in his eyes.

“…Thank you. I think I understand now…” Elena said.

“No, you don't. Not until you are forced to kill the person you love most… Not until you've watched their life slowly bleed away, and know in your heart you were the one to cause it. And, until that time, you do not know my burden. You. Do not. Know. Pray you don't,” Jaffar said, staring beyond Elena. Elena turned, and saw the Circlet smiling amongst each other, as Yune restitched Emilyn’s robe.

“I think I have the wrong guy… You're talking way too much to be the Jaffar I've heard about…” Elena said, smiling.

“…Keep hold on those you hold dear… Without them… there is nothing left…” Jaffar said.

“So where are you going? Really?” Elena asked.

“To keep my promise. Elena Gawain… If I recall correctly, this whole debacle is because of Tormod Laguz's broken promise,” Jaffar said.

“Excuse me? Are you about to go defending that fireball?” Elena asked.

“No. I am merely stating a fact. If Tormod had not broken his promise… would Nino still be alive… Can you think of others that would still be alive? I ask you not to question your motives… but to question where the blame falls,” Jaffar said, before leaving. As soon as a shadow was cast upon him, he vanished.

“Grr… who does he think he is? Huh? What's this? Oh… He dropped this…” Elena said, scooping down to pick up a small drawing. It depicted Nino and Jaffar, both holding two small, alike children.

“Oh… Could those be…. Oh...” Elena said. She pocketed the drawing, and turned around. Far into the distance, somewhere, was Tellius. Her home.

And it was time for her to return.

Chapter 19x: The Fated One

The Black Fang… a group of assassins who make it their mission to take out those nobles that need a good beheading. They are tremendously effective at their job, so much so that their sudden change in motive during the Campaign of Fire was enough to send the continent of Elibe into fear.

Regardless, without the influence of Nergal and Sonia, the Fang were free to choose only the correct targets, and be a tight family when not on the hunt. Brendan Reed’s adoptive daughter, Nino, is a source of much joy to everyone in the Fang, despite her poor skill in combat.

Uhai let out a low chuckle, as Linus tossed Nino into the air a third time. He caught her with great ease, and the bounce was fun for the young mage, but what really sold it was Lloyd’s growing expression of terror and awe.

“Again, again!” Nino said.

“I… think that’s enough, Nino,” Lloyd said. Nino sighed, and jumped down from Linus’s arm. Brendan smiled, and scooped her up to give her a piggy-back ride.

“You really do spoil that lass rotten,” Legault said, looking up at her. His speed had helped make sure Linus and Brendan’s antics didn’t give her a cracked skull on more than one occasion, but they had been getting better. Ursula always had staves as a backup, too.

“She’s the light in the Black Fang, Hurricane. And I would never let her be without a smile on her face,” Brendan said.

“Whatever you say, Commander,” Legault said. Uhai looked up at the sky, and kneed his horse in such a way that it caused heavy footfalls. Everyone stopped their march, and began setting up camp. Nino tried to help, but after a canvas draped across her, Jaffar took her aside and allowed Ursula to fix up the tent. Nino lit the campfire, and everyone gathered around it.

“That was a nice mission,” Brendan remarked.

“Yeah… almost no resistance, and we didn’t kill a single civilian. I think,” Lloyd said.

“And the King’s going to be paying a hefty fee for this, too…” Linus said.

“Pah. There is no enjoyment in easy missions. I would much rather employ tactics to avert disaster from the brink,” Uhai said.

“Yeah, I’ll admit those missions are fun too. But easy ones mean we don’t have to worry as much about feeling guilty if we fail. Nino’s only getting started… we don’t need to worry about that on top of it all,” Ursula said.

“Nice haul, too,” Legault said, showing off an array of assorted weapons and a Guiding Ring, for Nino.

“…You stole from that village? We’ll have to compensate them for that,” Brendan said.

“No, this was from the noble’s keep. This lance was wielded by the guy that sounded the alarm, too… I think that simplified the whole ‘garrison’ thing,” Legault said.

“…Uhai, complex tactic,” Jaffar said, pointing. Nino giggled, and leaned her head into Jaffar.

“I don’t get it, buddy. You’re a new recruit, but Nino’s taken such a shine to you…” Brendan said.

“…I do not talk about that. I am still surprised you don’t remember,” Jaffar commented.

“…Regardless, it can’t’ve been all bad. Anyway, we’d best set up for the night,” Brendan said. Uhai nodded, and began cooking dinner. Everyone else was putting their stock into resting position.

Everyone had fallen asleep except Nino. Well, and Jaffar, but he really could fit one way or the other. Nino heard an odd sound, and turned. A blue light was shining in the trees. Nino got to her feet, and started walking towards it.

“Nino,” Jaffar said, in the loudest voice he had ever mustered. It was doubtful Linus heard, let alone anyone else.

“Jaffar… I need to keep everyone safe,” Nino said. Jaffar remained silent.

“…I know, but this is magical in nature. Wake up Ursula, if you must… I should be able to handle this myself,” Nino said, turning and leaving camp to go find the blue light. Jaffar silently watched her go, his face an impasse into his emotion.

Nino brushed through the trees, making sure not to burn them. After what happened last time, she knew that tended to end badly. She eventually found a clearing, where the blue spirit was hovering in place.

“…Who are you?” Nino asked.

I am Pyres… you are a mage, correct? A student of magical arts? the orb asked.

“…Yes, but if you need help, Ursula would be better than me…” Nino said.

No, you will do fine. You see… I’ve had a bit of a problem… I am a Spirit, and people can form pacts with Spirits to obtain great power at no cost. A bratty boy by the name of Tormod Laguz made a pact with me… and just when I started to trust him, he dropped me like a wet towel for no good reason. Because he broke a contract, I can get back at him… but I’ll need help, Pyres said.

“…You poor thing… but you found the right people! We are Black Fang. Killing is our name, killing is our mission. We’ll give you Tormod’s head,” Nino said.

…It isn’t that simple, young one. Tormod has acquired significant power from our pact. Only a Spirit Charmer could provide aid in a manner strong enough to win, Pyres said.

“A Spirit Charmer? …You want me to charm?” Nino asked.

Ideally, yes, Pyres said. Nino’s head dropped.

“…Can I think about it?” Nino asked.

…Of course, Pyres said, disappearing. He left behind a small tome, which opened only to one page. The page detailing how to Charm.

“You found what?” Brendan asked, when Nino came back and explained herself.

“A Spirit… Father, we have to help him!” Nino said.

“I’d highly suggest we do, Brendan… I’d imagine these Spirits would not take kindly to someone ignoring their plight,” Ursula said.

“…But still! My little Nino’s not doing any Charming!” Brendan said.

“Why, daddy? He said there was no price!” Nino said.

“All power has price, Nino. Whether it be time or otherwise, there is no such thing as free power. All the more reason to be more suspicious…” Uhai said.

“Correct. The man who lies is not to be trusted,” Legault said.

“Bit rich, coming from the thief,” Linus said.

“Legault is correct, Linus,” Lloyd said.

“…Nino. This decision is up to you. Just know your family thinks this is… sketchy,” Jaffar said.

“Thanks, Jaffar…” Nino said. She looked up.

“What’s that?” Nino asked. Everyone turned, and gasped. Three rather odd figures were making their approach: a childish-looking man, a regal looking woman, and a child not unlike Nino. They held out their hands, and summoned tigers, pegasus knights, and swordmasters.

Oh… they’ve found us, Pyres said, appearing beside Nino.

“Who are they?” Nino asked.

That boy is Tormod Laguz. Beside him is his wife, Sanaki, and his daughter, Emilyn, Pyres said.

“Tormod, eh? We’ll kill him here,” Brendan said, pulling out his axe. The rest of the Fangs grabbed their weapons, and began their fight. Brendan and Linus were wrestling away the tigers, Lloyd, Legault and Jaffar were handling the swordmasters, and Uhai and Ursula were dealing with the pegasi. Playing to their strengths, fighting back waves of enemies. Tormod, Sanaki and Emilyn were smirking, continuing to summon hordes of their respective creatures. Tormod was also adding birds of prey, Sanaki a few generals, and Emilyn some nomads. The new fighting styles gave the Black Fang trouble, setting them back.

…Your friends seem to be struggling… Pyres said.

“They are Black Fang. They will win,” Nino said. A general reared back, and tossed a spear on a chain, carving a hole in Uhai’s left. A bird let out a screech, and charged into Brendan, opening and reopening many scars. A nomad reared back, and shot an arrow into Jaffar.

“NO! I will not let the Black Fang fall!” Nino cried out. She started reading from the tome. Everyone turned to her, as a light, brown as earth, appeared in front of Nino.

I am Terrus, Spirit of Earth. What reason have you for summoning me? the voice asked.

“I am Nino Reed, Fierce Heron of the Black Fang. I require the aid of the Spirits to defend my Black Fang brothers and sisters…” Nino said.

Very well, Nino Reed, Fierce Heron. I shall lend you my power, Terrus said. She spun around in an intense circle, before being absorbed into Nino’s Essence. Nino blinked once, before magic began circling around her hands. She blasted a massive flame at the tigers, a hurricane (not Legault) at the birds and pegasi, an earthquake under the feet of the generals, and a cold snap at the swordmasters and nomads. Nino turned to Tormod, Sanaki and Emilyn, a glint of power in her eye. The Black Fang looked up in horror, as Nino summoned a massive beast of darkness behind her. She thrust her hands forward, sending the Fell Fang attack into all three mages. Once the darkness faded, there were no remains of the three magicians.

“Nino…” Brendan said. Nino turned to Brendan, a hardened spirit in her eyes. Despite that, her tears were still readily apparent. Jaffar appeared behind her, and pulled her into a hug.

Tremendous work, Nino! But… those weren’t the real ones. The real Tormod Laguz, as well as his daughter Emilyn, will be coming here with a massive entourage. And you’ll know what to do when that day comes, right? Pyres asked.

“I won’t help you anymore. Nino is quite clearly hurt by this power,” Brendan said.

“Brendan… we have to help. Not because it’s the right thing to do… we need to see this Tormod Laguz and his friends,” Nino said. The Black Fang caught the hidden meaning in her eyes. And, unfortunately, so did Pyres.

You don’t trust me? Very well then… Pyres said, launching a blast of fire outward. A red light seeped into everyone in the Black Fang but Nino and Jaffar, causing them to become a bit hungrier for battle…

“What did you do?” Nino asked.

I merely reappropriated their mindset to be more… co-operative. Don’t know why it didn’t work on Jaffar, though, Pyres said.

“My only purpose in life is to aid Nino,” Jaffar said.

“He may be an Angel of Death, but he’s my Angel of Death!” Nino said.

…Regardless, Nino Reed. You must help me gather the Essence I need to defeat Tormod Laguz. And his little friends, too… Pyres said.

Nino nodded, looking at the Black Fang uncertainly. This was not how she wanted them to act, not after Sonia…

So... oops. I got caught up in not one, but two movies last evening, and my mind completely forgot to realise yesterday was an update day.

Two positives for this. One, this chapter is entirely lore-based, having no impact on any future chapters and only changing your perspective on chapters that are already out. None of the blue units on this map can be played as again if this were an actual game. If any chapter had to be delayed, this was the best.

Two, one of those movies was Zootopia, and it gave me an idea for a future chapter's improvement...

Chapter 20: Rise To The Challenge

Lute. Ewan. Raigh. Nino. Four Spirit Charmers have been defeated, and their Essence harvested by Pyres. With no continents visible on the horizon and an ominous warning on their ears, Elena decides to return everyone to Tellius, to bring a stop to Pyres’s madness.

In Tellius, however, the group find Risen at every turn. The group fights on, hoping that each Risen they slaughter will cause enough of a dent in Pyres’s power to bring him to need more. They cannot afford to lag.

Their home is in danger.

As the party marched, things cooled from the last Risen fight, Mist called over Tana and Florina. Her Sonic and Runeswords were at her hip, so Tana had an inkling as to what she was about to suggest.

“Tana, Florina… in my travels, I have come across an interesting attack called-” Mist started.

“A triangle attack? Yeah, that’s standard practice in Frelia,” Tana said.

“Ilia, too,” Florina added.

“Really? That makes things a whole lot simpler… all right. I’m ready for this next battle… let’s triangle attack something while we’re there,” Mist said.

“Really?” Florina asked.

“Well, why not? It’ll break the monotony,” Tana remarked. Mist smiled, and raised her sword. Tana and Florina raised their lances, mentally readying themselves.

The group emerged into an oddly carved clearing. Everyone looked around nervously, before a song shot through the air. Elena felt her ear get nicked, as a shape began to materialise in front of them. The hair like flames… the odd mask… the familiar sword…

“You!” Elena called out, pulling her horse forward slightly, and taking out her bow.

“Me,” the one known only as Immaterial said. Mist, Florina and Tana flew forward, raised their blades, and launched a triangle attack. Immaterial countered all three, sending them sprawling. Elena looked at the golden blade in horror. She’d have to beat it if she wanted her Wo Dao back.

“Pitiful… I had hoped for a more powerful attack. Dame Elena… I believe you’ll be wanting this?” Immaterial asked, drawing the Wo Dao.

“Yes…” Elena said, the quaver of fear still in her voice. Immaterial looked at Elena uncertainly, before putting away her golden blade and taking the Wo Dao into her own hands. An odd light enveloped her, and she seemed to get much taller… no, she was getting a horse.

And blue hair. And orange robes. And a youthful, unmasked face.

And basically everything else that made Elena Elena.

“Hey! That’s my look!” Elena said.

“You cannot own an appearance, my lady…” Immaterial said in Elena’s voice. She focused, and summoned a horde of… things. They looked much like enchanted suits of armour… but there was also another element to them. Immaterial focused, and created a small yellow square on the ground, leading into a gap in the trees in the direction the party had been heading.

“Anyone who believes this fight to be beyond them, travel past the yellow square. Because my Armour Ones will pursue you otherwise. And they will not stop,” Immaterial said. As she said this, small yellow lights appeared in the suits of armour, and they began marching forward. Elena noticed that they were ignoring her in their attack.

“…What?” Elena asked.

“This is our time to duel, is it not, Dame Elena? It would not do to have a stray shot from one of my Armour Ones defeat you. Where’s the fun in that?” Immaterial said.

“Noted… then I shall offer you the same courtesy,” Elena said. “Be as it may, that sword is a family heirloom, and means more to me than its achievements on the battlefield. Consider my personal wrath a cruel mercy.”

“I look forward to it,” Immaterial said dryly.

“Mist? What are you doing up?” Rolf asked, shooting a few Armour ones. His usual strategy was made less effective by the chinks in their armour being absolutely nothing.

“Kara’s fine, so I’m fighting as well,” Mist said. Her light magic, taught to her by Rhys, was a much better option against the Armour ones.

“But… that wound…” Rolf said.

“Rolf, we agreed back in the Great War… no, the Mad King’s War. I’m not going to be coddled. I am a Gawain, and Gawains always fight with all their pride on the battlefield!” Mist said.

“Well… it’s good to see you’re up,” Rolf said.

“Thanks,” Mist said gently.

“Well… I’ve gotta go help Boyd and Sheeta. Or something,” Rolf said. Mist crossed her arms.

“That came out wrong… I meant that I don’t think I’m doing anything against nothing but armour suits,” Rolf said. Mist nodded, and the two went off to resume their attack.

Elena and Immaterial’s blades clashed, Sol Katti against the Wo Dao. Immaterial seemed to have copied all of Elena’s strengths and weaknesses, but the Wo Dao was simply a much nicer blade to have in this situation- it was quite effective against cavalry. Elena continued to swing, striking, but fearful of breaking the Wo Dao. She stepped back from an attack, her bow pulling on her hair…

That’s it!

Elena jumped from her horse, and patted her away, into the vicinity of some Armour Ones. Elena focused, and pulled out an arrow, spinning it around. She fired, sending the arrow flying into Immaterial’s chest. She dropped from her horse, and Elena sidestepped its charge. Elena approached Immaterial, and took the Wo Dao. She turned away, seeking to get her horse back.

“You… you cheater!” Immaterial called out, shaking her shape of Elena. She reverted back to her fire-headed form, and pulled out the golden blade. Elena tossed her bow aside, and pulled out the Sol Katti, to use alongside the Wo Dao.

“Two swords aren’t better than one,” Immaterial said. Elena swung both blades to either side of Immaterial. Immaterial blocked both, and did nothing in return. Mockingly. Elena growled, and swung both blades as hard as she could. All she was really doing was wearing herself out on recoil from Immaterial’s parries.

“You do not fight with any intelligence,” Immaterial said. Elena growled, before clashing her sword, and quickly kicking. Immaterial staggered back, and Elena quickly shot back towards her bow. Immaterial silently tossed her sword, and it was sent flying towards Elena.

*CLANG*

Lyn shot forward, parrying the blade and sending it flying away. Immaterial growled, and shot towards the blade. She grabbed it, and turned to Elena, taking on Lyn’s form. Elena shot her right through the chest, dropping her to the ground. Lyn shot Elena a joking glare, as the two stepped up to Immaterial’s side.

“The… the sword…” Immaterial said. Lyn grabbed the golden blade, and passed it to Immaterial. Immaterial sighed, content.

“Thank you… it would be a massive inconvenience for me to die without a blade in my hand. I can die in peace…” Immaterial said.

“…You were a great foe. But I don’t know your name… I don’t know anything about you. Other than your strength,” Elena said.

“And that is all you need to know, is it not? Was I not a difficult challenge, one that inspired you to think about your strategy in combat? If I can claim that, then I did my one job,” Immaterial said.

“…But history will not remember your greatness,” Elena said.

“History does not need to remember everything. And do I need a name to be told about?” Immaterial asked.

“…Keep everything to yourself, don’t you?” Elena asked.

“A lady always has her secrets, doesn’t she… Elena, I grant to you one gift. My Essence… my mask. May your ability to fight for your friends be never hampered again,” Immaterial said. She vanished in a white flash, leaving her mask behind. Elena picked it up, and put in on. A flurry of sights appeared in front of her, and she hurriedly took it off.

“That was intense,” Elena said.

“Well… you have beaten whoever that was. Come on, I’ll take you to the yellow tile thingy. Everyone else has already conceded,” Lyn said.

My university starts tomorrow, so as of this chapter, I am blaming all of my scheduling mishaps on that. If one happens to be going up on a Wednesday (which I believe there will be one), that will be the correct excuse, seeing as I'll either be in class or on a bus at the usual time.

Chapter 21: Charmed

A mysterious soldier confronts Dame Elena, but even her proficiency in blades succumbs to Elena’s newfound power. Elena is confident in her ability to defeat Pyres, especially with the extra prowess of the unknown knight channelled into the mask she now carries. Her ability to defeat Pyres is seemingly at her fingertips.

Elena and Lyn were practicing swordplay together, Elena’s strokes getting more and more proficient. Emilyn was sitting on a rock, watching them, when Yune snuck up.

“How’s everything with your girlfriend, cousin?” Yune asked.

“Yune! How long have you been here?” Emilyn asked.

“Long enough to know you’ve been all googly-eyed. Which… doesn’t tell you much, does it?” Yune asked. Emilyn crossed her arms, and Yune rolled her eyes. Elena dropped Lyn to the ground, and the two began a new sword duel. The light in Lyn’s eyes suggested that she was starting to hope for anything against Elena.

“Yune… what’s it like, falling for a boy?” Emilyn asked.

“I dunno, never done it. I’d imagine there’d be this feeling of wanting to spend the rest of your life with the boy, wanting nothing but the boy’s happiness, yadda yadda yadda, sappy stuff. I don’t steal stuff I can’t return. Why, you interested in a boy? Didn’t know you were even talking to any,” Yune said.

“Well…” Emilyn said, looking back at Elena’s duel. She spun around, her hair waving dramatically in the wind.

“…You have a crush on Elena?” Yune asked.

“I’ve tried thinking of everything else… but nothing else feels right. It has to be love, right? You know… romantic love?” Emilyn asked.

“Hm… now, you know I’m not an expert… but this doesn’t sound like a good idea, falling for Elena. She did just… something Kalen,” Yune said.

“Wasn’t that because she prefers the company of the Circlet?” Emilyn asked. Elena finished Lyn again, and Lyn suggested switching to archery practice.

“…I think you’re right. But let’s say you tell her, and she accepts. You now have to explain to the Begnion nobles that you’re in love with a chick. No offence, but Begnion is still hanging on to some sentiment back from when all the non-Sanaki nobles stunk,” Yune said.

“That statement was not offensive at all. But if I am to lead Begnion to a new age of acceptance, what better way than by being the unknown? Surely someone familiar and beloved won’t get slaughtered by the public?” Emilyn said.

“Good point, and probably true. Except Serenes Forest happened,” Yune said.

“And Elena would fight off anyone coming for my neck,” Emilyn said.

“…If you’re sure. But if this idea of yours goes south, I get first dibs on your stuff,” Yune said.

“Your mother was the rightful Empress of Begnion. I think you already have ‘first dibs on my stuff’,” Emilyn said.

The next march started up, and Emilyn was kicking around the idea of confessing to Elena as soon as possible. On one hand, she needed to know where Elena stood. On the other… her grip was so gentle as a sister, she didn’t want to lose it. She shook herself, before coming to rush up alongside Elena.

“Elena… I need to tell you something,” Emilyn said.

“I know… I see it, too,” Elena said.

“You… you do? Do… do you…” Emilyn said.

“I don’t know what to do,” Elena said.

“…Perhaps… a hug?” Emilyn asked.

“Emilyn, what are you talking about? I am not hugging this weird chick!” Elena said, pointing forward at a glowing white spirit, formed out of the light of the sun. Emilyn looked at it in surprise.

“…We can talk about that later,” Emilyn said.

“Good… now that she’s out of the way… who are you?” Elena asked.

My name is Holus, Spirit of Light, the Spirit said.

“A Spirit? Give me one good reason why I shouldn’t gut you right now,” Elena said.

Well… because the attacks of mere mortals have little effect on the Major Spirits, Holus said.

“Well…” Elena said.

“That stinks. We need to take down another Spirit,” Emilyn said.

Pyres? Thank goodness. It all started around twenty years ago, when- Holus started.

“We know that much,” Emilyn said, and gestured her head in Tormod’s direction.

…Dang. I kind of wanted to tell that story… but I don’t suppose there’s that kind of time. Anyway, Pyres being a Spirit would challenge your abilities even without the Essence he has been gathering. He has the power of the other four Major Spirits, now… Holus said.

“Major Spirits?” Elena asked.

Aquis, Entis, Drakas and Terrus. Between them, Pyres and myself, we bring into balance the six core elements of the world- earth, air, fire, water, light and darkness. Pyres taking on the powers of five is… very bad, Holus said.

“So how do you plan to stop it?” Elena asked.

…This might be hard for you, after what you’ve seen happen before. To Lute Underwood, to Ewan Jebediah, to Raigh Reed, and to Nino Reed. But I’m going to need one of you to Charm me, Holus said.

“Charm you?” Elena asked.

Spirits cannot directly overthrow other Spirits. That is why Pyres used Charmers in order to claim the Essence of his fellow Spirits. But I will not be deterred. Using the power of a Spirit Charmer, you should be able to go up against him, Holus said. Elena and Emilyn looked back at everyone else.

“This has got to be a trap,” Lyn said.

“And even if it wasn’t, there’s no way I’m letting my daughter start Charming,” Tormod said.

“Yeah… we’ve beaten Spirit Charmers before. Shouldn’t be too hard to defeat Pyres,” Elena said.

Did you? Were you beating the Spirits… or just the Charmers? Holus asked. Emilyn took in a breath, looking between Holus to Tormod, before her eyes finally settled on Elena.

“Elena… what I do now, I do to help you. My Essence is yours. I, Emilyn Misaha Altina, request to form a pact of the Spirits with the Spirit of Light, Holus, in order to defend Dame Elena, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part,” Emilyn said.

Very well, Emilyn Altina. A pact has been formed, Holus said. She turned into a bright light, and became one with Emilyn. No brand physically appeared, although Elena suspected it was under her robes somewhere.

“…Was that a Spirit Pact or marriage vows?” Elena asked.

“I was hoping you’d get that. Elena… AH!” Emilyn cried out. Elena dropped from her horse, and rushed to Emilyn’s side. She took a hold of Emilyn’s hands, as an odd light began flashing over her. Emilyn was screaming and moaning, and Elena was trying to grab hold of her, to hug her, to hold her close. That wasn’t exactly easy, and eventually, Elena was shaken off. Emilyn was brought to her feet in front of the party, her pose menacing.

Pyres… Holus’s voice said.

Holus. I never would’ve expected you’d have gone behind my back like this. That’s why I saved you for last… but in rebellion, you have managed to accomplish my goal, if a little bit on the dodgy side… Pyres said.

“PYRES! You will relinquish Emilyn right now, or face my wrath!” Elena cried out.

“You heard the Dame. Let my daughter go!” Tormod called.

Do you honestly expect I’ll be doing that? No… I’ll be needing Holus’s Essence to put the coup de grâce on Tellius’s death knell. And you’re going to help me get my hands on it! Pyres said.

“We would never help you. And besides, you got the Essence of the Charmers after we killed them. What makes you think we’ll kill Emilyn?” Elena asked.

Well… why offer a choice? Pyres asked. He shot backwards, and Emilyn began to move. She chanted ominously, before creating a massive barrier of light that blocked even the wind. Aderyn flew over and tested the barrier, being repelled at all heights, without mercy.

That’s the first part. A barrier to stop you from escaping without killing your friend. Pyres said. Emilyn waved her hands around, and summoned forces of nomads, valkyries, assassins, mage knights, cats, hawks and even a few herons. Quite a few high-damage foes in the bunch.

And that’s the second part. Don’t think you can just sit in here and wait for me to destroy your continent another way, Pyres said. Elena turned to Emilyn, before drawing the Wo Dao.

“Emilyn, I’ll get you out of this mess…” Elena said, putting on the Mask of Immaterial before charging.

As Elena charged, Emilyn looked up at her.

“Ells… I… I need time!” Emilyn called out. She summoned a general with a rather poor attack power for Elena to break her sword on for a bit, as she rushed to the barrier. She closed her eyes, allowing Holus to take over for a bit. She pushed against the barrier, trying to cast her magic on the barrier, but it didn’t budge or weaken.

I’m sorry, Emilyn Altina… Holus said.

“This is my fault… I need to atone for it,” Emilyn said. She turned, to see Elena right behind her. Right, the Wo Dao was effective against armour.

“Ells… I’m sorry for everything that’s happened here…” Emilyn said.

“It’s all right, Em,” Elena said.

“Ells… before you kill me, there’s something you need to know… I like you,” Emilyn said.

“I like you too, Em. What was so important about that?” Elena asked.

“I like you… romantically. Like Wright and Livia, or Zard and Aderyn,” Emilyn said. Elena’s jaw dropped, as did her Wo Dao. Elena stepped forward, and gave Emilyn a deep hug, pushing her head into her chest.

“…I… I think I like you too. Lyn helped me realise just how important my sisters were… Emilyn, I’d be honoured to be your girlfriend,” Elena said. Emilyn cleared her throat, looking around.

“Oh… Emilyn, why did you tell me? I can’t kill you now,” Elena said.

“Because, Elena, I couldn’t face the thought of you not knowing. Once I’m gone, find someone else to share your happiness with. But remember me, Ells. And push on. Make sure Pyres knows your pain,” Emilyn said.

“Em…” Elena said.

“Ells, hurry up. There’s no way I’m going to make it out of this barrier alive… Just…” Emilyn said.

“Yune!” Elena cried out. Yune darted over, and looked between the two.

“Emilyn… did you…” Yune asked.

“Yune… please,” Elena said, pointing to Emilyn. The Wo Dao jumped from the ground, and Elena drove it into Emilyn’s rib, causing a large wound, though not immediately fatal. Yune understood Elena’s intention immediately, as Elena ran to the barrier, pushing against it. Yune’s hand began hovering over Emilyn, ready to use Sacrifice in the manner it was intended.

Not a chance! Pyres called out, descending on Emilyn, and holding out the Fire Emblem.

“…NO!” Elena cried out, turning from the barrier and pushing Pyres away. As she did so, she saw the light of Holus go around her and into the medallion. Emilyn’s colour, on the other hand, was sinking into her.

“Emilyn…” Elena said, before dropping to the ground.

Pathetic… I didn’t need the Essence of some doe-eyed princess anyway. Holus was all I needed… and now, I intend to level your continent! Pyres said. He disappeared, and Yune rushed to Elena’s side. Elena was looking over herself, feeling an odd magic flowing through her.

“Elena?” Yune asked. Elena clapped her hands, and created a cute little burst of flame.

“Emilyn… thanks. I hope this will be enough to get you your revenge…” Elena said, talking to the colourless husk of Emilyn. She scooped it up, and headed towards the convoy.

I said, not in a public announcement but in a private conversation, that I did not take the time to kill any blue units in this story. (Take this as non-obvious because my versions of FE9 and 10 on which this is based killed five playable characters total. Six, counting Mia's non-fatal death). I did not lie, but I am sure that I will be called out for bending the truth somewhat.

Chapter 21x: The Holy War

Ike has endured many hardships in this adventure. Many brave heroes had died, all in Pyres’ ambition. However, the eve of his travels is almost upon him. Both Leanne and Soren have confirmed an intense magical concentration ahead. Either Pyres has come to meet them, or it could be that Elena has returned to Tellius, and it is time for them to team up. Soren and Gavina confirm the tactical benefit of uniting with Elena, and Ike makes sure to run to his daughter’s side.

“Who the hell are you?” one robed, intimidating druid asked the other.

“I was about to ask you the same question,” the other responded.

“Gharnef, sage of darkness and commander of Medeus,” Gharnef stated.

“Manfroy, high priest of the Lopto Sect, and summoner of Loptyr,” Manfroy responded.

“…We’ve both summoned dragons? Maybe we could work together… maybe take command of whatever continent this is…” Gharnef said.

“You sense them too, though, right? The spirit like that of Sigurd?” Manfroy asked.

“And Marth? Yes, quite correct. I can sense them, too. Welcoming committee?” Gharnef asked.

“Yes. I’ll need many castles to set up some units. The boy, the meddling girl, the other priest… You got anyone you want to summon?” Manfroy asked.

“Well, I’ll get the assassin and Medeus. I think… I know what girls to use to assist him. I have this… odd sense. You know of anyone called Mia, Elincia, Micaiah or Sanaki?” Gharnef asked.

“No… but I would like to see them get to your Medeus fellow. I’m curious, now,” Manfroy said.

Ike kept up the march, eagerly looking for the marking that would denote Elena’s presence. More than anything, he just wanted to find his daughters so he knew they were safe. The fierce eyes of some of the other soldiers suggested that they wanted the same thing for their sons and daughters.

“Hold, Ike… something’s ahead!” Jill said, pointing to a Begnion castle. Surrounding it were a few castles that were certainly not expected to be in this area, and didn’t look shoddily built. Either they had gone overlooked for a good long while, or

“Everyone, get ready!” Ike said.

“Ready for me?” a voice asked. Two figures appeared in front of them: one named Gharnef, the other Manfroy.

“Figures… let me guess, you’re not friendlies?” Ike asked.

“Not to you, Sigurd,” Manfroy said.

“We like this place. And we’re going to take it for our own. If you think you can stop us, Marth, come get us. But be warned…” Gharnef said, before summoning something in front of him. It was the shape of Dame Elena, wrists bound, and tears in her eyes.

“Elena!” Ike cried out.

“Ike! Help!” Elena cried.

“…OK, as effective as that was, that was just plain stupid,” Ike said, looking up.

“Um, Ike? Your wife?” Gharnef asked.

“What? That’s my daughter!” Ike said.

“You idiot, Gharnef! You always research your opponent before you try the hostage gambit!” Manfroy said.

“Sorry… I’ve done this with multiple before. Not used to a single target… or even trying,” Gharnef said.

“…Let’s just get them working,” Manfroy said. The two druids vanished, and an assortment of Risen appeared. The castles all became occupied, flying various banners matching the emblems on the soldiers. Ike looked at the nearest castle, led by an elegant woman with great control over thunder.

“You heard the crackpots. Let’s get working!” Ike said.

Ilyana pushed forward, using fire and earth magic to trip up the cavalry to reach the first castle. Standing at the castle’s gate was the lady of thunder.

“They send a mage against me? This match will be short. Julius, I will protect you…” the mage said. She started waving her hands, and cast a massive bolt of lightning. Ilyana tried to do her absorbing trick, but a significant blast remained damaging. Ilyana took in a heaving breath, still, at least, standing.

“Darn… how did you survive that? My Mjӧlnir is tremendous!” the mage said.

“I have trained myself to absorb thunder magic,” Ilyana said.

“Great, just great. After everything that happened to Julius, I’m going to die up against something that was specifically designed to make my magic useless…” the mage said.

“…Are you all right? Would you… would you like to help us?” Ilyana asked.

“…Of course not… I have to protect Julius… I can help him; I know I can…” the mage said.

“…You’re just saying that, aren’t you?” Ilyana asked.

“Your strength is great… if you could help me get through to Julius, I shall aid your cause with him,” the mage said.

“Great! Ike’ll be happy for the help,” Ilyana said, grabbing the mage by the hand.

“…OK. My name is Ishtar, lady of Freege and fiancée of Julius. May my magic serve you well,” Ishtar said.

Ike made his way forward to the next castle, where a smug-looking druid named Julius stood at the gate. He carried a tome in his arm that even Ike could tell was carrying heavy magic, and that wasn’t because of Julius’s confidence.

“Speak, human,” Julius said.

“The name is Ike… and as one of Gharnef and Manfroy’s puppets, I’ll need to take you out. It’s nothing personal,” Ike said.

“Puppet? Foolish human. I am no puppet. Manfroy is MY puppet! I, Loptyr, most powerful being in the world, will crush you,” Julius said. He created four claws, as well as a dragon’s head, all in a dark purple hue. Ike drew the Ragnell, and stared down Julius and the Loptyr dragon. Julius jumped and clawed down with his right hand, causing the two hindclaws to let out massive scratches, and the right foreclaw to slam down on top of Ike. Ike parried with Ragnell, but the Loptyr claw continued to push. Julius pulled his left hand back, pushing it forward, until…

“Keep your filthy summoned hands off Ike!” Titania cried out. She charged forward, slamming Urvan into the claw. The heavy blade pushed against the claw, leaving both of Julius’s hands slamming into Ike and Titania.

“Why won’t you die?” Julius asked.

“We will not die to the likes of you,” Ike said.

“I promised Greil I would keep Ike safe, and that is a promise I am going to keep,” Titania said.

“Worthless humans, the lot of you,” Julius remarked.

“Julius… I know this isn’t you,” Ishtar said, walking up to Julius.

“Ishtar… do you require my touch again?” Julius asked.

“Julius… You know there’s nothing I would want over your companionship. But these are nice people you’ve been attacking. Not just Ilyana and her friends… Seliph and Julia’s group, too. And Teeny. Julius… I can’t sit by and watch you terrorise innocents any longer. If that means I will never get to hold you… the real you… then so be it,” Ishtar said. She clapped her hands, creating a massive burst of Mjӧlnir to blast into Julius, knocking him to the ground. Ishtar ran forward, looking at Julius uncertainly.

“Lady Ishtar… I assure you, I can grant your heart’s desire…” Julius said.

“I assure you, you cannot, Loptyr,” Ishtar said. She closed her eyes, before dropping a blast of thunder onto him. Julius was completely fried in the attack, and Ishtar dropped beside him, her energy spent.

“Um… we’ll press on, all right? Ilyana, you keep an eye on her…” Ike said, before the pair marched forward.

Ike and Titania, in the company of those on mounts, rode on to the next castle, currently overtaken by Manfroy. Manfroy was standing on the battlements, cursing up a storm. He waved his hands around, and summoned a large force. A group of bishops and dark priests formed one part of the batch, while the other was an assorted bunch of people with various scarred and misshapen builds.

“We are of the Lopt. Our mission is grand! We will succeed in our mission or die trying!” the leader of the dark bishops, a man named Veld, said, before firing a blast of something at Ike. Titania stepped in front of it, stone beginning to cake around her body. Ike launched a blast of Ragnell at Veld, sending him fllying into the bishops behind him, before turning to Titania.

“Ike… take… defeat… avenge… find… Elena… Elena…” Titania managed to get out, before the stone about her overtook her.

“Ti… Titania…” Ike said. Titania had always been invincible, in his mind. To see her weakened such…

But now wasn’t the time for such concern. Ike turned, and charged into the castle, striding up the staircases to reach the battlements. He cast only a brief glance to note that the others were engaging with the Lopt and the misshapen ones, before turning back to Manfroy.

“You’re only hope of survival is if you tell me how I get Titania back,” Ike said.

“Oh, I don’t doubt that blade of yours will more than outmatch me. I’m not even going to bother trying. However, you seem to have forgotten something quite important in that deal,” Manfroy said.

“Forgotten? I think not,” Ike said.

“Oh, dear Sigurd… what would happen if I were to die and your friend is still encased in stone, hm?” Manfroy said.

“Gr… Manfroy…” Ike said.

“NOSFERATU!” a voice called out from behind Manfroy. Manfroy’s energy was leeched from him, and he dropped to the ground. The attacker nudged his body off the battlements with her staff. Ike noticed the misshapen soldiers had fallen with him.

“Deadlords… but anyway. He mention something about turning somebody to stone?” the… druid, Sara, said.

“Titania. She’s over by the horse,” Ike said.

“Tch. There’s nothing other than bragging rights in turning someone to stone. I wouldn’t even wish it on my worst enemies. I can cure it, of course…” Sara said.

“You can? Thank you!” Ike said, pulling Sara into a hug unthinkingly.

“Whoa, whoa, back up, buster!” Sara said.

“Sorry… I’ve lost both my parents and both my wives. Titania was like a mother to me… I really don’t want to lose another one,” Ike said.

Both wives? Someone there got lucky… and from that odd look on your face, I’m guessing it wasn’t necessarily you. Well, better get your friend fixed,” Sara said. Ike followed, after accepting he wasn’t going to get where the ‘getting lucky’ thing was coming from.

Everyone gathered around, as Sara stood over Titania. She waved the Kia Staff, and Titania began to receive colour once more. She let out a breath once her stone completely wore off, and Ike rushed forward, immediately giving her a big hug. Titania gasped, before hugging Ike back.

“Ike…” Titania said, before giving him a return hug.

“How sweet… how I hate sweet,” Gharnef’s voice said from behind Ike. Ike turned, and Titania stepped forward, her axe at the ready.

“Why are you here? Are you not waiting at your castle?” Ike asked.

“Well, I got bored of waiting around like a princess, and I saw Manfroy was failing. Figures. So now I’m here, and I don’t think you’ll be succeeding any further,” Gharnef said. Titania charged forward, and slammed Urvan down on Gharnef. As it pushed down on his head, it was Urvan, and not Gharnef’s head, that smashed into pieces. Titania drew back, as Gharnef summoned a group of ghosts to head towards Titania. Ike jumped up, and struck each one with the Ragnell. Ike turned to Gharnef, wary.

“Like it? The Imuhullu tome makes me invulnerable. Nothing but the cursed light of Altea could harm my brilliance!” Gharnef said.

“Altea, hm? Say, would that mean that Crimea’s sacred light might work?” a voice said behind Ike. Duke Renning stepped forward, brandishing a sword. A very familiar sword.

“The Amiti?” Ike asked.

“Well, I was the next in line to the throne, once upon a time. I should be able to wield this,” Renning said.

“…Not the question I was planning on asking… though I really don’t know where I was going to start…” Ike said.

“Question time is later, milord,” Renning said. Ike grumbled at Renning abusing his chance to call him by an ‘appropriate’ title, as Renning charged forward. He reared back, and slammed down onto Gharnef’s head. The blade was pushing down onto Gharnef, pushing, pushing…

Strike.

Gharnef dropped to the ground, his impromptu lobotomy crippling his one strength, and his many other weaknesses began taking over.

“You might have just defeated me… but Medeus will not be defeated with my defeat. You will face him,” Gharnef said, before fading into the dust of the earth. Ike looked forward, to where Medeus awaited.

“Ike… I’m sorry…” Titania remarked, holding the shaft of Urvan out.

“You didn’t know… and besides, I don’t need an axe to remember my father by. That axe has done many things over its life. And besides, when it passed down to my kids, who was it going to pass down to? Even if you try Mist’s kids, I think only Sheeta ever learns axes, and I didn’t get the impression she was doing all that well with it. That’s a generation of sitting on the mantle, there,” Ike said.

“Ike...” Titania said.

“Titania, you can keep that shaft, if you wish. As for me… once this is over, I want to dedicate my life to my daughters. It’ll be Ragnell as the Gawain legacy, not Urvan, but I’m fine with that,” Ike said.

“…You’d have made your mother proud, Ike,” Titania said. Ike smiled, before turning to go and face Medeus.

Medeus was a massive earth dragon, risen from the ground of his keep. Standing around him were four familiar figures.

“No way…” Sothe said. The figures were Dame Mia, Queen Elincia, Priestess Micaiah, and Empress Sanaki.

“These maidens are Gharnef’s one contribution to my efforts. He was a great druid… I think, but he really does screw up too much for my liking,” Medeus said.

“…I will take you down, Medeus,” Ike said. Medeus shrugged, and allowed Ike to perform his Aether strike, slamming into Medeus’s head, and dealing a massive amount of damage. Ike jumped back, watching Medeus calmly recollect himself. He reared back for a massive claw attack, to which Ike took. Ike quickly put the Ragnell into Medeus’s wrist, sending him reeling. Medeus focused, and recovered his scales. He reared back, before chomping down on Sanaki. Medeus roared, his vitality completely replenished.

“Well… that won’t turn out well for anyone,” Renning said. Before Soren could rush to Ike’s side and heal him, Ike found himself facing and parrying the Mia’s blade. Titania tossed Urvan’s shaft into her back, allowing Ike to withdraw to heal his wounds. Jill soared down to replace Ike, thrusting her lance down onto Mia’s body. Mia dropped to the ground, and Jill turned to face Medeus, her wyvern growling.

“No, Jill! Micaiah and Elincia first!” Ike called out. Marcia, Sigrun and Tanith all pulled out their blades, and Sigrun and Tanith shot into the air. Marcia thrust and sliced with the Alondite, going from a low angle so as to startle Elincia away. Gavina, recognising the tactic, shot into the air too, making sure to keep Elincia far away from Medeus. Edward, Leonardo and Nolan all stepped forward, and faced Micaiah.

“Priestess Micaiah… please flee. If you cannot aid us, flee,” Leonardo said.

“Leo, were you seriously expecting that to work?” Edward asked.

“We do as we must, milady. And if that means taking down a being in your image… oh, how I’m going to be reliving this one out of context for years to come,” Nolan said, before charging with Tarvos. Edward jumped up, and created small cuts in the air to send to Micaiah with Caladbolg. Leonardo focused, aiming the Lughnasadh at Micaiah’s heart.

“…” Micaiah was staring at the arrow, something odd passing through her in that moment. Leonardo had loosed the arrow by the time he had noticed it, and it was too late to snatch the missile from the air before Micaiah’s heart was struck. Micaiah blinked, smiling vaguely, before dissolving into dust.

“…What was that?” Leonardo asked.

“I don’t ask Gharnef these questions. Last time I did, he was boasting about it for what felt like an eternity… and we dragons know a lot about eternities,” Medeus said.

“…I’m going to take that as ‘I don’t want to know.’ Nice talking to you, but…” Leonardo said, before pointing the Lughnasadh at Medeus.

“I was wondering why you weren’t getting your death over with,” Medeus remarked, sending a massive blast Leonardo’s way. Leonardo took it, and was sent cascading away. Edward and Nolan rushed over to his side, and Medeus turned to see Titania, Renning and Sothe facing him.

“What’s he doing here?” Medeus asked.

“This,” Sothe said, bringing his knife down into the base of Medeus’s spine, before returning to where he started. Medeus growled, staggering against the pain. Renning charged forward, driving the Amiti into Medeus’s body. Medeus roared, and started ascending. High, high, as high as he could. Which wasn’t high enough to reach Elincia before she could be spotted falling from her pegasus, dust falling from her many wounds as she did so. When her dust hit the ground, so did Medeus, as he returned to the soil from which he came.

Everyone gathered around, and Ike started to reach for his tent. As he did so, he heard a faint whizz, and turned. Titania ran forward, taking the arrow headed for him on her arm.

“Titania… thanks, but really?” Ike asked.

“You must see your daughters… Soren, could you check this out?” Titania asked. Soren started investigating the wound, and Ike was searching the trees. Janaff pointed out the shooter, a sniper named Kleine.

“You may have defeated that… dragon thing, but you are no match for Eremiya’s assassins. Katarina, Legion?” Kleine said, summoning a sage and a berserker. The berserker was promptly joined by about six more.

“Ike?” Titania asked.

“Defend Titania at all costs. Everyone with a sword, deal with one of the Legion. If you don’t, do something about Kleine and Katarina over there. Janaff, if you’d lend me your eyes?” Ike asked. Everyone got to work, Legion adding more and more of himself, and Kleine landing precise strikes. Katarina was focused on Ishtar, and couldn’t contribute to the chaos. Ike turned forward, and Janaff pointed out the last castle to Ike. Janaff descended, allowing Ike to land, before turning back.

“So… you found me,” Eremiya said from in front of her castle.

“Foul trick. But I have learned plenty. I know all about foul tricks,” Ike said. He sent a blast of Ragnell forward, which Eremiya dodged lightly.

“You are an impressive one. But impressions do not always belie the truth,” Eremiya said, firing off a few bolts of light. Ike took them all, staggering to his knees. Fallen in the woods… and the only one who knew where was

Wait. That was it!

Ike let out the loudest sound he could muster. Eremiya approached Ike cautiously, as Ike dropped to the ground, exhausted. Eremiya pulled back, ready to let out a final spell to dispatch of Ike, when she felt a pair of talons in her back. Ulki pulled them out, and allowed Eremiya to fall.

“That was a good move only on parchment,” Ulki remarked, before picking Ike up and dragging him to the castle to claim it as their own.

Ulki returned with a more stable Ike, and everyone had camp set up. After Janaff and Ulki screened for more assassins, of course.

“That was a hectic round…” Titania said.

“But it’s all over. We can get back to looking for Elena,” Ike said.

“I can sense them… they’re approaching… oh, for crying out loud!” Leanne said, again lapsing into Ancient Speech. Ike and Titania jolted up, and looked around. There were blasts of something being fired.

“This… doesn’t look good,” Soren said.

“Are we in any condition to do anything about it?” Titania asked.

“Probably not,” Soren said.

“But we have to… I don’t want it to be Elena in there, fighting for her life, and I’m sleeping off some light magic,” Ike said.

“Ike… we don’t know what condition Elena might be in. She might be fine, but if we give her something else to worry about, her defence might fall to pieces. We might as well have remained and healed,” Soren said.

“But what if she’s been injured? What if someone’s been killed? What if a lot of people have been killed, and Elena’s fighting on her own… what if she’s already dead?” Ike asked.

“Elena was doomed to be stubborn, what with you as a father and Mia as a mother… very well, Ike. We will send a small party of capable fighters to the aid of whoever fights there,” Renning said. Ike nodded, and began picking out helpers.

Chapter 22: Hero of Another Story

Holus, Spirit of Light, offers her talents to Dame Elena, but in vain. Pyres is quick to manipulate Emilyn to turning Holus over to him, not only giving him the Essence he needs to get ready to level the continent, but also forces Elena to kill Emilyn, a massive blow to both Elena’s firepower and morale.

Now, the group travels across Tellius, on the guidance of Penelopy. Her sense for magic grows mighty around the Begnion/Gallia border. Everyone can sense an odd presence gathering around this area… as if it is time for a grand meeting.

Elena was hanging towards the back of the pack, letting Livia lead the march. The blood of Emilyn was still on her Wo Dao… literally. She hadn’t taken the time to clean it. She wasn’t sure if it was just sentiment, or if she believed that leaving Emilyn’s blood there would allow her to be restored to her former condition.

Not until you are forced to kill the person you love most… Not until you've watched their life slowly bleed away, and know in your heart you were the one to cause it. And, until that time, you do not know my burden.

Elena came to a stop, fresh tears in her eyes. Emilyn loved her… Emilyn loved her with everything she had… and she… and she had killed her. She pulled out the Wo Dao, looking at it thoughtfully.

Keep hold on those you hold dear… Without them… there is nothing left…

“Dame Elena,” Eliwood said simply, nudging his horse to ride beside Elena’s. Elena quickly sheathed the Wo Dao, Eliwood sighing at its bloodied blade. That was terribly hard to wash out of a scabbard. But he wasn’t here to berate Elena for improper treatment of her sword.

“Sir Eliwood,” Elena said simply.

“Elena, I know how you feel,” Eliwood said.

“No, you don’t,” Elena said.

“Yes… I do. It was during the Campaign of Fire, just after I had claimed the Durandal,” Eliwood said, giving the sword a pat. “Roland had told me that there would be a price. I thought I was willing to pay whatever price it was to kill Nergal. But I wasn’t… just outside that cave was a dragon. A beautiful ice dragon, with a pale turquoise sheen… I didn’t know dragons could be friendly. I slew it with a single stroke. And then Nergal came. He explained everything… why Ninian or her brother Nils had to open the Dragon’s Gate. Because only dragons could do it… I hope you can see where I’m going with this…” Eliwood said. Elena turned, to see Ninian laughing with Penelopy.

“She’s…” Elena said.

“Braimmond had something to do with that. He came and revived her so she could calm the dragons that escaped the Dragon’s Gate. But I will never forget that day… blood soaking Ninian’s dress… the terror on Nils’s face… Lyn and Hector’s distress…” Eliwood said.

“How did you…” Elena said.

“I had a mission. I had to defeat Nergal at any cost, all to make sure he didn’t engineer any funny business like this again,” Eliwood said.

“…I have one, too, don’t I?” Elena asked.

“Elena, Beth is unfamiliar with Tellius. Sure, Livia can show her a map, but it’s only with the guidance of those from Tellius that we can do anything. You may not know it, but you command respect of some sort from everyone in this army. Your companions who remain in the Circlet believe in you. I don’t know the fine details of a knight’s code of honour, but leaving your sister in danger is almost definitely breaking that code,” Eliwood said.

“What use do I have of honour? What respect do I command? I have wounded our own. I have killed our own,” Elena said.

“Never on your own terms. Berserk staves can make even the most loyal of brothers fight to the death. I… I know a man who killed his betrothed under the influence of one. And we all saw what happened when Emilyn died. Even though yours was the killing blow, you did everything in your power to try and save her life,” Eliwood said.

“I…” Elena said, uncertain of how to form her next idea.

“Ells! There’s trouble ahead!” Livia called out.

Elena ran forward, to the head of the party, to see a pompous-looking fellow sitting ahead of them. Elena took a look at him. His name was Lekain. The name sounded familiar…

“Hello there, cute girl. So what leaves you walking through Tellius these days? Shouldn’t you be at your home, with your husband protecting you?” Lekain asked.

“Sexist pig. You’ve said three sentences and I’m already pretty sure you’re either a Deadlord or as good as. Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, can we get to the battle?” Elena said.

“Oh, you will be getting a battle started… but I’d rather not get my hands dirty,” Lekain said. He pulled out a crossbow, and pointed it. He fired, a bolt lodging itself into Janiyah. Livia turned to Janiyah, watching her. Janiyah clawed at her breast, nudging the bolt out, but it was too late. Janiyah fell to the ground, on all fours. Her beast form was pulling itself to the forefront.

“Janiyah…” Livia said, as Janiyah looked up at Livia’s face. She snarled, and leaped forward. Livia hurriedly braced her arms, and Janiyah knocked her to the ground. Livia narrowly dodged a bite to the neck, before Wright shoved her off.

“Penelopy, quickly!” Wright said. Penelopy nodded, and started singing the Galdr of Rebirth. She got only halfway before Ninian gently stopped her. Janiyah pushed Wright off herself, and slashed at Wright’s face. Livia hurriedly healed the wound with a tentative measure, before turning to Lekain in horror.

“You… you would attack us with our own? That is not only barbaric and cruel, but it is also in poor taste! Under the circumstances, I would never even consider calling it clever, especially with my sister so affected by this,” Livia said, before casting her twin blades Sol and Luna.

“Attack. I don’t fear you,” Lekain said. Livia faltered, as Elena jumped in her direction. She emerged on the other side, holding down Janiyah. Aderyn added her weight, as did Kezhda. Livia looked into Janiyah’s eyes. Her mismatched eyes were bright, still apparently recognising Livia, but only barely. Livia turned back to Lekain, brandishing her Ӕther tomes, magic flying around her.

“I can sense it… two conflicting forces…” Leanne said, looking around ahead. Ike urged everyone forward, knowing that one of those forces was Elena. And she was in trouble.

“I knew it… Ulki, if you can hear me, bring everyone here. It’s Elena!” Ike said. He had left Ulki, a capable fighter, behind deliberately for just this reason.

“Who might Elena be?” a voice asked. Ike stopped, and saw a bishop warp in front of them. Ike didn’t recognise him by sight, but he vaguely recognised the name.

“Duke Numida! Come to pay for your crimes again?” Edward asked. Leonardo fired a Lughnasadh shot before Numida could respond, a shot that Numida blocked with a ball of light.

“Foolish Daein scum… do you really think you can harm the lords of Beg-urk!” Numida said, before Sigrun had charged in and grabbed him by the collar, pulling him into the air.

“I don’t know how you came back to this world, but I’m not going to sit back and let you tarnish Begnion’s reputation again… scum,” Sigrun said, before tossing him to the ground. It didn’t kill him, but whether that was mercy, extended torment or bad luck on Sigrun’s part, even she didn’t quite know. Tanith and Marcia were just staring at her.

“Did you think I was incapable of getting mad?” Sigrun asked.

“No,” Tanith said.

“Yes,” Marcia said.

“Numida… tell us what you know about Elena!” Ike said.

“Dame Elena is currently engaged with Duke Lekain of Gaddos. Lekain has created a staff capable of driving the target berserk… she won’t win,” Numida said. Nolan cleaved down on him, and Ike turned to see Ulki already behind him with everyone else.

“A Berserk staff… this can’t end well. Everyone charge, but watch Elena’s allies carefully,” Ishtar said.

“Berserks manipulate the mind of the target and make them attack anyone in range, friend or foe,” Anna added.

“…Let’s go,” Ike said.

“Give me back my sister!” Livia yelled, firing blasts of ӕther all around him. Lekain took a few, before waving his staff and dissipating the spells. Lekain then proceeded to pull out a staff. Livia didn’t recognise it, but Elena did.

“Yune!” Elena yelled out. Lekain swung with his staff, knocking Yune to the ground. He stabbed with the point, hitting her in the chest and sending her to her knees. He swung overhead, knocking Yune out cold, dropping her to the ground. Livia yelped, and rushed forward. Lekain chuckled, and waved the Berserk staff, afflicting Livia. Livia’s eyes rolled around, as she glared daggers at Lekain.

“What are you looking at me for? Enemy’s over there!” Lekain said. Livia paid him no mind. She reared back, massive blue flames surrounding her hands. A gigantic blue dragon burst from her chest, shooting up into the sky, forming an odd pattern, before dropping down onto, and through, Lekain. Lekain started wheezing and swaying, before two spears caused him to drop. Sigrun and Tanith approached Livia, before she turned, fury in her eyes and ӕther in her hands. The two pegasus knights bowed backwards, as Natasha rushed forward to cast Restore.

Livia blinked, and looked up at Janiyah. Penelopy, Ninian and Leanne were singing and dancing the Galdr of Rebirth, restoring the twists in her mind that drove her feral. Livia shook with the thought, before dismounting her pegasus and running up to Janiyah. Janiyah accepted her hug without a second thought, both stroking each other’s hair and back, wordlessly communicating their fears.

Before blinking twice and turning back to Sigrun, Tanith and Leanne. An awkward silent moment proceeded, as a group followed the whitewings out from the bushes. Crimean Knights. Dawn Brigadiers. Begnion Pegasus Knights. Beasts of Gallia. Birds of Serenes.

And in front of them all, Sir Ike Gawain.

Elena was caught staring for a few seconds, not believing her eyes. But Leanne helping Janiyah proved that these were no Deadlords. Elena dismounted, and ran to Ike as fast as she could, giving him a massive hug in spite of herself. Ike grunted, before returning the hug. Taking Elena’s cue, those in Elena’s party found their parents or friends in Ike’s party, and took the time to reunite, also partly to take their eyes away from the intimacy of Elena and Ike’s reunion. When Ike let Elena go, she stepped back, calling her horse over for support.

“Livia?” Ike asked.

“Here, Father,” Livia said, curtseying. Ike smiled, and pulled her into a tight hug, too. Livia looked taken aback for a second, before accepting her hug. Ike was sure to let go sooner than for Elena.

“So… you girls have been getting better since I saw you last,” Ike said.

“I found some Ӕther magic. For some reason, it only works for me… and it’s so effective,” Livia said.

“Tormod knighted me to try and give our army a morale boost. It also probably helped get that lot with us. I’ve also learned some new combat tactics from Lady Lyn and the Sacae,” Elena said. Ike turned to the remaining party, the Einherjar.

“So… which one of you is Lady Lyn?” Ike asked. Lyn stepped forward.

“That would be me,” Lyn said. Ike gasped as he looked at her. She had an air of familiarity about her.

“Do you… remember seeing me before? Maybe fighting a prince…” Ike asked.

“…I had a vague dream about something of the sort, yes. It was dreaming about Beth, that, then dreaming about Florina. Why, were you there?” Lyn asked.

“Yeah… but I’d guess I’d better leave it… so who exactly are you all?” Ike asked.

“We are the peoples of Magvel and Elibe, continents that have never interacted with each other or Tellius before today,” Ephraim said.

“But Pyres has summoned us here for seemingly unknown purposes… but his leeching off our mages has given us a fair hint,” Roy said.

“He wants to destroy your continent… and I don’t suspect we’ll be left alive afterwards,” Eliwood said.

“…Makes sense. You have served my daughter well… I will be honoured to add my forces to your own, and we will take down Pyres together. And then we will discuss what happened to your continents, and figure out if and whether to fix it. Also, Roy, this is the third time I’ve had this feeling, but have we met?” Ike said. Roy looked closely, before shaking his head.

“Not unless you’re Uncle Hector,” Roy said.

“Hm… first Marth, then Lyn, now you. There’s hardly any reason to it… oh well. Elena, care to fill me in on what you guys have seen… especially since I don’t see Emilyn anywhere?” Ike asked, looking to Sigrun and Tanith. Sigrun was kneeling before Tormod, but Tanith was looking around desperately.

“Father… Emilyn’s dead,” Livia said.

“What? No! What happened to Elena? She’d never let Emilyn down!” Ike said.

“…Ike… Pyres was making mages into Spirit Charmers. Four from their continents, one from ours. Lute was forced to kill the man who was to propose to her. Ewan was up against his teacher. Raigh… I don’t think Raigh fought his brother, but he might’ve, and I really don’t care about him. Nino was assassinated by her lover. And Emilyn… I lost Emilyn in trying to save her from Pyres,” Elena said.

“…That Spirit… he’s been killing our guys, too. Mia, Elincia, Micaiah, apparently Sanaki-” Ike started

“We saw that one,” Livia said.

“That’s her accounted for, and he also was responsible for getting the Feral drug into Skrimir, Tibarn and Naesala,” Ike said. The rest of the Circlet turned to him in shock. Yune had lost her mother. Aderyn and Penelopy had lost their fathers. Janiyah was quickly realising her soft fur was going to need to be a pillow for everyone else, especially since Ranulf’s still felt bad, and Lyre was watching him.

“Pyres… he… he…” Elena said.

“I know, Elena… he’s going down,” Ike said, pulling Elena into his arms again. Lyn walked up, stroking Elena’s arm.

“Ells…” Lyn said. Elena turned to her, a smile behind her tears.

“My daughter must trust you a lot, Lyn. After this is over, depending on how things go… I’d like for you to continue to be a companion to my daughter,” Ike said.

“Wow… but…” Lyn said, turning to Florina and Beth.

“They can come, too… Lyn…” Elena said. She let go of Ike, and walked over to Florina. She gave her a deep hug, and Lyn and Beth quickly joined in. Ike gave a smile, before looking around at the place. He got everyone to work setting up camp, so that they could all relax and tell their stories.

Chapter 23: Dragon's Gate

Dame Elena and her father, Sir Ike, have reunited at last. Elena still remains distraught over the loss of her friend, but with Ike’s guidance, she is ready to focus on the task at hand- defeating Pyres. Leanne informs her that Pyres has taken claim over Goldoa Castle. Realising the very real chance that Pyres is using the dragons of Goldoa as a delay tactic, the group rushes ahead, aiming to cause no more heartbreak among anyone else.

As Livia was gliding along the trek, she turned her head down vaguely. Unlike everyone else, she wasn’t chatting with her parent. Instead, she her thoughts were wondering vaguely. She had noticed the change in the light of Elena’s eyes. She realised that Elena might not survive her grief. She wanted, desperately, to reach out to her favoured knight, before deciding against it. She might not have realised what she could do, and a direct confrontation might cause the problem she wanted to solve. She looked towards Wright, who was smiling with his parents. She felt a slight twinge of jealousy that both Oscar and Tanith had made it, but she didn’t consider that Wright’s fault.

“Liv,” she heard. She looked down, and noticed Janiyah had made her way over. She turned briefly up to Ranulf and Lyre, the latter who was still caring for the former’s wound.

“Janiyah,” Livia said.

“Livia… are you all right?” Janiyah asked.

“Of course. Why would I not be?” Livia asked.

“Aside from Emilyn dying and Elena going a little odd… you seem a little… aloof. It just doesn’t feel quite right to me,” Janiyah said.

“Nor to me, sister. I don’t know if I’m grieving for Emilyn with Elena, or I’m just grieving for Elena herself… but I do feel a little down in the dumps,” Livia said.

“…Can I ride double with you?” Janiyah asked. Livia stopped, and allowed Janiyah to hop aboard. Although she had to assume human form to ride the pegasus, she still snuggled closely into Livia, her natural warmth flowing into Livia. Livia was starting to feel a little more at ease.

“Thanks… you know, I really don’t know what I’m going to do without you,” Elena said.

“Crimea and Gallia have a fire-forged alliance. If I don’t make queen, which is becoming less likely by the minute, I’ll be over in Crimea frequently for you, Liv,” Janiyah said.

“Jan…” Livia said.

“I discussed it with Mum and Dad, and they were fine with it. And after all, it’s not just you who likes it when you sleep in my fur,” Janiyah said. Livia began blushing.

The group made it onto Goldoan soil, with Lucita beginning to take a bigger lead. As she walked, she turned to notice something odd in a nearby cliff face. She rushed over, transformed into her dragon form, and pulled at some stones. She stepped back as the mine entrance unclogged itself, and three figures appeared from the rubble.

“Oh my… was there enough air for you?” Lucita asked. Pazu was the first to get to his feet, and when Lucita recognised him, she rushed forward and gave him a massive hug.

“Oof…” Pazu said. The other two dragons rose, and Ike recognised them.

“Kurthnaga? And Nasir? What brings you to the mines?” Ike asked.

“Pazu said he found a big discovery, and we weren’t particularly busy, so we came to assist him. However, the cave collapsed behind us while we were down there. There were a few holes for breathing that we could make, but anything more was likely to lead in us crushing ourselves,” Kurthnaga said.

“You poor thing… Pyres got here, too…” Lucita said, stroking Pazu further. Over the horizon, the faint roars of dragons were audible.

“…Not good,” Lucita said nervously.

“They’ve already got Goldoa… this’ll be tough,” Ike said.

“No problem for my dad, though!” Elena said.

“Nor you, Elena. Anyway… Livia, I feel as if this belongs to you,” Renning said, holding out the sacred blade Amiti. Livia took the blade, and felt its heft. She smiled as it waved about nicely in her hand.

“The sacred blade of Crimea… only those of her lineage are able to wield it,” Renning said.

“I… I understand… but I have my own swords. Amiti is not meant for my hands. Elena, you need a spare sword?” Livia asked.

“Wo Dao, Sol Katti… probably not of Crimean lineage… don’t really need it,” Elena said.

“…Nevertheless, Livia, it belongs in your hands. It won’t be long until I retire, especially since I hear Elena has the potential to defeat me,” Renning said.

“…I accept, Renning,” Livia said, clipping the Amiti to her hip for the time being.

“Now… let’s go have a look at this dragon situation, shall we?” Ike asked.

The place just outside Goldoa Castle was crawling with dragons. Not just dragon laguz… there were a fair smattering of manaketes, too. The dragons in the party were staring in horror, recognising a handful of familiar faces amongst the crowd.

“Dragons… he’s pulling out all the stops…” Elena said.

“Ells, we need to rush you to Goldoa Castle,” Livia said.

“The position will allow us to defend with only a few bodies as the rest of us confront Pyres,” Beth said.

“She’s got the right idea, Elena. Goldoa Castle could easily hold off a dragon. After all, who did my father expect to come up against it?” Kurthnaga said.

“Then it’s settled. Livia, Lyn, Beth, Florina, and Dad, you come with me. We make for the castle as fast as we can, defeating whoever stands there and setting up a defensive position. Everyone else, advance as quickly as you are able, engaging with dragons only when necessary, and wait for the all clear to come to the castle as quickly as possible,” Elena said. Lyn nodded, and Florina and Livia began loading up their pegasi. Ike was lucky enough to fit on Livia’s pegasus, but Elena decided it might be better if she slipped with Florina’s.

Fae looked around, pulling Idoun through the mess of dragons. Fae was terrified of them. Idoun was less so, but Fae didn’t want her bumping into one.

*Bump*

Fae fell to the ground, pulling Idoun with her. Fae looked up, to see a tall man with a long beard standing over her.

“Oh… hello, little one! What brings… oh,” the man said, the kindly impression he was starting to build up fading as he stared at Idoun.

“What… problem?” Idoun asked.

“A War Dragon… you poor thing. Best to kill you now, before you cause too much mayhem,” the man said.

“No! NO! I won’t let you hurt Idoun!” Fae said.

“Step aside, child. I will protect you,” the man said. Fae stood firm, transforming into her dragon form, before letting out a massive burst of flame. The man shook it aside, as Fae reverted.

“A Dragonstone… Child… may I take this, please?” the man asked, taking the Dragonstone from Fae. Fae started lunging forward, but the man pushed her aside. Fae started crying.

“...You give me a strange feeling… I don’t like it. I don’t like you,” Idoun said, transforming into her dragon form. The man held Fae’s Dragonstone up, only for it not to work. The man looked at it in shock, before Idoun let out a massive burst of breath that vaporised the man where he stood. He collapsed into ashes, which dissolved into dust. Idoun scooped up the Dragonstone, and passed it back to Fae.

“Yay yay happy! Idoun’s there for Fae!” Fae said.

“…For Fae…” Idoun said, smiling slightly. Fae jumped into Idoun’s arms, and Idoun gave her a hug. She’d been practicing the move quite a bit.

Eliwood and Hector were pushing along one front, escorting Ninian behind them. Ninian had a little discomfort among the dragons, but Hector needed only brandish Armads to give them pause. One dragon, however, did not. An ice dragon stood before them, growling oddly.

“I’ll stop it!” Hector said.

“No… that’s Nils!” Ninian said.

“Ninian… even if it was Nils, it would only be an image of him created by Pyres,” Hector said.

“I know… Nils! Nils!” Ninian cried. Confusion appeared in the dragon’s eyes, and it lowered its head to face the three. Hector let go of Armads, sinking it into the dirt and leaving its shaft in the air. Ninian approached the dragon, holding her hand forward.

“Nils… I know you’re all right… you wouldn’t harm us, would you?” Ninian said.

“I… I can’t hold it… much longer…” Nils’s voice echoed in Ninian’s head. Ninian stepped back, looking at the rest of Nils’s body. His claws were clutching, his wings were twitching, his eyes were crossing.

“Nils!” Ninian cried out.

“Hector… Armads… quicky!” Nils called out, looking at Hector, and launching a small dust cloud. Hector stepped back, before the memories of the Fire Dragon shot through his mind. He clenched his hands around Armads’s shaft, before pulling it from the ground. He whirled it above his head, before jumping over Ninian and slamming into Nils’s side. Nils let out a roar, before sinking into the ground, into dust.

“Nils…” Ninian said.

“I… I did it…” Hector said.

“Lyn would be proud if I could convince her it happened. Let’s go!” Eliwood said, rushing along. He pulled Ninian onto his horse, stroking her all the while. She continued to mutter ‘Nils…’ over and over.

Eirika and Ephraim pushed along one edge, looking around as furtively as everyone else. There were no dracozombies (at least, none that they could see), so their Siegmund and Sieglinde weren’t entirely reliable- they might do bonus damage, they might not.

“Well well… doesn’t this look fun?” a voice asked. Eirika turned, to see Lyon making his approach.

“Lyon? Wha… what are you doing here?” Eirika asked. Ephraim turned.

“Lyon!” Ephraim said, Siegmund drawn. Eirika held out her arm in pacifism, looking at Lyon in shock.

“Wha… how did you get here? I thought Pyres was only summoning dragons!” Eirika said.

“Tee-hee… you seem to believe that I’m actually Lyon,” Lyon said. He raised his robe dramatically, causing purple thunder to strike. Eirika and Ephraim dodged, and turned to face Lyon. He had completely vanished.

“…Lyon?” Eirika asked.

“Why would Lyon be here?” a voice said. Eirika turned, to see L’Arachel approaching.

“L’Arachel! Lyon was just here… he fired at us, and then he vanished,” Eirika said.

“Really? Well wasn’t that rude of him. Well… come along, I suppose,” L’Arachel said. Eirika made to move, but Ephraim stopped her.

“Don’t you trust me?” L’Arachel said. Eirika noticed it, too, in that instant. It wasn’t L’Arachel’s voice she was hearing… it was an imitation, made by a male reaching a female pitch. She kicked herself for not noticing her friend’s different voice sooner.

“Who are you… Lyon?” Eirika asked.

“So you’ve noticed? Then I’d best quit the subterfuge while I’m ahead…” L’Arachel said. She vanished, and a red-headed boy stood leaning on a tree to Eirika’s side.

“The name’s Xane. I’m what they call a ‘chameleon’. Long story short, I can turn into other people!” Xane said. He disappeared, and a pegasus swooped down on Eirika. Ephraim quickly lunged forward with his lance, disrupting the attack of Xane’s Tana form.

“Normally, this works best when I’m turning into people in front of me, but I just felt like having a little fun and using the memories of your friends,” Xane Tana said. Eirika noticed the difference in her voice, much like L’Arachel’s. Tana disappeared, and Eirika turned and struck Sieglinde into Xane Seth as he formed.

“Wow, you’re good… or learning my patterns. Time for me to get serious,” Xane Seth said. Eirika heard the slight difference in Seth’s voice, as Xane reverted. He stood in front of Ephraim, and performing a small dance. Standing in front of her was Xane Ephraim. Up close, he really did look like Ephraim himself did.

“Like me, huh? This is how I play,” Xane Ephraim said. Eirika could not notice Xane’s voice under Ephraim’s, and Ephraim’s gasp suggested he couldn’t, either. Xane Ephraim lunged forward with a Horseslayer, knocking Ephraim off his horse. Before Eirika could lunge after him, Xane Ephraim bent down, grabbed Siegmund, and turned to Eirika.

“Xane!” Eirika said.

“Why did you think I copied Ephraim, sis? Lances beat swords. Though I do prefer copying girls,” Xane Ephraim said.

“Xane… that doesn’t matter! I will defeat you!” Eirika said. She lunged forward with Sieglinde, which Xane Ephraim lightly stepped aside. Eirika felt the resistance of a scrape, but not enough. Xane Ephraim lifted Siegmund, before descending on Eirika. Eirika was struck in the breastplate, and knocked to the ground. Xane Ephraim stood over her, one horse hoof on Eirika’s wrist. Eirika bit her lip, trying to weather the pain.

“This is so fun…” Xane Ephraim said, before he let out a whoof. Ephraim stepped back, his strike clear. Siegmund had dropped slightly, it’s point falling closer to Eirika’s throat. Eirika looked around. No way was she reaching for anything, and the only thing within kicking distance was Ephraim and Xane Ephraim’s horse.

“It matters not whether I can emerge from this victorious… as long as I can take a single life, I can crush the morale of your commanders!” Xane Ephraim said.

“I cannot allow that,” a voice said. Xane Ephraim looked up, to see a girl on a pegasus approach him. She looked familiar to Xane. After all, he transformed her.

“Lady L’Arachel…” Xane Ephraim said, before shaking himself.

“That is my friend you currently have. This is quite unacceptable,” L’Arachel said.

“Well… what are you going to do about it?” Xane Ephraim asked. Eirika felt the pressure on her wrist slacken, and a pegasus appeared over her. Tana had apparently crashed into Xane Ephraim, knocking him over. Tana made sure to grab Siegmund before it dropped onto Eirika’s throat.

“Presumably, I could pull that off, but I really could not submit myself to that,” L’Arachel said. She strode forward to Xane Ephraim, just as he reverted. Xane quickly did his dance, turning into Xane L’Arachel. Tana spun her lance around, before tossing it into Xane L’Arachel’s breast. Xane dropped to the ground, turning into dust. Tana scooped up her lance, before she and L’Arachel rushed to Eirika’s side.

“Are you all right?” Tana asked.

“I’m… I’m fine…” Eirika said, but Tana and L’Arachel made sure to give her an extra tight hug. Eirika felt at more risk of dying then, but was grateful all the same.

Myrrh was looking around, terrified. There were no dracozombies. Myrrh didn’t recognise any dragon she came across. She was nervously repeating both facts in her mind as Saleh escorted her through the field. Myrrh was bumped into, and she looked around for the culprit.

“Um…” a voice said from the ground. Myrrh looked down, and recognised a little girl with a nice tiara.

“Oh, hey there. Are you lost?” Myrrh asked.

“We can care for you in this army, if you so desire. You need not fight, even!” Saleh said.

“Oh… uh…” the little girl said, before a strange light overtook her eyes. Myrrh pushed Saleh back, holding her dragonstone at the ready.

“Who are you?” Myrrh asked.

“Chi… Ti… ki… crush… eh… ne… me…” the little girl said. She shook herself, before transforming into her dragon form. Myrrh held out her own dragonstone, facing down Tiki. Saleh made to step forward, but Myrrh’s tail pushed him back some. It was clear as to Myrrh’s intention.

Myrrh started with a tremendous claw swipe, followed by a tail whip. Tiki retaliated with her own blasts of breath, sending Myrrh back. Myrrh shook herself, and growled. She reared back, and let out a massive burst of flame. Tiki reappeared amidst it, shivering. Myrrh reverted, stepping forward, before Tiki let out a burst of breath, knocking Myrrh to the ground. Saleh used a staff on her, before using Fimbulvetr to freeze Tiki solid, followed by a blast of flame to shatter/melt it. Saleh turned back to Myrrh.

“Will you be OK?” Saleh asked.

“I… I hope so…” Myrrh said.

“There’s no reasoning with these creations… best to get to Goldoa Castle before that happens again,” Saleh said.

Livia dropped Ike in front of Goldoa Castle, before turning to fly back to Florina. As light as the four girls were, there were still four of them, and they weren’t flying the best. Ike faced down the manakete standing in front of Castle Goldoa. Standing beside her was another woman, bearing a lance and looking more the part of a dancer than a manakete. Though manaketes transforming did mean they had no need for war gear. Ike checked their names: Corrin and Azura.

“Well… Ike, the Radiant Hero of Legend…” Corrin said.

“Corrin, Lady of… you’re after my time, aren’t you? So why do I feel like I know you?” Ike asked.

“I have enlisted your services in the fight against Anankos. From the look on your face, I think you definitely don’t remember that…” Corrin said.

“…Enough recognising. It’s time for our duel. I need to get to Pyres, and stop his genocidal rampage,” Ike said.

“I refuse to be swayed by your claim that Pyres is a genocidal madman. I will stop you here,” Corrin said, raising her hand. It turned into a long spear. Azura began chanting and twirling, water flowing about her hands as she sung. Corrin began slashing away at Ike, each stroke coming before Ike had felt the clang of his own parry. Several strokes had nicked at him, but no real damage. Corrin switched to her sword, a long blade coated in spikes.

“Like it? This is the Omega Yato… the Fire Emblem,” Corrin said.

“Seliph mentioned something about the Fire Emblem having great might no matter what shape it takes… but don’t think the might of the Fire Emblem name is enough to defeat me!” Ike said. Corrin performed a great overhead strike, which Ike blocked with the Ragnell. Corrin bore down, the Omega Yato’s spikes spinning around it faster and faster. Ike felt Corrin put more and more might into it.

In every battle that mattered in my life, I’ve always emerged the victor, no matter how slim the chances!

This battle had to be important… Ike was fighting for the safety of his continent! He couldn’t fail his daughters…

A lightning attack swung from one side, into Azura. Azura’s song hesitated a single beat, but that beat allowed Ike to push the Omega Yato from himself, and step away from Corrin. Corrin growled, and transformed into a silver and black dragon. Azura continued singing, and Corrin slammed down onto Ike. Ike felt his surroundings vanish, at least in his mind’s eye, into a barren grey field. Corrin and Ike were the only ones left, and Corrin let out a torrential roar. Ike felt himself being blasted away, only to feel the familiar feeling of a pegasus.

“That was close…” Livia said, flying back towards the ground for healing. Beth walked up to Azura, and swung her Levin Sword, taking her out without a problem. Corrin let out a painful screech, letting a blast of water out in Beth’s direction. Beth was pushed back, into Florina, as Elena stood in front of Corrin.

“You have seen two great warriors fall before me. What makes you think you have what it takes?” Corrin asked.

“Courage. After all, is that not the trait the Hero of the Greens possessed? And was he not the one to defeat the forces of darkness?” Elena asked. She put on the Mask of Immaterial, feeling a tremendous ability start flowing with her. She felt as if she could try something with her strikes…

“Livia, Lyn, Ike? Swords?” Elena asked.

“What?” the three indicated people asked in shock.

“Trust me… I hope,” Elena said. Her father, sister and mentor each tossed their swords forward, and Elena caught them. She had split into five, each one wielding a different blade.

“This… is so… overwhelming…” the Elena wielding the Wo Dao said.

“Then don’t focus on it! Defeat Corrin and return to a singular Elena before you lose yourself!” Beth said. The Elenas let out a collective breath, before nodding. The Katti Elenas vanished into the winds, strikes appearing all along Corrin’s sides. The Amiti Elena jumped onto Corrin’s back, and started piercing along it. The Ragnell Elena tossed her sword into the air, and slammed down on Corrin’s head. The Wo Dao Elena remained stationary, looking at the still blood-marked blade. At Ike’s insistence, she had cleaned it, but it still bore some redness that had once been Emilyn’s lifeblood.

“Elena! Don’t linger on her death! Focus!” Livia said.

“She’s right, Elena! Don’t let Emilyn’s sacrifice be in vain! Use what she gave you to be the hero she deserves!” Lyn said.

“Come on, Elena!” Florina said.

“Hesitation is the precedent of all failure,” Beth said.

“Elena… make us proud,” Ike said. Corrin swept the Elenas aside, which they all stood upright, but only just. The Wo Dao Elena raised her blade, and thrust. On cue, each of the other Elenas leapt and struck with the respective talents. Immaterial’s ability allowed her to time all five strikes to hit Corrin at once, sending Corrin falling to her knees. She reverted, and Elena’s copies disappeared, dropping their blades. The Wo Dao Elena, the true Elena, dropped to the ground, Immaterial’s Mask spinning away.

“You… you did well… sorry, Azura… but I guess we’ll be heading back home now…” Corrin said, before fading to dust. Livia and Lyn pulled Elena upright, and Ike knelt in front of her. Elena was out, her eyes shut, but a contented smile upon her face. Lyn clutched Elena, and let a whisper enter her ear, and hers alone.

“One more… that’s all you need.”

Endgame: Enlightenment

Elena’s party has defeated Corrin and her dragon forces. Now, all that remains is what is inside Castle Goldoa. Pyres is inside, channelling the Essence he has harvested to lay waste to Tellius. He must be stopped at all costs.

Elena awaits her final confrontation.

Elena awoke uncertainly in Lyn’s arms, with Livia, Ike, Florina and Beth surrounding her. Ike stated this was one of the royal suites of Castle Goldoa, and Pyres was gathering power only in the massive throne room. Elena could sense the magic flowing through the castle.

“When do we fight him?” Elena asked.

“We were waiting for you to wake up. Everyone else is nearby,” Ike said.

“You can take on Pyres. I know you can. Your mare is just outside… she’s ready to join you,” Livia said.

“My mare… Emilyn…” Elena said.

“Elena. I want you to listen to me. Pyres is the last obstacle in your path. Once he’s gone, we can see what we can do about Emilyn’s shell. Who knows… she might be restored to normal after Pyres goes down. You just need to defeat Pyres…” Lyn said.

“Lyn…” Elena said.

“Come on. Are you ready for the fight of your life?” Lyn asked.

“…I will be,” Elena said.

Elena led her entire force into the throne room, where she was surprised to learn they fit comfortably. Pyres was sitting on Kurthnaga’s throne, the Fire Emblem affixed to the wall above him. Pyres leaned forward as Elena made her approach.

“Pyres, Spirit of Ignis… you have gone too far. We are here to stop you… and I promise you we will,” Elena said.

You? Do not think I wasn’t watching you prepare inside these walls. You’re still bearing the thought of the woman who loved you… the woman you loved, Pyres said.

“I will not deny the truth in your words, fiend. Emilyn didn’t just mean the world to me… she was my everything. I will not let you killing her go unavenged,” Elena said.

And then what? What will you do after you have vanquished me, child? Pyres asked.

“I have Lyn and Livia. And Father. I will make it my duty to protect Queen Livia. I am a Knight of Crimea,” Elena said.

Truly… Pyres said.

“We will stop you today, Pyres!” Lyn said.

“How ironic… did you not create our likenesses to assist you, fiend?” Beth asked.

That’s right… I did. That’s where all my Essence went… well, I’ll be needing that back, Pyres said. Beth’s eyes widened, and everyone looked around. Lyn looked at Elena, the pair of them staring into each other’s eyes, trying to remember the other. As Lyn looked into Elena’s eyes, she noticed a small flicker of flame reflected in one…

That’s it!

“Everyone from Magvel or Elibe! … or Jugdral, I suppose. Find someone with your spirit. With your Essence. When Pyres pulls the plug, go towards them. As quickly as you can. Don’t stop until you enter their body!” Lyn said. Everyone let out a shocked gasp, but there was no time for another plan. Pyres had raised his arms, and everyone was fading into a rainbow of colours. Elena reached out, and grabbed Lyn. Lyn’s green Essence absorbed itself into Elena, and she noticed the Mani Katti appear at her hip. Long orange gloves and boots appeared on her, and her long blue hair was tied up into a ponytail. Elena looked back, to see her army halved. However, many of those who remained were bearing traits of those who were absorbed… and their weapons.

“We may be fewer… but we’re not weakened! As one, we will defeat this last foe!” Lyn Elena said. Everyone raised their weapons or their fists. Elena turned to Pyres, and shot a fierce glare. Pyres jumped off the throne, and shot the glare back.

Pyres began the fight by expanding to a tremendous height, and approaching Elena. Elena was not deterred, and shot forward, striking several times with the Sol Katti. Each strike knocked a clump of Pyres away, creating several smaller Pyreses which ran forward to strike the rest of the party. Hector Ike slammed down on one, but the other three evaded the half-hearted shots of their assailants. Pyres spun around on the spot, creating more mini Pyreses in exchange for some of his height. Everyone gasped, and ran forward. Beth Livia created her Sol and Luna blades, creating cuts in swathes of mini Pyreses. L’Arachel Leanne added her magic, defeating a small few. Innes Rolf focused, and shot a few of them dead. Pyres opened his mouth, and absorbed the mini Pyreses into himself, becoming larger once more.

“He can only duplicate so much! Charge! Charge with all we have!” Livia exclaimed. Pyres growled, and created two long needles with his hands. He bowed down, and started stabbing furiously. From his height, he couldn’t quite reach Livia, but did manage to grab Seth Janiyah and Tana Aderyn. Elena growled, and jumped into the air, the Sol Katti saving Janiyah, the Mani Katti saving Adeyrn. Elena dropped to the ground, and charged, both Kattis and the Wo Dao diving in and out of Pyres. Mini Pyreses were forming all around him, and with Livia’s observation in the open, everyone was diligent about striking each one and destroying it. Pyres spat out a stone Pyres-shape. Gonzales Pazu punched it open, and everyone cleaned up the Essence of Pyres it exerted.

You… you… Pyres said, before transforming. He assumed the shape of a massive beast. Ephraim Ranulf jumped forward, Kezhda and Lyre following him. Pyres jumped into the air, before slamming down, causing the throne room to tilt. Those on horses found themselves losing their mounts, while the rest of the footsoldiers merely struggled to regain their footing once the throne room returned to normal. Pyres almost immediately curled up and extended as quickly, shooting spikes out underneath himself and under the cats. Lyre lithely dodged, while Ranulf and Kezhda were knocked back. Lyra growled, and charged, biting into Pyres and causing wisps to be knocked flying. Pyres groaned, and Janiyah shot forward, adding her own bites. Mother and daughter nodded to each other, before creating a massive strike with their claws, knocking Pyres back.

How… how dare you? Pyres asked, before changing, instead, to a set of weapons. A sword, an axe, a lance, and a bow. Elena had no doubt that bow would have as many arrows as it needed to be a gigantic pain in the rear.

“Mages, you know what to do,” Livia suggested. Ishtar Ilyana prepared a massive thunderbolt, destroying the axe. Idoun Kurthnaga and Fae Lucita both let out their breaths, banishing the sword and the lance back before Cecilia Mist and Saleh Nasir could destroy them. However, before Guinivere Soren and Lilina Tormod could fire at the bow, destroying it, the bow got off one good shot. Livia was torn from her pegasus, and she dropped to the ground. Elena turned to run to her side, before Pyres let out a burst of flame behind her. Elena turned, to see a form of gigantic pillar with arms facing her down.

“Natasha, L’Arachel, whoever you are, help Livia!” Elena shouted, turning to Pyres. Natasha Bastian rushed up, waving his staff. Leanne looked around, not knowing what to do, before some of the other sages took pity on her and rushed with their staves.

It doesn’t matter that you have eluded my power. You will meet your end here, Dame Elena of Crimea, Pyres said.

“Oh, I don’t doubt that,” Elena said. She shot forward, striking the thing with the Mani Katti, before jumping back with the Sol Katti in hand. She waved it across, one swipe and then the other, and thrust with the Wo Dao. Pyres reared back, before slamming down into the ground, a massive strength pushing Elena back. She got back to her feet, glaring at Pyres. She raised her arm, feeling a tremendous weight pulling it down. She realised, with a start, that she probably wouldn’t survive this fight. Surprisingly, she didn’t mind it. She was going to see Emilyn again.

“Elena! Now isn’t the time! Just one more push!” Anna Yune’s voice said in her ear. She felt a vitality flow through her, and Elena looked up. Over Pyres, to the wall above her.

That’s it!

Elena rushed forward, jumping up into the air. Pyres created four small objects to shield himself from Elena’s blow, a blow that was never to arrive. Instead, Elena used his arms to gain purchase, jumping from Pyres’s summons to reach the Fire Emblem. Pyres growled, and shot forward a wreath of flame. Elena drew the Wo Dao, and drove it into the wall, pushing into the Fire Emblem. A rush of bright colours overtook her vision, before black filled it out.

Elena awoke to see white. Plenty of white. She looked around, her vision returning to her slowly. Her vision sharpened, and

Hello! someone said. Elena jumped. Emilyn was kneeling before her, beaming wildly. Elena gasped, and looked down at her body. Untarnished. Not even her clothes were torn. She did, however, notice that her gloves, boots and ponytail she got from Lyn had disappeared.

“Am… am I dead?” Elena asked.

No, not yet. That comes later. This… is the Chamber of Spirits! Emilyn said. Elena looked around. It was a relatively barren, white place. She turned completely, to see a small pool, surrounded by arches. The only speck of anything. Emilyn led Elena across, where Elena eventually saw five people surrounding it. They seemed to pop in, as if her presence somehow made them tangible. Each wore a long robe of a different colour (blue, green, white, black and brown). They wore gloves and boots of their colour, and around each neck was a golden necklace with something odd inside it. Elena turned to Emilyn, and noticed she had the same outfit, but in red. Elena’s gaze lingered, allowing herself to take in Emilyn’s bared chest, before turning back to the others.

You… Never mind. My name is Runa. However, outside of this realm, you might know me by another name… Holus, the girl in white said. She had a sense of charm and spunk around her… not entirely unlike Elena herself, to be honest.

“Runa… Holus… which do you prefer?” Elena asked.

Runa. The name only applies here, in the Chamber of Spirits, so I’d like to use it as much as possible, Runa said.

You’ve done so much for us… you’ve been so brave… the woman in black, Elissa, said. She had a shyer air… suprisingly alike Livia.

Being tricked by Owan… that was awful. I can’t believe our trust in him… after all that has happened to us… he just abandoned it, Shan, the man in green, said. He looked aloof, a bit like Aderyn, but to a greater degree.

But it’s over now… and while it was nice, meeting those Charmers, I don’t think we can even get them back, Yulie, the woman in brown, said. Her toughness was very much in Janiyah’s style. Elena nodded vaguely. Lyn would never come back. Elena wasn’t surprised, but it still tore at her to hear.

But enough about us. Dame Elena, you are entitled to our wish reward, for helping us with Owan, Mauro, the man in blue, said. A wish?

“…Wish?” Elena asked.

Yes, Runa said simply.

“Well… I know what I want. But I don’t know if it’s possible. I wish everyone who Pyres… Owan killed could come back. They… they didn’t deserve to go,” Elena said.

Naturally. However, we cannot grant that desire, Mauro said.

“I… I know,” Elena said.

It’s not the reason you think. Owan was doing something we had agreed would not be done, but he was in the right. Tormod Laguz still has not received reparations for his crime, Shan said.

“And… you want the continent thrown into chaos for it?” Elena asked.

Oh, heavens, no! Just one. I think you can tell who, Yulie said, nodding beside Elena. Elena turned to Emilyn. It was sinking in, just how much Emilyn resembled the other Spirits here… and her necklace… just like the others…

“…Pyres?” Elena asked.

Please. We do prefer our first names in the Chamber of Spirits. But… yes, Ells. I am Pyres the Second, Emilyn said. In that moment, her hair, the reddish hair she inherited from Tormod, began flowing as if it were aflame.

“Em… does this mean I will never see you again?” Elena asked.

Of course not. That is… if you wish to see me, Emilyn said.

“I… I’d like that. I really wish I could. But I don’t think that’s… considering I still have to uphold my knightly honour for Livia,” Elena said.

…You don’t have to, Emilyn said.

“I… I don’t?” Elena asked.

You didn’t die when Pyres struck you. You didn’t die when the power of the Fire Emblem shattering so close to your body pushed past you. You are alive. However, that truly is quite the fall you had. No one would blame you if you were to… succumb to your injuries, so to speak. We could return you to Tellius, to defend Livia from all who seek her harm… to rejoin your sisters… or you could stay here, where you’re always welcome in the Chamber of Spirits… your legendary pursuit of Pyres has already secured some of the highest honours the afterlife can bestow, Emilyn said.

“…I could?” Elena asked. She looked into Emilyn’s eyes. Fire was blazing inside them… but even deeper, in Emilyn’s soul… Elena found her answer. She took in a breath.

“Thanks for the offer, Emilyn. But I have a duty. And I shall not stray any longer,” Elena said. She didn’t want to break Emilyn’s heart. But from the look in her eye, Elena knew she didn’t.

Great… now, your wish? Holus asked. Elena turned to Emilyn.

“I wish for a reason to live. I want someone who can help me when I’m feeling down… if I can’t have Emilyn… then…” Elena said.

…I understand completely… very well. That can be arranged, Elissa said.

Now that that has been settled… you shall be returned to Tellius, Runa said.

Goodbye… Ells, Emilyn said.

There will be an epilogue chapter.

Epilogue: Elena's Wish

“Elena? Elena?” a voice asked. Elena was stirring still in her bed. What a wonderful dream she had been having… what was it about?

“Elena! You’ll be late for training!” Mia’s voice echoed again. Elena sat up, rubbing her head. Something had felt a little… off. She wasn’t sure what it was yet. But she wasn’t getting back to her dream any time soon.

“Elena?” Mia asked again.

“Coming, Mother!” Elena said, quickly getting herself into her training gear. A good knight was always five minutes away from being ready. She descended the stairs, looking around. Mist looked over her shoulder.

“Oh… you’re up. ‘Bout time!” Mist said, finishing up her meal of eggs, and putting one onto a plate for Elena. Elena took it, and looked around. She was wolfing down the egg. She must’ve been hungry.

“So, when’s training?” Elena asked.

“Well, apparently, you’ll be practicing your bows, and Rolf wants to do it early, so as quick as you can, I suppose,” Mia said. Elena nodded vaguely. The main training for the Knights started later on in the day, and not having the threat of a stray arrow seemed wise.

“Well, I guess I’ll see you later, Mother,” Elena said, finishing up her egg, and walking out.

Elena walked up to the armoury, looking for her bow. She grabbed one under her portrait, which was now beside her parent’s. Odd. The bow in her hands also felt somehow familiar. It made sense- her bow should always be familiar. She looked closely. She noticed a fine finish on it, much like the Sacaeans use.

Wait… Sacaeans?

She started looking around, confused. The Sacaeans weren’t in Tellius… wait… if the Sacaeans were here… then didn’t the war with Pyres kill her mother?

Elena looked around, her head awash in new thoughts. She turned around, to notice a pile of books in one corner, beside some pegasus tack. Livia. Alongside the vanguard’s gear was also a marking that belonged to Kalen and Wright. And beside her gear was a familiar sword… the Mani Katti. Or at least, a blade that looked much like it.

“Elena? Mia told me you weren’t looking that well…” a voice said. Elena froze. She recognised that voice. But how did it get here…

“Ells? Are you all right?” the voice asked again. Elena turned slowly, to see Lyn standing at the door, her bow in her hand.

“Lyn? How… how did you get here? How are you still alive?” Elena asked.

“Still alive… Elena, are you feeling OK? Do you want to hang back from training today?” Lyn asked.

“…I think I should… I don’t know what’s going on…” Elena said, putting her bow back.

“Well, I’ll go tell Rolf. You go look for your sister. I hear she’s not busy with the Queen at the moment… she seemed a little feverish, too,” Lyn said. She unstrung her bow, and put it beside her Mani Katti. Elena watched her do so, confused, before rushing to go find Livia.

Elena knocked on Livia’s door, and Livia invited her in. Elena entered, and it wasn’t long before her vision was clouded by Livia’s green hair.

“Elena! You’re awake! You’re awake! I was so worried you died!” Livia said. Elena gave Livia a few pats on the back, but her thoughts were racing.

“Livia… what happened?” Elena asked.

“Well… you’ve been out for a while now… I don’t think it was longer than a day, but it was still plenty of time. Sometime after Kalen sunk his lance into Pyres, there was this white light, and then… then we were here at Melior. Some of us, anyway. Just those who live here. And then Aunt Mia and Mother were here to greet us… you were in my arms. And there was Lyn, to put you up to rest,” Livia said.

“…So they could’ve restored everyone… they did restore everyone…” Elena said.

“We haven’t received word from anyone else. It hasn’t been long enough. But I did send messengers to Yune, Tormod, Janiyah, Aderyn and Kurthnaga. It might be that everyone’s back… even Emilyn,” Livia said.

“She’s not back… she’s gone. She’s gone for good,” Elena said, wanting to say it and never have to say it again. Emilyn was gone.

“Gone? Why… because you took her Essence?” Livia asked.

“No… she’s become a Spirit now. They had to have her replace Pyres’s position. And… her disappearance is Tormod’s punishment for breaking his pact in the first place,” Elena said.

“WHAT? But… but Emilyn didn’t do anything… and how do you feel, Elena?” Livia asked.

“Penelopy mentioned something about first-borns being a usual target for steep prices in fairy tales… but that… as for me? I’m torn inside. I saw Emilyn while she was in the Chamber of Spirits… she asked me if I wanted to die…” Elena said.

“What?” Livia asked.

“Apparently, I could’ve died after destroying the Fire Emblem. I could’ve died and stayed in the afterlife, and kept up my contact with Emilyn. But I chose not to. I am a Knight of Crimea, and it is my duty to defend you… and taking one’s own life brings great dishonour to one’s name,” Elena said.

“Elena… I’ve got Wright. I’ve got Great-Uncle Renning. You could’ve died and no one would’ve noticed it was a suicide. You could’ve lived… well, sort of, with Emilyn forever,” Livia said.

“And abandoned you. And abandoned the Circlet. I would’ve known… and that burden would’ve stayed with me forever. When I die for real, which I hope is in old age, I’ll be able to return to the afterlife… and Emilyn’s one of the afterlife’s most powerful beings. And the other Spirits at least tolerate me. I’m sure all I need to wait is another three or four decades and I’ll see her again,” Elena said.

“Ells…” Livia said, before giving her another massive hug. Elena smiled, before someone else knocked on the door. Livia invited them in. Elena turned. ‘Them’ was Lyn.

“Lyn…” Elena said.

“Ells… how are you feeling?” Lyn asked.

“Better now that I’ve had a chat with Livia. The one thing I still don’t get… is why you’re here…” Elena said.

“Ells…” Lyn said, before pushing in to give Elena a hug herself. Elena felt a lot of unsaid things flow into her, and Elena went to put her arms around Lyn. Before she was able, Lyn went up to her cheek, and gave her a kiss.

“Lyn?” Elena asked.

“Come on, Ells… I like you, and I don’t want to see you all sick and confused. Would a walk cheer you up?” Lyn asked. Livia’s eyes widened, as she realised what Lyn’s purpose was. Elena smiled at Lyn.

I got everyone back and a reason to live? The Spirits must’ve really liked me… or Emilyn insisted.

The next year passed calmly for Elena and Livia. With the mystery of the continent solved, the two could assimilate into the new lives that had been constructed for them by the Spirits. Come the next year, and the Circlet had come to meet once again in Melior, now that events had calmed down somewhat. To Elena’s surprise, she also saw Kanvar and Zard arrive. She smiled as the group sat down within her new office: specifically procured for the Circlet’s meetings, and given to her with the idea that she’d use it once the title of Commander of the Royal Knights formally passed to her. Elena looked up, to notice Kalen, Wright, and Lyn sitting there, too.

“Not really a Circlet meeting, is it?” Elena asked, flushing slightly. Lyn’s smile was really striking a nerve into her.

“I found it prudent that I come here to discuss Daein. I suggested everyone else come to round out how to discuss the Spirit War,” Kanvar said.

“Wouldn’t Yune be fine for the Daein thing?” Elena asked.

“Oh… haven’t you heard? I’ve been chosen as Empress of Begnion, now that Emilyn’s gone,” Yune said. Only Livia and Lyn noticed the very brief flicker of grief that crossed Elena’s face.

“Why you?” Elena asked.

“Apparently, Micaiah was next in line for the title after Misaha’s assassination, but blah-blah-blah, matriarchy, voice of goddess… seriously, Sanaki, Kanvar’s the first born! Why didn’t you pick him? He’d be better than me in every way dealing with Begnion’s windbags!” Yune said.

“Anyone who spends enough time in your presence is going to lose that windbag-ness. And that’s what Begnion needs,” Kanvar said.

“…Eh, I don’t care. They keep a tighter hold on their valuables. That’s why I stay,” Yune said.

“…O…K… and you, Zard?” Elena asked.

“I’ve been looking after Aderyn. Tibarn was a little suspicious of me, but he warmed up to the idea in the end,” Zard said.

“Nice to hear. Sounds like you and Aderyn went well,” Livia said.

“What about you, Janiyah? Found any good cats?” Elena asked.

“Never really looked. I… I prefer your sister,” Janiyah said. Elena raised an eyebrow.

“But she’s engaged to Wright! That reminds me, since you guys are here, you might get roped into setting up the wedding,” Elena said.

“And I respect that. But all three of us know that sometimes, Livia would just rather sleep in my fur than with Wright. It’s an interesting relationship, but I quite like it,” Janiyah said.

“...Penelopy, you haven’t said a word. What about you?” Elena asked.

“Hm? Sorry, I was so enraptured by this book. Seriously, you lot need to pick up reading,” Penelopy said.

“I didn’t know you read,” Livia said.

“It helps me learn more about the world. I’ve been planning on writing about Magvel and Elibe, but there’s not much reason to. Plus, we didn’t learn too much about their culture. At least, certainly not enough to write a book about,” Penelopy said. Lyn cleared her throat.

“…Elena, can I borrow your girlfriend?” Penelopy asked. Elena sighed.

“And what about you, Em… oh,” Elena said. Her grief was much more obvious this time.

“…Elena… we were thinking… and…” Penelopy said, before pulling a small package from her bag. She passed it to Lyn, who approached Elena. Lyn unwrapped the package in front of Elena, revealing a rather cute circlet.

“I remembered you wanted to be the princess, so I suggested that the girls get you the tiara,” Kalen said.

“Well, suggested to me, so I could suggest it to Livia,” Wright said. Elena picked it up, and looked closely at it. Silver, and six small gemstones of different colours around it. Topaz in the front, with ruby, sapphire, diamond, amethyst and emerald going around clockwise. The colours seemed familiar to her.

“We like to call it the Circlet of Tellius,” Livia said. Elena held back a laugh.

“No, laugh, we’re proud of the joke!” Yune said. Aderyn shot her a look.

“The six gemstones represent the six countries. And binding it all is silver. Feminine, with the essence of the moon and tides. It is said to cleanse pain and reflect the soul. I’d say that’s a fairly good representation of what the Circlet stands for,” Penelopy said. Elena smiled, and slipped the circlet into her hair. She touched the sapphire briefly, taking a moment.

“Thank you all, girls. You truly are the best sisters I could hope for,” Elena said. Lyn stepped back, and allowed the girls to shoot in for a group hug.

Elena turned to her room with a smile still on her face. She set her new circlet on the table beside her, before her head hit her pillow and she began to sleep. Somehow, sleep came quicker to her tonight than other nights.

Her eyes opened, and she sat up to look around. It still seemed like night, but there was something off, something… a little dream-like, about her room. She felt someone at the foot of her bed, and she peered into the darkness. Her face was a bit obscured.

“Lyn? Are you all right?” Elena asked.

“Lyn? Oh, right…” a familiar voice said. A candle-like light appeared in Emilyn’s hand, as she let it go above the bed to the side, illuminating the room with a gentle light.

“Emilyn?” Elena asked.

“Of course. You’ve realised that the Spirits granted two of your wishes, right?” Emilyn asked.

“Two? I only made one,” Elena said.

“You said ‘wish’ three times. We have granted all three of those requests for you,” Emilyn said, smiling. Elena’s mind cast back to her time in the Chamber of Spirits. Restoring everyone to life, that had to be number one. And Lyn, the reason to live, was number three. What was number two, then…

And then it clicked.

“Emilyn… you’ve come back?” Elena asked.

“Can you not say it like I came back to life? The Spirits discussed it at length, and we decided that the best way to grant your desire to see me again was to allow you to dream of me once every year, on the eve of your victory,” Emilyn said.

“Em… thank you,” Elena said. She was crying. In joy or in sadness, she wasn’t quite sure. The bed began creaking, as Emilyn moved from sitting to lying in bed beside Elena, slipping one arm underneath her.

“Emilyn?” Elena asked.

“I’m here for you, Ells. I’ll be here for you forever,” Emilyn said.