Knife AMA

Knife

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Roy have any chance in this meta in your opinion?

Q. Does Roy have any chance in this meta in your opinion?

A. No. His neutral is really dysfunctional and that means he lacks the most important trait. Almost nothing he does is safe on shield and that's a big deal. All of his moves are committal and have decently startup (frame 5 inferior Marth jab is his best CQC tool lol). He has nice throw combos, but nothing really at higher percents and in competitive play he is ironically one of the hardest characters to get a kill with. Rewarding him for getting in close with his attacks is nice in theory, but it's still not safe (I really think he should have been designed to be safe on shield with sweetspot). He can't really edgeguard well on recovery on account of his fall speed + bad vertical recovery. He's combo food on account of having no quick start aerial, fast fall speed, and decently sized hurtbox. So basically he fails at neutral, killing, offstage, and disadvantage. The only thing really stopping him from being Ganondorf/Jigglypuff level bad is his great mobility. However, mobility can't completely make up for flaws.

I think he's designed to be more of a casual character, given his raw killing ability and speed. Definitely fun to play. Severely outclassed by the other FE characters though.

Knife, write a wall of text explaining how Alph is best waifu~<3

Cringe

What is your opinion on custom moves?

Q. What is your opinion on custom moves?

A. I'm glad we got to try them out, but honestly I don't think they are good for the competitive scene. It seems obvious that little effort is put into balancing them (there was that one patch that came with the shield stun increase, but it didn't address some of the more polarizing customs). Imagine DK with ding dong and Cyclone Up B. 7 characters don't have any custom moves, it would also be pretty unfair to them (also DLC not getting customs shows how little Nintendo cares about balancing/adding customs). This is on top of the logistical issues they cause (having to unlock all of them, make sets, counterpicking certain sets, and needing to display/look up customs).

Casually I think its ok, but honestly casuals forget customs exist most of the time. Not to mention you have to spend a lot of time unlocking them, and the unlock process is so frustrating since you can get duplicates for days. Nintendo dropped the ball on something that could potentially be really awesome. Hopefully it's implemented better in Smash 5.

Edited by Knife

What do you think of ROB as a character?

Building on this, how should Link deal best with CANCER BOT? Also, who are your top five funny bad characters and why?

One week I did nothing but fiend 5 days straight

ok I see this all the time

What does "fiend" mean in the context of smash? I see it used in like ten different smash contexts, always by Brawl-era players.

Edited by Euklyd

Ok piggybacking off my last question, what kind of buffs does Roy need to become viable?

Q. What kind of buffs does Roy need to become viable?

A. Pretty much anything to improve the stuff I mentioned he was lacking. A safe on shield aerial is a must. A better recovery or double jump would help his edgeguarding game a lot. To deal with shield and help kill better, a throw kill confirm, even a 50/50 would be nice as cliched as it is.

How many secondaries do you recommend having?

Q. How many secondaries do you recommend having?

A. I personally believe that players can only have one main, one secondary, and pockets. Let me define these first and just remember this is defined in a competitive environment. Your main is your character you feel most comfortable using, play the best with consistently, and would use in a blind pick situation. Everyone has a main whether you admit it or not, everyone just has that one character they're much better with over other characters. A secondary is literally your second best character and a failsafe for your main in case you are playing sloppy with them, the opponent knows the MU too well, or it does better in a MU than your main does. Pockets are basically tertiary best and so on (usually really easy to pick up characters), and typically used to to counterpick bad MUs. Not everyone uses pockets, but they can be extremely useful. Let's look at Larry Lurr for a second.

He mains Fox, secondaries DK, and pockets Mario. Obviously we see Larry use his Fox the most, but you might ask "Fox is a top tier and a great character, why use others?". Well he picked up DK for a few bad MUs like Sheik (especially Void's Sheik who can pretty much beat any Fox) and floaty characters that die easily to ding dong. He also has a pocket Mario (he's also had a Sheik and Luigi at some point pre-nerfs) for bad/sketchy MUs for both, we see him go Mario against Nairo's ZSS and Mikekirby's Kirby for example because he believes neither Fox or DK would do well against them.

Good pocket characters:

Mario - Good ol' Mario, has an answer to almost any MU and really easy to use.

Rosalina - Counters Ness/some zoners.

Cloud - Good ol' Cloud, has an answer to almost any MU and really easy to use. Advantage on Rosalina and Sonic.

Metaknight - Counters Rosalina.

Ness - Really easy to use, counters shield heavy playstyles.

Sonic/ROB/Diddy Kong - Easy to use and counters characters with bad approach(forcing) options.

DK/Bowser - Advantage on characters with weak kill potential, counters shield heavy playstyles.

Luigi - Really easy to use, advantage on Diddy, Fox, and Mario.

But to answer the question, it depends on who you main. If you play a top tier, you require less secondaries to cover bad MUs. It also depends on how good your fundamentals are, without them you won't really find success in picking up new characters. For example, Anti is able to play a lot of the top tier cast at a high level on fundamentals alone. For newer/mid-level players, I honestly recommend maining a decently good character and start getting results before you even consider picking up more characters competitively. Developing too many characters at one time slows your growth with one.

What do you think of ROB as a character?

Q. What do you think of ROB as a character?

A. I think ROB is upper mid tier. He has really good kill potential, shield threatening ability, and weight for a Zoner character. Gyro is fast, does a lot of damage, and sets up kills. He would honestly be top tier if it was for some pretty critical flaws: Slow, big hurtbox, bad landing options, bad/subpar recovery, easily pressures, and combo food. I think he's actually pretty balanced, despite how jank it may seem getting killed at 80% with rage dthrow uair. I think he'll only go down in the future, people will figure out how to DI Uair to live better and there isn't much else to do with him other than more Gyro tricks.

Building on this, how should Link deal best with CANCER BOT? Also, who are your top five funny bad characters and why?

Q. Link vs. ROB?

Honestly, this MU is pretty bad for Link. Any zoner that forces Link to approach is bad news, but on top of that he has good killing potential. Link doesn't really have the ability to chase landings hard, or combo hard, or rushdown well either.

Neutral: You have to go to ROB most of the time. Gyro and laser will outrange and outdamage anything you can throw back. You may want to use a combination of Hylian Shield and walk Shield to approach. Zair can be a good poking tool on account of his big frame. Use utilt to set up juggles and don't let him come down. Challenge his Nair with your Uair, you should beat it. Bombs are generally a bad idea because he capitalizes on pull lag, unless you know you have time to pull them (but you might as well be approaching).

Killing: Fair pokes to kill are good, usmashing his landings also work. Dthrow uair works well.

Offstage: His recovery distance is good, but you should still not let him come back to stage for free. Dairing him offstage might be nice, but go for a more consistent option like Nair.

Disadvantage: ROB's edgeguarding isn't too lethal, but be aware of his Dair. His ledgetrapping is much more potent, he can cover every getup option if he get's a Gyro on the ledge. Don't get off the ledge predictably, stall a bit and throw off his timing. He doesn't have too many combos, but getting down can be a nightmare with his Uair (Dair does not beat it). Learn how to DI Uair to live (its really weird, look at Beefysmashdoods video to find out).

Q. Who are your top five funny bad characters and why?

A. I don't understand this question, there is nothing funny about being bad.

ok I see this all the time

What does "fiend" mean in the context of smash? I see it used in like ten different smash contexts, always by Brawl-era players.

Q. What does "fiend" mean in the context of smash?

A. It's just Smash slang for someone who plays a lot of Smash or goes to a lot of tournies, often neglecting real life responsibilities to do so. Used jokingly most of the time.

Thoughts on Bidou technique?

Q. Thoughts on the Bidou Technique?

A. It would definitely improve the metagame if (good) players put more effort into it, but most Smashers are lazy and arguably the amount of effort needed to consistently use Bidou could be spent improving fundamentals. I think Smash 5 will come out before people really get the hang of it lol.

Edited by Knife

Luigi has an advantage against Mario? What is the matchup like?

Q. What is Luigi vs. Mario like?

A. I don't play these characters, but I can share what I've heard from Mario players and some observations, I can see it being slightly in Luigi's favor as of current patch (before it was a pretty good advantage). Players like Ally and Zenyou dislike the MU a lot, Concon has beaten both before. I can see it happening in theory, Luigi has better fireballs, better grab confirms (even post patch), more damage per move, a slightly easier time killing, but has a gimpable recovery and poor aerial mobility to approach/escape juggles. Basically:

+Luigi outdamages and out trades Mario

+Luigi's grab confirms are better, and has jab into grab setups

+Luigi has an easier time killing (bthrow and usmash are stronger)

+Luigi's projectile is better

=Both can nair out of each other's stuff

-Luigi's recovery is worse, though Luigi can edgeguard Mario back pretty hard with cyclone gimps.

-Luigi has issues landing and getting around Mario's Usmash

-Luigi has more trouble approaching if he doesn't have the lead, with worse overall mobility

Compare frame data if you want:

http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Mario

http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Luigi

Smashboards MU discussion (a bit outdated):

http://smashboards.com/threads/world-8-1-mario-vs-luigi-match-up-thread.387200/

Do you prefer 2 stocks or 3 stocks?

Q. Do you prefer 2 stocks or 3 stocks?

A. I had to think about this for a bit. I hate to take neutral stances on stuff because I hate indecisiveness, but I think I'll make this one of my very few exceptions. There are merits to both sides and ultimately neither side is strong enough to take over the other. Let's look at some pros of each (I'll assume Bo3 for both):

3 stock

-Mitigates the influence of rage and related effects like Aura, Waft, Limit, etc..

-The better player wins more often, simply because sample size is bigger and there is more adapting.

-50% more value for the player (going 0-2 in bracket with no games won means you got to play with 12 stocks as opposed to 8 stocks in a 2 stock format).

2 stock

-Faster to run, which leads into quicker tournament times making things like multiple events, Bo5s, and streaming all upper bracket matches possible.

-This might be subjective, but generally people agree that 2 stock is better for viewership than 3 stock. I personally think this is heavily dependent on the stage of a tournament, for example watching 3 stock pool matches are generally going to be even more dragged out, but watching a top 8 of a tourney with stacked talent in 3 stock is better than 2 stock (assuming both are either Bo3 or Bo5). But since pools make up a large part of streams and usually Bo5s are not possible with 3 stock, 2 stock is better for streaming/viewership.

So what it really comes down to is whether players or the other parties (TOs, sponsors, viewers) are more important. I personally think they are equal in importance which is why I can't choose. You can't have a scene without player, but you also can't grow a scene without TO and viewer support. Lots of people will argue that "we did 3 stocks in Brawl, why can't we do it in this game?" You really can't compare Brawl to Smash 4, considering the scene in this game is much much much bigger. Not to understate this, but Brawl Nationals (biggest was Apex 2012 with 400 entrants) are on par with Smash 4 regionals, and even then were run to the limit. What worked in Brawl doesn't necessarily work in Smash 4 just because Smash 4 is so much bigger.

I think it's very likely Smash 4 will continue to nationally run 2 stock since it's already in place and TOs in general don't see a good reason to add that third stock. I do like that Bo5s are really common now and usually extend to top 32, which is especially great in Smash 4 given its counterpick meta potential. If there was a choice between 2 stock Bo5 and 3 stock Bo3, I'd definitely go with 2 stock Bo5.

what do you think of pink falcon?

Q. What do you think of pink falcon?

A. I think Falcon is weird in general, despite color choices. He carries a gun he doesn't use and his racing uniform has a golden nipple plate (why?). Other than that, I guess it's great that he supports Breast Cancer research.

Do you think Yoshi is being slept on in terms of how good he is, or are people just saying that to sound important?

Q. Do you think Yoshi is being slept on in terms of how good he is, or are people just saying that to sound important?

A. I think Yoshi is a very solid character, but has some really bad MU/fundamental weaknesses. MU wise, he loses to Cloud and Diddy, two of the most common characters in the game and as a result is gatekeepered pretty easily. He can do pretty well against a lot of the other top tiers though, but he still has to make it past the Cloud/Diddy wall.

Fundamentally, he loses to shield and that's never a good thing in this game. His regular grab is bad and has low reward. He does have a command grab (the neutral B) that can lead into some pretty decent damage, but it has even worse startup than his regular grab. His Down B break shields, but is react able just like his grabs. He does have some stuff that can pressure shield like spaced Fair and autocanceled Dair (which can break shields), but those aerials still have bad startup. A frame 6 jumpsquat weighs down the startup on these aerials even more. He does have some the best disadvantage breaking tools with the best horizontal aerial mobility and a frame 3 nair, but its not enough to make up for his shield flaw.

I see Yoshi somewhere around where Pikachu/Megaman/Greninja are, in the 15th to 25th range. I live in the same city as The Wall (best Yoshi according to Zero), but I think he could go even further if Wall gets better or a top player picks him up. I think he has potential, he's not trash like he was in past Smash games for sure.

What stages are good for Peach, Palutena, and Rosalina? What stages should I try to avoid?

Q. What stages are good for Peach, Palutena, and Rosalina? What stages should I try to avoid?

A. I am really badly informed on Peach as I've mentioned before, so I'll have to exclude her. Here's what I see as good stages (one's I'd ban) and bad stages (one's I'd counterpick them to) for Palutena and Rosalina, assuming the common 7 stage ruleset. Keep in mind this is also heavily depend on what character your opponent is playing.

Palutena

-Good on Battlefield (for ledgecancelling shenanigans and Usmash works under platforms as a second safe juggle option), Town & City (more ledgecancelling, plus one of Palutena's best kill moves Upair kills well with the assistance of platforms)

-Bad on Dreamland (she get pineappled really easily since warp doesn't stop horizontal momentum during activation) and Lylat (same thing)

Rosalina

-Good on Battlefield (for platform assisted juggles, living longer, and recovering is easy), Duck Hunt (you can camp in the tree when you lose Luma or even go for a timeout, opponent can't easily do the same since your Uair/Luma is disjointed and safe pressure on a tree camping opponent).

-Bad on Dreamland (despite being able to kill with Uair earlier, the ability to get pineappled is really scary), and Lylat (ledge tilting may cause you to miss the sweetspot and SD or recover high and get punished)

Stage bans are generally really player preference, so you might have a good time on Dreamland despite getting pineappled if you're really confident in your recovery ability. In the 7 stage list, stage counterpicks are not really that polarizing either way, not to the level of Melee Marth on Final Destination or Brawl MK on Brinstar is for example.

Edited by Knife