Chart of Popularity/Tournament Results (Smash 4)

Jedi

Smashboards did an interesting experiment recently, in results across 100 events, they marked where characters stood in general player popularity and how much they have succeeded in the tourney scene itself (As of 1.1.5 and 1.1.6 iirc). I hope they don't mind me sharing this, but at least I'll give the credit, Thinkman and Das Koopa

http://smashboards.com/threads/4br-tier-list-v1-0-competitive-impressions.429826/page-442#post-21235085

7ncu7OU.png

Higher they are the more successful they've been in tourney, the more to the side they are, the more popular they are to use.

Very interesting results overall.

Edited by Jedi

I can blame the bad Corrin placements on all of the Corrin mains who use female Corrin for the waifu. Us male Corrin mains clearly get consistently good results.

Nah but for real I'm surprised how low Corrin is on results despite people claiming that they're good including myself. I'm not surprised at the popularity of them though. The biggest surprise here is how high Duck Hunt is on the results section, I wonder if some underground Duck Hunt meta is evolving that like only the 3 dudes who play Duck Hunt know about.

Edited by Batter the Beast

Is the popularity to results thing somewhat skewed?

Does it include like secondary/pockets or only mains?

Since Roy really isn't that popular but a lot of people pocket him lol.

Is the popularity to results thing somewhat skewed?

Does it include like secondary/pockets or only mains?

Since Roy really isn't that popular but a lot of people pocket him lol.

You'd have to look in the thread for that.

It seems Duck Hunt is effective for how few players use him.

I know he's gotten good results in Japan.

Not surprised to see the Miis in last for popularity, but I expected Jigglypuff to be a lot more popular than she is shown to be on the chart. Does the chart only include competitive popularity?

I can blame the bad Corrin placements on all of the Corrin mains who use female Corrin for the waifu. Us male Corrin mains clearly get consistently good results.

Clearly, you have to use both genders equally, have them speak in glorious Hoshidanese, and call them "Kamui" to be good.

Haha, but speaking seriously, I'm surprised that they're lower than I expected.

It's weird that Rufure (Robin) got higher in events... but the again, players got a head start on their skill with the character compared to Kamui.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Not surprised to see the Miis in last for popularity, but I expected Jigglypuff to be a lot more popular than she is shown to be on the chart. Does the chart only include competitive popularity?

People don't use Miis because... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2gziC0Jo6I

...Master Hand left them unfinished.

Jigglypuff is seldom used in tourneys because bottom tier, and she hasn't gotten good results either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

95% of Pit / Dark Pit players also use the other character, in the same way that they are 95% identical. There's little point in including Dark Pit when he would be in the exact same place as Pit.

95% of Pit / Dark Pit players also use the other character, in the same way that they are 95% identical. There's little point in including Dark Pit when he would be in the exact same place as Pit.

He'd actually be higher considering Dark Pit's side B is overall way better than Pit's to the point where most people consider Dark to be the superior choice and better for matchups such as Rosalina.

Nairo for instance secondaries Dark Pit, I don't think I've ever seen him use Pit.

Edited by Jedi

How is Dark Pit better against Rosalina? Wouldn't Pit's Uppderdash Arm be more effective at KOing a lightweight with vertical knockback?

How is Dark Pit better against Rosalina? Wouldn't Pit's Uppderdash Arm be more effective at KOing a lightweight with vertical knockback?

Upperdash Arm doesn't have nearly as much knockback as Electroshock after Electroshock got buffed, and yes as Elie said, Electroshock pretty much guarantees Luma is out of the way.

Electroshock Arm can also KO off the sides as early as 60/70% off a really good read and depending on who your facing, Upperdash takes a fair bit longer to get into kill range.

Arrow curving for gimps, and upperdash is good on stages that have a lower ceiling, as he can still KO off the side decently already, with a fthrow.

Edited by Jedi