(GameXplain's) Paper Mario: Color Splash Developer Interview - Risa Tabata

Busterman64

It also had the amazing thing known as Chapter 3: Of Glitz and Glory. That was amazing.

Ew, no. This part sucked ass. It was super tedious and annoying. I believe I've told you I have this opinion before though.

The train chapter is my favorite part of the game.

Ew, no. This part sucked ass. It was super tedious and annoying. I believe I've told you I have this opinion before though.

The train chapter is my favorite part of the game.

Yeah you have, I just personally love Chapter 3, mainly for the mystery aspect.

Chapter 6: Three Days of Excess and Chapter 4: For Pigs the Bell Tolls are really good imo too.

Then again, I love the whole game.

I think this game looks okay so far. Although this is my perspective from someone who hasn't played any Paper Mario games. I am more of a fan of RPG-ish type games, and I hear that paper Mario 64 and TTYD are more rpg-like than Sticker Star and this game. That's not to say that I would refuse to buy this game, but considering that I am rpg fan I would be more likely to buy a game with more rpg-like elements

The artstyle kind of disoriented me. The game looks pretty good (coming from someone who hasn't played Sticker Star) but I don't know if I'd get it for that reason.

And see, for me, I don't really have a preferred genre. I just need to enjoy the gameplay, mainly. And if the game has a story and characters, I want to enjoy them too. RPG elements or no RPG elements. Though I think I do lean a LITTLE bit more towards less RPG elements.

I enjoyed TTYD for the most part, but I still prefer Super Paper Mario which lacks the turn-based battle system and more traditional partners. It plays more like the usual platforming Mario, just with exp and leveling up. The story is the best I've ever seen in a Mario game too, imo. Tippi and Count Bleck are also amazing characters. Also, it produced my favorite video game villain of all time: Mr. L. <3

Edited by Anacybele

And see, for me, I don't really have a preferred genre. I just need to enjoy the gameplay, mainly. And if the game has a story and characters, I want to enjoy them too. RPG elements or no RPG elements. Though I think I do lean a LITTLE bit more towards less RPG elements.

I enjoyed TTYD for the most part, but I still prefer Super Paper Mario which lacks the turn-based battle system and more traditional partners. It plays more like the usual platforming Mario, just with exp and leveling up. The story is the best I've ever seen in a Mario game too, imo. Tippi and Count Bleck are also amazing characters. Also, it produced my favorite video game villain of all time: Mr. L. <3

the thing is, if battles actually had a proper purpose where if I battled tons of enemies and I actually gained level ups with stat increases then I wouldn't have been so harsh with the system. Sadly that's not the case with this formula.

It feels like playing Fire Emblem where you remove the exp and level up system and made it so that you constantly run away from the enemies and you only gain stats only if you have beaten the chapter.

kingddd, this game has an experience system. It's paint based.

it's severely limited from what we got from the previous games. We had way more options then just hammer paint capacity.

it's severely limited from what we got from the previous games. We had way more options then just hammer paint capacity.

Yes, but HP Up-Hearts will still exist, which replaces an HP level-up. Card capacity and amount of cards per turn can also be increased, which is basically FP. The only thing with no analog is BP.

And admittedly, if the gameplay is fun, I could do it without reward. I would often get into battles in Sticker Star just because I found the battle system so fun.

Yes, but HP Up-Hearts will still exist, which replaces an HP level-up. Card capacity and amount of cards per turn can also be increased, which is basically FP. The only thing with no analog is BP.

And admittedly, if the gameplay is fun, I could do it without reward. I would often get into battles in Sticker Star just because I found the battle system so fun.

That's the main problem. You have to find them outside of battles to actually gain more HP. Sure HP up badges existed in previous titles but you still gained HP by battling and leveling up. So in the end there still is no purpose to actually battle to gain any of the important stats for Mario.

I honestly feel like they should have tooken out battles and just went the Super Paper Mario route and made it more of a platformer with puzzles and let your color powers let you find secrets and goodies(not sure if that is in the game or not, but still wanted to say it just in case) or something along those lines. Battles are worth as much coins you would get in a block and Bosses are pretty much giant drawbridges that require a key(sticker) to lower so you can move forward. Don't have the key, you ain't moving forward!

Look, I'm not saying the game is terrible for being different(because this game looks great and I like the whole color power idea), but if you're gonna go in a different direction, don't add or keeps things that are mostly pointless and pad things out for the sake the of the name. Paper Mario has had RPG elements in previous games, with battles being one of them. However, they were worth the time spent in them in those games(experience, coins, any word that means progression...). They aren't really here now! Battles help you get stronger and Bosses are a test of your abilities and strenght...in an Rpg! This game is far from it, so why keep it in the game?

At least if battles weren't a thing in this game and it was just mainly platforming and puzzles, I would at least feel like it was really trying to be different than all the games before it and stand on its own two feet instead of holding on to things that don't work well for what it's going for and keeping it because "Paper Mario" games have battles in them(I know I kinda repeated myself, but my point still stands)!

Edited by Busterman64

God, do you have to be so ridiculously heavyhanded? We get it. You hate Fire Emblem. Paper Mario has absolutely nothing to do with Fire Emblem.

It's sarcasm, but your complaints are still ridiculous. Even among people who do not like this game, they still praise the graphics and aesthetics. The game isn't even "casualised" when Sticker Star was accidentally harder than the older Paper Mario games anyway.

And as someone who is a casual, I absolutely do not appreciate your suggestions that being casual should ever have negative connotations. I'll enjoy my Sticker Stars and Fates and Animal Crossings and Pokemon, and you can like whatever it is that "hardcore gamers" like.

why do i feel like i just took bait

Not to derail the discussion here so let's make this short, but the reason why I'm so cynical from time to time is actually because I like the Fire Emblem (and Paper Mario) series so much.

I would also appreciate it, if you stopped accusing me of being offensive towards casual players. What I'm not a fan of is making drastic changes with the intention to target a different audience, while essentially ignoring the long-time players. If you knew me well you might actually understand where I'm coming from and that I'm fairly reasonable.

And about your last sentence: "why do i feel like i just took bait", you didn't because there isn't any. It's these subtle accusations.

That's all I have to say, have a nice day.

why do i feel like i just took bait

Because you did; should've just ignored him.

Anyways, I for one think it looks fairly interesting; then again, I haven't touched a Paper Mario game.

I think that's the thing. Like I said earlier, I think it looks pretty decent but I haven't ever played a Paper Mario game. I'm guessing that I would have a stronger opinion if applied to some of the other games? I'm also personally willing to try something new when it comes to changes in the formula for a series... however, apparently this game has a lot of inspiration from Sticker Star, so I can't really say that people aren't giving the game player shot if it's the same gameplay as sticker star. Because it seems like fans of the previous games especially TTYD are disappointed that it doesn't look up to their standards, which is fair.

I think that's the thing. Like I said earlier, I think it looks pretty decent but I haven't ever played a Paper Mario game. I'm guessing that I would have a stronger opinion if applied to some of the other games? I'm also personally willing to try something new when it comes to changes in the formula for a series... however, apparently this game has a lot of inspiration from Sticker Star, so I can't really say that people aren't giving the game player shot if it's the same gameplay as sticker star. Because it seems like fans of the previous games especially TTYD are disappointed that it doesn't look up to their standards, which is fair.

Then go out and actually play the series and form a proper opinion instead of constantly saying this looks kind of cool then. I know I seem harsh but it would be nice if people actually played the games and get a perspective to why some of us are having very strong opinions about it. Derrick from Gamexplain even decided to give the series a chance and now he understands the frustration of the fans and why so many people are upset. Even the Japanese fans are upset and Sticker Stars sold the most in that region too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/papermario/comments/4ofmvg/japanese_fans_reactions_to_color_splash_part_2/

Paper Mario is on sale on the Wii U eshop right now for 5 bucks and the wii version can be easily accessible too for a very cheap price at 10 bucks or so. It was worth the 80 bucks I had to pay back during the N64 days. The TTYD can easily be emulated provided you can get a decent PC rig.

Then go out and actually play the series and form a proper opinion instead of constantly saying this looks kind of cool then. I know I seem harsh but it would be nice if people actually played the games and get a perspective to why some of us are having very strong opinions about it.

I was just giving an outsiders point of view of it, sorry if that has upset you. The PM series is on my backlog.

I feel like if they aren't enthusiastic about paper Mario and feel that the old games are leaving a constant shadow on the new ones then IS should do something else with their minor titles. Paper F-Zero. I liked the original trailers of color splash and am actually disappointed with the last one since it's giving up ground to the old games with the rpg system. I would have been fine if it was a game like Epic Mickey or something and devoted itself wholly to its new mechanics. But instead it looks like its going to be half and half, which usually doesn't end well.

Edited by Reality