Differences between the 3 games. Are they that different?

Super Potat

Haven't played any of the 3 games yet and just wondering if the games actually have that many changes or just a way for Nintendo to earn more money by releasing 3 (similar?) games instead of just the 1

Talking about general story stuff (qualities of stories in each one too, no spoilers), classes (heard there are differing classes in each of the games, not sure if they're re-skins or actual changes in the class mechanics/skills), and possibly if they'res any differences in game play (not including the whole no-grind/grind allowed thing)

Final point is any/more than one of these worth getting?

For all intents and purposes, they are all completely different from each other, outside of being a part of the same narrative.

Conquest is aimed more for veteran players with a difficulty resembling that of the older games, with limited resources and leveling. Its maps and enemy AI require a bit more thought and deliberation. The classes are different but overall they have a their own particular function; you won't miss out if you pick one over the other, however. Storywise, it takes risks but ends up falling short due to character actions, inconsistency and idiocy.

Birthright is similar to Awakening that it is welcoming to newcomers. There is unlimited grinding and the maps are relatively straightforward with little difference in the objectives. The classes take on an eastern inspiration but, again, there is nothing outstanding that makes you lose out if you choose a Conquest class over a Birthright class like mentioned above. The story is fairly straightforward with no other notable elements.

Revelation is the last and serves as a route to merge the other two. You get all the characters and classes from the other two route, save for a couple of characters that don't really impact the story. The plot is regarded as generally not very good on the SF forum but quality is mostly subjective to each person.

If you don't care about the characters interacting with their counterparts on the enemy faction (basically, if you don't care about supports), don't get Revelation. Deciding between Conquest and Birthright is mostly up to you. If you get both, I would play Birthright first as the difficulty curve is not as steep as Conquest's and there is the possibility you will get bored of BR because of that. That's what happened to me when I played through Conquest first.

Overall, Fates is a good game but I wouldn't buy it for storyline. The gameplay is fabulous and the best of any FE, in my opinion, so it does have a redeeming factor in that.

Thanks for the response

Sounds like conquest might be worth picking up when I have the money because with story for me just seems more like a lure to hold on the end of a stick to give me a bit more encouragement to play the game for a conclusion to the events (not that I it hinges on story more that otherwise I may forget about the game due to there being no hook)

Also anyone know if skills are broken in any of the games or infinite leveling allowed in any of them? Because that made the last game super easy

Thanks for the response

Sounds like conquest might be worth picking up when I have the money because with story for me just seems more like a lure to hold on the end of a stick to give me a bit more encouragement to play the game for a conclusion to the events (not that I it hinges on story more that otherwise I may forget about the game due to there being no hook)

Also anyone know if skills are broken in any of the games or infinite leveling allowed in any of them? Because that made the last game super easy

Infinite leveling is technically in all of them due to eternal seals, but in Conquest you're likely to lack the cash to do it without DLC.

Technically, infinite leveling is in the game, but the items that allow you to do so are very expensive (Eternal Seals cost 12k, and they can only be used after a unit has maxed their level).

Revelations reuses a lot of maps from both Conquest and Birthright, with some of the highlight ones being the selected ones. However, the original maps are pretty lackluster in my honest opinion.

On top of that, not counting the pre-decision maps, Plains of Hoshido (Ch. 6) and the Rainbow Sanctuary maps get used in all 3 routes.

I pretty much agree with SaiSymbolic about Fates storyline.

I might add that I found Conquest storyline not so underwhelming like other people did, but maybe it was because I had read other people's comments months before playing the game (...yeah, I'm from Europe) and my expectations were very low. In that sense, I found Revelation to be the most lacking one out of the three (but I did love the supports between counterparts on the enemy faction so, again, it is a very subjective matter).

Like said before, I think it is definitely not the best FE storywise (I liked Awakening much more), but the gameplay is really worth it (and that is actually much better than Awakening) and this is true for all three games (even Birthright which would be the simplier route).

The fact that you found awakening better just exaggerates the bad the new storyline is because I found awakening to be the worst storywise comparitively. This was from the frequent skips and quite poor story writing in general with quantity over quality supports

I didn't mind the stories on all three routes (much better than the way they handle the 3 stories in Awakening) mainly because to me they all fit within what they've set-up, nothing felt out of place to me. Gameplay wise, Birthright is the weakest route of the 3, but still fun. I like puzzles so I didn't mind the later half of Revelation. At least Revelation is worth the money.

None of the paths offer a good story, with Birthright being merely okay.

Birthright- Overall it's a "safe" choice. The story's your typical FE story. The gameplay is simple and suitable for those who are inexperienced with FE. In my opinion it's quite bland but not terrible.

Conquest- The story theme is different but not executed well. Gameplay-wise I think it's quite creative, but also very difficult. I'm currently on Ch.20 and there's really only 2 chapters I genuinely dislike.

Revelation- The story theme is also different, but it just feels... Rushed. It feels as though it goes from the beginning stages to the endgame too quickly. Corrin also becomes the ultimate Mary Sue. Gameplay-wise, it isn't as good as Conquest's and it can be quite gimmicky, but I'll take gimmicky over open-field maps every single time. It's a flawed game, but I think it's getting more vitriol than it deserves.

If you've played any pre-Awakening game and liked them and the difficulty, pick up Conquests. I played it first and loved it.

If you want Awakening 2, pick up Birthright.

I'd only get Revelations after playing both the other two routes. Cross faction supports and building a nice, big post game team are the only reasons to play it.

I'm a die hard FE fan, so I've got all three routes, but I'd suggest shelling out money for more than one after we've played one and decide if you want to try one of the others.

Definitely don't want an 'Awakening 2' game lol could hardly handle getting through the awakening due to the amount of grinding you needed to do if you didn't know how to break the system in the first place which I didn't

Definitely don't want an 'Awakening 2' game lol could hardly handle getting through the awakening due to the amount of grinding you needed to do if you didn't know how to break the system in the first place which I didn't

You hardly NEED to grind in Awakening. It's just something you can do and it's honestly hard to resist the temptation.

In terms of story, I like them in this order: Conquest, Birthright, Revelations.

But since we are talking about differences...

Conquest and Birthright have VERY similar stories. Most things happen the same way, it's essentially one story with a different coat of paint. Kind of a letdown really. Revelation has a similar story to Conquest and Birthright, but super rushed and when the new story content arrives, it becomes different but truly terrible.

Gameplay, Conquest takes the cake. Challenging and has the best map design. Birthright mostly has "okay" maps and Revelation rehashes many of the maps of the two other paths and adds a few of it's own.

Music. Many different themes depending on the route, but Revelation uses most of them anyway and adds a few of it's own.

Revelation has the most characters, classes, supports, My Castle stuff, etc.

Overall, Revelation functions as the "golden route" and rehashes many things while adding more original stuff as well. No one path is truly original, sadly. Also, I think Revelation is the worst, despite the differences.

Lower difficulties of Birthright don't need grinding at all, and even Lunatic can be done without it, unlike Awakening. Grinding is just something available. You can't grind at all in Conquests, without DLC.