Implementing a Fates/GBA hybrid weapon triangle

arkel

Hey all - so in an effort to make weapons interact with each other in a more interesting way on the GBA, I've been thinking about a way to mix in the Fates triangle with the GBA one. What I currently have in my head is:

Sword / Light > Axe / Bow / Dark > Lance / Anima

But I'm honestly not sure where it makes the most sense to stick the magic. Alternatively, I thought of:

Melee (sword, lance, axe) > Bows > Magic

What do you all think?

the last one is definitely a horrible idea. why would you want to use an archer if they're WTD against all melee units?

Why not look at it from a certain perspective.

Light beats Dark and Dark beats Anima, right?

Sword = Light

Lance = Anima

Axe = Dark

Why not see if you could add knives in to the GBA games if you're doing your own hack and have Bows and Knives as equals but both outside of the triangle as they have up until Fates.

It's just an idea. Of course you don't have to use it.

Sword = Light

Lance = Anima

Axe = Dark

I like this idea. Makes magic weapon triangle more relevant (and makes it easier to remember, because the magic and weapons in the same slot have the same general stat profile.)

Edited by sirmola

I like this idea. Makes magic weapon triangle more relevant (and makes it easier to remember, because the magic and weapons in the same slot have the same general stat profile.)

Believe it or not, I noticed that after I suggested it because most often, a Hero is portrayed as wielding some form of Sword of Light (look at Marth with Falchion), most neutral units tend to wield Lances and Anima magic is really just a neutral affinity, then you see Axes being wielded by a large quantity of thugs, brigands and general dicks that are usually portrayed as being very bad people which aligns with Dark magic.

That was essentially my reasoning for the choices but it wound up being how they actually are as well, so that was just the icing on the cake.

The way I have it in one of my projects is Anima = Tomes => Red (Swords), Light = Shurikens => Blue (Lances), Dark = Strones => not in WTA table. Bows => Green (Axes)

The way I have it in one of my projects is Anima = Tomes => Red (Swords), Light = Shurikens => Blue (Lances), Dark = Strones => not in WTA table. Bows => Green (Axes)

i-

Please make a diagram.

i-

Please make a diagram.

I think he means

Swords & Anima > Axes & Bows > Lances & Light

Dark magic lies outside the weapon triangle.

Edited by arkel

This may be too much, but I kind of thought non-ballista bows could have WTA against all weapons. Just as a way to make GBA archers worthwhile without just upscaling their stats, and so that warriors have a good reason to actually raise their bow-level, rather than stick to hand-axes.

I like the idea of blending the trinity of magic with the weapon triangle though. I have my complaints about Fates, but I thought what they did with the weapon triangle was good.