Opinions on that Fire Emblem Fates character #1 - #65 (Check first page)

RoyLKing

Today's characters are Subaki and Hinoka

I decided to make it two characters a day to make this faster, since this'll take a while if we keep with one character.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hinoka

A piece of cardboard. She's got one good line in the entire main game (I can't remember many of her supports since she's so dreadfully dull, so feel free to inform me if she says something nice in one of them) and that's about all that I remember of her. I can't even say "wasted potential" since I don't even know what that potential would be; she dedicated her life to save Corrin, so she's just yet another character that exists to revolve around them. A waste of space and only exists to give Corrin an equal number of siblings of each side so as to not potentially upset the players and make them feel like they're missing out if they only choose one side.

Tsubaki

Another piece of cardboard. I care nothing about this man or his gimmick. He's boring and bland, and I really wish the first male Pegasus Knight in the series had been somewhat more remarkable.

I've heard he's been called a better version of Cordelia, and while I'm not such a big fan of her either, I dislike that Fates, again, feels the need to try and draw parallels to Awakening, rather than trying to be its own thing.

Edited by Thane

Hinoka is a well written character held back by her backstory ultimately dooming her to be a codependent child for the avatar's wish fulfillment and how poorly she is implemented into the plot.

Tsubaki reminds me of Innes. I like his kind of perfectionism; the kind he works his ass off for.

#15) Subaki- The only reason to use him is to get Caeldori. Some interesting supports, that's it really.

#16) Hinoka- She at her most interesting in Conquest, her I felt bad about abandoning on Conquest. Other than that, she has some decent supports, she's a good unit, that's it really.

12) Saizo - I actually don't use Saizo, since I prefer Kagero, so I really don't have an opinion of him, but what I can say, is that his seiyuu is one of my favorites, and if Fates had dual audio, probably I could have used him more, just for hear Tarusuke's voice

13) Velouria - I ended liking her as a unit, and she perform very good in my game (in where Camilla is her mom). But I found her attachmend to her dad a bit weird

14) Fuga - Since he joins very late, I actually didn't had the opportunity to use him, it could have been more interesting to see more of his story, so yeah, the lack of supports affect him

15) Subaki - I never thought that I would end using him a lot in my Birthright file, but it happened and I'm ok with it. He is a bit weird as a unit, and I feel that he did better as a Swordmaster for the time I reclassed him than in his default class.

16) Hinoka - Ooooh Hinoka, she become one of my powerhouse in both Birthright and Revelation! Actually she was my final MVP in my first Revelation file. Very fundamental in my team, but I prefer her as a Spear Master, and I actually like her english voice

Tsubaki

Tsubaki is one of my top BR units. While his main gimmick is being the male version of Cordelia, I do feel that Tsubaki plays the trope a bit better than her. Whereas Cordelia was portrayed as the humble perfectionist that was often misunderstood for being perfect, Tsubaki's perfection, as I've stated on another older thread, sometimes very slightly borders on being a more maladaptive—that is, his perfectionism turns to be a more negative trait. Though he hides relatively well, he is condescending, rude, competitive (which can be a both good and bad thing) and can be egotistical to a certain point. The fact that there is a general explanation for Tsubaki (and even Caeldori) striving to be perfect is something I appreciated; I always wondered why Cordelia was perfect before eventually coming to the conclusion that she was perfect—except in the pursuit of love.

Design, his is in my top 5 favorites. I have a thing for redheads. And purplettes. And pinkettes. His VA did a good job, though, I do find myself leaning towards his seiyuu. As a unit, his growths are odd for a PK but can be remedied by putting him in either the Samurai or Ninja lines.

Hinoka

Hinoka is...my least favorite royal. I'm neutral about her, more or less. She plays little part in the story, which is a shame. I personally thought she would have been a good villain during CQ, along with Takumi but it is never explored. Her supports are decent—my favorite supports of hers is with Hina-bae and Silas. She doesn't seem to get points from some because she sort of neglects Takumi (that support is pretty bad, in my opinion) and Sakura in favor of Corrin, which grinds the gears of many as they don't like Cornbread (I'm gonna start using that).

Her design is standard. I do have a bias for redheads as previously stated. I actually like her VA; I thought the voice fit her well.

Tsubaki is a bit... just there for me character-wise. People compare him to Cords, but honestly they're a lot different than they seem. Cordelia is more humble, and doesn't actively call herself perfect, (She'll take the compliment though) while Tsubaki is very much wanting the praise. I think they also have different enough backgrounds where they don't infringe on each other. They're two very different takes on the same trope. I really need to read his supports more, as the only ones I've really read are with Hinoka and Oboro, both of which were very good and didn't touch much on his "Perfection". Also, his VA is preeetty spot on from what I thought he'd sound like. I feel I'd like him more as I read his supports.

However, unlike Cordelia, he is complete shit as a unit. His stats are so balanced that he can't really do anything of worth. He can take hits, but not too many. He can deal some damage, but not enough to kill. He can double slower units, but anything else will double him. He just ends up in this weird middle space where he should be a jack-of-all-trades, but ends up as complete garbage.

Hinoka is an amazing unit. She is a typical Pegasus Knight, with great speed, great offensive stats, but actually has decent survivability as well. Plus, in BR, she comes in very early game and with one of the best Naginatas in the game. Her supports can be really good as well.

I'm going to be honest, she is one of the voices in Fates that I really, REALLY dislike. Her VA made her sound so emotionless and stale. Her Conquest pre-battle cutscene is the prime example of that. Her VA also does 2 other voices, Peri and Selkie. Figures, considering people dislike their voices as well (Well, I actually like Peri's voice. I think it fits).

Jesus, who do all of these end on a sour note...

Edited by TrueEm

Tsubaki: As a general rule, I absolutely HATE the Cordelia expys in this game. The took what made Cordelia interesting (her fight with PTSD, in my opinion) and boiled it down to the "I'm so perfect" and "why can't I get a lover" tropes and distributed them to both this abomination and his daughter. Perhaps I am missing some context as I haven't delved into all of his supports (primarily due to Azura being a better pegasus knight than he is and thus getting him benched) but the point still stands. Again, it is just my view, and it may be an unpopular one, but it is the one I stand by, and that is that I strongly dislike him.

Hinoka: You know, she had a few good story moments, mostly in Conquest chapter 11 if you send either Corrin or Camilla against her, but otherwise she is just... flat. Really. there is nothing to her character other than "I must swing my naginata to get Corrin back!" There are a few skeletons in her closet, mostly involving questions as to how close she truly is to her siblings (speaking for myself, if my sister and I start communicating with letters and we are not thousands of miles away, then something has gone wrong somewhere), but really, there just isn't anything to her character. Well, I guess she is a redhead and I have a thing for redheads, but that's about it.

TLDR: If any of you have seen that red letter media review of Star Wars Episode 1 where the reviewer does that little experiment regarding how well people can describe the characters without using physical descriptions, then Hinoka (and Tsubaki, come to think) are characters which I can not describe, because there is so little of them to describe. Again, maybe I just need to grind out a few more support logs, but as it stands, I doubt those will end up changing my mind.

(I just gotta say that I love reading others' opinions on all the characters, so thank you all for posting, and to RoyLKing for starting this topic ♥ )

14. Fuga

I really don't have an opinion on Fuga. He seems like a reliable and honourable man, but idk what to say about him. Never used him, and probably won't either.

15. Tsubaki

Kinda lame, tbh. As someone wrote above, it seems like they took Cordelia and removed all her depth and struggles, and then made it into a 'new' character.

He has very odd growths, and didn't do very well for me in his original class, even if he was helpful in the beginning of Revelation (especially on Fuga's map). Maybe he'll do better as a Samurai. However, despite my harsh words, I still want make him useful somehow at some point; I like his personal skill and it feels like he could become very good if only treated right. But, man, idk. He just is not very appealing to me.

16. Hinoka

Her design is great and she is a good and useful unit (if you like pegaknights); her personal skill is awesome, and with the Guard naginata she comes with she can be helpful from the get-go. I used her in my Birthright playthrough (I mean, why not) and she did great as a Kinshi Knight, but she fell behind in Revelation, sadly.

Some of her supports are just depressingly bad, especially the one with Saizo, oh my god.

She is probably my least favourite out of the royals (together with Ryouma). But, that being said, I do not dislike her at all. She is just kind of neutral to me.

Tsubaki

Great design. I was excited to finally have a male Pegasus Knight, but on my first Birthright run I had to drop him when Hinoka completely overtook him. Then I used him in Revelation but he turned out mediocre at best. It's a shame. I'm not a fan of his personality, he comes off as a jerk sometimes, though his support with Niles was pretty funny.

Hinoka

A lot of people hate Camilla for being obsessed with Kamui, but to me Hinoka's way worse. Even still I think she could've been a good character, if she was more focused on being a good commander instead of Kamui's #1 fan. As a unit she's fine, but not my favourite Peg Knight. Overall she's my least favourite royal.

Tsubaki

A husbando. I like him over Cordelia and even Caeldori. Design wise I adore him (redheads <3) and I don't mind his tankishness. Married him in Birthright and I didn't look back. A lot of people say his best wife is Selena but I can't get into it. I prefer his support with Nyx. It talks about coffee, one of my favorite drinks. His perfectionism doesn't really bother me in the same way it bothers me with Caeldori.

ps fuck "subaki" i refuse to call him that

Hinoka

I think about her in that I don't. Such a good design. Does nothing in story. Yawn.

Subaki:

Subaki is that kind of perfectionist I like: someone that works a lot to be able to handle everything, but ends up making mistakes on several things. He can be also proud and arrogant, but that strangely makes me like him even more.

As a unit, he is just overshadowed by Hinoka as a pegasus knight. Tough that doesn't deny the fact that he can be a pretty decent unit

Hinoka

She is a fantastic unit and, when she promotes, destroys everything she touches most of the time.

There is only one problem with her: her personality.

Seriously, there is nothing that I can like or dislike about her, unlike her minor sister or her Nohrian counterpart.

Also, while I appreciated her part in CQ, I hated how she disappears in birthright after the part where you find Ryoma and basically doesn't talk again until the final part of BR.

Hinoka has a great design and I was prepared to become a really big fan of hers before I discovered she was just another face in the Avatar fan club. Not much of my disappointment has been lifted since realizing how flat she was, but I was pleasantly surprised that she doesn't spend all of her supports talking about Corrin. As a matter of fact, she just spends her time doing normal, everyday things and being really nice to everyone. There's still not much defense against her being an wooden character in there, though.

Tsubaki: He is probably one of my favorite character in BR, and certainly one of my most used. His personality is something I really enjoy and he's certainly interesting as a unit.

Can't talk a lot about Hinoka since I barely used her, but I did find her to be rather... dull, at best.

#15: Subaki

I'm very indifferent to him. On one hand, his perfectionist complex is interesting, but also kind of annoying. He's not at all perfect stat-wise, either, his skill and defense being the only two stats with real benefit to me.

#16: Hinoka

I'm indifferent to her as well. She's a much better Sky Knight than Subaki, being speedy and an absolute mage-killer, but she is my least favorite royal. Her personality is so bland compared to the others, but that could be a result of her more limited role in the story. Knowing she was pretty much only created to be the counterpart to Camilla, it's quite tragic, really.

Edited by twistedxgrace

Subaki: Personality wise I like him, just because he does actually have flaws, and they are treated as such by some of the other characters. I'd agree he has a different feel to Cordelia - to me, Cordelia always came across as being initially talented, so everyone puts pressure on her to continue being perfect, and she does her best to live up to that, with the humility kind of being... insurance? Or something? In case she wasn't perfect (it's the impression I got from her conversation with F!Robin, but it strays far into headcanon territory so feel free to disagree). With Subaki, his perfectionism came across more as a front, because he gets really upset when anyone brings up a shortcoming of his. I haven't really seen enough of his supports to know if he is hiding something with it or is just a jerk, but that's the impression I got.

As a unit, yeah, he does have weird growths. I wanted to use him, but Hinoka came very soon after and completely overtook him. I might have to try reclassing him in another run.

Hinoka: Decent as a unit. The guard naginata actually made her my tankiest unit, which was weird seeing as she's a pegasus, but there you go. I couldn't usually rely on her to kill stuff, because her damage output wasn't brilliant, but if I needed any non-archers tanked, she was my go to unit.

Personality wise... yeah. I don't dislike her, but I wouldn't say I like her either. Some of her supports are quite nice, when she talks about her motivations and such, but... she is pretty Corrin-centric. Why couldn't she have been training, not only to save Corrin, but to make sure none of her other siblings could be taken away like that?

Alright, good... we get another royal and a retainer.

Subaki

I'll just say it right off the bat; I think that Subaki gets too much hate. He has some really good supports, and they aren't just good for the character he talks with. He isn't "perfect" so much as he is a perfectionist who doesn't want anyone to see him falter. One sign, for me, that he isn't a terribly written character is that all the S supports I've seen haven't ended with the other character gushing about how he's perfect and all that. In fact, most of the time, the A/S supports revolve around the fact that he's imperfect. It isn't the best writing out there, but goddammit, it's not the worst, considering some of the garbage that's out there.

Hinoka

She gets the shaft end both by the fans and by the main story writers. She only really has a major role in CQ, but most of the time, her involvement revolves around Corrin trying to keep up the facade that he/she and all the other royals are with Garon 100%. And after the fact, she becomes queen of Hoshido, and that's about all we heard. I ran into a semi-canon "conversation video" of a hypothetical situation where Oboro was kept alive and tried to kill Corrin for killing Takumi; in it, Hinoka was trying to reason with Oboro, but even in this fan-made video, Hinoka loses the spotlight, as she was relegated to simply questioning Oboro while she made threats and coy remarks. On a side note, that video actually left a scar in my soul

I feel the main problems are that she has little story significance and her personality revolves around her being the "older sister" figure who cares deeply for her relatives and is a little hot-headed. I actually like her well enough. Whereas Ryoma has mostly text-dump supports (I'll get more into that later), Hinoka has notably less of those and is, to me, more relatable, since she isn't a figure that all the other relatives look up to. I think the fact that she's more average is a nice thing to have, but as has been proven, she is overshadowed by her other relatives because of it. And given that I really like two out the three other relatives, I think it's justified enough.

I got fairly close to talking about Hinoka's retainers. But I gotta keep that little nugget locked tightly up until the time comes. I definitely have things to say about them, though.

Hinoka:

Definitely one of my favorite Royals in the game. She is probably my favorite Royal in Hoshido. Yes, I like Hinoka more than I like Ryoma. She's been great for me through both my runs of Birthright. She's been deadly as both a Falcon Knight and a Kinishi Knight with her Hinoka's Pike (a Guard Naginata +2). As you can probably tell by now, during my second run of Birthright, the Avatar married Hinoka.

So I guess you can tell how much I love this Falcon Knight.

Subaki

I LOVE Subaki! He is a great unit, and while his stats are a bit weird for a peg. knight, I still made him a falcon knight and he turned into a monster.

Hinoka

Hinoka is a pretty good unit! While i do think Subaki is a little bit better, Hinoka has better supports than him. My favourites include Azama, Hinata and Setsuna

Why couldn't she have been training, not only to save Corrin, but to make sure none of her other siblings could be taken away like that?

Read her A support with Takumi. It's one of the few good ones she has.

Yes, I like Hinoka more than I like Ryoma.

I actually do, too. Personally, I think ol' Ryomer's a less interesting Xander, which really is because a sizable portion of his supports are obvious info-dumps. Incidentally, I think his supports with Xander as well as with his son are the best ones. And his supports with the brunette girls he's able to support are nice, too.

I actually do, too. Personally, I think ol' Ryomer's a less interesting Xander, which really is because a sizable portion of his supports are obvious info-dumps. Incidentally, I think his supports with Xander as well as with his son are the best ones. And his supports with the brunette girls he's able to support are nice, too.

I love Ryoma's support with Mozu. Its one of my favorites.

Edited by MeddlingMage

Today's characters of the day are Niles and Felicia, so here's my opinion on them:

Niles: I think Niles is a decent character myself, he's got good design and doesn't have a gimmick to his character (I think), though he can sometimes be annoying with his bisexual aura around him, I liked some of his supports like his conversation with Beruka and Azura (B support), though I need to get more supports to him first.

Unit wise, I really don't have that much to say about him.

Felicia: Even though Felicia mostly just talks about her being a failure as a maid, I never found myself hating her. I like Felicia's design.

Unit wise, I found her useless in combat at first because of that low str stat, but after using the flame shuriken, holy crap is she killing and doubling lots of people, she could still use a bit more defense stats though, but using her is pretty fun.

Niles

Niles is OK i guess.... He is very Hot, but I don't like the sadistic side very much. Unit-wise, he kind of lets me down as well....

Felicia

I'm saying it here and now, I don't like felicia. Her personality is fine, but I played as a female in all my runs. Therefore, I got Jakob, and I LOVE Jakob to death. I also found Jakob way more useful than Felicia, due to Jakob actually having a Str. and Def. Stat. Sure, with a flame shuriken she wrecks shit but even then, that doesn't matter when she dies in 1 hit. She is only useful for healing, and she is the only unit I ended up not using or pairing on revelation.