Am I the only person who didn't enjoy any part of FE14?

Alandrage

The story was just painful to read, the characters were bland and tropey, the protagonist was a whining Mary Sue, and the gameplay just really felt unfun.

I know it's just my opinion, but I at least know I won't be buying another Fire Emblem if things stay like this.

While opinions on story and characters vary, you are without a doubt the very first person I've seen around here (or anywhere else) criticize the gameplay.

Even long time Fire Emblem fans admit that that Fates' overall gameplay ranks among the best in the franchise.

If they do exist, I doubt you'll find people who share your opinion in the Fates subforum.

What specifically about the gameplay made it feel less fun than other FE games?

While opinions on story and characters vary, you are without a doubt the very first person I've seen around here (or anywhere else) criticize the gameplay.

That's not true. While people praise Conquest's gameplay and rightly so, a lot of people, myself included, feel as if though Birthright was way too simple and Revelation's maps were for the most part pretty boring. Then there's the Revelation balance issues, Hidden Weapons being too good, etc, but those are more minor.

I'm not trying to say it's bad by any means, but the criticism is there, and I think the game would've benefited greatly from having more Conquest-like maps, rather than trying to appeal to absolutely everyone. Keep in mind I'm not saying I want to exclude newcomers, just that there are better ways of introducing them to the game than to make an entire game as simple as possible. For instance, with both easy mode and phoenix mode, newcomers have more room for error than ever before in the franchise.

Edited by Thane

You're probably not the only person. It's not a masterpiece. As I've said, the story isn't very good, a lot of the characters are meh, and Revelations was not worth shit.

But for all the negativity and crap I give Fire Emblem Fates, can I say I dislike it? No. I still replay it a lot. And I probably will continue to.

Validation.

Are you going to delete this topic?

Nope.

I'm going to lock it, and leave it visible. This is the wrong way to look for validation, and I strongly suggest using your time to find things that you like, rather than seeking things you don't like. Or, find an appropriate DISCUSSION topic about this. Or, go make your own blog, then you get your own soapbox.

Sorry everyone else, blame TC's motivations.