Could Grinding Be Toggled like Permadeath in Future FE Games?

14 members have voted

1. 1. Could Grinding be Toggled similar to Difficulty and Permadeath?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, Grinding should be a staple of FE
    • No, Grinding should be abolished

So with Fates and the split paths and all, they had each path cater to beginners and veterans of FE, with one of the main difference between them being the fact in Birthright you could grind via skirmishes while in Conquest you couldn't.

Now, they couldn't keep up this split path to attempt to cater to everyone's tastes forever, it would become repetitive fast, which made me wonder; could grinding become an option you choose before you start a new save like difficulty and permadeath?

Personally, I think it could work. Permadeath, a staple of FE, has been optional for a little while now and yeah wjile there was controversy with it, it still made the series less intimidating to the first time player, including myself, so I think it could work.

Edited by CooledEvergreen

Maybe? I mean, IS just needs to limit the number os skirmishes available in a game. I can imagine having infinite skirmishes in easy mode and limited in others.

Grinding has always been optional, so I don't see why IS would make a mode dedicated to the player not being able to grind.

Technically speaking, griding has always been optional.

You can choose not to grind at all in Birthright, and play it like Conquest if you want.

I actually did not think of that at all when I was writing this topic. :facepalm:

I suppose it'd still be nice to have the option, as it can be like a challenge mode so that people like me with weak willpower can't bail out of a challenge run.

Grinding is already optional. Even in Conquest, where its really limited, grinding is still an option with Boo Camp DLC.

If you mean an actual toggle when you start the game, (like Casual/Classic mode) i dont see why not.

I actually did not think of that at all when I was writing this topic. :facepalm:

I suppose it'd still be nice to have the option, as it can be like a challenge mode so that people like me with weak willpower can't bail out of a challenge run.

Don't worry. It can be something that slips the mind.

Problem is, griding by nature is optional.

If it's not optional, then it can't be called grinding. I don't blame for making that mistake though, considering the behavior of some people acting as if griding is obligatory.

Grinding is optional by nature, unless you're playing Dragon Quest and reeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaally need Multiheal for a certain boss (Dhoulmagus is the best example).

It's by no means necessary in Fire Emblem, since the game gives enough EXP to clear as is.

it's already optional. there isn't really a reason to turn off grinding for specific modes

if a player wants to play super hardcore or whatever and feels tempted to grind or whatever, that's on them, not the game

RPGs are by nature made so players can do whatever they want, so limiting options is pointless

Grinding is already optional. Even in Conquest, where its really limited, grinding is still an option with Boo Camp DLC.

If you mean an actual toggle when you start the game, (like Casual/Classic mode) i dont see why not.

Yeah, that's what I meant, I'll edit the poll and title to be a bit more clearer.

Don't worry. It can be something that slips the mind.

Problem is, griding by nature is optional.

If it's not optional, then it can't be called grinding. I don't blame for making that mistake though, considering the behavior of some people acting as if griding is obligatory.

THe reason that people act like grinding is not optional is that some people feel compelled to grind if it is an option. People want skirmishes turned off because of the ever-present temptation to use them.

THat being said, 2 dificulty options at the beginning of the game is already a lot, and potentially confusing to newcomers. I doubt that any more options would be added. I could see it being in the options menu next to things like auto curser, though.

Edited by sirmola

it's already optional. there isn't really a reason to turn off grinding for specific modes

if a player wants to play super hardcore or whatever and feels tempted to grind or whatever, that's on them, not the game

RPGs are by nature made so players can do whatever they want, so limiting options is pointless

Except this is by nature another option for the player to take to suit their playstyle. Sure, you don't HAVE to grind in Birthrout or Revesellout, but some people don't like to be tempted with the option. For example, Splinter Cell Blacklist had an optional difficulty that did nothing but make the game play like a clone of Chaos Theory, which locked some abilities Sam had access to in other modes. Sure, you could just not use those abilities if you wanted a classic Splinter Cell experience, but having a mode that effectively does nothing but cater to people who like a certain playstyle can only be a good idea imo.

Edited by MCProductions

this is technically already a thing, but i still wish you could toggle it on and off.

like what if i wanted to grind in skirmishes, but not in castle battles?

i adore castle battles and i couldn't enjoy them as much on the other routes as i was still getting exp from them when i was attempting to go no grind.

I'd be for it. When I play a game, I want to use all of my available resources to succeed. If grinding is available, even though I'm not forced to use it, I'm still tempted to because it's a resource presented to me. A well tuned game will be suitably challenging with all the available resources, but if grinding is available, I won't know how much I should use to make my game the experience it's supposed to be.

Another argument I'd make is support grinding (this is more relevant for games with a 2nd Gen). What if I don't want to grind exp and weapon exp but I DO want to get those support points? I could do this in Conquest but not in Birthright.

That being said, 2 dificulty options at the beginning of the game is already a lot, and potentially confusing to newcomers.

"Newbies might be confused" is never a good argument. New players can LEARN what these difficulty options mean, and I'd hope they have the capacity to learn, considering they're playing a strategy RPG. Besides, what's hard to understand about "Difficulty level, Permadeath and Grinding"? Unless you've never played a video game before, these aren't difficult concepts to grasp. Even creating your character is more convoluted than choosing between 2-3 difficulty options.

Except this is by nature another option for the player to take to suit their playstyle. Sure, you don't HAVE to grind in Birthrout or Revesellout, but some people don't like to be tempted with the option. For example, Splinter Cell Blacklist had an optional difficulty that did nothing but make the game play like a clone of Chaos Theory, which locked some abilities Sam had access to in other modes. Sure, you could just not use those abilities if you wanted a classic Splinter Cell experience, but having a mode that effectively does nothing but cater to people who like a certain playstyle can only be a good idea imo.

lol

I find it incredibly difficult to take conquest elitists seriously, but okay

lol

I find it incredibly difficult to take conquest elitists seriously, but okay

>Implying I don't make fun of Chromquest equally to those other two.

Sure, I prefer Chromquest as a game to Birthrout and Revesellout, and I do openly admit to being an asshole, but I'd NEVER bash or insult someone for their game preferences.