Do you think FE can try introducing characters based on other fictional/historic figures?

Harvey

Can FE have characters that are actual fictional/historic figurines?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Can FE have characters that are actual fictional/historic figurines?

• Yes
    • No

Some games, anime & Manga tend to use historic figurines like Napoleon or have fictional folktale characters like Sinbad for example and use them as means of incorporating them into the entertainment media.

For example, the Civilization games uses actual historic people like Gandhi. In terms of fictional folktale characters, there's a Manga called Magi: Labyrinth of magic where they use the actual names like Alibaba, Aladdin and Sinbad.

In games, La Mulana uses elements from folktales such as Viy, Lamulanese language etc.

now coming to the point.....can it be a good idea if FE were to incorporate elements from various folktales and Historic figures? The idea does have some potential and can make FE a little more realistic if not then at least make a more serious story.

I can only speak for myself, but I've never liked it when fictional works do that unless there's a very good reason or if it's executed flawlessly. I do not think Intelligent Systems would be able to fulfill either criteria.

Unless a game outright takes place on Earth... no, I don't think they should.

That said, FE has long had made nods to them. For example, Blazing Sword, with Roland and his sword Durandal, both from Le Chanson of Roland. But they're not the actual Roland and Durandal from the legend. I think that's a fine enough practice.

FE soldiers are too polite to be real. :P:

Real talk: The only time I ever liked a character confirmed to be a historical figure is in Touhou (the character being Toyosatomimi no Miko), but I like her reasons other than being a genderflip of Prince Shoutoku, and Touhou's heavily based on Eastern mythologies/legends (and some history) anyway. I don't think it'd work quite as well for Fire Emblem.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

I feel as though incorporating real-world mythology, history, and other cultural figures into a Fire Emblem game would not blend well with the fictional fantasy-medieval type setting the series has built up. The unique worlds of Fire Emblem is one of it's greatest aspects, how it's able to establish its own lore and make it both believable within the game and interesting. Adding real-world figures would take away that uniqueness and connect the FE world to Earth, and would make either the fantasy theme or the real-world cultural reference less believable.

Basing a unique character's personality or role in the story off of say Sinbad or Gandhi is something entirely different, and probably would not have any harm on the story unless they were horribly done as characters. They've already done similar things with the names of some weapons and characters (there's a list of references on the Forest). Doing something like this would help to give a sort of background to what kind of status or role the possessor of the name has without depriving it of its fantasy-type setting.

I suppose the inclusion of historical figures could work in a Fire Emblem game if it was actually set on Earth, but personally, I do not like that idea for this type of game.

Basically what others have said. Fire Emblem has never been about "Earth" and to start now would be really jarring.

They can base characters or story elements on real world things, because real life is...realistic, which makes for good story telling. Example, Path of Radiance has parallels to World War II, but I really don't think we need Hitler to show up in a Fire Emblem game.

Okay, thought this topic was to have characters based on real people. As for the question itself, no, absolutely not. Firstly the history books tell the story just fine, but secondly I don't want to see Self Insert Avatar single handed ly beating Napoleon at Waterloo and then marrying Wellington, having children with him that they shove off into the deep realms. You all know that's what IS would do! On the other hand, I love the idea of characters BASED on historical figures.

Edited by blah the Prussian

I'm pretty much gonna echo the sentiment of, "no actual historical figures, but characters based on historical figures are okay".

Fire Emblem has already paid homage to Minamoto no Yoshitsune in a few of its stories, most notably in the plots of Shadow Dragon and Path of Radiance, and maybe even a few others, as well.

Probably not a good idea to have carbon copies of actual historical figures, unless if this was a crossover with Civilization, Total War, Musou Warriors, or Nobunaga's Ambition, but a bit more nod toward actual history would be nice.

On the other hand if the question was "Do you think Pokemon can try introducing characters based on other fictional/historic figures?", then , yeah, absolutely. I would love to see Kanto/Johto during the Meiji-era, or the Battle of Evergrande during World War 2. Or Kalos set during the Second Empire. Or Unova during the Roaring Twenties.

Edited by henrymidfields

I mostly agree with the fact that the Fire Emblem universe and the real world don't mingle well... That being said, it still isn't out of the realm of possibility, at least to me. Take a look at the Japan exclusive game from the Ace Attorney Series: Dai Gyakuten Saiban. In there they portrayed "Sherlock Holmes and Watson" in a very unorthodox manner. (Yes I'm aware Sherlock Holmes isn't a real historical figure, but that's beside the point) The usually stoic and brilliant detecive is portrayed in a goofy and comical manner, and Watson is a loli girl. (completely rediculous right?) Even so, it worked really well in my opinion. And it proves a great example of how to implement well known characters in a different way than their usual portrayal and with a different life story. They could play the "history is written by the victors" card and show a different portrayal of a historical figure than we're used to and make it endearing. If Fire Emblem somehow can pull something like this off, I'm not going to complain. Although the one problem I would see would be the marriage system, but I'm sure it can be circumvented somehow.... Maybe this comparison isn't really justified since the Ace Attorney and Fire Emblem universe are so vastly different, but I wanted to point out a possibility that might work. Inteligent Systems could've named Arthur Samuel Wilson instead and I wouldn't have minded... I fact I would've found it rather funny. So yeah characters based on historical figures could very well work, with a few creative liberties of course to make them fit in the series' universe.

0cULkzQ.png

Edited by Masterthunderblade

On the other hand if the question was "Do you think Pokemon can try introducing characters based on other fictional/historic figures?", then , yeah, absolutely. I would love to see Kanto/Johto during the Meiji-era, or the Battle of Evergrande during World War 2. Or Kalos set during the Second Empire. Or Unova during the Roaring Twenties.

Well, they've done it already with Pokémon Conquest. Even if it's not their own interpretation, but simply taking Samurai Warriors'.