Reading Character Dialogue

C. Turtle

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you read character dialogue aloud?

• Yes, I try to voice the characters.
    • Yes, but in my normal voice.
    • No, I read in my head.
    • No, I skip over dialogue.

So, I've been playing a few more dialogue-heavy games lately, especially with the new Ace Attorney game just having been released, so I was kinda wondering, does anyone else read character dialogue aloud when playing a game? Personally, I always read dialogue aloud (provided there's no one walking past my door at the time), and I do my best to make a voice that fits the character, though that may just be a habit I picked up from doing Let's Play videos for a couple years. I was just kinda wondering if anyone else did anything similar.

I most certainly would not. Lets players reading the game text to you while playing is actually a gigantic pet peeve of mine. If someone does it I immediately start looking for someone else.

I'm actually somewhat of the opposite. It annoys me when LP'ers tell me to pause and read; it really breaks the flow of the video that I have to pause every ten seconds when the dialogue can be read in the same time. Especially when it is a game they themselves have already played, so they speed through the dialogue.

As for me, yes, I read dialogue aloud.

It could be the RP'er in me, or that I just like reading to other people—or myself. I do it in my own voice, however. The only character I do tend to give a voice to is Prosecutor Payne from the AA series—and I tend to do it without meaning to. I can't help but give him this annoying, high-pitched voice.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

I read the characters silently, but I do give them some sort of personality in my head when I do so.

However, every now and then I do enjoy others reading characters out loud as their own interpretation and in different voices.