Do you like using characters who are not great/inferior to others just to see how they will turn out?

DarkDestr0yer61

Usually I just use whichever characters I like, regardless of their usefulness. I don't really care much about analyzing their progress, unless it's a PMU or something.

All the time! Honestly, where's the fun in just always using only the best characters available? At least, I personally get more enjoyment out of just using who I like, instead of who's objectively the best. I think I've mentioned this before, but at some point I want to do a run of Shadow Dragon where I use only the weird secondary characters of every class (Matthis, Roshea, and Vyland over Cain, Abel, Frey, and Hardin, Dolph and Macellan over Draug and Roger, Tomas over Gordin, Norne, and Jeorge, etc.)

Donnel>Gregor. Also, Ewan is a much better shaman than Knoll is, even with decreased growths on his first 10 levels.

Except, that's just arguing potential > efficiency. "Better" is subjective depending on which one of those two you value most.

To answer the question: only if the 'inferior' unit is at least interesting or has some kind of niche/strength when used/trained. Someone like Matthis is just flat out bad. But units like Meg/FE7!Bartre/Ray/Makalov etc... are at least interesting/unique enough to use and there's some satisfaction to be found in using them effectively.

To answer the question: only if the 'inferior' unit is at least interesting or has some kind of niche/strength when used/trained. Someone like Matthis is just flat out bad. But units like Meg/FE7!Bartre/Ray/Makalov etc... are at least interesting/unique enough to use and there's some satisfaction to be found in using them effectively.

This probably describes my preferences, too. I do like to train up underleveled units (like Fir, Lilina, Astrid or even Nino), but I usually don't bother with units that are just worse than their counterparts even if they manage to catch up in levels, like Matthis or Noah and Treck compared to their respective Chrismas Cavs.

Edited by ping

I easily get frustrated by bad units, but that doesn't stop me from using them and trying to get them to their fullest potential. Sometimes I place some arbitrary rules on myself to make a game more challenging, for example for my Revelations playthrough I banned all characters I previously used in my Conquest and Birthright run. That meant I was stuck with Hana, Mozu, Beruka, Benny and some others. Most of them turned out pretty good though.