FEditor Weird Issues

plusplus

Ok, so the issue is: I opened my hacked ROM (FE8) with FEditor, did exactly nothing in the FEditor, then I immediately save. When I go back and loaded my ROM in an emulator, all of my units all of a sudden gained a bunch of stats (I didn't see any pattern to the amount of stats gained). Is this because FEditor is writing the wrong data to the wrong offsets?

The units' base stats didn't change, I checked with Nightmare. Maybe FEditor did something with the save files? But when I loaded my backup ROM from before I saved with FEditor, all my units' stats are fine.

Has anyone had this kind of issues before with FEditor or am I not using it correctly?

Also, I've had other issues with FEditor: if I tried to edit text in the Text Editor, even something simple like adding a letter to a name, the game would crash when it tries to load the unit with the modified name. So far, I've only managed to be able to modify text in FEditor by first opening up the ROM, then immediately save, then open up the same ROM again and then I can edit and save. But as mentioned above, this causes other problems as well (so far the only issue I've noticed is with the unit stats)...

The forst time you save, feditor applies a bunch of patches. One of them alloes it to insert text without crashing the game. Another one changes how unit stats are saved, to allow character stats higher than 31. However, this patch means existing characters get their stats messed up. If you start a new save, the stats will be normal.

The forst time you save, feditor applies a bunch of patches. One of them alloes it to insert text without crashing the game. Another one changes how unit stats are saved, to allow character stats higher than 31. However, this patch means existing characters get their stats messed up. If you start a new save, the stats will be normal.

That's good to know, just want to make sure nothing else gets messed up if I wish to continue working with the same ROM.

Thanks!