Am I the only one who is bothered by some of the impractical shields?

Icey Azoth

Mainly the Hero and Paladin seem to suffer from this problem, what with the Paladins shield being very tiny and the Heros shield being on their shoulder(?). I get that some people like this but every time I look at them I remember the old shields from the first FEs(1-3),GBA,etc and I get really sad.I just wish the Paladins shield was a bit bigger and the Hero actually held his shield. Any thoughts guys?

Shields are something that I wish were actually "weapons" or at least inventory items that could do things. Until then, I just hate the notion of them being there and the characters not even using them. It's just all sorts of dumb. At least in RD they would block with them. Shields could be that one thing that could help balance walkers versus mounts too.

Given that I don't care about the other various inaccuracies throughout the series and especially in Fates (with regards to armor, obviously) I'm not bothered by the shields specifically. It would be nice to see characters using them properly, on offense and defense, but I'm not torn up that it's not the case.

Shields are something that I wish were actually "weapons" or at least inventory items that could do things. Until then, I just hate the notion of them being there and the characters not even using them. It's just all sorts of dumb. At least in RD they would block with them. Shields could be that one thing that could help balance walkers versus mounts too.

I know in Gaiden there were shield items, maybe if they brought back held items it might add bit more flair for us.

I'm glad that they added a blocking animation for when a unit takes 0 damage because simply tanking hits makes no sense but I wonder why they stopped doing what they did in RD, which is that units with shields would dodge by blocking an attack. At least when dealing with ranged attacks.

Anyway, so far I hadn't really noticed this yet. Considering that this is Panty Emblem, it's hard to take note of the practicality of shields of all things. But now that you have mentioned it, I probably won't be able to unsee it. But yeah, I definitedly miss the old Paladins from the SNES and GBA games. Not just because of the massive shields but they simply had a very majestic apperance in general.

I know in Gaiden there were shield items, maybe if they brought back held items it might add bit more flair for us.

Of course in Gaiden a shield had no effect on a unit's apperance. I mean, if they are supposed to actually use the shields that you equip them with... well, you'd need seperate blocking/dodging animations for every single class that can equip a shield. And IS of all people isn't going to go through that trouble. I mean, these are the guys who use the same animations for axes, swords and lances.

Edited by BrightBow

I'm glad that they added a blocking animation for when a unit takes 0 damage because simply tanking hits makes no sense but I wonder why they stopped doing what they did in RD, which is that units with shields would dodge by blocking an attack. At least when dealing with ranged attacks.

Anyway, so far I hadn't really noticed this yet. Considering that this is Panty Emblem, it's hard to take note of the practicality of shields of all things. But now that you have mentioned it, I probably won't be able to unsee it. But yeah, I definitedly miss the old Paladins from the SNES and GBA games. Not just because of the massive shields but they simply had a very majestic apperance in general.

Of course in Gaiden a shield had no effect on a unit's apperance. I mean, if they are supposed to actually use the shields that you equip them with... well, you'd need seperate blocking/dodging animations for every single class that can equip a shield. And IS of all people isn't going to go through that trouble. I mean, these are the guys who use the same animations for axes, swords and lances.

Well I say we pick out whatever we can enjoy from the new iterations of the series. If anything the new games have motivated me to play/replay the older ones and witness the shields in their former glory(looking at you FE1 paladins).I'm just hoping they take some of the criticism and perhaps improve. Hell the art style improved over awakening(don't get me started on the armor knights and the great knights with the toilet helmets).However it does seems to be becoming "panty emblem". The series has always been anime as hell though, it's just become more in touch with current anime trends(for better or worse), which is what I blame the shield designs on.

Like others here, I've never really taken issue to the shields, but this is something that has been bothering me for a while.

To be fair, most games don't use shields correctly and instead use them as some kind of counter weight for attacking instead of a thing that... you know... defends you.

You can actually use shields for both. Obviously it's supposed to defend you, but it makes for a great offhand deterrent for your opponent. In addition to making it particularly difficult to strike you, it makes your offhand dangerous as well.

You can actually use shields for both. Obviously it's supposed to defend you, but it makes for a great offhand deterrent for your opponent. In addition to making it particularly difficult to strike you, it makes your offhand dangerous as well.

That reminds me of Dark Souls shield use, which still isn't perfect but it's close enough. Of course fire emblem isn't dark souls but the shield were okay before, so why not just retrace their steps? Video Games always struggle with shields, all im asking is that the Paladins doesn't have a shield that is mostly there as an accessory. I know they do have "blocking animations" but it's like me blocking with shield from a Lego set.

Edited by Icey Azoth

I don't have a problem with shields and if you have a problem with Fates!Heroes, YOU'RE the problem! but I do appreciate how they looked in the GBA and Tellius days, particularly the special block animations.

Like others here, I've never really taken issue to the shields, but this is something that has been bothering me for a while.

I can't say it's always a bad thing but for certain classes it really stands out, such as the Dread Fighter and their reverse grip axes. Yes, that's a two handed axe being held like a knife. Yes, it looks silly.

I don't have a problem with shields and if you have a problem with Fates!Heroes, YOU'RE the problem! but I do appreciate how they looked in the GBA and Tellius days, particularly the special block animations.

I can't say it's always a bad thing but for certain classes it really stands out, such as the Dread Fighter and their reverse grip axes. Yes, that's a two handed axe being held like a knife. Yes, it looks silly.

It's worse when it's a hammer or a throwing axe.