Mismanagement of CG in Anime - BriHard

MasashiH

The Mismanagement of CG in Anime

I watched it entirely.

The video made me ask several questions in regard to CG and its relation with anime, but in the end I ended up with the conclusion that it is the intention of the artist/director behind the project.

I don't particularly dislike CG, but when it's terribad, I'll pass.

What is your opinion on using CG in anime? Any relatable experience if you wish to share?

Some shows use it well, other's don't, just like in Western media.

Fate/Zero uses it pretty effectively for Berserker, as the strange contrast between the CG and the rest of the show helps to cement how alien he is.

The few anime that I have watched either use CGI very sparingly (Madoka) or use it only in the OP and look amazing (JJBA). Back when I had a Sailor Moon wiki phase (too lazy to watch the anime) I was really disappointed by Crystal's use of 3D animations which still look ugly. I think more dramatic scenes should be hand drawn and CGI should be used for more mundane things so that no one even notices.

The video already does a comprehensive overview of the topic that I entirely agree with. The biggest problem, I think is how unnatural it can look at times, particularly in regards to movements and facial expressions. Berserk, Ajin and the dot hack GU movie, to name a few examples, look good a lot of the time but every so often you get a really weird face or the movements pull you out of the show. For Berserk in particular, the difficult to follow shots was a greater issue than the CGI itself. I generally prefer traditional animation more but CGI doesn't have to look bad.

Edited by NekoKnight