anecdote time

Junkhead

This dude hit me up on FB (yes, a dude, again) with the pre-text that he was interested in "making friends" and looking to get into the Smash 4 scene (he's from 64, over here). See, there's nothing wrong with that, off the bat. But then, as soon as I do accept the request (as a nice, guillable fool I can be), he starts putting the little heart "Like"-thingies on my pictures, which puts his intentions pretty clear. He starts typing up three paragraphs about his life, expecting me to constantly read all that and check up on them on my phone, and wonders why I "take my time" to answer them" (or something along said lines, in a rather innocent-ish way). I try to be nice about all this, and just keep it cool and try to answer in a polite, but dis-interested manner. He ocassionally brings up whether I'm going to the next tournament or if I'm interested in hanging out to play sometime (again, this one sketchy guy I've never even met, personally), which I kind of avoid.

So up to this point, some of you might be capable of thinking I was being paranoid, right? Well, thing is, even after I avoid his messages, for say, a week, he keeps on doing it (and with the same 3-4 phrases; "hey, how are you/what's up" aka the lines you use when you have no idea on how to hit on someone). and even so, I would barely answer with "yeah im cool" to try to make him understand that I am simply not interested. He even went as far as to keep insisting when I didn't answer back after two weeks. and he's done so numerous times. at this point, it's pretty clear he doesn't want to understand, so I ask a friend who also has him as "Mutual Friend", and he told me he's gay* and that he's also up his ass under the same false pretense. We were pretty fed up about how dense he was being about the whole thing, so he literally gave him a call at like 3 a.m and said some magical words to get him off our back. So he deleted/blocked both of us, which is...cool, I guess. I take calling the guy at 3 a.m may have been rather exaggerated, but it worked. Wouldn't be interested in "being friends" with a guy who's borderline-stalking.

For the record, there's a fine line between being able to tell when a person wants to hit on you and when they're actually interested in being your friend, or whatever. He didn't even bring up anything relevant as to talk about, and it just seemed incredibly akward, as if you can tell when they're not being honest. I've also been hit on by 3 or so dudes before, so..........

*and neither of us have anything against gay people, either (mods, please). Our community is generally very accepting, and we've even a few people who happen to be so. I also don't mind being considered attractive by a gay person.

Not sure if I sound like a dick after this? Maybe my wording wasn't the best...

Edited by Soul~!

Idk if I should be sorry or happy for you.

As I see you're an asked man... but I guess it's exactly your problem.

Seriously if I realized that someone hit on me and I wasn't interested in this person, I'd make it them clear.

If the person wouldn't stop with hitting, then goodbye friendship once for all.

Edited by Ayama Wirdo

i don't think what you did was wrong bc as a female ur taught to ditch boys who only want something sexual/romantic from you straight off the bat so i don't see why that same thing shouldn't apply to all genders

I was trying to be nice. Or at least, not an ass.

also, lol, "friendship".

I'm sorry if I sounded like as if I made fun of you.

Just tell him you feel uncomfortable and you'll be fine.

I guess everyone could get into a situation like this.

Thanks to internet everything is possible.

Edited by Ayama Wirdo

I was trying to be nice. Or at least, not an ass.

also, lol, "friendship".

Dear Soul,

Ignoring someone is not being nice. It's actually being an ass. If (you think) someone is hitting on you, and you don't want that, you tell them that it makes you uncomfortable and that you want them to stop flirting with you.

Dearest regards,

Excellen

well I see all my points have been covered already

well okay I'll elaborate a bit

but yeah I totally understand the whole "I don't want to just say anything rude to them" but passive-aggression is..... even worse. They were probably offended that you could only tell them directly what you thought through your friend, and not just being fully honest to begin with.

It may upset them when you are honest with your feelings, but it's a lot less painful on them than leading them on or letting them continue with their behaviour for so long when you don't make your own point clear.

That person wasn't exactly being the most considerate person in the world either, but they were given so much time to continue that behaviour, they might very well have stopped as soon as you said how you felt (that and also you might not have had to put up with it for as long)

Edited by Freohr Datia

See, here's the thing, I didn't want to come off as a paranoid homophobe. and no, I didn't have my friend speak on my behalf. He was rather doing it on both our accounts, if only because both of us were going through the same thing. I wouldn't have someone call a guy at 3 a.m to have them off my back.

I'm sorry if I sounded like as if I made fun of you.

It's alright, you didn't. (:

I?m glad you're a strong, independent man who needs no man to feel loved.

Good shit, mate!

I don't disagree. also, if he was at least actually half-decent in Brawl/Smash 4, I'd be interested.

i don't think what you did was wrong bc as a female ur taught to ditch boys who only want something sexual/romantic from you straight off the bat so i don't see why that same thing shouldn't apply to all genders

This wouldn't be a bad thing if it were coming from a girl.

I haven't been in a kind of situation like that but I feel like as long as you be as honest as possible about that, then you have no reason to feel guilty if that guy just wasn't willing to believe you

And I think for the sake of how he felt throughout that whole time, that would probably have been worth a blow taking

I guess unless they are like the vengeful rumour spreading type of person who ends up trying to turn everybody against you...

But either way letting him keep that up for so long is definitely not a "nice" move