Should I get Corpse Party 3DS as my first horror game?

Replica Model

The game releases on the 25th and I want to get into the Halloween spirit and to see if I actually can get scared this time. I've seen horror movies like Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, and Final Destination ( if that counts) but none of them actually scared me but rather intrigued me to see how the characters survive of if they'll survive. I guess I don't understand the feeling of horror or something? I don't know.

The only horror game I played was Five Nights at Freddy's number 1 and I must say the atmosphere was pretty stifling. I was tense when the animatronics were close by and made me jump a little when they were right in front of the opened doorway. Still when they got me I didn't freak out like the youtubers do but to happen to me for the first time I was more like, "Whoa! Chika got me!" instead of screaming my head off in fear. And yes, I did play at night with the lights off with my headphones on.

So, my question is, would Corpse Party actually scare me under the right circumstances? If I were to go into this game blind do you think I would actually be scared for once?

Eh? Maybe. I can't say I was particularly scared by it - unnerved, but never really awfully scared. I mostly played it for the excellent voicework.

I get more frights out of games like Rule of Rose, Fatal Frame, or Silent Hill then I do games like Corpse Party. It could be differing opinions, but...

I heard the original Corpse Party (the 3DS is an updated version) was pretty good, but I tend to avoid horror so I can maintain my sanity. However, sometimes I am intrigued by the story of such titles and want to know more despite the content therein.

Regarding Corpse Party, I think it's more of the unnerving atmosphere that can make one sick instead of being in a state of fear or tension. I only watched an LP and just made it three episodes in before I stopped at a game over sequence because of how disturbing it was to me (and the LPer had voices off, so it may be more intense with it on), but a part of me wants to delve back in to continue the story.

Then again, I'm not the type of player who regularly enjoys the horror genre, so it may be better to listen to an expert the matter.

Maybe I should watch an LP myself to see whats going on first. For someone who hasn't delved into the horror genre at all, I don't think I'm ready for Corpse Party. I'd rather keep my sanity and get a full night's sleep, haha. Thanks for the replies.

I played the Corpse Party games on my Vita a few times ago, and I'm not generally an adept of horror, but I was pleasently surprised.
​The situation is pretty unnerving (the fact you're pretty much required to play it at night (Or in your bath), due to the dark setting is a nice touch..)

It is really story/character focused, with many bad ends that range from horrible to truly disturbing (suffice to say it's hard to stay calm and focused in such an environment. No water or food, vengefull spirits, bodies everywhere (that acts as the game's collectibles).).

I personally really enjoyed it. There's a great work on the ambiance, and pretty good writing (though cruel and twisted.).

Just in case anyone was wondering what ending I stopped watching the Corpse Party LP, I'll put it in the spoilers. This was near the very start of the game.

[spoiler=Wrong End 1, with minor edits]Taken from the Corpse Party Wiki with minor edits.

"Three child spirits appear and surround Naomi. She is paralyzed and unable to call out for help. After describing how scared she was, the children spirits force her to swallow a pair of scissors then disappear. Naomi lets out one last jerking sound of pure pain and the dripping sound of her blood is heard as the children giggle in pure delight."

The writing and descriptions alone made me sick as not only I could see it happening, I could feel it happening. This is probably intensified if voices were on, but the LPer I was watching (NicoB), had them off as he likes to do the voices himself.

But remember, I am not an expert on horror and tend to stay away from it. Your reactions may vary.

I kind of know the feeling, though, I'm slightly more interested in the lore of an interesting horror than I am characters surviving, though that's a plus.

If I had the choice, I'd have truly enjoyed it if Corpse Party was my first horror game.

But yeah, Corpse Party is more psychological horror, and would it actually scare you? It's quite probable, and I unquestionably recommend it if you're getting into horror.

I forgot the release date actually, I'll be getting it too.

Edited by Soledai