Adding Palettes

Kyne

Howdy folks! I've been editing some palettes in FE8 and having a blast recently. It's been neat to see what I can do with it but I was wondering if there's a way to ADD palettes into the game rather than editing existing ones. Often times I feel a little... "restricted"? when just changing palettes around and editing them because "What if I need them in this rom later?" So would there be a way of adding specific palettes to the game? Like for an example in FE8 Gerik has 3 palettes (Merc Hero and Ranger) but maybe I want to add 3 more for... i dunno Cavalier Paladin and GK.

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance!

The way I do this might not be the quickest way, but what I do is find where the palette is in the ROM. I don't really know FE8 nightmare modules, but there should be one that shows the offsets of all of the battle palettes.

Then, I would open HxD, go to the offset from nightmare (except subtract 8000000) So pretend you have AB1234 as a place where a palette is located.

Okay, so this is the only part I can't remember completely. The palettes of a character will be a decently long (but not huge by any means) string of data. If you look at multiple palettes you'll recognize a pattern amongst all of them. So you'll obviously know where the text code begins, but where it ends is another can of worms. I would check but I am not near my files now.

ANYWAYS, you're gonna wanna copy and paste that string of data somewhere else. Make note of where you copied it, obviously, and maybe even save that string of data in a .txt file so if you wanna make new palettes you can just quickly grab your template and edit it from there!