What's your favorite art style for fire emblem?

Dinar87

What's your most wanted art style for fire emblem?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see?

• Tellius-styled
    • Current-style
    • GBA-styled
    • NES
    • SNES
    • Shadow dragon
    • FE12
    • Other

I like Kozaki as a person and as an artist. The flak they get is undeserved due to the art director's decisions.

If anything I'm fine with the current art style with it not being too anime.

DS is too realistic in portraits (the character art is fine though)

If anything I like PoR's shading more than RD's.

Initially I will say Tellius is the best, I'm biased towards the Tellius games, but in all honestity I found current style better, is so expresive in the portraits, it helps a lot to convey emotions. The portraits in all the other games makes characters look like unexpressive dolls in comparision.... I will give the GBA style the honor of the best animations. Overall, my vote goes to current style.

Not sure if the thread is referring to the style of in-game models and animations or the art style used for the official art / character portraits (in the case of the GCN games and onward), but TBH the GBA games are my preference for both (though Tellius is a close second for art style and Fates did a good job with the in-game stuff on the whole).

Nothing particularly beats the GBA magic animations, haha. And a lot of the other attack animations were awesome and dynamic in the GBA era as well. None of the 3D games have really been able to capture it that well, whether it be the slightly-janky at times Tellius animations or the lackluster 3DS ones. (Though to be fair, I haven't seen the ones from the NES-SNES era or the DS Marth remakes... if anyone wants to link me some stuff that'd be cool, I could look it up myself but don't feeeeeeel like it that much)

Art style-wise, I like everything from the GBA era through Tellius-- though granted my exposure to anime and RPGs was pretty limited at the time, I really liked that they were anime-style western fantasy, which I am a huge sucker for, but with modest/practical outfits for the most part, and good, pretty memorable character designs. Between the two, Tellius probably just got better, I think.

I like the art style for Fates/Awakening as well, esp Fates with just how diverse and interesting the characters' facial features can be, but yeah, I'm not such a fan of many of the outfits... (bring back my epic broody shaman/druid roves OTL)

Also, perhaps a personal/subjective nitpick, but the way Kozaki draws abs and muscles in general is... weird to me. Unappealing, that is. Not a huge dealbreaker, but on characters like Orochi who probably wouldn't have the most muscular figures...? The exaggerated torso lines look weird to me. (and Charlotte... could have been buffer IMO. Also has the weird stomach lines but like... they don't look like she's trying to be drawn muscular....?? IDK it's a weird opinion I know)

Edited by BANRYU