I don't feel entirely satisfied with the current direction of FE

Dinar87

I don't feel entirely satisfied with the current direction of FE  

120 members have voted

1. 1. How satisfied are you with the current state of fire emblem?

• It's near perfect
    • Good but flawed in some ways
    • It's ok
    • Bad but has some positives
    • Downright terrible FE IS DEAD

For a while now I've wanted to see a Retreat Skill that would allow a unit to survive a killing attack but put them out of comission for three chapters. The idea would be to have it come locked to plot important units for the duration where they need to stick around in the story and then when they are free to die you can unequip it and give it to whomever you want. I just feel like retreating would gel better with the plot if it was an actual game mechanic. Always feels a bit odd for a character to receive a life threatening injury only for them to hang around no worse for wear throughout the story. Just a little thought of mine I wanted to share. Not even sure if it's even relevant at this point.

I actually wouldn't mind if such was made mandatory where it is justified in-story. For example:

• Awakening Chapter 3 have you battle against Raimi due to a misunderstanding, and, well, even if you have half of your army dead/retired, Chrom would still brush off the mistake as nothing and easily forgive Raimi - which is absurdly forgiving for Chrom if you are playing Classic mode. (If the above led into an all-out war between Ferox and Ylisse, then the deaths in Classic Mode makes better sense.)
  • Or in the case for Virion, he retreats for a couple of chapters until the Valmese campaign starts - if he is defeated thereafter, he dies outright.
  • Or say Chapter 20 of Conquest where the entire thing is essentially a tournament match that starts and ends on a generally friendlier note than the rest of the campaign.
Edited by henrymidfields

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there should be a halfway point between Casual and Classic. I think character death should remain a series stable but measures could be added to make it less frustrating. A mode with battle saves and a limited supply of revival items would make the permadeath more approachable but also not fundamentally change the nature of the game.

A half-way mode on top of Casual and Classic would be preferable, but also straight-up axing Casual would disservice many newer fans.

I'm not sure why people are so fixated on how other people play and experience the game-- it's not like it's an online game where their performance can directly impact your experience.

I think you're overthinking this or confused (or I wasn't clear enough, in which case, my apologies). Because what you're talking about here is the notion one has about a game, and what the game is or means to them (and what they consider important in the game). What I'm referring to here are the differences between old school vs modern. That's about it. I haven't messed up with whether one plays the game in the correct or wrong way ~

In fact when one plays a game the wrong way it means you're hitting the wrong button or giving a wrong command (imo).

The reason why I talk about that is because you started talking about "pure" experiences and then made a list of what you thought that meant; I merely stated that it was not the same for everone.