Fire Emblem and Stealth Missions

shadowofchaos

The replayability is the only weakness of a stealth mission, because after playing the first time you know exactly what to do in the second run since you're not affected by the RNG. Only a different A.I. of the opponent could change the gameplay of the stealth mission in future runs.

But I still defend my point to see at least one stealth mission in future FE games / hacks. It forces me to think contrary than usual.

Seems what I meant to say went completely over your head - I meant in the sense of "it's so bad, it might dissuade me from replaying the game".

While a full-blown stealth mission is really hard to implement well, a pseudo-stealth could make for a great chapter goal. Basically, you want to get a courier unit (a weakling or an NPC with a brain) to a specific point, but you need to divert attention from them.

If there's a single map that truly encourages low-manning, it's this one. It pretty much encourages sending in only the avatar (forced anyways) and maybe a high-movement unit with Locktouch skill if the avatar isn't one.

The rewards for completing the stealth mission? 10K gold, Boots, and a Master Seal. Boots may sound nice but not sure if the rewards in total are worth the effort and potentially losing out on experience.

Completing the stealth portion wouldn't be as bad if you can OHKO/ORKO the guards and not sound the alarm.

Mikotos chapter imo is one of the worst designed maps in the entire series if not the worst. Its just bad.

I can think of worse, but I'd rather not drag this off topic.

No point to stealth gameplay, its worse than Fog of War - even the Port Badon chapter in FE7 implements it badly and that's given a plot reason for it. At least you can decide to ignore it if you don't want to make the chapter more difficult for yourself.

I actually enjoyed it, but then again stealth games are one of my favorite genres. I just went with a maximum of 5 and went like that. You barely do any fighting anyway, so low meaning it isn't a big deal. Going with a full team is only asking to get your ass kicked. At least that was my thought when I first looked at it.

I don't mind stealth chapters, and would like to see them continue in the future, but maybe as something optional for an extra reward or something. I can understand the frustration of being forced to do it, but I do like options, and would hate to see it just down in the trash.

I actually enjoyed it, but then again stealth games are one of my favorite genres. I just went with a maximum of 5 and went like that. You barely do any fighting anyway, so low meaning it isn't a big deal. Going with a full team is only asking to get your ass kicked. At least that was my thought when I first looked at it.

The problem is:

Counting tiles in FE for enemy range after their movement is fake difficulty.

What part about that facilitates an actual strategy and planning?

You could say it tells you to plan out your class path for high move and locktouch. But is that really stealthy? Or just generic move stacking for other strategies and better used on other maps?

There is no actual stealth mechanics. No ways for the player to immerse themselves in the context. Just a simple gimmick implementation.

Edited by shadowofchaos

The problem is:

Counting tiles in FE for enemy range after their movement is fake difficulty.

What part about that facilitates an actual strategy and planning?

You could say it tells you to plan out your class path for high move and locktouch. But is that really stealthy? Or just generic move stacking for other strategies and better used on other maps?

There is no actual stealth mechanics. No ways for the player to immerse themselves in the context. Just a simple gimmick implementation.

All I said is that I enjoyed it, and that it's clearly meant for low manning. Don't know how my comment warranted this.

I agree, it is a gimmick. But it's a gimmick that i personally enjoyed. Already said I can see why others find it annoying for the very reasons you stated.

All I said is that I enjoyed it, and that it's clearly meant for low manning. Don't know how my comment warranted this.

I agree, it is a gimmick. But it's a gimmick that i personally enjoyed. Already said I can see why others find it annoying for the very reasons you stated.

Sorry if you took it as a forward statement... but I don't see how your commented warranted anything? I don't see attacks or anything that could be seen as offensive. I just stated it in response to your comment normally.

...Well when you take that enemy's vision radius increases after they move...

Can we just throw this idea out the window yet?

I should be playing Fire Emblem, not sneak around like a dope.

They should know by now that it doesn't work as well as they hope.

Edited by TheVinceKnight