revelations - how to salvage odin?

Radiant head

so i heard odin is really bad in this game because of his low bases and average growths, and that he needs to get out of dark mage asap. i'm starting revelations now, and want to use him for just because he's a familiar face from awakening.

would, say, throwing a dread scroll or hero brand (though have to be careful on how i use the latter) on him from the get go be sufficient? or is grinding basically required?

also, how well can he pull off grandmaster? i heard speed would be the main issue.

Grinding is really required in Revelation because he and Niles don't join until chapter 18, and they join at a good 10 levels lower than the rest of your party (you also have to be careful in the chapter itself as they can die in one hit - a couple of party members need to hang back to cover for them as soon as they join).

The bases and growths are only part of the problem - he also joins right before the game starts using exclusively promoted units. Also, the chapter he joins in has to be tackled right after the one before, without the chance to save beforehand.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

okay, looks like i'll be grinding then.

is dread fighter significantly more helpful than samurai for getting him off the ground?

Depends on how much you plan on grinding him. If it's a lot, I'd say so. In addition to being able to use throwing weapons to debuff, he still has access to swords, and with his passive, you could score some lucky critical hits. It also has better immediate pair up bonuses for what it's worth. Especially because it doesn't need to promote into another class. And unlike throwing sword weapons, he doesn't get the nasty penalty to go along with it. If not, I'd probably keep sword master.

Growth wise? Honestly? Not really. Samurai and Swordmaster actually have good growths. I like them more than DF tbh. Speed is probably his worst attribute and DF is a bit slower. It's not significant, but considering it's probably Odin's worst stat? It's worth noting. The class itself however is just plain better. Skill wise, I'd rather have the Samurai skills. The only real skill that I find to be great for DF is Aggressor. The rest are moves that make him tankier to magic and status effects, but you get +20% res growth as a DF which makes him have 40%. Pretty good for a physical guy. Clarity is nice too for some of the annoying staff enemies later on though.

Edited by Augestein

Grinding is really required in Revelation because he and Niles don't join until chapter 18, and they join at a good 10 levels lower than the rest of your party (you also have to be careful in the chapter itself as they can die in one hit - a couple of party members need to hang back to cover for them as soon as they join).

Even on Lunatic, you can salvage units without grinding on Revelation. You just have to be extremely careful and decide on those units early on. The level scaling is fair enough if you mooch kill with two ranged weapon dual attacks with units like Marx/Xander or Ryouma. Even better if you can Seal Def with someone like Oboro with a Guard Naginata (and even whittle them down) beforehand for physical units like Lazward or Seal Res via Rinkah or an Oni reclass. Hell, a captured one would do.

You just have to do it at the latter part of the map when you're not getting overrun by Paladins and Great Knights.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Heartseeker is amazing if you'll turn him into any sort of melee unit. Otherwise, Malefic Aura can be replaced by something more useful (like Duelist's Blow).

I still think that Odin is best when in a mage class. I thought he would be terrible as a mage too, but to be honest, I think he's an even worse physical unit. His growths aren't perfect, but I still think he's the best sorcerer in the game. He's oddly bulky, evasive, and strong if you grind him up. As far as skills go, I'd go with this set no matter what class he's in. Whatever fare skill he's using, Luna, Death Blow, Pavice, and Aeigus. If you need help finding any of these skills, say so and I'll put him up on my castle.

Best way to salvage Odin is to pop a ebon wing and make him a dark flier. You get an immediate boost to your magic and speed, the +2 speed skill, and your future growths are skewed in favor of +speed. Which patches up his biggest issue as a dark mage: he's SLOW, and he struggles to do real damage. As a dark flier he keeps tomes as a usable weapon class. Which is nice, because you don't have to completely grind all the way up from E rank before he can start putting in work. Lances let him function as a hybrid magic/strength user, similar to grandmaster. But as a grandmaster he still suffers from low speed. Dark flier really plays to all his strengths, and mitigates his worst weaknesses.

Edited by Shoblongoo

It's doable. 5% class growth rate is meh, but it's in line with Great Master, another hybrid class. Odin's personal magic growth is 30%, which makes it workable, albeit a bit low.